• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
The best thing about all this shit sims/nancy/everything content is some of the members actually having (pea sized) balls and saying something in the comments without being immediately deleted. Then comes along some disciple of the cult to kiss ass. What a bunch of idiots.

Topcyclist

@k9 said:
"Without Dan, these streams have become so sterile. Best use of GBeast streams for me these days is turning them on at night to lull me into sleep out of sheer boredom.
Constructive criticism: Without Dan, boring game = boring video. Consider playing something energetic.
I know this is harsh, but this is not a personal insult to any staff. The group dynamic is all wonky, and it's just not working right now.
Personal take, of course."

"Most found this video great. Guess to each their own. GBeast has put out quality content and increased since Dan left. Dan was great but I think the crew now gets a chance to showcase games they really love. Sims is one of them. We need more nancy drew as well. I also need a stream of sonic racing allstars with explanations of why its better than mario kart. ha. Try be nicer in your criticism thou. you come off too mean and insult staff by saying they are boring."

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
"Most found this video great. Guess to each their own. GBeast has put out quality content and increased since Dan left. Dan was great but I think the crew now gets a chance to showcase games they really love. Sims is one of them. We need more nancy drew as well. I also need a stream of sonic racing allstars with explanations of why its better than mario kart. ha. Try be nicer in your criticism thou. you come off too mean and insult staff by saying they are boring."
“Also, I’ve never had sex in my life or seen a real life vagina. Abby’s awesome!”

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013
As someone who cancelled their 6 or 7-ish years of premium when Dan quit, nothing the site has produced since coming back to the office after goty has made me rethink my decision. A lot of people aired their grievances about the website during their awful goty in regards to both the quality and quantity of the content. Since then nothing's improved... in fact you could argue that the site is in a significantly worse spot now than 12 months ago. GBWest still has the same inconsistent scheduling along with the staff wanting to be somewhere else, but now they have audio production issues. GBEast has no ongoing pre-recorded series and appears creatively bankrupt where it seems like it's Vinny trying his hardest to spin shit into gold.

You'd think that after running a recruiting drive during goty they'd come into the new year firing, especially being a staff member down, but nah playing mario for 2 hours a week FOR WORK is way too difficult.

Sorry for the rant... but not that sorry.

YodaBB

Nov 19, 2019
Is there some reason GBW insist on still using those shitty lapel mics? I would have thought one of the reasons they started using a desk would be so they could use proper mounted condenser mics. How come Vinny figured this shit out, but not Jason/Jan. Instead we have to put up with constant rustling, "BANANANA BREAD LOL!" and Jan forgetting to turn mics on and off.

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
The best thing about all this shit sims/nancy/everything content is some of the members actually having (pea sized) balls and saying something in the comments without being immediately deleted. Then comes along some disciple of the cult to kiss ass. What a bunch of idiots.

Topcyclist

@k9 said:
"Without Dan, these streams have become so sterile. Best use of GBeast streams for me these days is turning them on at night to lull me into sleep out of sheer boredom.
Constructive criticism: Without Dan, boring game = boring video. Consider playing something energetic.
I know this is harsh, but this is not a personal insult to any staff. The group dynamic is all wonky, and it's just not working right now.
Personal take, of course."

I think boring is the nicest way of putting it.

We need more nancy drew as well.
Also, what the fuck?

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Also, what the fuck?
Those people are insane. They have no clue on how to have a personal opinion on anything and need to just follow along with the crowd they are in. Talking about a topic or place and never saying both good and bad things about it makes you the boring person, not the one trying to start a conversation about how the thing can be better.

As for CheeseWheel, yeah, they are totally in a worse spot than they were last year. Even with Jeff being gone for a few months during the summer, Dan has really put a large dent in the site with actually leaving forever. The constant issues, the horrible attitudes and plain laziness and their garbage pile of a actual desk working space is extremely unprofessional. I don't blame the people moving out of that office space either, they are disgusting slobs with all those piles of cardboard and other crap..... But I guess that's who they really are. Just lazy gross people.

