• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
Under 5 mins til food chat in latest bombcast.
Bombcast: 50% flapping about fast food bullshit that no one want's to hear and has already been talked about 50 fucking times, and Ben just randomly screaming in your ears thinking he's funny.

Beastcast: 50% Vinny and Bakalar's children update. It's like listening to a fucking parental advice podcast. Hey Vinny and Jeff! We don't care about your fucking children!

Zaffo

Feb 11, 2018
Let's make the worlds of Giant Bomb, Clown World and the latest tlou2 news collide.
I was just reading about all the shitshow surrounding the leaks, and then it came into my mind to check out the GB forums, i'm not disappointed in the results:

Goes without saying that if you are not interested in getting tlou2 spoiled, you should not click on the link.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Let's make the worlds of Giant Bomb, Clown World and the latest tlou2 news collide.
I was just reading about all the shitshow surrounding the leaks, and then it came into my mind to check out the GB forums, i'm not disappointed in the results:

Goes without saying that if you are not interested in getting tlou2 spoiled, you should not click on the link.
that's my experience with giantbomb. It's resetera all over again for the last year or more.
They murdered that guy from 3rd post just for questioning ANYTHING sjw releated

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Subscription finally ran out, and I cancelled after years of throwing money at those clowns. I wrote a breakup letter to them in their comments section, as if it goes anywhere but an unmonitored CMS or defunct email distro. It's below if you enjoy reading my typical long winded pointless ramblings or want to be in wonder why someone would sink time into it. Gotta say though, that Hotspot podcast was the best content I've heard out of them in some time and it was pretty much just more jabber about mister's. Maybe there's hope for them. Whatever

To whom it may concern,

I'd like to share two main concerns causing my membership cancellation:

1) Content quality has been declining for years. A strong air of laziness in content and production seems to be the norm now. The entire crew states how busy they are, yet looking over the premium and non-premium content, it's easy to see a steady decline in quality and fresh, appealing ideas. The fun and easy going nature of GB is gone and replaced with often seemingly bored and tired hosts, though enthusiasm and spark does still creep through on occasion. While the newer/younger staff continue to be undisciplined and coddled at best and downright unbearable most often. Ben and Abby are without doubt the worst hires in GB history and drag down video features while their podcast contributions and general conversation are a flurry of misinformation, ignorance and general wasteful conveyances. There is a distinct lack of chemistry and seem out of place and renegade to the longstanding principles and style of GB. A fresh take, or differing perspective from new hires is often useful, however that does not seem to be the case here.

2) Community members and mods are completely overprotective exhibiting holier than thou fanaticism rejecting even the slightest criticism of the crew/content/opinion, let alone disagreeing with so called popular community opinion. Discourse or opinion outside of anything but indulgent positivity is met with out of place hostility and contempt. Expression or opinion outside of the status quo is forbidden. GB has turned into a faux idyllic fantasy land groupthink resulting in dysfunctional conversation and isolationism. Mods should moderate, not assist in creating an insular culture with no allowance for expression and shaming of said provocateur. The community rules/guidelines are clear and strict. No where do they state appropriate free speech or expression of opinion is not tolerated. Comment deletion and banning is commonplace and entirely authoritarian. The GB community used to be fun, free to speak and engaging.

I understand it's easy to sit back and judge; no one enjoys having themselves or their work criticized especially anonymously, but it comes with the job. I and many like me truly cared about the success and well-being of the site. GB didn't wrong me in anyway, it's simply not worth spending money to walk on eggshells with the community while now skipping most of the site content due to lack of quality and poor personalities. There's life in the crew and site yet. Don't let the bastards grind you down. Now that's ska.

Many thanks to Giant Bomb for years of the quality content, laughs, unpretentious coverage and most of all the charisma and dynamics of the crew in the past. I've been with you since the beginning in one way or another and am truly sad to see what many considered to be the best a glimmer of its former self.

I doubt anyone reads comment cards any more, but if anyone on staff - on screen, or the business side - pays attention, consider this feedback. The opinions expressed here are not mine alone. I wish you the best, and with any luck GB will retake the throne it once had and pull back old timers like myself and new members alike.

