• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
One of the only three games Alex will ever play, Civilization 6 is free on Epic. I personally prefer to buy games on Steam as I'm nearing 3K games on that platform, so it's my store of choice, but it's insane how big my library for Epic is just with free games. I wish I liked the real Civ games more, but I got into Civ Rev on 360 back in 2008 and really only ever enjoyed that one. Civ 6 was cool, but I always hated the micro managing of those games. Before We Leave is a fun new game too.

Really wish Giant Bomb would break out of their comfort games at this point. Almost two months of hanging out at home and they are playing the same handful of games. I'd go crazy if I just played the same games over and over and over again.

They really should change up the schedule/podcast format. How rad would it be to make the podcast a Game of the Week style for a change? Instead of something like the same "playing/news/horrible emails " format. I'd love them to all try a game out for a week and all come back and talk about it, what they liked, or didn't like. Basically what Game of the year for the last couple have been, but everyone actually plays the same game. What a concept!

bender

Apr 12, 2010
Did Jeff ever do any coverage of Mutant Football League?

GFW still remains king

Shawn directing that new BioShock joint 👍🏻
Infinite was pretty terrible mechanically. The game should have been cut down by half or two-thirds which could have easily been accomplished by not sending two or three waves of enemies at you during every combat arena.

Last edited:

Pobb

Neo Member
Jan 25, 2019
New Forest, England
Off and on yeah. My biggest issue with Idle Thumbs was that they all stopped playing games so they never had much to talk about
Early Idle Thumbs was probably my favourite podcast. Every now and then I'd go back through the first 50 episodes because they were so funny. Haven't done that for years, might be time for another listen.

Reactions: Kempton

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Saint's row the Third remaster is coming out... 2011 was the best year for gaming like ever.
It was definitely the best goty deliberations. Skyrim vs sr3 and sr3 should win hehe !
jeff likes the remaster? He did not liked Gears remaster (me neither but I love original)

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
So wtf happened to Brad? Did his brain explode or something?
He has some sinus issues and had nose surgery. Instead of saying that, they spent a couple weeks pussyfooting around it and causing a ton of rumors that were completely avoidable by just simply saying “Brad has nose surgery”. Anyways that’s what I gleemed from the Bombcast since they still made it as complicated as possible when talking about it. I don’t think they ever actually said the word surgery. Just talked about Brad’s nose gushing blood.

Reactions: Here

eot

Apr 13, 2012
He has some sinus issues and had nose surgery. Instead of saying that, they spent a couple weeks pussyfooting around it and causing a ton of rumors that were completely avoidable by just simply saying “Brad has nose surgery”. Anyways that’s what I gleemed from the Bombcast since they still made it as complicated as possible when talking about it. I don’t think they ever actually said the word surgery. Just talked about Brad’s nose gushing blood.
Oh okay, hope he recovers well then.
Tbh I kinda get not wanting to talk in detail about medical stuff, most people keep that close to the chest.

MikeDub

Dec 6, 2008
UK
He was more forthcoming on the tech pod with Will but yeah all he had to say was 'Having surgery, nothing serious and I'll be back asap'; no detail, just simple facts that we can all understand.

Anyway, I just wanted to highlight more Ben stupidity this week that made me laugh, actually laugh. During his Shadow the Hedgehog 'impression' it was great at exposing just how shallow, inept and incompetent he is. I want to think that Jeff was giving him the rope to hang himself but I'm not so sure; either way it was great to see him completely useless and unable to actually carry his own 'joke' as he stalled for time and verbally flapped around like a fish out of water. You ain't got the chops for thinking on your feet or being funny mate! Stick to regurgitating your slappin' memes, that's more your speed.

Reactions: SpiceRacz

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Oh okay, hope he recovers well then.
Tbh I kinda get not wanting to talk in detail about medical stuff, most people keep that close to the chest.
I don't see what's the big taboo. Nobody asks him to explain in detail

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
He was more forthcoming on the tech pod with Will but yeah all he had to say was 'Having surgery, nothing serious and I'll be back asap'; no detail, just simple facts that we can all understand.