Giant Bomb could be something special again, but that isn't going to happen. Dan (as much as I hated him as a person) was the only one that really had the energy to make SOME sort of series happen, but with him gone, it's just a group of people who HAVE to be in the same spot, so "might as well put on something at some point in the week to show the bosses we are hear and don't need to be canned". It really is pathetic. I'd much rather take my $35 a year and give that to someone else who actually deserves it.

Reactions: SpiceRacz

eot

Apr 13, 2012
I can't tell if this is ironic or not, please halp

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
On the Beastcast Alex starts talking about the Sonic movie. Jeff asks him multiple times not to say any spoilers. Alex completely ignores him every time and goes on to describe the entire movie’s plot. The whole while insisting that he isn’t saying any spoilers whilst the rest of the cast (Vinny & Abby) laugh at Jeff’s disappointment.

Now, I couldn’t give less of a shit about the Sonic movie prrsonally, but I could tell that Jeff genuinely didn’t want any spoilers, even if he tried to play it off in good humour. Not to mention the fact that I’m sure a significant percentage of GB’s audience wouldn’t want to hear spoilers either. But, Alex doesn’t give a fuck.

He’s done this a ton of times in the past, too. Literally goes through a game’s entire plot. Not sure why that is necessary when describing a game you are playing or whether you enjoy it or not.

I just think that Alex is simply a deep down, irredeemable arsehole. Just a pure vindictive cunt. No one can be that dense and oblivious. He does it on purpose.

What a miserable, pathetic human being.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: BibleBLACKED

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Holy crap.

I just tuned into UPF... They've got a swear jar and Ben is throwing everyone who says a bad word under the bus. I commented "Swear Jar? Really? Welcome to Giant Bomb: Fun Police. Where we can't let anyone get offended by bad words".

Immediately I got several people yelling at me "ITS A JOKE ASSHOLE!" "looks like someone is offended for someone being offended!" and a big banner saying "You've Been Warned. Cool it!"...... and my comment was deleted out of the chat, while others who screamed at me and called me an asshole are praised.

What the heck is wrong over there? That's actually insane that I'm the one being yelled at for something that is rediculous in the first place.... a swear jar on a Giant Bomb premium chat.....

Oh, and this was the very beginning of UPF, and someone said Jan has a kid with him in the control room, so that's why.... Even so... maybe don't bring a kid to a place of business where swears at thrown out as filler words then.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
On the Beastcast Alex starts talking about the Sonic movie. Jeff asks him multiple times not to say any spoilers. Alex completely ignores him every time and goes on to describe the entire movie’s plot. The whole while insisting that he isn’t saying any spoilers whilst the rest of the cast (Vinny & Abby) laugh at Jeff’s disappointment.

Now, I couldn’t give less of a shit about the Sonic movie prrsonally, but I could tell that Jeff genuinely didn’t want any spoilers, even if he tried to play it off in good humour. Not to mention the fact that I’m sure a significant percentage of GB’s audience wouldn’t want to hear spoilers either. But, Alex doesn’t give a fuck.

He’s done this a ton of times in the past, too. Literally goes through a game’s entire plot. Not sure why that is necessary when describing a game you are playing or whether you enjoy it or not.

I just think that Alex is simply a deep down, irredeemable arsehole. Just a pure vindictive cunt. No one can be that dense and oblivious. He does it on purpose.

