• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Ah ok, maybe I'm a little bit harsh on River City, but it really isn't the best of the best. And yeah, I have played that game, owned it back in 1990, I just didn't enjoy it as much as games like Double Dragon (II) and some others. I'm glad that's all that people took away from that post, was that. Not the other extremely valid points and just reduced to calling me an idiot because I don't see River City Ransom as top tier, It's still good. My point was that it is the only game they ever bring up, like there isn't thousands of other amazing brawlers.

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
Ah ok, maybe I'm a little bit harsh on River City, but it really isn't the best of the best. And yeah, I have played that game, owned it back in 1990, I just didn't enjoy it as much as games like Double Dragon (II) and some others. I'm glad that's all that people took away from that post, was that. Not the other extremely valid points and just reduced to calling me an idiot because I don't see River City Ransom as top tier, It's still good. My point was that it is the only game they ever bring up, like there isn't thousands of other amazing brawlers.
I agreed with all your points except the RCR one. They claim to love brawlers, but do ignore quality ones. River City Girls was excellent and I think Jason played it once while Jeff bitched about it in the background.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I agreed with all your points except the RCR one. They claim to love brawlers, but do ignore quality ones. River City Girls was excellent and I think Jason played it once while Jeff bitched about it in the background.
River City Girls is awesome but man it’s hard. The soundtrack makes up for it though.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
River City Girls is awesome but man it’s hard. The soundtrack makes up for it though.
RCR is god like and spawned something like a dozen sequels/spin offs (most were shit granted). Calling it low tier is what someone with trash tier taste would say. All those Technos styled games were dope.

River City Girls is great, River City Underground before it was decent, but was kind of a slog and had too many playable characters, imo. Shame the Scott Pilgrim game got nuked for whatever corporate BS. Talk about great music. I'll never get why some people were so sour on that game. There's a hidden shop in the tunnel, come on.

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
RCR is god like and spawned something like a dozen sequels/spin offs (most were shit granted). Calling it low tier is what someone with trash tier taste would say. All those Technos styled games were dope.

River City Girls is great, River City Underground before it was decent, but was kind of a slog and had too many playable characters, imo. Shame the Scott Pilgrim game got nuked for whatever corporate BS. Talk about great music. I'll never get why some people were so sour on that game. There's a hidden shop in the tunnel, come on.
The only person I've heard bitch about the Scott Pilgrim game is, again, Jeff Gerstmann.

Reactions: TexMex

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I don’t think you’re an idiot either.

Choosing an NES Double Dragon over it is questionable as fuck though bro
In my defense, I am going off the memories and enjoyment I had as like a 6 year old kid. I haven't played either of those games in a couple decades. Maybe I'll play a bit of River City Ransom tonight before Streets of Rage 4.

The Scott Pilgrim game is such a fun game, and they kept adding to it for a while with all the DLC. I'm glad I bought it on both systems at launch (even though it's easy to play on PC too). I can't understand how he hated it as much as he did. Also, yeah, River City Girls is rad, I really need to get that game. Jason played it a couple weeks ago too.

Last edited:

Barakov

Sep 30, 2006
What the fuck is wrong with this guy? How do you go from saying it's a fun game BUT it's just OK. At this point I'm just wondering if being in the games media just rots your brain when it comes to being enthusiastic about y'know GAMES.

Or it could be Gerstmann is just way too jaded at this point. He just seems really enthusiastic about being unenthusiastic.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
All the RCR etc talk made me wander down the path of emulating Scott Pilgrim on PC so I don't have to dig out my 360. Works well enough, may have to burn through it again.

Jeff is too cool for anything that isn't exactly to his taste. Like mustard, or fun games. On the Bombcast he says how dedicated to games he is, that he'll always love them. I don't doubt that, however I wonder if he knows how to have fun with games any longer or has become jaded and almost contemptuous with anything beyond what he grew up with and his comfort zone. Certainly comes across as narrow-minded for being so opinionated. Outer Wilds or Last of Us may not be fantastic from a game play perspective, but games as a medium can be so much more layered than a high score quarter gobbler. There's more out there than Phantasy Burger Streets Of Duty Online 2. Gimme more fuckin' numbers and fill those gauges!

The end of the cast had me laughing - Brad put out an opportunity to plug what they had upcoming for the week. After a bit of murmuring Jeff pipes up that there's a premium sale on! Pretty shit time to shill your paid service when it's been garbage lately, while the others say they will be doing the same shit over again. Then a few hints were dropped to upcoming premium features, like it's some big secret. Maybe they got a whole 3x5 card full of ideas they put together in the last 5 weeks, or maybe they shouldn't promise what they can't deliver.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
As terrible as their wfh content has been, it's been extremely easy to avoid Ben content.
Yeah just sucks he’s playing Fallout 2. It’d be cool to see someone competent run through that. I haven’t seen or played it in 15+ years.