Anyway, I just wanted to highlight more Ben stupidity this week that made me laugh, actually laugh. During his Shadow the Hedgehog 'impression' it was great at exposing just how shallow, inept and incompetent he is. I want to think that Jeff was giving him the rope to hang himself but I'm not so sure; either way it was great to see him completely useless and unable to actually carry his own 'joke' as he stalled for time and verbally flapped around like a fish out of water. You ain't got the chops for thinking on your feet or being funny mate! Stick to regurgitating your slappin' memes, that's more your speed.
When was this Hedgehog impression??

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
You mean you don't enjoy listening to Ben who picks the emails, god knows why, then gurgle and s-stutter his way through them? I can't be too harsh though, I too wasn't great at reading aloud in the first grade.
Ben picks the emails for West and Abby picks the emails for East. I hadn't even thought of that. Wtf... those two are responsible for filtering opinions about GB. I bet they moonlight as moderators on the GB forums.

Reactions: Drunkenski and Here

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
The email sections of both podcasts have become absolutely atrocious.

There used to be a balance they struck between the goofy/absurd and people who had interesting thoughts.

This has nothing to do with my butthurt at them ignoring my email about the evidence I found that Itagaki is making a new game...not one bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Here

like eating glass

Neo Member
May 11, 2020
Bombcast was at its best in the golden era when it wasn't "talking about games". the problem now is that on the modern bombcast, it's not funny or really interesting when they're off topic. They're straight laced in terms of how boring they've gotten, but not in as far as actually making the put together content that like, GameSpot used to.

Last edited:

YodaBB

Nov 19, 2019
I've actually thought for a while that at least some of the emails may be totally fake, especially Abbys. There are so many "What is/are your favorite [insert thing here]?" or pointless hypotheticals "If you had/were [insert thing here] what would you have/be?" type questions, it's like the same person is making them all up. I'm honestly waiting for "What's your favorite color?", it's only a matter of time. I mean, we've already had "What's everyones phone background?".

bender

Apr 12, 2010
A bit, yes. I actually saw it on UPF the other day on Infinite. 5/12/17.
Thanks for that. Wish they had more coverage of the completed game.

It's been a few weeks but I watched my first new GiantBomb content in a while. Minecraft Dungeons looks disappointing.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
"Who's Don Mattrick?"

Are you fucking kidding me?
This is exactly why I don’t value Giant Bomb much anymore. Why would I ever want to listen to conversations about video games from someone who knows infinitely less than me? It’s just insane. Are their demographics geared towards preteens now? Because that’s exactly who it feels like they are talking to.

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
I'll never understand how someone who "never cared about E3 before I got this job" got that job.

How quick would I be laughed out of the room/burned at the stake sidled up next to Howie Long and Terry Bradshaw: "I've never really cared about the Super Bowl until I got this job".

"Who is Jerry Jones?".

"Who is Joe Namath?"

I'd lose my job.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMadMan007

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
I'll never understand how someone who "never cared about E3 before I got this job" got that job.

How quick would I be laughed out of the room/burned at the stake sidled up next to Howie Long and Terry Bradshaw: "I've never really cared about the Super Bowl until I got this job".

"Who is Jerry Jones?".

"Who is Joe Namath?"

I'd lose my job.
One of her best friends, Casey Malone, is friends with GB crew. That's literally all there is to it. Pure nepotism.

Honestly the fact she even knows what a video game is is amazing.

Reactions: DangerStepp

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
"Who's Don Mattrick?"

Are you fucking kidding me?
Who's Ben Matlock?

How does she grow up with a total lack of knowledge of influential icons in media, especially that which she is employed? By being full of herself and transparently one note, that's how. I don't mean encyclopedic knowledge, but ask me for notable individuals in or around (insert industry here) and I'll come up with something. Imagine playing Trivial Pursuit with her - never mind, she doesn't know what that is either.