Thanks for the good times.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Subscription finally ran out, and I cancelled after years of throwing money at those clowns. I wrote a breakup letter to them in their comments section, as if it goes anywhere but an unmonitored CMS or defunct email distro. It's below if you enjoy reading my typical long winded pointless ramblings or want to be in wonder why someone would sink time into it. Gotta say though, that Hotspot podcast was the best content I've heard out of them in some time and it was pretty much just more jabber about mister's. Maybe there's hope for them. Whatever

To whom it may concern,

1) Content quality has been declining for years. A strong air of laziness in content and production seems to be the norm now. The entire crew states how busy they are, yet looking over the premium and non-premium content, it's easy to see a steady decline in quality and fresh, appealing ideas. The fun and easy going nature of GB is gone and replaced with often seemingly bored and tired hosts, though enthusiasm and spark does still creep through on occasion. While the newer/younger staff continue to be undisciplined and coddled at best and downright unbearable most often. Ben and Abby are without doubt the worst hires in GB history and drag down video features while their podcast contributions and general conversation are a flurry of misinformation, ignorance and general wasteful conveyances. There is a distinct lack of chemistry and seem out of place and renegade to the longstanding principles and style of GB. A fresh take, or differing perspective from new hires is often useful, however that does not seem to be the case here.

2) Community members and mods are completely overprotective exhibiting holier than thou fanaticism rejecting even the slightest criticism of the crew/content/opinion, let alone disagreeing with so called popular community opinion. Discourse or opinion outside of anything but indulgent positivity is met with out of place hostility and contempt. Expression or opinion outside of the status quo is forbidden. GB has turned into a faux idyllic fantasy land groupthink resulting in dysfunctional conversation and isolationism. Mods should moderate, not assist in creating an insular culture with no allowance for expression and shaming of said provocateur. The community rules/guidelines are clear and strict. No where do they state appropriate free speech or expression of opinion is not tolerated. Comment deletion and banning is commonplace and entirely authoritarian. The GB community used to be fun, free to speak and engaging.

I understand it's easy to sit back and judge; no one enjoys having themselves or their work criticized especially anonymously, but it comes with the job. I and many like me truly cared about the success and well-being of the site. GB didn't wrong me in anyway, it's simply not worth spending money to walk on eggshells with the community while now skipping most of the site content due to lack of quality and poor personalities. There's life in the crew and site yet. Don't let the bastards grind you down. Now that's ska.

Many thanks to Giant Bomb for years of the quality content, laughs, unpretentious coverage and most of all the charisma and dynamics of the crew in the past. I've been with you since the beginning in one way or another and am truly sad to see what many considered to be the best a glimmer of its former self.

I doubt anyone reads comment cards any more, but if anyone on staff - on screen, or the business side - pays attention, consider this feedback. The opinions expressed here are not mine alone. I wish you the best, and with any luck GB will retake the throne it once had and pull back old timers like myself and new members alike.

Yeah same here. I was banned there a year ago for commenting on stupid zoe quinn case live (I suggested that she might have killed a man and they just banned me from posting on the site or comments forever and I was a sub since the beginning). I sent support tickets and nothing. The mods were downright aggressive. Every negative comment is usually labeled as anti sjw, hate speech etc. Just like resetera.
That was a trigger for me. The new hires are so bad I could not watch any content with them in it.
Any critique towards any of the crew members, no matter how legit it is, is meet with fanatic mods and community.
Ryan passing was a tragedy and the site was never the same but Dan was an amazing hire and lifted the site up with great energy! Then they split and then new hires took them down. Abby held Dan back from creating good content. It's all ME ME ME, screeching and sjw crap. You could clearly see how the staff is afraid of her. Jason plays the same games all the time and is not as good technically as vinny was(but he is generally not as bad). Ben is just disgusting...
But it was bad already about 2 or 3 years ago with terrible, lazy upf's with only dota and fighting games... and new hires.

I cannot blame Jeff for running our of steam. He does this his whole life and it's just not the same without Ryan. Same with Brad - I think he is just tired of video games but the job everyone needs to work - that's understandable.

Reactions: Drunkenski

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Nice email. Too bad it'll never be read by anyone at all. I've completely stopped emailing into the bomb/beast cast after maybe a 100 or so emails, and not a single one gets read. Every week I've written in, I listen in hopes that maybe my well thoughtout, insightful and interesting email would get read, and spark great conversation. Well, every single time, I would listen and only hear emails that get one words answers, questions that have been asked many times before over the years, or the emails that revolved around human feces or that only pertained to the email picker's interest of being able to talk about herself more. I just can't be bothered anymore.