The only vids I’ve honestly checked out of theirs for more than a few minutes have been Brad playing DKC and Breath of the Wild and both were boring as hell for the most part and were shut off within a half hour.

I just can’t stand watching most peeps play games, especially ones that I’ve played through myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiceRacz
May 22, 2019
As terrible as their wfh content has been, it's been extremely easy to avoid Ben content.
Except the only 2 pieces of FFVII content have Ben in them.

Also, these idiots said it took them 45 minutes to solve the arm puzzle. 45 minutes for something that takes 2 minutes. I had to turn it off. These guys just flat out suck now.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Well, I played through most of Streets of Rage 4 last night. The first 2 levels were ok, but the gameplay and music really kicked in after that. Had an absolute blast so far. I really think it's a very good game once you settle in with it. The combo system, juggling enemies, throwing and catching weapons... it's all fantastic. Without beating it yet, I can absolutely say it's better than 3 and 1, and on par with 2. I'll spend some more time with it and finish the last two levels today, This will be one of those rare occasions that I replay through a game.

Reactions: Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
Well, I played through most of Streets of Rage 4 last night. The first 2 levels were ok, but the gameplay and music really kicked in after that. Had an absolute blast so far. I really think it's a very good game once you settle in with it. The combo system, juggling enemies, throwing and catching weapons... it's all fantastic. Without beating it yet, I can absolutely say it's better than 3 and 1, and on par with 2. I'll spend some more time with it and finish the last two levels today, This will be one of those rare occasions that I replay through a game.
But Jeff said it wasn't good!

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
On the positive side of things. Streets of Rage 4 is absolutely fantastic, and also Jason's quick look shows off the game really well. He explains the updated mechanics, and also some of the smaller things in the game that even I missed on my first playthrough. Luckily he also disagree with Jeff's comments on the game too. Honestly, I can't fathom how Jeff dislikes it. I think it's a fantastic followup to the third game (which isn't hard, since the third is easily the worst of the originals, all though the power meter for the special attack in 3 was awesome and I wish it was in 4).

I can't wait to play more of 4. It's such a great break in between playing Satisfactory for what feels like the last two weeks straight. I really would like to try the Final Fantasy 7 remake, but I just can't bring myself to buy it on PS4. I can't wait for the PC release.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Looks like across the board Rage 4 is at worst received as a worthy successor, at best perhaps the greatest brawler in 20 years. For fun I went back to see what the original Rage games reviewed like. Right around 80-90% even from Sega publications. EGM awarded Chun Li and Blaze a tie as 'Hottest Babe' in '93, a high honor indeed.

So basically it reviews as well as the originals and most think it's a fine game. Except Jeff, and some of the GB toadies, like this guy:

doncabesa

tried it out on game pass, not a fan. zero defense, just pressing x with an occasional y

1 day ago

That's a front page review right there. Fucking zoomers.

Maybe James Rolfe should pass the mantle of Angry Video Game Nerd to Jeff. I used to agree with many of GB's takes but now it's Abby screaming she likes something because like, she likes it, and cranky Jeff crying because a release doesn't give him the nostalgia trip when he played games 35 years ago.

Reactions: TheMadMan007

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
Looks like across the board Rage 4 is at worst received as a worthy successor, at best perhaps the greatest brawler in 20 years. For fun I went back to see what the original Rage games reviewed like. Right around 80-90% even from Sega publications. EGM awarded Chun Li and Blaze a tie as 'Hottest Babe' in '93, a high honor indeed.

So basically it reviews as well as the originals and most think it's a fine game. Except Jeff, and some of the GB toadies, like this guy:

doncabesa

tried it out on game pass, not a fan. zero defense, just pressing x with an occasional y

1 day ago

That's a front page review right there. Fucking zoomers.

Maybe James Rolfe should pass the mantle of Angry Video Game Nerd to Jeff. I used to agree with many of GB's takes but now it's Abby screaming she likes something because like, she likes it, and cranky Jeff crying because a release doesn't give him the nostalgia trip when he played games 35 years ago.
I remember watching a video where Jeff somewhat defended Mortal kombat sub zero, a game that is otherwise universally deemed shit. Jeff has great knowledge of the industry but like I've said before, he's got shit tier taste in games and it looks like its even getting worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drunkenski

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I remember watching a video where Jeff somewhat defended Mortal kombat sub zero, a game that is otherwise universally deemed shit. Jeff has great knowledge of the industry but like I've said before, he's got shit tier taste in games and it looks like its even getting worse.
Ha, he's defended that turd for years. He and Brad played it on an old Mortal Monday video. He praises it, gets to the platforming on pillars section where everyone dies and puts the CD in the microwave, quits and admits it got shit and reviewed poorly. I like some games that are trash too, but man if that's the hill to die on...