She's like Dan with his "I'm so dumb" routine, but instead of being silly, funny and endearing, it's shocking, laughable and disappointing.

Her resume to GB was probably a crumpled piece of feces smeared paper scrawled with "Bjork is best" and "butts r funny".

Reactions: ElKabong

Here

Neo Member
Feb 22, 2020
Her resume to GB was probably a crumpled piece of feces smeared paper scrawled with "Bjork is best" and "butts r funny".
Also, "ME ME ME". This whole St. Vincent crap is just another example of her egocentric childish behavior. God she's just the worst.

I was skeptical for a while, but she and Ben are what truly tanked GB.

Ramagamma

Neo Member
Mar 22, 2017
This is exactly why I don’t value Giant Bomb much anymore. Why would I ever want to listen to conversations about video games from someone who knows infinitely less than me? It’s just insane. Are their demographics geared towards preteens now? Because that’s exactly who it feels like they are talking to.
Yes because recognising Don Mattrick is the yardstick through which someones gaming credentials should be judged :eek:megalul:

Ramagamma

Neo Member
Mar 22, 2017
One of her best friends, Casey Malone, is friends with GB crew. That's literally all there is to it. Pure nepotism.
Hey man, Casey Malone is a fucking hero, re-tweeting notifications that Abbys away to stream Nancy drew for the 18th time this month to his 6000 followers

Ramagamma

Neo Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hey maybe if Casey Malone didn't force himself to play Fortnite streams with zany whacky brats he'd have the motivation to put down video games and twitter long enough to walk further than his fridge and lose some of his 25 stone fucking bulk

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
Also, "ME ME ME". This whole St. Vincent crap is just another example of her egocentric childish behavior. God she's just the worst.
I seriously think she's got some light version of narcissistic personality disorder. Any suggestions or advice from Vinny, Alex or Dan when she's playing a game (Resident Evil, Dead Space etc.) and she just screams "I'M FINE!" or "IT'S OK!". I don't think she shared her toys as a child.

• LOL
Reactions: Here and Drunkenski

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
Feb 12, 2018
Yes because recognising Don Mattrick is the yardstick through which someones gaming credentials should be judged :eek:megalul:
I mean he really did a number on the Xbox brand. You would thihk she would have learned some history while working there. I think she says shit like that to get the attention back on her. It doesn’t matter if its positive.

Anyway I’ve stopped listening/watching their content because it’s just so boring.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
It seems like you haven’t been paying attention. It’s something she does almost on a weekly basis. It’s not Don Mattrick, it’s the fact she continually asks “who/what’s that?” About near everything that should be basic knowledge for her job about talking about video games (since clearly “video producer” isn’t her main job).

She doesn’t have basic knowledge of the industry. Take her “I didn’t even know what E3 was until I got this job (2017).” How would you even respect someone’s opinion on a topic if they clearly don’t care about it? That’s the issue, not knowing who Don Mattrick is, is barely understandable, as he was responsible for one of the biggest screwups in the entire history of Video Games... her inexcusable lack of any knowledge about Video Games in general is infuriating.

bender

Apr 12, 2010
Sorry but cutting down a 9 hour game by 2/3rds is ridiculous
Infinite is about a 12 hour game. Call the story aspects about 3 hours, I'm fine cutting the remaining 9 hours of combat scenarios down by half to two-thirds especially when the game liked to toss two and three waves of baddies at you per combat arena. Cutting those extra waves would have made for a much less tedious experience. You can call that ridiculous, I'd call it a much better game.

Last edited:

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I seriously think she's got some light version of narcissistic personality disorder. Any suggestions or advice from Vinny, Alex or Dan when she's playing a game (Resident Evil, Dead Space etc.) and she just screams "I'M FINE!" or "IT'S OK!". I don't think she shared her toys as a child.
She's capable of behaving fine - she did when first hired, and occasionally after. It's probably her feminism and overcompensation as "a strong woman" coming out when she barks at the guys who innocently offer advice on a game, like any normal group of friends does. Add in how she wants to be the center of attention at all times - "me me me!" and butting into every conversation to add her side. Maybe she has a touch o' the ol' histrionic personality disorder, aka center of attention whore syndrome. Who knows, somethin' ain't right with that child. Something I bet a good slap across the face would cure. There are tons of great female games personalities that just don't do that crap.