I see people talking about Ryan dying as when Giant Bomb started to become less of what it is. But that was back in 2013, 7 years ago. The truth is, those bombcast's afterwards where they talked about GI Joes and Transformers and the stuff afterwards were some of the best. Different, but I wouldn't say worse. Giant Bomb has always been great.... until 2017.

Jun 13, 2019
Bottom of the barrel.

To whom it may concern,

You and me both cancelling our subs on the same day. You made some really good points that I tried to point out when leaving feedback too.

Hopefully it gets read and they actually make some changes to address the current issues the site has. Such a shame as I've been with these guys since the Gamespot days but I can't justify a sub when I don't engage with 90% of the content these days.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Yeah same here. I was banned there a year ago for commenting on stupid zoe quinn case live (I suggested that she might have killed a man and they just banned me from posting on the site or comments forever and I was a sub since the beginning). I sent support tickets and nothing. The mods were downright aggressive. Every negative comment is usually labeled as anti sjw, hate speech etc. Just like resetera.
That was a trigger for me. The new hires are so bad I could not watch any content with them in it.
Any critique towards any of the crew members, no matter how legit it is, is meet with fanatic mods and community.
Ryan passing was a tragedy and the site was never the same but Dan was an amazing hire and lifted the site up with great energy! Then they split and then new hires took them down. Abby held Dan back from creating good content. It's all ME ME ME, screeching and sjw crap. You could clearly see how the staff is afraid of her. Jason plays the same games all the time and is not as good technically as vinny was(but he is generally not as bad). Ben is just disgusting...
But it was bad already about 2 or 3 years ago with terrible, lazy upf's with only dota and fighting games... and new hires.

I cannot blame Jeff for running our of steam. He does this his whole life and it's just not the same without Ryan. Same with Brad - I think he is just tired of video games but the job everyone needs to work - that's understandable.
Yep, you pretty much nailed it. The same experience is just becoming more commonplace. Some of those mods, like ZombiePie I've noticed, need to go outside and lighten up with their internet power trip. He was on an Extra Life stream last year I watched a bit of. He wasn't on camera, but he came across as a pretty high strung dude. One of those easily annoyed types. I don't blame the gang for getting older, burning out a bit, it's understandable. I've mellowed on my game playing and excitement over the years too, not to say I'm disinterested.

Nice email. Too bad it'll never be read by anyone at all. I've completely stopped emailing into the bomb/beast cast after maybe a 100 or so emails, and not a single one gets read. Every week I've written in, I listen in hopes that maybe my well thoughtout, insightful and interesting email would get read, and spark great conversation. Well, every single time, I would listen and only hear emails that get one words answers, questions that have been asked many times before over the years, or the emails that revolved around human feces or that only pertained to the email picker's interest of being able to talk about herself more. I just can't be bothered anymore.

I see people talking about Ryan dying as when Giant Bomb started to become less of what it is. But that was back in 2013, 7 years ago. The truth is, those bombcast's afterwards where they talked about GI Joes and Transformers and the stuff afterwards were some of the best. Different, but I wouldn't say worse. Giant Bomb has always been great.... until 2017.
Hey, thanks. Yeah, I'm sure it was pointless, but at least it was a form of catharsis. Yes, it's hard to isolate an exact time they started going south, as there have been ups and downs as would be expected of any long running business. In my mind, once they moved into that downstairs windowless studio, the whole mood shifted and came across as depressing. Upstairs in that open air space they had Gamespot and whoever else wandering through and gave things a light and casual feeling.

Maybe you could write in to them about some of the greater questions facing society? Such as, is pizza a sandwich, or what's their favorite toilet paper?

They never should have split up. Or at least send Vinny back west. That Hotspot podcast was excellent and I hope it continues. Jeff seems most happy and comfortable when he’s with the older crew.
I never understood the true business reason for opening up shop in New York after the CBS takeover. It all seemed to have a "friends club" favor feeling to it by giving Alex an actual role with GB and letting Vinny move back to his home to raise family (after having moved to SF for GB originally). They let Patrick go be domesticated in Chicago and that didn't work so well. It's obvious Jeff gets along better without dumb and dumber saying something ignorant and half coherent. This guy still thinks Burger Time and Elevator Action are better than 90% of newer games out there (and he may not be wrong), how much patience could he have for millennial/zoomer bullshit.

You and me both cancelling our subs on the same day. You made some really good points that I tried to point out when leaving feedback too.

Hopefully it gets read and they actually make some changes to address the current issues the site has. Such a shame as I've been with these guys since the Gamespot days but I can't justify a sub when I don't engage with 90% of the content these days.
Ha, how about that. Thanks, and it seems trying to convey feedback to them is largely a waste of time and as effective as creating a petition.org form. You're right, it is a shame a small org (aside from the CBS check writers) refuses to take said feedback into consideration. That's the way the cookie crumbles and the unfortunate truth is that money and memberships speak. But the throngs of mindless ass kissers begging for more clue crew and whatever Ben does will always win. Sadly, “two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.”

Anyway, we'll always have Cigs66 rocking out over Ustream on PS4. What you use smoke weed bro?

Last edited:

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
They never should have split up. Or at least send Vinny back west. That Hotspot podcast was excellent and I hope it continues. Jeff seems most happy and comfortable when he’s with the older crew.
It was either open the NY office or Vinny was going to quit. SF is too expensive to raise a family.

I actually liked the split until Abby showed up. I thought the Vinny, Austin, Alex dynamic was good. You had different tastes that covered a wide range of games, good chemistry, and even though Austin can get up his own ass often he brought a knowledge to the site that is severely lacking.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Yeah, I agree, the original NYC crew was pretty good for the most part. Austin actually made good points half the time, and really the only time I couldn't stand him was when he went on soap-box sjw rants. They were pretty solid and offered a different type of content that paired well to what West was doing at the time. Like I said, the real downfall began in 2017.

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
Yeah, I agree, the original NYC crew was pretty good for the most part. Austin actually made good points half the time, and really the only time I couldn't stand him was when he went on soap-box sjw rants. They were pretty solid and offered a different type of content that paired well to what West was doing at the time. Like I said, the real downfall began in 2017.
Yes when Drew left.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Again, where the fuck is he going? No where is open!
”on assignment” doesn’t mean “he went somewhere” it means “I didn’t want to work today, so I’m just not going to log in to my cushy at home job talking about video games”

bender

Apr 12, 2010
I think Dan going East was the beginning of the end then him quitting sealed the deal.

Dan was a strong personality and brought a lot of fresh ideas. He came with Jason who isn't a strong personality but was there in a production role to back-fill Vinny. Jeff has a pretty strong personality when he's not bored and Brad can get passionate occasionally (DOOM, DOTA, etc.). Two strong personalities can carry more subdued cast members (Brad, Jason, Rorie on occasion). When Dan left the West Coast, and Ben and Jan back-filled, that left Jeff as the only strong personality and a slew of subdued personalities. It just doesn't work. Dan made the East coast pop with another strong personality in Vinny and helped carry the subdued personality of Alex or cover for the more annoying persona that Abby brings.

That's how the math works in my head anyway.

Maybe a bright side of working at home is that they'll realize that they can start creating more cross coast content.

SamFo

May 13, 2015
7 Minutes approximately until food chat in latest bombcast. Obese man asks "what about a nug lasagna"

Anyone else just getting fucking disgusted by this shit?

Get help at this point guys...

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I think Dan going East was the beginning of the end then him quitting sealed the deal.

Dan was a strong personality and brought a lot of fresh ideas. He came with Jason who isn't a strong personality but was there in a production role to back-fill Vinny. Jeff has a pretty strong personality when he's not bored and Brad can get passionate occasionally (DOOM, DOTA, etc.). Two strong personalities can carry more subdued cast members (Brad, Jason, Rorie on occasion). When Dan left the West Coast, and Ben and Jan back-filled, that left Jeff as the only strong personality and a slew of subdued personalities. It just doesn't work. Dan made the East coast pop with another strong personality in Vinny and helped carry the subdued personality of Alex or cover for the more annoying persona that Abby brings.

That's how the math works in my head anyway.

Maybe a bright side of working at home is that they'll realize that they can start creating more cross coast content.
Thing is, they’ve been doing cross coast videos for years. Back in 2015 they did those “us vs them” rocket league streams. They can and always have been able to do it, but refuse because it takes time out of their precious free time.

Tuning in yesterday to see yet again the same exact games they have been playing for the last month just was so infuriating. I get that Alex likes the truck games, but good grief, how much Truck simulator do they really need on that site? Play something different!