Alex does seem like a rather miserable person. Probably wants to make everyone else around him as equally miserable. Between him and abby I can see why Dan jumped to go work for the wwe.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014

Never forget that Alex snaked his way into GB in the first place, he isn't an OG member, he was just a quick silent hire when Rockband/Harmonix died cause he was Jeff's friend, hell he was in New York getting paid for fuck all at one point before the split

eot

Apr 13, 2012
I highly doubt it. That place is like a weird cult. “No one can disparage our leaders” “You can’t have your own opinion”

It’s psychotic.
Wanting more Nancy Drew was the thing that stood out the most to me.
Never forget that Alex snaked his way into GB in the first place, he isn't an OG member, he was just a quick silent hire when Rockband/Harmonix died cause he was Jeff's friend, hell he was in New York getting paid for fuck all at one point before the split
Alex was OG GameSpot though

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
I had to make a long drive today and couldn't help myself from hate listening to the Beastcast. I didn't finish it because they talk about everything but current gaming.

But Abby tried to build her gamer cred by talking about Call of Duty. She mentioned how she saw so many pro-Trump messages/gamer tags in it and quickly said how she could never play with any of THOSE kind of people in disgust.
The kicker was her talking about her clan named "BUTT". Her Call of Duty Clan ... named Butt. She's too good for conservative or pro-Trump gamers but dumbass childish poop humor, not even a joke, is supposed to be cute and funny? From a person that tries so hard to be woke and taken seriuosly? Poor woman in a misogynist world, right? Again, she works for a business but is happy to run off potential customers based on politics.
Add it to the Giant Pile of classic examples why Abby represents all that is wrong with games media. Ben too because he's disgusting and sucks the life out of everything. How do they think they have the moral high ground when they block out and dehumanize other people from their insulated world? Irony is completely lost on people like her. I can't even fathom how pathetic her followers and fandom have to be to defend this shit.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
I had to make a long drive today and couldn't help myself from hate listening to the Beastcast. I didn't finish it because they talk about everything but current gaming.

But Abby tried to build her gamer cred by talking about Call of Duty. She mentioned how she saw so many pro-Trump messages/gamer tags in it and quickly said how she could never play with any of THOSE kind of people in disgust.
The kicker was her talking about her clan named "BUTT". Her Call of Duty Clan ... named Butt. She's too good for conservative or pro-Trump gamers but dumbass childish poop humor, not even a joke, is supposed to be cute and funny? From a person that tries so hard to be woke and taken seriuosly? Poor woman in a misogynist world, right? Again, she works for a business but is happy to run off potential customers based on politics.
Add it to the Giant Pile of classic examples why Abby represents all that is wrong with games media. Ben too because he's disgusting and sucks the life out of everything. How do they think they have the moral high ground when they block out and dehumanize other people from their insulated world? Irony is completely lost on people like her. I can't even fathom how pathetic her followers and fandom have to be to defend this shit.
A game that popular having some non liberal players. The shocker.

Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist
Jul 7, 2019
Holy shit....you guys aren't kidding about GBeast becoming the Abby show now since Dan left. I actually like The Sims a lot. I play it whenever I'm in the mood to laugh at some of the stupid stuff I can do in those games, but what the fuck is wrong with them letting her just play so much Sims constantly now that Dan is gone.

rickyEGM

Aug 29, 2019

Honestly, good for Alex on this one. Lmao @ not wanting Sonic movie spoilers.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TexMex

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I can't tell if this is ironic or not, please halp
If it's ironic, then every other nutcase over there must be as well. Check out the comments thread on the Sims stream. It's full of people calmly stating they are tired of all the same boring content, while the cult responds with snarky defense and adoration of the shit sandwiches they eat up.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Rorie saying on UPF that Monday’s newsletter is written by Abby and talking about The Sims got me to unsubscribe from it. I really think that newsletter could be a great thing, but since they refuse to talk to their audience at all, and the newsletter just has changed into another rest the staff can just berate their own audience while giving them another opportunity to brag about themselves.

I miss Jar Time, I miss when there was more than three games ever in streams. oh look Sekiro.... again....

Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Holy crap.

I just tuned into UPF... They've got a swear jar and Ben is throwing everyone who says a bad word under the bus. I commented "Swear Jar? Really? Welcome to Giant Bomb: Fun Police. Where we can't let anyone get offended by bad words".