In off topic irrelevance, Gamestop has actually carried two decent sales as of late. Either they are almost ready to scuttle the ship, or are giving it the heave-ho of older stock to help get back on course. I never shop there, but picked up COD: Infinite, FFXV, LOTR Shadow, and two whatever titles - Agents of Mayhem, The Division - for *2 Pesos* apiece, also Wolfenstein: NO, COD: WWII, Boarderlands Collection (never played either, I know) and Dishonored 2 for 5 clams each. Dark Souls 3 was also that price, but I know I'll never touch it - Bloodborne is sitting still wrapped on my shelf. I needed to shoot something for fun and gotta say the COD Infinite campaign is decent for those games, certainly worth the cost for a popcorn shoot fest. I miss decent FPS games not focused on multiplayer.

nonesuch

Neo Member
May 11, 2019

"Who is Jerry Jones?".

"Who is Joe Namath?"

I'd lose my job.
i've never thought of it like that. fuck me what a great way of putting it. i think what they asked was do you have comedy skills or what have you, can you think improv on the fly, be funny, can you learn to run a tricaster, but not who todd hollenshead or nolan bushnell are, do you know anything about the history of what we fucking do

now is it possible for you to shut your mouth and stay in the booth and run the wait where are you going get back in the booth don't put me in the booth put that VR headset down dan where are you going alex say something god dang what about my kids aw sugar

• LOL
Reactions: DangerStepp

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
It seems like you haven’t been paying attention. It’s something she does almost on a weekly basis. It’s not Don Mattrick, it’s the fact she continually asks “who/what’s that?” About near everything that should be basic knowledge for her job about talking about video games (since clearly “video producer” isn’t her main job).
She's proud of not knowing these things, and she thinks industry veterans are weird for knowing who Don Mattrick is, or what 99.99% of video games is. It doesn't register in her tiny brain that she's the dummy. Again... narcissistic personality disorder.

The fact that she unironically calls herself a "comedian" should be evidence enough that she needs psychological treatment.

Last edited:
Reactions: BibleBLACKED

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
She's proud of not knowing these things, and she thinks industry veterans are weird for knowing who Don Mattrick is, or what 99.99% of video games is. It doesn't register in her tiny brain that she's the dummy. Again... narcissistic personality disorder.

The fact that she unironically calls herself a "comedian" should be evidence enough that she needs psychological treatment.
Going to a couple of drop in improv classes and picking up a rotation or two in a comedy troupe does not make one a comedian. Is she gigging a solid 5 minutes at the Comedy Cellar 5 times a night? Also, I played 3 innings at the company picnic softball game, so you can call me a player in the MLB now.

I had just trimmed my nails and the wrapper was really hard to take off, so I gave up.

And wowww, the latest Best of GB is a shill for premium subs by means of a compilation of old clips. Yep, nothing best of worthy for the last 3+ months, so pull from the archives!

Reactions: ElKabong

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
Going to a couple of drop in improv classes and picking up a rotation or two in a comedy troupe does not make one a comedian. Is she gigging a solid 5 minutes at the Comedy Cellar 5 times a night? Also, I played 3 innings at the company picnic softball game, so you can call me a player in the MLB now.

I had just trimmed my nails and the wrapper was really hard to take off, so I gave up.

And wowww, the latest Best of GB is a shill for premium subs by means of a compilation of old clips. Yep, nothing best of worthy for the last 3+ months, so pull from the archives!
Don't forget her critically acclaimed Youtube show!

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
"Premium Video Grab Bag Vol. 1 (Bioforge, Volgarr, CD-I)". I thought people liked their quarantine content but I guess they're not doing so well if they have to resort to this pathetic level of shilling.

Last edited: