• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Instead of them playing Minecraft for a good chunk of the day, they could have tried playing a new game that is tons of fun... say something like Hypercharged. Think Toy Commander and Toy Soldiers were a FPS Tower Defense game. 4 player co-op, tons of cool looking customization and stupidly cheap on HumbleBundle right now. It just came out and it's from the devs of NewRetroArcade Neon. I hope once this game is updated a bit they get back to update NewRetroArcade to fix the weird reverse Index controller issues, but honestly, I've been following these devs since the demo of New Retro Arcade showed up on UPF back in early 2015. A small indie team, but have made some pretty cool stuff in the last 5 years. I'd highly recommend anyone who likes toy games or tower defense to check it out (I'm not a tower defense guy at all, but I really think its a pretty fun game)

Although I will say the Rorie community stream with Wreckfest is pretty cool. I really wish that game got more publicity. It's from the original Flatout devs and was called New Car Game for years when it debuted in 2014. Every time I see that game, I get wanting to play it again, as it was my second favorite game of 2018 too.

I'm just trying to throw a little positivity in here today since I know I can be a tad too negative and there are some great games to be played.

Last edited:

bender

Apr 12, 2010
Jeff says his main criticism of SOR4 is the music?

I still don’t know why Jeff is the authority on music?

just because he’s been in a joke band and owns some synthesisers?

He seems to think REZ is the greatest soundtrack of all time - it’s a time and a place thing I guess.
The music in SOR4 is fine, but I was expecting more. That's sums up the totality of my experience with the game.

Rez does have an amazing soundtrack.

I'm a little surprised Alex or Vinny have tried Snow Runner yet.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
The music in SOR4 is fine, but I was expecting more. That's sums up the totality of my experience with the game.

Rez does have an amazing soundtrack.

I'm a little surprised Alex or Vinny have tried Snow Runner yet.
Have or haven't tried? Because Alex played it a couple weeks ago.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
L'enfer c'est les weebs.

I'm not normally worried about the way people look, but wow, Ben is an ugly person. Couldn't he look after himself just a little bit? Can't change gentics, but teeth, hair, clothes, body, all possible to make presentable.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I was watching an old UPF from 2014, Dan brings WWF No Mercy on N64, and Jeff rants about how it’s a terrible game because it doesn’t represent what wrestling is.... but he’s fine playing hours and hours of Tony Hawk? You know, because that totally represent what Skateboarding actually is.

I get the “it’s a fighting game, and wrestling is technically a co-op experience” but that’s only from a behind the scenes viewpoint. In front of an audience, it totally is a fight between two people, so his whole logic and argument are flawed. I will say the 2K story modes, where you replicate famous matches and make you complete objectives that happened in real life, are a bit weird and there is a bit of disconnect a breaking the suspension of disbelief though.

I just don’t understand how someone can’t just look passed something like that, when it’s such a non-issue. And take away that single issue, the AKI engine and the THQ N64 games are still the best wrestling games ever made. Far better than anything in the last two decades.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I'm not normally worried about the way people look, but wow, Ben is an ugly person. Couldn't he look after himself just a little bit? Can't change gentics, but teeth, hair, clothes, body, all possible to make presentable.
Yeah making fun of appearances is pretty low brow, but we all whisper it behind closed doors. You only get one body in this life (till we download to a robut host), take care of it. He's got a face only his momma could love, but spit shine that mug, borrow some of Abby's lipstick and present yourself to the untold dozens of GB viewers.

Poor dude has so many genetic defects and abnormalities fixed by modern medicine, in years past if he wasn't thrown out with the bathwater, he'd be living in a bell tower or playing an organ in a basement.

Good thing is, his Halloween costume is super easy: just roll out of bed, tape some tin cans to your neck, voila, Frankenstein's monster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greedings

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
You unwoke bigot

It's Frankenstein's partner
Gah, you found me out. I've canceled myself and wrote a 4000 word apology to the internet on Friendster and Live Journal. With any luck I'll bounce back from this now that I know better.

In other news, as I was fast forwarding through Abby's section of the BeastCast, I heard great news, another Sims expansion pack thing is coming out soon. Rejoice. She also stated (again) in response to something that she was new to the [games] industry. Hasn't she worked there for 3 years or so? When exactly is one no longer new to an industry, for fucks sake. Real shitty kid employee attitude - milk your "inexperience" for ineptitude and asking of other people to do your work. Vviiinnnyyy

So far not missing the premium.

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
There were a couple comments criticizing Jeff's negative take on Days Gone that I appreciated being brought up. Some IGN jackass dismissed the game in a preview because it had another "gruff white man" protagonist. It seems like it was put on a list by the woke games media to hate and It's another example of many why the crew at GB tow the line with certain takes and personal politics.
I thought it was a totally enjoyable open world game with unique elements. The story and characters were a little bleh but it's unfairly bashed on for not being diverse enough for the usual disgusting SJW pigs. I don't see why it would be trashed as less than an OK game.
But I'm finally to the point of acceptance with what they are and that I am very much not a part of that culture. After like 3 weeks I decided to check out their YouTube but it just reminded me how many negative feelings I get from watching their stuff. Ben is beyond a joke. Abby can have moments but she has zero credibility because of her immaturity and politics. I really only enjoy Jeff and Vinny and tolerated everything and everyone else. Jason's home streams have been cool. It's the only video game stuff I ever really watched regularly but I'm happier to be disconnected from it.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
It’s really weird. I’ve seen more talk about Days Gone this last week or so, than anytime else. It always seemed like a solid B game, but nothing really special.