May 22, 2019
They got a weird obsession with mortal kombat. It's definitely their favourite fighting game franchise, because you can do fatalities and these guys don't ever play games more than casually. The ranking of fighters series is so stupid. It just exposes what little knowledge these guys actually have about games. Jeff might know obscure info, but when it comes to actual knowledge about how to play games he's no better than Abby. At least she knows how to play the sims, I don't think Jeff is competent at anything.

MikeDub

Dec 6, 2008
UK
‘We’ve got a premium sale going on soon so we are firing up some premium streams on a Friday going forward’

Enjoy Clue Crew.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
They got a weird obsession with mortal kombat. It's definitely their favourite fighting game franchise, because you can do fatalities and these guys don't ever play games more than casually. The ranking of fighters series is so stupid. It just exposes what little knowledge these guys actually have about games. Jeff might know obscure info, but when it comes to actual knowledge about how to play games he's no better than Abby. At least she knows how to play the sims, I don't think Jeff is competent at anything.
NFL Blitz?

YodaBB

Nov 19, 2019
I hope people look at the premium video feed before subscribing to see what their money is actually getting..of the 39 latest videos on page 1 there are:
11 video podcasts
5 mass alex
7 cluecrew/sims
3 sea beasts
5 alternate viewpoints of free streams on youtube
5 RE3 playdates
and a few random playdates...

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Yep, spend your bucks on more Nancy Crew, live now. They also state they are going to start up a Minecraft premium feature! Hmm my guess is Ben and/or Jan, probably not Vinny but maybe. So pay to watch man child play boring game, or watch actual child play on Youtube/Twitch.

New premium podcast with Vinny, Jeff and Brad. What's the topic, guess what Jeff microwaved for breakfast today?

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
Say what you will and who gives a damn what they're eating... it seems like they're paying attention and reacting to it.

This HotSpot throwback is the kind of fan service I can get on board with.

Here

Neo Member
Feb 22, 2020
Say what you will and who gives a damn what they're eating... it seems like they're paying attention and reacting to it.

This HotSpot throwback is the kind of fan service I can get on board with.
There may yet be hope?

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I wasn't really paying attention to The Hotspot when it was around originally, glad to hear they are reviving it. Hopefully it's good. Them focusing on Premium stuff is a good first step to turn Giant Bomb around.

Reactions: DangerStepp

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
It doesn't happen very often but I agree with Jeff. I don't think it's a bad game or anything, but I'm really happy I got to demo it on Gamepass prior to the hype.
How much have you played of it? Did you play anyone other than Axel? Because Cherry is basically Skate. Her speed is the key to making that game unbelievably fun when starting out. The unlockable characters are also fun, and the hidden retro stages are good too, but way too short.

Honestly, I wouldn’t blame people who don’t like it based on only playing Axel, he’s really boring and doesn’t do a whole lot. The other characters are far better, and make the way way more fun.

bender

Apr 12, 2010
How much have you played of it? Did you play anyone other than Axel? Because Cherry is basically Skate. Her speed is the key tomaking that game unbelievably fun when starting out. The unlockable characters are also fun, and the hidden retro stages are good too, but way too short.

Honestly, I wouldn’t blame people who don’t like it based on only playing Axel, he’s really boring and doesn’t do a whole lot. The other characters are far better, and make the way way more fun.
Four stages with Cherry, seven stages with Blaze. I'm not saying the game is bad or anything, but much like Jeff, I think it's fine. I'm glad I didn't buy it though. Once I beat it, I doubt I'll go back to it.

Reactions: nickname_esco

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Four stages with Cherry, seven stages with Blaze. I'm not saying the game is bad or anything, but much like Jeff, I think it's fine. I'm glad I didn't buy it though. Once I beat it, I doubt I'll go back to it.
Fair enough, the soundtrack is definitely not as good as it could have been, but there has been a few tracks that have me really enjoying the new soundtrack. The retro soundtrack just doesn't fit as well with the new style of the game (although those songs are embedded into my brain since I was a kid, and will always love them.

But I am really enjoying the new game, for $20 it was absolutely worth it for me, and the combo system and new moves and juggling really opens up the game. And for it basically free on gamepass, it's a no brainier to at least try. Especially with the fact this year is somehow worse than last year with game releases.... pretty much anything new right now is at least worth trying if you can get your hands on it.

SamFo

May 13, 2015
Under 5 mins til food chat in latest bombcast.
Jeff are a microwave breakfast sandwich... dude look after yourself, you’ve got a kid now. You’ll feel so much better if you eat something slightly nutritious once in a while.

also - ANOTHER premium sale? Is there even content?