Immediately I got several people yelling at me "ITS A JOKE ASSHOLE!" "looks like someone is offended for someone being offended!" and a big banner saying "You've Been Warned. Cool it!"...... and my comment was deleted out of the chat, while others who screamed at me and called me an asshole are praised.

What the heck is wrong over there? That's actually insane that I'm the one being yelled at for something that is rediculous in the first place.... a swear jar on a Giant Bomb premium chat.....

Oh, and this was the very beginning of UPF, and someone said Jan has a kid with him in the control room, so that's why.... Even so... maybe don't bring a kid to a place of business where swears at thrown out as filler words then.
I read some of the chat log on QLCrew.com for the UPF. People were jumping down your throat, jesus. I especially like that one guy tattled on you to Rorie in his reply. Can't say I'm surprised. You can join us in the Ban Lands for expressing disagreement or opinion. Or ride the line and sow the seeds of anarchy among the cult for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: bender

bender

Apr 12, 2010
Eh, if you got back even further into GiantBomb lore, there was general disappointment when Brad was hired when everyone assumed it was going to be Alex.

rickyEGM

Aug 29, 2019
Yeah that's not really true at all. Alex was in the podcast before giant bomb was even a thing and obviously with them at gamespot. It was a pretty big shock when he announced that he signed with Harmonix. A loud part of the GB community wanted Alex on board and officially signed and it felt like a big deal when it finally happened. Wouldn't call that a "quick, silent hire" at all.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TexMex

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Upcoming
Party of One: Sims 4 100 Baby Challenge - Part 1

PREMIUM LIVE SHOW

FEB 24 8:00 AM PST

That's right folks, mark your calendars for more hot Sims action. And this is only part 1. It's going to be a party.

• LOL
Reactions: donfonzie

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Upcoming
Party of One: Sims 4 100 Baby Challenge - Part 1

PREMIUM LIVE SHOW

FEB 24 8:00 AM PST

That's right folks, mark your calendars for more hot Sims action. And this is only part 1. It's going to be a party.
Lol. Imagine paying for this shit.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
Man, I think some of you guys take this shit too seriously. I don’t think Alex genuinely was trying to spoil A FUCKING SANIC movie for Jeff. His whole point was the entire stupid plot was in the trailer and nobody gives a shit about the plot. Jeff’s whole schtick is being curmudgeonly just like Alex’s.

Abby is obnoxious tho. +1 for not having terrible vocal fry or valley girl up talk, but good god shut up about The Sims. Bring back Dan

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004

(The implication being Sonic is silly, a kids movie is silly, and I don’t think Jeff was genuinely worried about spoilers, nor do I think Alex is a big enough asshole to spoil it for him on purpose if he actually thought, as two people who’ve worked together for years, that Jeff really cared. And if Jeff did actually care about the plot points of Sonic and isn’t just happy to take his kid to it and Alex misread the situation, I bet Alex would apologize)

Last edited:
Reactions: ElKabong

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Man, I think some of you guys take this shit too seriously. I don’t think Alex genuinely was trying to spoil A FUCKING SANIC movie for Jeff. His whole point was the entire stupid plot was in the trailer and nobody gives a shit about the plot. Jeff’s whole schtick is being curmudgeonly just like Alex’s.