Giant Bomb is doing much more disservice to the games industry than good at this point. Their constant negative coverage of actually good games, or even just hating on games that are "fine". Making fun of both any devs or fans as they see fit, while not able to take any criticism at all. Instead of getting people excited about a hobby that we all enjoy to varying degrees, they try to tear it down. It's becoming increasingly draining to listen to them complain and complain about how "video games are dumb and stupid and you should feel terrible for liking them". No, video games as a whole is super fun and enjoyable and unlike any other media out there. There is something for pretty much anyone. Don't like shooters? Cool, try a puzzle game.

Giant Bomb has become exactly what they say they hate. Just regurgitating the same stories and comments as every other journalist site with no real new incite or opinions. When was the last time they covered a story or piece of news that wasn't just "hey, I saw this on Kotaku... I didn't even read the whole article, lets just speculate on what the headline says, because we all know Headlines contain all the truth and are never just clickbait!"?

Giant Bomb could be so much more than what it is right now. A few changes to the format could breed a new era. Instead of:

1. Whatcha' Playing? (which equals to either nothing, or the same game for the 43rd week straight)
2. News
3. Emails
4. Lets get outta here because we hate our jobs and hate doing this.

Its not like the podcasts are even long anymore. We get a barely 2 hour podcast now, instead of the weekly 3-4 hour. There are so many things they could do to shake things up and make it interesting for not just the audience, but themselves as well. Instead of bringing back ANOTHER podcast on the schedule, take that Hotspot formula they are doing, and make that the new format for the Bombcast. Talk about a single topic each week. Let the audience know "Hey we are doing something to shake things up after over a decade of doing this"... I'm sure 99% of the listeners would understand and even like it. If not, they still have the Beascast for that boring format.

These things aren't hard, and even sitting down for a couple hours to hammer out details isn't something we the fans should be doing. That idea took me all of 2 minutes to think of and write. Surely someone who is employed at the company, or heck maybe the owner/creator of the site could do this on one of their supposed full time work days.

If the site is going to prosper and not flounder, there needs to be some shakeups. Now is the perfect time to change things, for the better. They have been doing more work in the last two months than they have in a year combined. If that momentum kept up after they go back to normal work, and just trimmed some unnessesary fat (like another stream or playthrough of a game multiple staff have played over and over and over again over the years) or changing up the format of podcasts, they could come back and be better than ever.

Sadly, we all know that'll never happen.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Ever notice how Abby only brings up or gives examples of female media personalities? Her one sided nature is apparent (GOTY anyone?), Isn't that sexist behavior? It bleeds into the rest of the crew, Alex being the most cautious in his wokeness. I guess if your job is being mired in the swamp that is the internet and the derailed train games media has become, it's bound to leach in. Adapt or die., or both I guess. I don't even know where to go on a regular basis for games news so my info is a mishmash of headlines and RSS feeds from wherever. Its a shame when Forbes has a more direct to the point news blip on games than places like that fuck shack Kotaku.

If this generation of woke internet "journalists" has their way, buff male protagonists will cease to exist, classic games will be rebooted to fit the internet social narrative with Tetris pieces coming out as gay and Doom guy becoming Doom Gal.

Reactions: TheMadMan007
Aug 30, 2018
Gah, you found me out. I've canceled myself and wrote a 4000 word apology to the internet on Friendster and Live Journal. With any luck I'll bounce back from this now that I know better.

In other news, as I was fast forwarding through Abby's section of the BeastCast, I heard great news, another Sims expansion pack thing is coming out soon. Rejoice. She also stated (again) in response to something that she was new to the [games] industry. Hasn't she worked there for 3 years or so? When exactly is one no longer new to an industry, for fucks sake. Real shitty kid employee attitude - milk your "inexperience" for ineptitude and asking of other people to do your work. Vviiinnnyyy

So far not missing the premium.
I wouldn't say 3 years in an industry makes you any sort of veteran; I would actually say that's rather new to an industry
It takes a while to climb ladders, especially in entertainment; including that people aren't retiring as early anymore (For various reasons)

I would probably look at her attitude as pragmatic; a lot of people stated she didn't really have knowledge of the industry (By the trainwrecks that were here GOTY discussions), sounds like management talked to her about that, honed in more on her experience, and are helping her build the connections and knowledge to do so
Kind of a standard long term growth plan for an employee, and seems to be being applied to all the juniors right now

Degrees make a lot of that come more naturally; video games don't really have much in the way of specialized degrees for it yet

Hopefully she'll shape up to be pretty well rounded instead of niche; out of the three noobs, she's above Ben in my book, that's for sure.
These things aren't hard, and even sitting down for a couple hours to hammer out details isn't something we the fans should be doing. That idea took me all of 2 minutes to think of and write. Surely someone who is employed at the company, or heck maybe the owner/creator of the site could do this on one of their supposed full time work days.

If the site is going to prosper and not flounder, there needs to be some shakeups. Now is the perfect time to change things, for the better. They have been doing more work in the last two months than they have in a year combined. If that momentum kept up after they go back to normal work, and just trimmed some unnessesary fat (like another stream or playthrough of a game multiple staff have played over and over and over again over the years) or changing up the format of podcasts, they could come back and be better than ever.

Sadly, we all know that'll never happen.
Just remember, ideas are easy to think of, and much harder in reality to apply
Changing the format of a show in an entertainment business likely has to go through some approval processes before it can go live, and with CBS in the picture, you bet your ass they're having to get approvals and stuff

Jeff does have a boss too; he's not some free range person in CBS that's on tier or outside of the juridstiction of the board of directors for CBS.
I agree shit needs to change, but it's much easier to have an idea than to implement in general

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Yes, it’s always easier said than done. They whole ideas are a dime a dozen thing rings ever true within the gaming industry. The issue is that nothing every happens. Dan was praised for “content creation” like playing Mario Party with the base rules the game allowed was some sort of genius muse inspired revelation is what was rediculous.

Jeff loves to talk about how he doesn’t have much power anymore, but until they actually say what the hell is going on over there, all we can do is speculate. Although I don’t think they are handcuffed like most people believe. Changing a format of a podcast isn’t something the requires approval from higher ups. Adding new podcasts don’t go through approvals, as they’ll dump some new podcast into the premium feed every once in a while.

And same with them getting sloshed at work on a stream in the middle of the week doesn’t seem like anyone cares too much about what they do over there. Professionalism means nothing to them, as Jeff sets the example for being a complete slob on stream. Sucks for sure but they sure as hell aren’t losing sleep over it.

Aug 30, 2018
Yes, it’s always easier said than done. They whole ideas are a dime a dozen thing rings ever true within the gaming industry. The issue is that nothing every happens. Dan was praised for “content creation” like playing Mario Party with the base rules the game allowed was some sort of genius muse inspired revelation is what was rediculous.
I think you may have forgotten the concept of why that was cool back then
Internet streaming was relatively new during that time; let alone being able to capture all the different types of content on the fly, then putting that out on an internet stream
Cameras are a little easier because you get to design the camera around the media connectors and protocols needing to be used.
Older hardware doesn't have that function

If you're going to knock that streaming video games online isn't "Content creation," I would take a look at the rest of the market. Let's Plays are really popular; GB being one of the reasons they came to fame
Jeff loves to talk about how he doesn’t have much power anymore, but until they actually say what the hell is going on over there, all we can do is speculate. Although I don’t think they are handcuffed like most people believe.
I will agree they COULD be more transparent about what goes on and what powers they have; I just don't see CBS really allowing for that or caring to do so. Their internal structure has no real bearing on the end product that's produced, outside of extreme situations.
Changing a format of a podcast isn’t something the requires approval from higher ups. Adding new podcasts don’t go through approvals, as they’ll dump some new podcast into the premium feed every once in a while.
I'll just say you're vehemently wrong and leave it at that
And same with them getting sloshed at work on a stream in the middle of the week doesn’t seem like anyone cares too much about what they do over there. Professionalism means nothing to them, as Jeff sets the example for being a complete slob on stream. Sucks for sure but they sure as hell aren’t losing sleep over it.
Hm; I agree but I disagree
Like getting sloshed at work? Nawh, not a great idea. But at the same token the office environment is changing pretty drastically
How long I had to go into the office in "Business," style clothes, be it a polo or something like that, compared to now where no matter what company I work for, just as long as I don't look like/smell like shit, they don't really care
I'm in fucking gym shorts right now lol

Where company events had either no alcohol, or drink tickets, now are open bars and offering packages to stay at whatever venue they stay at. Get sloshed? Just pass out there

Can't work from home due to HIPAA/PCI compliance? Fuck it, VPNs over SSL connections are cool enough now; work from a coffee shop if you want

It's fuckin' weird for sure...do I think they could be a little more professional?
Totally

But I didn't start coming to GB because they were these professional office cut outs I deal with 5 days a week; they were just a group of people with a passion, goofing off and making money
This, doesn't scream "I'm a professional."

It screams "I'm an entertainer."
If you came to a meeting with that picture and asked me if these dudes were professionals on the job, I'd say "Nawh just looks like some homies fucking around in a game or something."

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
While I agree, I just have a hard time dealing with anything Giant Bomb does when they contradict themselves on a nearly daily basis.

There is a line between being professional and being an entertainer. GB are entertainers and get away with being way less professional and doing whatever the hell they want. But on the same side, they work in a professional building, Share offices with people such as businessmen and accountants. And have badges they have to wear when walking around an office... I'd classify that as a "professional environment". When I'm talking about being professional, I don't expect them to to dress in suites or anything like that, more then way they present themselves as industry representatives. Continually giving false information, not giving a crap about their work environment (mountains of cardboard boxes and candy from years ago just stacking up to the ceiling. Cables and wires for everything just laying wherever)... things of that nature. It just seems like a company run by highschoolers instead of 40 year olds who's parent company is CBSi.

I just seems like instead of criticizing everyone else, they could use a good moment of reflection to say "oh maybe we shouldn't be such slobs, and care about our company a bit"

Again, it won't happen, but making those changes would go a long way to making me care what they have to say again.

I disagree about Ben vs Abby. At least Ben played games before he got a job at Giant Bomb. and no Nancy Drew doesn't count. I'll know infinitely more than abby ever will about the gaming industry, and I actually care about it too. So whatever she says is nullified by her attitude. And she shouldn't have to be groomed into her position near 4 years later. Yes, OJT is perfectly acceptable... for the first month or so. If you don't know how to do your job or even basic history about your career years later.... You shouldn't be in that position.

It's more that I really see Giant Bomb resting on their laurels of "we did it first" way too much. So what if you did it first (guess what, they didn't) I was streaming Rock Band on Justin.TV back in 2008... along with alot of others. And as time goes on, pretty much anyone can do everything they do.... and also do it better. And just because some one does it better doesn't invalidate what they do, but to sit back, arms fold it and yell "We did it first" while not trying to improve anything just reeks of laziness and unearned confidence.