Reactions: Here

Hans Bubby

Aug 21, 2019
I never want to hear these fat fucks say “they didn’t have time” for anything. I’m so fucking tired of that shit. They literally don’t leave their house for weeks/months but still can’t find time to play video games which is their fucking career. I work 7-4:30 Monday through Friday and don’t get home until about 5:30 yet I put in way more hours than these guys. And I’m married with two 9 year olds!

Alright, I’m done venting.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
On my way to work today, I was listening to Tuesday’s Bombcast. I finally think I understand Jeff’s problem. When talking about Streets of Rage 4, He bases his arguments against the game on nostalgia and feelings of something not tangible and real. Complaining that the old Genesis games felt “crunchy” in a way the modern one does not..... how is that remotely a valid argument?! I do like that Jason disagreed with him though. Every complaint Jeff has, Jason was there to challenge him on and tell him he’s wrong, before just kinda rolling over and letting Jeff steamroll the conversation into a negative rant.

I’m really starting to lose a massive amount of respect for Jeff. His tastes in games have become so much more bland and basic over the years, and anytime something new or interesting comes along, he is there to bash it without hesitation. Is Streets of Rage 4 amazing? Nah, I don’t think so, but I had a blast with it and it’s better than any brawler I played in a good decade. But Jeff thinks because it’s not fitting into this custom box of what HE thinks a brawler should be, which is more based on nostalgia and feelings of something not real, then it is deemed complete and utter trash. It’s just insane.

Like what you want to like, even it if isn’t actually good. But, don’t act like the the crap you like is actually better than a game that is at least good, and a solid follow up to something.

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
Agree. Was really happy Jason pushed back. I liked when he pointed out that “6 months ago you were saying how could they make this game without the guy (soundtrack), then they went out and got him, and now you’re still not happy.” To which Jeff replied “yeah well, I dunno, man”

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Agree. Was really happy Jason pushed back. I liked when he pointed out that “6 months ago you were saying how could they make this game without the guy (soundtrack), then they went out and got him, and now you’re still not happy.” To which Jeff replied “yeah well, I dunno, man”
Totally, Jeff's opinions of games have gotten worse and worse over the years, to the point where I just don't value anything he says much anymore. Everything out of his mouth is so negative, that, if you didn't know any better, he sounds like he absolutely loathes video games. I don't know what insane high standard he has for games, but he really needs to come back down to earth and stop comparing what games actually are to what he makes up in his mind. Being a "video game reviewer" and always judging games of this notion of what he thinks they should be is extremely childish and very unprofessional.

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
On my way to work today, I was listening to Tuesday’s Bombcast. I finally think I understand Jeff’s problem. When talking about Streets of Rage 4, He bases his arguments against the game on nostalgia and feelings of something not tangible and real. Complaining that the old Genesis games felt “crunchy” in a way the modern one does not..... how is that remotely a valid argument?! I do like that Jason disagreed with him though. Every complaint Jeff has, Jason was there to challenge him on and tell him he’s wrong, before just kinda rolling over and letting Jeff steamroll the conversation into a negative rant.

I’m really starting to lose a massive amount of respect for Jeff. His tastes in games have become so much more bland and basic over the years, and anytime something new or interesting comes along, he is there to bash it without hesitation. Is Streets of Rage 4 amazing? Nah, I don’t think so, but I had a blast with it and it’s better than any brawler I played in a good decade. But Jeff thinks because it’s not fitting into this custom box of what HE thinks a brawler should be, which is more based on nostalgia and feelings of something not real, then it is deemed complete and utter trash. It’s just insane.

Like what you want to like, even it if isn’t actually good. But, don’t act like the the crap you like is actually better than a game that is at least good, and a solid follow up to something.
He's been like that for a while. He can never articulate his criticisms towards a game. It boils down to "it plays/looks like shit" "it doesn't feel right" "it feels off" Jeff judges games on a surface level. You'll notice more often than not he makes up his mind about games before playing them.

Reactions: SamFo

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
Agree with the pre-juding. Not saying you can't have an impression about an upcoming game, but I can't remember the last time Jeff had shit on something pre-release, played it, and been like oh wow you know what I was wrong this is great. He just doubles down, every time.

Reactions: SpiceRacz

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
The worst part about it is he can't just accept that a game isn't for him. He has to make up shit to just nitpick about it.

Jeff, just stick to CoD and Trackmania because that's all you give a shit about anymore.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
The worst part about it is he can't just accept that a game isn't for him. He has to make up shit to just nitpick about it.

Jeff, just stick to CoD and Trackmania because that's all you give a shit about anymore.
I honestly thought he was going to start enjoying Fallout 76 after that update. It wouldn’t have surprised me in the slightest.

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
I'm rewatching Crime Crew (Abby playing GTA online) and holy shit... Abby is the fucking worst. It's like if I introduced video games to a 90 year old woman and gave her a controller. I'm a little offended by the fact that Abby makes a living in this industry.

EDIT: Alex is even worse but we knew that already.

Last edited:

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019

Don't disagree, some good points made. Side ramble - The "crunchy" quality statements he's made before made me think about an aspect of some more modern 2d sidescoller games that's bugged me since I noticed. That being how the character sprites often appear with a quality of paper cutouts pasted on a background layer or diorama-like. Games like Dust, or Hallow Knight for example, both with fantastic art and animation. Yet the character sprites seem maybe too polished, too high res, floating across the background buttery smooth and well animated. Maybe it's a clash with a hand painted/drawn background. They can just seem out of place like they were taped to the canvas, drawn in Flash, lacking weight that grounds them to the scene.

Compare that to other modern 2d scrollers like Shovel Knight or Dead Cells, where the sprites form a cohesive layer and feel connected. Is it the pixel graphics, the engine/rendering, the less refined animation and art? It's difficult to convey without an apt adjective. Last time I tried on GB all I received was "Ur wrong bra those games r baller gang gang". Maybe I'm just crazy.

Anyway, I think I can associate when Jeff throws an intangible quality at a game or overarching trait to a console (Genesis/MegaDrive, that's you). Doesn't mean a game should be knocked on for it. Seems more like personal taste rather than objective critique. Like playing Quake with software rendering @ 320x240 vs OpenGL hardware rendering or Battlezone on a vector monitor, it just feels different (better, imo). Is it nostalgia speaking, maybe, but newer and flashier <> always better.

Now I want to play Dead Cells... I'm terrible at it but after your 15th consecutive run you're really in the cheetos and mountain dew zone.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Don't disagree, some good points made. Side ramble - The "crunchy" quality statements he's made before made me think about an aspect of some more modern 2d sidescoller games that's bugged me since I noticed. That being how the character sprites often appear with a quality of paper cutouts pasted on a background layer or diorama-like. Games like Dust, or Hallow Knight for example, both with fantastic art and animation. Yet the character sprites seem maybe too polished, too high res, floating across the background buttery smooth and well animated. Maybe it's a clash with a hand painted/drawn background. They can just seem out of place like they were taped to the canvas, drawn in Flash, lacking weight that grounds them to the scene.

Compare that to other modern 2d scrollers like Shovel Knight or Dead Cells, where the sprites form a cohesive layer and feel connected. Is it the pixel graphics, the engine/rendering, the less refined animation and art? It's difficult to convey without an apt adjective. Last time I tried on GB all I received was "Ur wrong bra those games r baller gang gang". Maybe I'm just crazy.

Anyway, I think I can associate when Jeff throws an intangible quality at a game or overarching trait to a console (Genesis/MegaDrive, that's you). Doesn't mean a game should be knocked on for it. Seems more like personal taste rather than objective critique. Like playing Quake with software rendering @ 320x240 vs OpenGL hardware rendering or Battlezone on a vector monitor, it just feels different (better, imo). Is it nostalgia speaking, maybe, but newer and flashier <> always better.

Now I want to play Dead Cells... I'm terrible at it but after your 15th consecutive run you're really in the cheetos and mountain dew zone.
I think a lot of where a game get's that "flash game" feeling is that the animation isn't smooth or convincing. You can usually tell there are key frames and no nuance to it. An arm moves from point A to point B without any other motion and looks unnatural. Or when a walking animation doesn't match with the way they move across the ground, like they are gliding on a floor and it doesn't look natural. Same with the style of the character not matching the style of the background. Streets of Rage 4 definitely has the walking issue... but it's such a small issue, and the fact that most other games have that too, that it's not really a talking point, just a small little thing that isn't really a big deal.

But Jeff takes those extremely tiny small issues, that no one else really notices or cares about because it's such a small issue, and makes them gigantic talking points and turns into nitpicking even the smallest detail into how utterly trash it is compared to what he hyped the game up to be in his mind. It's really pathetic that someone who reviews Video Games for over two decades can't even look past the tiny issues, when a game is pretty much stellar beyond those.