Abby is obnoxious tho. +1 for not having terrible vocal fry or valley girl up talk, but good god shut up about The Sims. Bring back Dan
1. Don't say "sanic" you sound like a moron. Memes, made by children, for children are not funny.
2. Yes, people do take things seriously, and some people don't like going in knowing everything about a movie. Why see it in the first place if someone tells you everything that happens? Some people don't even watch trailers, as some people like going in with a untainted opinion of the film. And just because you think it's stupid and pointless, doesn't mean everyone feels the same way. No one is acting like the Sonic movie is the gold standard for cinema and it's the next Oscar worthy film, but at the same time people want to see it and not want to know everything about it. There is nothing wrong with that.
3. Like I said, yeah, people take things too seriously sometimes, but if we didn't, then its worthless to even give our attention to it in the first place. Giant Bomb is something we are passionate about, and seeing something that means a great deal to us, just get completely deconstructed before our eyes by people who don't care about it, and just are using it as a steeping stone for their careers or push their own political agenda sucks. We just want Giant Bomb to be a great piece of entertainment, and when it gets ruined it makes us a bit upset.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
1. Don't say "sanic" you sound like a moron. Memes, made by children, for children are not funny.
Oh shut the fuck up. You're in a thread for watching a bunch of fat middle aged men play video games you fucking manchild. Go back to the GB forums if you need people's posts carefully curated so you don't get upset.

Last edited:

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I find it hilarious how 90% of this thread actively hates and openly criticizes this fallen site and yet still clearly visits it beyond the daily 😂 Some of you still pay to complain 🤣

Nothing will ever change or get better with GB.

Just listen to everything up until GOTY 2016 and move on.

Imagine taking time out of your life to monitor Abby’s tweets

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Oh shut the fuck up. You're in a thread for watching a bunch of fat middle aged men play video games you fucking manchild. Go back to the GB forums if you need people's posts carefully curated so you don't get upset.
Nah, because you can immediately tell the people who are immature and can’t just have a conversation on the internet without going straight to calling everyone a fat man child.

Like really? Come on, if you are going to take potshots at me, step up your game., because you are coming off like a 12 year old.

But honestly I kid. We can all have an opinion without name calling. The reason I posted what I did, is because I really hate that “Sanic” meme. How is misspelling a character’s name even remotely funny? And yeah, I actually like sonic, those games were rad when they came out, and while the newer sonic games haven’t been all spectacular, some can still be really good (The GBA series, Generations, Mania).

The only real issue I have is the people who have turned Sonic into something weird and gross. Or people like Giant Bomb who crap on the fandom, but then are the ones talking about it and making jokes and memes like they secretly like it, but are ashamed of it, so they have to cover it up by making fun of it. It’s kinda weird.

Anyways, just to clarify, I didn’t call you a moron, I said “you SOUND like a moron” which was probably not worded the right way and came off harsher than I intended.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
2. Yes, people do take things seriously, and some people don't like going in knowing everything about a movie. Why see it in the first place if someone tells you everything that happens? Some people don't even watch trailers, as some people like going in with a untainted opinion of the film. And just because you think it's stupid and pointless, doesn't mean everyone feels the same way. No one is acting like the Sonic movie is the gold standard for cinema and it's the next Oscar worthy film, but at the same time people want to see it and not want to know everything about it. There is nothing wrong with that.
3. Like I said, yeah, people take things too seriously sometimes, but if we didn't, then its worthless to even give our attention to it in the first place. Giant Bomb is something we are passionate about, and seeing something that means a great deal to us, just get completely deconstructed before our eyes by people who don't care about it, and just are using it as a steeping stone for their careers or push their own political agenda sucks. We just want Giant Bomb to be a great piece of entertainment, and when it gets ruined it makes us a bit upset.
1: ok boomer? Is that what the kids say? The point is nobody gives a fuck about sanic hedgehog’s plot.

2: if you’re taking the Sonic movie that seriously then you’re the fucking child. I don’t think Jeff Bakalar, who is about my age and I’ve been listening to for years, gives two shits about the actual plot

3: I think it’s fine to seriously discuss the level of quality of the content, but there’s a lot of goofing going on that seemingly is just over your head if you think people like Jeff and Alex are miserable human beings. They both have dry, deadpan/sarcastic senses of humor, but at the end of the day they’re having fun on a podcast. Try to have some fun yourself sometime, you may enjoy it

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
That is hate speech to all the fat middle aged video game playing men here that read that. I'm taking to the blogosphere to inform the community that fat middle aged video game playing man lives matter.

#fatgamermanlivesmatter
#ilostmytwinky

brap

Jan 9, 2018
That is hate speech to all the fat middle aged video game playing men here that read that. I'm taking to the blogosphere to inform the community that fat middle aged video game playing man lives matter.

#fatgamermanlivesmatter
#ilostmytwinky
0 problems with old people playing video games. I ain't gonna watch you though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nah, because you can immediately tell the people who are immature and can’t just have a conversation on the internet without going straight to calling everyone a fat man child.

Like really? Come on, if you are going to take potshots at me, step up your game., because you are coming off like a 12 year old.

But honestly I kid. We can all have an opinion without name calling. The reason I posted what I did, is because I really hate that “Sanic” meme. How is misspelling a character’s name even remotely funny? And yeah, I actually like sonic, those games were rad when they came out, and while the newer sonic games haven’t been all spectacular, some can still be really good (The GBA series, Generations, Mania).

The only real issue I have is the people who have turned Sonic into something weird and gross. Or people like Giant Bomb who crap on the fandom, but then are the ones talking about it and making jokes and memes like they secretly like it, but are ashamed of it, so they have to cover it up by making fun of it. It’s kinda weird.

Anyways, just to clarify, I didn’t call you a moron, I said “you SOUND like a moron” which was probably not worded the right way and came off harsher than I intended.
It's a retarded meme which are everywhere. Get used to it. You literally only post on gaf for this thread so I wouldn't expect you to see any of that garbage.
I called you a manchild (not a fat one) because you spend day after day after day after day complaining about these pathetic losers playing video games because you take it so seriously. Have some fun.

ViolentP

Jan 13, 2009
I find it hilarious how 90% of this thread actively hates and openly criticizes this fallen site and yet still clearly visits it beyond the daily 😂 Some of you still pay to complain 🤣

Nothing will ever change or get better with GB.

Just listen to everything up until GOTY 2016 and move on.

Imagine taking time out of your life to monitor Abby’s tweets
Researcher: 'The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.'
Pig Vomit: 'How can that be?'
Researcher: 'Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."'
Pig Vomit: 'Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?'
Researcher: 'Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.'
Pig Vomit: 'But if they hate him, why do they listen?'
Researcher: 'Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Researcher: 'The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.'
Pig Vomit: 'How can that be?'
Researcher: 'Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."'
Pig Vomit: 'Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?'
Researcher: 'Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.'
Pig Vomit: 'But if they hate him, why do they listen?'
Researcher: 'Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."
Please don’t compare Giant Bomb to Stern in any capacity. Thanks.

Edit: And I say that as an O&A fan

Edit 2: Don’t compare podcasts to actual radio

Last edited:

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
Please don’t compare Giant Bomb to Stern in any capacity. Thanks.

Edit: And I say that as an O&A fan

Edit 2: Don’t compare podcasts to actual radio
O&A fan... sorry to hear it. In all honesty, the worst thing about O&A is the O. Little Jimmy and Anthony carried that show, along with the revolving door of comedians, for years.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
O&A fan... sorry to hear it. In all honesty, the worst thing about O&A is the O. Little Jimmy and Anthony carried that show, along with the revolving door of comedians, for years.
Totally true. Loved it for Ant, Jimmy, Bill Burr and Louis CK.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
The best thing Opie ever did was call Tommy Lee’s bluff on their phone interview. Unfortunately, Opie is so insecure and his jealousy of Stern is so transparent.

edit: let’s not forget Patrice.
Yeah Patrice was great

O&A had better video game discussion then than GB has now

Start it up around 16:35 🤣

Lazlow visits

Last edited:

A Rifter in Space

Neo Member
Aug 12, 2018
She has that terrible "zany and ironic" style that is only considered insightful or funny in dead places like somethingawful or GB.

Here's some advice, Abby. When you're taking comedic stylings from pill-popping child abusers like Lowtax, you're probably making a mistake.

Then again, people like her are nothing if not tankie hypocrites.