GB could do a tiny bit to greatly improve their company, but they won't, because they get a pass, because "they did it first" and "they are entertainers"

Aug 30, 2018
While I agree, I just have a hard time dealing with anything Giant Bomb does when they contradict themselves on a nearly daily basis.
Ayyyeeee; that's me in a nut shell lol
There is a line between being professional and being an entertainer. GB are entertainers and get away with being way less professional and doing whatever the hell they want. But on the same side, they work in a professional building, Share offices with people such as businessmen and accountants. And have badges they have to wear when walking around an office... I'd classify that as a "professional environment".
Yaaaapp, that's the balancing act I'm talking about, and how the work place is changing.
Ever heard of GoDaddy?
Their call center farms they get to have nerf guns and shit, no joke. Just as long as you're not a dick head and shoot someone on a call or something they're pretty cool with whatever. Of course standard social practices apply; someone tells you to stop or they're uncomfortable, stop it kind of thing
Think it was 2 or 3 CEOs ago the dude would throw company parties at his mansion in the area, get sloshed, and would hand envelopes with a check of a random amount and TVs to people and shit; fucking tried so hard to get invited to that shit, never was able to get it to happen though.

Current CEO is waaayyy less of a party dude from what I hear; old school but doesn't fuck with the vibe sorta guy
When I'm talking about being professional, I don't expect them to to dress in suites or anything like that, more then way they present themselves as industry representatives.
I mean to each their own, I guess
I don't tend to look at people in jobs as industry representatives; just people who do a job
I think that has to do with my bias of not being loyal to a company. Just as easy to get a new job as it is to hire someone else into my position /shrug
Continually giving false information, not giving a crap about their work environment (mountains of cardboard boxes and candy from years ago just stacking up to the ceiling. Cables and wires for everything just laying wherever)... things of that nature. It just seems like a company run by highschoolers instead of 40 year olds who's parent company is CBSi.
Hell even Rorie's noticed this shit lol; them being slobs is no secret. He started giving shit away on streams.
I disagree about Ben vs Abby. At least Ben played games before he got a job at Giant Bomb. and no Nancy Drew doesn't count. I'll know infinitely more than abby ever will about the gaming industry, and I actually care about it too. So whatever she says is nullified by her attitude.
The bold is the type of verbiage I will say usually results in people saying "You're pretentious prick."
Not saying that myself TBH; and since I often fall into being a pretentious prick myself, I like someone with conviction and will stand their ground, but just
Phrasing man lol
Give her time; I mean Brad had never beaten whatever NES Mario, he did it on stream lol
And she shouldn't have to be groomed into her position near 4 years later. Yes, OJT is perfectly acceptable... for the first month or so. If you don't know how to do your job or even basic history about your career years later.... You shouldn't be in that position.
Dude, give me the hook up on what corporations don't do annual performance reviews and I'm fucking in with that company. The only places I've been able to find that are small business and that's just not my jam, too little to do.
Most companies groom their employees in some regular fashion; be it being put on track to a promotion or a review process
It's more that I really see Giant Bomb resting on their laurels of "we did it first" way too much. So what if you did it first (guess what, they didn't) I was streaming Rock Band on Justin.TV back in 2008... along with alot of others. And as time goes on, pretty much anyone can do everything they do.... and also do it better. And just because some one does it better doesn't invalidate what they do, but to sit back, arms fold it and yell "We did it first" while not trying to improve anything just reeks of laziness and unearned confidence.

GB could do a tiny bit to greatly improve their company, but they won't, because they get a pass, because "they did it first" and "they are entertainers"
I agree somewhat
We did it first does have an appeal to consumers; if they did it first (Meaning monetized it, created a business out of it) and are still doing it, it's considered a solid product
The bottom line being if it works it works; they still have a subscription base, one large enough that CBS is cool with them sticking around, etc
If they really are in dire straits when coming to net profit, CBS will axe them and that's that.

Companies change; it sucks, yeah, totally
I've been through a similar situation; small company, finds investors, grows too rapid for control, and they lay off a bunch of staff and kill the original vibe, leaving all the corporate cutthroats around
Company is still doing fine, great product reviews, and I've sent people to them still, even if working for them ended up sucking IMO

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Yeah... I worked with GoDaddy... and a ton of other Registrars back in the day. That type of client has weird lax policies. That touchy feely hippy "don't harsh my mellow" vibe sucks and allows work to never get done. I want to get to work, work and go home. I don't need idea forests and bean bag chairs at work.

I see certain people as "industry representatives" depending on who they are. Jeff I would say is one, as he rubs elbows with pretty much everyone, and has been around for decades. abby, no. But also by association, and being a staff member of Giant Bomb, you kinda are. It's a weird line that isn't always clearly defined.

It's just crazy how seemingly ok they are with the subpar effort they all put in, and when actually doing what would be classified as bare minimum anywhere else, have to complain about how hard their jobs are, when most would kill for that position. Passionate people want to do good work, not because they are required to, but because they want to.

It also seems like just communicating with the audience would solve a ton of issues. Like today for example. 11am and all message boards are talking about was "is there streaming today?!" with a ton of speculation of "what if they are sick?" "maybe there was an emergency!" " I hope everyone is ok" all because they couldn't just put out a schedule or put a tweet out saying something... anything. They've set a precedent by streaming every day, for the last couple months. but they never want to even just tell people when or what they are doing. If I knew abby was streaming every Tuesday at 11, I'm make sure I do something else. It just seems like a bit of communication would help everyone. Not just the paying/not paying customer know what the heck is going on, but also help them be able to make sure they don't just go "uhhhh.... I don't know..... I guess we'll do this!"

Reactions: ThatGamingDude

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I wouldn't say 3 years in an industry makes you any sort of veteran; I would actually say that's rather new to an industry
It takes a while to climb ladders, especially in entertainment; including that people aren't retiring as early anymore (For various reasons)

I would probably look at her attitude as pragmatic; a lot of people stated she didn't really have knowledge of the industry (By the trainwrecks that were here GOTY discussions), sounds like management talked to her about that, honed in more on her experience, and are helping her build the connections and knowledge to do so
Kind of a standard long term growth plan for an employee, and seems to be being applied to all the juniors right now

Degrees make a lot of that come more naturally; video games don't really have much in the way of specialized degrees for it yet

Hopefully she'll shape up to be pretty well rounded instead of niche; out of the three noobs, she's above Ben in my book, that's for sure.
To be fair I never stated Veteran of the industry, though anything but new. My first real job at age 20, I lucked myself into a mid size tech company with nary a high school diploma. Within 3 years I was developing alongside actual industry veterans, hands on managing internal and external clients and had became lead of a small team of people twice my age. Veteran of the industry, no, but I could tell if my keyboard was upside down. Several years later I was making hiring decisions and I can tell you if being hired into a very small team like GB East, if you weren't pulling your weight and then some well before 3 years you're on a PIP and looking at the door.

Maybe I have a different take on what growth is and being competent at your job mean. But it sounds more like you have a crush on Abby.

Last edited:

bender

Apr 12, 2010
I do think we got a little spoiled with Drew and Vinny leading the production team for so long. Their jobs were mainly production focused and you'd get a sprinkling of their personalities whenever they got a chance to be on a QuickLook, stream or other feature. By the nature of GiantBomb being so short staffed in the beginning and by both of those fine lads having such great personalities, we started to see more and more of them. You couldn't ask for better people to be in that dual role. But you aren't always going to bat a thousand as evidenced by the producers hired afterwards.

Aug 30, 2018
To be fair I never stated Veteran of the industry, though anything but new. My first real job at age 20, I lucked myself into a mid size tech company with nary a high school diploma. Within 3 years I was developing alongside actual industry veterans, hands on managing internal and external clients and had became lead of a small team of people twice my age. Veteran of the industry, no, but I could tell if my keyboard was upside down. Several years later I was making hiring decisions and I can tell you if being hired into a very small team like GB East, if you weren't pulling your weight and then some well before 3 years you're on a PIP and looking at the door.

Maybe I have a different take on what growth is and being competent at your job mean. But it sounds more like you have a crush on Abby.
Ayyyyeee someone who speaks both of my languages

100% granted, I was just pointing out she's not and still has to get her merits in

And I agree somewhat with the PIP; I usually see PIPs in mid+ business scales. I've worked for a few small businesses now and there's no PIPs or anything, just do your work and go. Not pulling your weight? Depends on if the management cares to hire new people or not or just wants to work with 'em.
I think part of this is the liability with bigger businesses; treat everyone fair, chance to correct themselves, etc.

And crush on Abby? Not so much; I'm mostly indifferent about her being in the team other than derailing discussions and such.
EDIT: Part of that is that I dated one of these "Fake Gamers," and am currently doing so now. Just because they're not hardcore titles or not what us Gaffers would hop to playing, doesn't mean they're not games. Sims is a game, so is Nancy Drew, so is Putt Putt and Legoland.

Yes, I can 100% say that your experience in joining IT is not the norm; all about certs and experience. While getting more responsibilities isn't something out of the norm, but moved up out of entry level and being placed in ops is pretty strange without a degree or certs+experience

Yeah, people having a different take on growth and company development is why companies use different business models; if there was an end all be all company strategy, everyone would just use that. Same thing with work ethic

I think the idea of bare minimum is something people use to an extreme; just like in dev you want certain things to be the bare minimum, the rest is just UI/UX for the end user.

I'm not justifying their behaviors to your perceptions, I'm just stating that they are handling it the way they're handling it, and we don't know 100% all of their internal structures and processes so all we can really do is speculate
If I had more facts about their internal structure and work flows, I'd have a more solid opinion

Yeah... I worked with GoDaddy... and a ton of other Registrars back in the day. That type of client has weird lax policies. That touchy feely hippy "don't harsh my mellow" vibe sucks and allows work to never get done. I want to get to work, work and go home. I don't need idea forests and bean bag chairs at work.

I see certain people as "industry representatives" depending on who they are. Jeff I would say is one, as he rubs elbows with pretty much everyone, and has been around for decades. abby, no. But also by association, and being a staff member of Giant Bomb, you kinda are. It's a weird line that isn't always clearly defined.

It's just crazy how seemingly ok they are with the subpar effort they all put in, and when actually doing what would be classified as bare minimum anywhere else, have to complain about how hard their jobs are, when most would kill for that position. Passionate people want to do good work, not because they are required to, but because they want to.

It also seems like just communicating with the audience would solve a ton of issues. Like today for example. 11am and all message boards are talking about was "is there streaming today?!" with a ton of speculation of "what if they are sick?" "maybe there was an emergency!" " I hope everyone is ok" all because they couldn't just put out a schedule or put a tweet out saying something... anything. They've set a precedent by streaming every day, for the last couple months. but they never want to even just tell people when or what they are doing. If I knew abby was streaming every Tuesday at 11, I'm make sure I do something else. It just seems like a bit of communication would help everyone. Not just the paying/not paying customer know what the heck is going on, but also help them be able to make sure they don't just go "uhhhh.... I don't know..... I guess we'll do this!"
I agree with all of this; other than most people would kill for the position. Maybe some sort of celebrity status, sure, but eh, games journalism.

Last edited:

Here

Neo Member
Feb 22, 2020
Last week, apart from the Astroneer stream and a silent appearance in the Minecraft extravaganza, Brad was nowhere to be seen. He yesterday made an appearance on a new Astroneer stream with Vinny where he said he was fine but under medication. Vinny quipped that it actually made him a bit goofy. I only watched the beginning of that stream, but Brad seemed normal enough, if a little more talkative than usual. Now he's off the Bombcast again.