Personal preference always plays a part in reviewing or liking games, but it should never be the majority of talking about it. Playing Quake with different settings is far different. Same thing with something like when Jeff played Alyx and only could complain that he was having a bad time because "you shouldn't be playing this sitting down"... so stand your ass up you moron! Maybe clean your damn room and give yourself a bit of space so you can move around a bit. That was 100% on him and didn't do anything about it. Again, it's things like that where I've just lost respect and don't really hold his opinions on things with any value anymore. What an absolute unprofessional way to run your company. Do you think anyone on that Xbox stream today would have been allowed on that stream with dirty clothes piled up high in their closet and their hair a mess?

YodaBB

Nov 19, 2019
I think Jeffs opinion can be safely ignored, much like the rest of them there. I can't imagine using GB as a source of recommendations for games to play at this point. I'm a bit behind on podcasts and on the last Bombcast I listened to he was mocking Days Gone, questioning why Sony would bring it to PC....one of the best selling games of last year. Turns out people like value for money, getting 60+ hours out of a game for $60 is better than getting 3 hours. I guess after a while of not paying for games you forget that.

Anyone else notice how he describes everything as "weird"? Literally everything...some dull fact about his baby? Weird. New game coming out? Weird. Game not coming out? Weird. Next gen console? Weird. Gaming industry in 2020? Weird. New Mountain Dew flavor? Weird. Any subject, topic, person, thing that exists or doesn't exist? Weird. It's his filler word, similar to Abbys "cool", or "like" or "me". Now that I think about it, 95% of what she says is filler words.

SamFo

May 13, 2015
Jeff says his main criticism of SOR4 is the music?

I still don’t know why Jeff is the authority on music?

just because he’s been in a joke band and owns some synthesisers?

He seems to think REZ is the greatest soundtrack of all time - it’s a time and a place thing I guess.

SamFo

May 13, 2015
I think Jeffs opinion can be safely ignored, much like the rest of them there. I can't imagine using GB as a source of recommendations for games to play at this point. I'm a bit behind on podcasts and on the last Bombcast I listened to he was mocking Days Gone, questioning why Sony would bring it to PC....one of the best selling games of last year. Turns out people like value for money, getting 60+ hours out of a game for $60 is better than getting 3 hours. I guess after a while of not paying for games you forget that.

Anyone else notice how he describes everything as "weird"? Literally everything...some dull fact about his baby? Weird. New game coming out? Weird. Game not coming out? Weird. Next gen console? Weird. Gaming industry in 2020? Weird. New Mountain Dew flavor? Weird. Any subject, topic, person, thing that exists or doesn't exist? Weird. It's his filler word, similar to Abbys "cool", or "like" or "me". Now that I think about it, 95% of what she says is filler words.
Also describes things as interesting or not interesting...

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Also describes things as interesting or not interesting...

Thats something I took from Austin when he was there, he was consciously trying to stop using Interesting as a filler and to instead verbalise his thought process, it actually works really well to think like that

• Thoughtful
Reactions: SamFo

eot

Apr 13, 2012
It flew past them that Days Gone sold well and was generally liked

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
Thats something I took from Austin when he was there, he was consciously trying to stop using Interesting as a filler and to instead verbalise his thought process, it actually works really well to think like that
Austin has gone onto to be a bit of a snowflake but I did enjoy his time at GB. The Kerbal series was really fun.

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
Streets of Rage 4 is fun but the visuals are too clean in a way the character almost doesn't fit with the background.

I hate to compare it to Flash but that's what it looks like.

Also, holy hell that Xbox Event they talk over is rough in the first few minutes. I don't understand why the most annoying people are always louder.

Last edited:

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Streets of Rage 4 is fun but the visuals are too clean in a way the character almost doesn't fit with the background.

I hate to compare it to Flash but that's what it looks like.

Also, holy hell that Xbox Event they talk over is rough in the first few minutes. I don't understand why the most annoying people are always louder.
BECAUSE THEY NEED TO BE HEARD AT ALL TIMES

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
That Michael Higham guy is DangerStepp repellent.

I will not go near nor partake of anything that guy is in.

Not in this lifetime.

May 22, 2019
So I went and watched that streets of rage segment. Jeff is an idiot. My takeaway is that Ben is the most insufferable person. His hair lioked all fucked and I thought he's just a yahoo, then he fixes his hair and intentionally puts his hair like that because it's his style? I really want to give him 16 german suplexes in a row.