Is he having a mental breakdown, or is he sick? I hope so cause if not that's some inexcusable laziness right there. As was previously stated, a little communication on the state of things would go a long way. And please no more of that "on assignment" BS.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Yup, like I said yesterday and for years, if they just talked a bit, and didn't straight up lie under the guise of a unfunny joke that has been beaten into the ground, no one would have an issue. Instead of just saying "Brad went to the dentist, and he doesn't want to talk this week because of the pain/medication" they have to pussyfoot around the whole thing, lie to the audience saying he is "on assignment" (for which anyone who hasn't caught on to their little in joke, would mean he's out looking at a secret video game that's under embargo) and act like he never has existed. It's super weird and really just makes no sense. They always bag on the gaming industry for being unnecessarily secret, yet they do the same exact thing. If it was a big deal, addressing it by saying "look we can't talk about our day to day office environment because of NDAs." Bam, there, you explained it perfectly, and clearly and said legally you can't. End of story. But that isn't the case, but they take way more care to tiptoe around every little thing and cause massive confusion for zero reason. It's just weird and make zero sense on why a company who is public facing would intentionally confuse their customers.

Last edited:

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Ayyyyeee someone who speaks both of my languages

100% granted, I was just pointing out she's not and still has to get her merits in

And I agree somewhat with the PIP; I usually see PIPs in mid+ business scales. I've worked for a few small businesses now and there's no PIPs or anything, just do your work and go. Not pulling your weight? Depends on if the management cares to hire new people or not or just wants to work with 'em.
I think part of this is the liability with bigger businesses; treat everyone fair, chance to correct themselves, etc.

And crush on Abby? Not so much; I'm mostly indifferent about her being in the team other than derailing discussions and such.
EDIT: Part of that is that I dated one of these "Fake Gamers," and am currently doing so now. Just because they're not hardcore titles or not what us Gaffers would hop to playing, doesn't mean they're not games. Sims is a game, so is Nancy Drew, so is Putt Putt and Legoland.

Yes, I can 100% say that your experience in joining IT is not the norm; all about certs and experience. While getting more responsibilities isn't something out of the norm, but moved up out of entry level and being placed in ops is pretty strange without a degree or certs+experience

Yeah, people having a different take on growth and company development is why companies use different business models; if there was an end all be all company strategy, everyone would just use that. Same thing with work ethic

I think the idea of bare minimum is something people use to an extreme; just like in dev you want certain things to be the bare minimum, the rest is just UI/UX for the end user.

I'm not justifying their behaviors to your perceptions, I'm just stating that they are handling it the way they're handling it, and we don't know 100% all of their internal structures and processes so all we can really do is speculate
If I had more facts about their internal structure and work flows, I'd have a more solid opinion
She's a royal drag on the content and has become more grating and counter culture to the GB I grew to enjoy. When first hired she was much more subdued, timid even - new hire syndrome - and so much more enjoyable regardless of her fledgling status in the games industry or capabilities as a producer. She's grown comfortable, it seems, to take the reigns off and be as crude, political or bias as wanted. Her choice in games being presented is still garbage, games or not, to be repeatedly show when there is so much more out there. Fake gamer indeed, still not sure how she was hired as a (then) 4th member of a game site with a rather devout and particular mentality (at least it used to be that way).

Regardless, you're exactly right in that no one knows what entirely is going on behind the scenes, their org chart or corporate time sucks they have to be responsible for such as metrics reporting, projections etc. However, perception to the audience is quite important, especially in the now hyper-scrutinized games industry as a entertainer/presenter/journalist.

Even if everyone in this thread is more or less in the same boat by being ignorant on the internal ongoings of the place, it's a place to vent, bitch moan and complain about GB laying on the side of the road bleeding out begging for life. Not that it needs saying, you've already proven you can read (or be read to) about what gets posted on this thread. Still, it doesn't take enlightenment to see their qualitative output has declined and the aforementioned perception comes off as pretty rough.

As far as work competency, I'll just say I agree with some of your points, however it seems overall you have a softer approach to it than I. Maybe it's the almost two decades in and around the world of "tech", code jockeying, integration, solutions blah blah where performance is vital and a single mistake can cost lawsuits and millions of dollars (happened before). Three years is plenty of time to learn small scale production in their environment, the only real technical aspect of the job, and bone up on your nerd lessons to learn about the relatively confined industry that is games. Not rocket science. Put me in the booth and I could promise you I would be self sufficient and effective within a month. Hell, I'd probably make a better personality on screen too just for kicks.

Lastly, anyone can succeed in "tech" without the oh-so-popular and familiar pieces of paper that prove you're not a dumbass. Certainly not the norm I agree, but if you bust your ass and sacrifice a lot of good years of your 20's it can happen Just like any job, find an opportunity, punch above your weight and people will notice.

Anyway, that's my 2 Canadian pesos.

Yup, like I said yesterday and for years, if they just talked a bit, and didn't straight up lie under the guise of a unfunny joke that has been beaten into the ground, no one would have an issue. Instead of just saying "Brad went to the dentist, and he doesn't want to talk this week because of the pain/medication" they have to pussyfoot around the whole thing, lie to the audience saying he is "on assignment" (for which anyone who hasn't caught on to their little in joke, would mean he's out looking at a secret video game that's under embargo) and act like he never has existed. It's super weird and really just makes no sense. They always bag on the gaming industry for being unnecessarily secret, yet they do the same exact thing. If it was a big deal, addressing it by saying "look we can't talk about our day to day office environment because of NDAs." Bam, there, you explained it perfectly, and clearly and said legally you can't. End of story. But that isn't the case, but they take way more care to tiptoe around every little thing and cause massive confusion for zero reason. It's just weird and make zero sense on why a company who is public facing would intentionally confuse their customers.
B-Rad has a history of health problems, some seemingly a fair bit more serious in the last few years. Hope the fella is doing alright, and I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to announce personal health issues or general life mishaps. Otherwise yeah, if he's doing something games related and they're able, just out with it is already. Though doing so could spill the Brad beans of whatever's going on. Think Brad beans are like baked beans? He seems like a baked beans kinda guy.

Seems like they just use "on assignment" as a a catch all that's become part of their vernacular. It and other long running idioms or inside jokes have often been tongue and cheek in nature. Of the laundry list of other issues they have, I wouldn't lose sleep over that one.

chris121580

Aug 6, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Last week, apart from the Astroneer stream and a silent appearance in the Minecraft extravaganza, Brad was nowhere to be seen. He yesterday made an appearance on a new Astroneer stream with Vinny where he said he was fine but under medication. Vinny quipped that it actually made him a bit goofy. I only watched the beginning of that stream, but Brad seemed normal enough, if a little more talkative than usual. Now he's off the Bombcast again.

Is he having a mental breakdown, or is he sick? I hope so cause if not that's some inexcusable laziness right there. As was previously stated, a little communication on the state of things would go a long way. And please no more of that "on assignment" BS.
He said on his podcast with Will Smith that he was having surgery. Maybe dig a little deeper before trying to put someone down and call them lazy. There’s plenty to be frustrated with Giant Bomb about but this isn’t It

Reactions: DangerStepp

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
He said on his podcast with Will Smith that he was having surgery. Maybe dig a little deeper before trying to put someone down and call them lazy. There’s plenty to be frustrated with Giant Bomb about but this isn’t It
We shouldn’t have to go to a different podcast from a completely separate source that isn’t related to Giant Bomb, just to find out if someone is really “out on assignment” or they are sick or if they are in surgery, or they just don’t want to work. The whole issue is they just need to say “hey everybody it’s Tuesday! Brad isn’t here because he had a scheduled doctors surgery! Anyways, back to games!”... it really doesn’t require to be shrouded in complete secrecy.

But your point is valid. There is a ton of other glaring issues. Anyone else just get instantly mad seeing the newest GB hot content? Abby bragging that she won in the hottest game for jr highers, fort nite battle royale (not the paid game that everyone hated when it came out, the one that came out a few months when the devs copied Battlegrounds because it was popular)

Reactions: Here

chris121580

Aug 6, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
We shouldn’t have to go to a different podcast from a completely separate source that isn’t related to Giant Bomb, just to find out if someone is really “out on assignment” or they are sick or if they are in surgery, or they just don’t want to work. The whole issue is they just need to say “hey everybody it’s Tuesday! Brad isn’t here because he had a scheduled doctors surgery! Anyways, back to games!”... it really doesn’t require to be shrouded in complete secrecy.

But your point is valid. There is a ton of other glaring issues. Anyone else just get instantly mad seeing the newest GB hot content? Abby bragging that she won in the hottest game for jr highers, fort nite battle royale (not the paid game that everyone hated when it came out, the one that came out a few months when the devs copied Battlegrounds because it was popular)
Agreed. Not sure why they didn’t announce it and as usual...Abby is the worst. I’m enjoying the Minecraft content just because she hardly ever talks

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Hope Brad's surgery is nothing serious. The timing couldn't be worse. God speed.
He's fine, he did Astroneer with Vinny yesterday. Everyone immediately assumes the worst as soon as someone doesn't show up and lead to "PLEASE BE OK!!' "WE'RE SENDING GOOD VIBES!" when it's nothing more than him just wanting to have a day off. Again, why the communication and not keeping it secret would go a long way to not causing a ton of unnecessary panic and speculation.

I never listened to Hotspot back in the day, and finally listened to the first one. The only three people I care to listen about video games from the site actually talking about a subject pertaining to video games. I'd honestly wish they'd just break off and do that and play old games and that'd be it. Call it "Giant Bomb Classic" and only give me Jeff, Brad and Vinny talking about video games and video games only and I'd actually pay that non-sale, price for a premium sub, with a smile on my face.

Reactions: Here

bender

Apr 12, 2010
He's fine, he did Astroneer with Vinny yesterday. Everyone immediately assumes the worst as soon as someone doesn't show up and lead to "PLEASE BE OK!!' "WE'RE SENDING GOOD VIBES!" when it's nothing more than him just wanting to have a day off. Again, why the communication and not keeping it secret would go a long way to not causing a ton of unnecessary panic and speculation.

I never listened to Hotspot back in the day, and finally listened to the first one. The only three people I care to listen about video games from the site actually talking about a subject pertaining to video games. I'd honestly wish they'd just break off and do that and play old games and that'd be it. Call it "Giant Bomb Classic" and only give me Jeff, Brad and Vinny talking about video games and video games only and I'd actually pay that non-sale, price for a premium sub, with a smile on my face.
Maybe he didn't communicate it because he wasn't interested in the "PLEASE BE OK!!' "WE'RE SENDING GOOD VIBES!" sentiment. 🧠

Reactions: Drunkenski

Here

Neo Member
Feb 22, 2020
I hope Brad's okay too. I guess I jumped to conclusions. Still would have been cool to be in the loop.

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
Funny how I always was baffled how they had 10 or so Bombcasters but the weekly output was minimal. Ever since the quarantine they actually have put out content. So, no sure WHAT they did at the office.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Kinda ironic how they were making fun of the quality of the webcams / mics at Xbox event, in a podcast with a shit ton of audio issues. Why don't they record their audio locally and then mix it together? I've listened to a lot of conference call podcasts, and most of them have way fewer audio issues than the current bombcast.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Kinda ironic how they were making fun of the quality of the webcams / mics at Xbox event, in a podcast with a shit ton of audio issues. Why don't they record their audio locally and then mix it together? I've listened to a lot of conference call podcasts, and most of them have way fewer audio issues than the current bombcast.
Because that would require:
A. a producer who actually knows what they are doing. (Only Vinny does, and he doesn't have time because he's got kids)
B. Extra time to actually throw it into something like Audition or *shudder* Audacity, and actually do the solid 30 seconds of importing and lining up the audio tracks and then finally exporting it.

Remember, "They don't have time" for things like that, as they oh so abundantly have made clear over the last couple months. But its fair game for them to make fun of everyone else who doesn't have a professional setup, especially people who don't live stream for a living or from home for the last 45 days straight.

Side Note; I do actually agree that if Microsoft was going to make them do something like that, they should have had it better, but look around, the news, youtube channels, celebrities aren't making it look professional and amazing, so that precedent is set and lower quality is acceptable right now by most companies. Looking back in a couple years is going to look like complete trash though.

Reactions: Mr White and eot

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Because that would require:
A. a producer who actually knows what they are doing. (Only Vinny does, and he doesn't have time because he's got kids)
B. Extra time to actually throw it into something like Audition or *shudder* Audacity, and actually do the solid 30 seconds of importing and lining up the audio tracks and then finally exporting it.

Remember, "They don't have time" for things like that, as they oh so abundantly have made clear over the last couple months. But its fair game for them to make fun of everyone else who doesn't have a professional setup, especially people who don't live stream for a living or from home for the last 45 days straight.

Side Note; I do actually agree that if Microsoft was going to make them do something like that, they should have had it better, but look around, the news, youtube channels, celebrities aren't making it look professional and amazing, so that precedent is set and lower quality is acceptable right now by most companies. Looking back in a couple years is going to look like complete trash though.

To be fair to them, a massive Company like Xbox/MS should have this shit down, especailly for their big events, presentation is everything there! Google managed it for their last Connect showcase last week, Epic and Goeff Keighly managed it earlier today. Hell even shit tier Streamers look better sometimes than GB, they know how to do it, they just don't want to

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
To be fair to them, a massive Company like Xbox/MS should have this shit down, especailly for their big events, presentation is everything there! Google managed it for their last Connect showcase last week, Epic and Goeff Keighly managed it earlier today. Hell even shit tier Streamers look better sometimes than GB, they know how to do it, they just don't want to
Exactly, but with the last couple months, you see things like NBC and the Parks and Rec reunion and other huge production companies just doing zoom meetings and calling it a day. The bar has been lowered, but I expect something a bit more. But when you have someone like Giant Bomb criticizing them, all the while, having them just watch a YouTube stream and having audio out of sync in the same exact moment.... a bit hypocritical if you ask me. I downloaded it, threw it in premiere and exported it, all in a couple mins and did more than the actual staff did. I shouldn’t have to do their jobs to enjoy their content.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Discovered a really good old episode last night while running through RE5 for the first time. Wanted to see what the guys had to say about it. Jeff ripping into Punch-Out!! was refreshing. And then of course, Vinny’s RE5 experience with maxing out the magnum and blowing the fuck out of everything.

Punch Out talk @ 6m20s

Vinny & RE5 @ 1h 2m52s

Great stuff.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Discovered a really good old episode last night while running through RE5 for the first time. Wanted to see what the guys had to say about it. Jeff ripping into Punch-Out!! was refreshing. And then of course, Vinny’s RE5 experience with maxing out the magnum and blowing the fuck out of everything.

Punch Out talk @ 6m20s

Vinny & RE5 @ 1h 2m52s

Great stuff.

Nice, thanks for the tip on the podcast. I enjoy going back to the old ones from time to time but there's a ton to sift through. Jeff's beef with Punch Out and its "simple pattern recognition" being terrible is pretty much hot crap, though. The NES/SNES versions are rad and the rhythm is addicting. The Wii version doesn't actually exist, it was never made and it was all a bad dream. The original arcade Punch Out was pretty crazy. Nintendo's had an obsession with dual screens forever. Tried to get into RE5 but couldn't, also 4, 3 and 2. RE1 was fun because it was novel and scary as fuck at the time.

......or looking for a new job
Hi, thank you for your interest in a position with us. Sadly we are not hiring at this time.

Sincerely,
The World

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Nice, thanks for the tip on the podcast. I enjoy going back to the old ones from time to time but there's a ton to sift through. Jeff's beef with Punch Out and its "simple pattern recognition" being terrible is pretty much hot crap, though. The NES/SNES versions are rad and the rhythm is addicting. The Wii version doesn't actually exist, it was never made and it was all a bad dream. The original arcade Punch Out was pretty crazy.
Dude I loved the Wii Punch Out. You fight fucking Donkey Kong in it. The character animations are so good! When you knock the fuck out of Glass Joe, croissants and baguettes go flying everywhere. How can you dislike that? Lol

Im no Punch Out hater. I love them all, but I do agree on the pattern recognition (Super was definitely the hardest for me out of the console three, arcade beat my ass) being much easier as an adult than a kid and the fact that it’s really what that series is, reductionist view or not.

And also saying replaying those kind old fav games of that era are like a warm familiar handshake from an old friend? You play it for 20 minutes to get that tasty, dopamine nostalgia hit and then you can walk away with a smile. NAILED IT.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I just watched Ars Technica's newest War Stories on Alan Wake. I think they are doing some fantastic stuff over there. Listening to Sam Lake talk for 20 mins is just a delight and really makes me love Remedy even more. I hope they continue with a proper Alan Wake sequel soon. It's such a better Twin Peaks rip off than Deadly Premonition