• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013
Take the above GB Forum post. Someone who clearly and nicely without any hate points out that they were "offended" by a term that directly is racist, and sexist, because of the skin color and gender and sexuality of a certain group. Like the EXACT definition of racism and sexism. Yet, mods, and the community will immediately call to arms and show full hatred for speaking out against it. The same thing they are saying shouldn't ever be done, and "cancelling" someone (What a stupid term, I hate it so much), yet they are doing it while saying the opposite. What a bunch of morons.
and it doesn't matter what the topic is, even if it's about cancelling premium or discussing the state of the content, you can write a page of text on your views just to get dunked on by low effort trolls then the mods will come in and act like you're the problem and need to go.

He calls them in like the last hour. Ben Hansen too.
People talk about Dan's legendary luck, but the luckiest thing that ever happened to him was bailing out of giantbomb in the year when it went full retard.

Look at him drinking and having fun playing games for hours and hours during lockdown, while the GB crew are now jumping over each other to show how woke they are while acting like getting paid to play games in lockdown is the most miserable experience known to man.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
People talk about Dan's legendary luck, but the luckiest thing that ever happened to him was bailing out of giantbomb in the year when it went full retard.

Look at him drinking and having fun playing games for hours and hours during lockdown, while the GB crew are now jumping over each other to show how woke they are while acting like getting paid to play games in lockdown is the most miserable experience known to man.
He was talking to Ben about how much more he enjoys games now as opposed to when he was at GB. He says he doesn't have to pretend to care or hear about a bunch of games he has no interest in. I'm assuming there's other reasons too considering that GB seemed like such a depressing place to be.

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I've been pretty much convinced that Dan left GB because he couldn't stand working with some of those clowns anymore. Even though he likes to say he was the heel of the group a lot, I think he was probably a little tired of being the punching bag too, especially since he was the one who actually cared about doing his job the most. He might not burn any bridges, but I would slowly go insane working with Abby and Alex every day. Vinny may be lost in some regards, but he still seems the most likable of the east crew.

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013
He was talking to Ben about how much more he enjoys games now as opposed to when he was at GB. He says he doesn't have to pretend to care or hear about a bunch of games he has no interest in. I'm assuming there's other reasons too considering that GB seemed like such a depressing place to be.
With the way Dan plays games on twitch and the way he talked about playing games on past podcasts I'd imagine being asked to play in 2 hour weekly chunks for months and months and months is in no way appealing to him.

It made me realise why he didn't enjoy games like Yakuza 0, because eventually the game itself goes from being fun, to a chore, then to a total pain in the ass because you can't move on with your life until its over.

Edit: and who the hell wants to get locked into Shenmue 2 for 6 months when no one other than Dan found some enjoyment out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: brap

nonesuch

Neo Member
May 11, 2019
It made me realise why he didn't enjoy games like Yakuza 0, because eventually the game itself goes from being fun, to a chore, then to a total pain in the ass because you can't move on with your life until its over.
at least when it came to the P4 ER they did it every day. or shit, maybe a few times a day, I'm not even sure how they recorded it. it was fresh in their minds, but god forbid they take up some long form thing that requires some kind of every day commitment.

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
at least when it came to the P4 ER they did it every day. or shit, maybe a few times a day, I'm not even sure how they recorded it. it was fresh in their minds, but god forbid they take up some long form thing that requires some kind of every day commitment.
I'm always amazed that the Deadly Premonition ER ever happened, especially with Jeff as a participant. I'm glad it did, but I have always been curious how they came to that decision. Especially with not only doing the VJ one, but the BR one. Not 1, but 2 ERs at the same time? Damn, it's like completely different people.

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010
The whole master/slave thing is the stupidest thing ever.

1. Those terms lived LLLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGG before slavery in America.

2. WHO THE HELL is using jumpers on hard drives to Master and Slave them??! No one that’s who, because that pretty much died out with IDE drives in 2003. Once SATA came out, that was the biggest change. That and no molex connector. Anyone crying about Master/Slave terms in regard to Hard drives is looking it up on Wikipedia because they have no clue what it is and have zero experience in the field.
Cable Select for life. I guess I was woke in that era too.

Seriously though, master and slave are used in programming languages. Python ditched the terminology in 2018 so the controversy isn't exactly new (in terms of internet time anyway).

Reactions: Dale-Gribble-

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
That'a a huge problem too, they act like their jobs are a catch 22 every single moment. No one is holding them at gunpoint to record for an entire day, but good grief, something like Mass Effect is taking forever. I beat all three of those games in less time than it takes them to record a couple episodes. I was watching the last three episodes last night, and in 2 episodes, he did exactly 1 mission that took 20 minutes tops. The rest of the 2+ hours was devoted to wandering around and dialog updates. It's part of the game, but why the hell do it 1 hour at a time once a week. That seems like the worst way to ever play a game. No wonder they all hate their jobs, it's killing them from the inside. It's not like they couldn't just record for a couple hours and at a good stopping point... just, stop. They act like the schedule needs to be strict and set and you can never deviate from it.... Exactly what Jeff claims to hate and doesn't want Giant Bomb to do.

You own a gaming website where you get paid to cover games. You pretty much have complete creative control as long as you continue the long running podcast and make videos. Sit down and play some games, write some reviews a couple times a year and you'll be compensated with money. Not too hard. You like playing old games? Bam, make a new weekly show called "Jeff's Quarter Club" Where you pull up your Mister and show off in detail a couple Arcade games, a game that is well known, and get the best score with a single credit , show one you know but might be obscure and see how far you can get within 15 minutes.... Play a new game that came out but isn't getting much coverage. Play a game you always wanted to, but never did for whatever reason. You don't have to play it every single time you show up on stream. You don't have to only play it on stream. You don't only have to play it for a single hour once a week. It's a game, have fun with it!

Seriously though, master and slave are used in programming languages. Python ditched the terminology in 2018 so the controversy isn't exactly new (in terms of internet time anyway).
Ah good to know. I don't program, last time I tried was trying to learn Ruby on Rails back in 2005. I've been steadily working on Linux stuff for the first time since 2001. I was always in IT, where I fixed stuff and set stuff up, never programming.

Zaffo

Feb 11, 2018
Bwahaha, ya know maybe I'm coming around on this era of GB. It's like a cavalcade of comedy every day. I'll need a neck brace soon from shaking my head so much, but this is a great show.

New in their forums, confirming the mods, and the "community" there are still as classy as ever:

For your amusement, man after that sick burn i'm fucking ashamed of existing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
I imagine feigning interest in whatever indie hipster trash the rest of GB played every week would get old real fast.

• LOL
Reactions: brap

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I had the Cyberpunk stuff on while making dinner and at the end Brad chimes in with this gem
Brad: I think back to Witcher 3 and playing that game was not my favorite part of that game
Jeff: Sure

Yeah. I couldn't care less of what these people think about anything anymore. One of the best games to come out in the last 5 years, and what it did for the series, genre and games as a whole and the publisher... just unbelievable that they couldn't wrap their minds around a 3rd "Action Adventure" game where you occasionally had to actually think about how to fight and do some light detective work. A game they quoted as "I don't have the time" "its too long" but immediately boasted about dumping 80 hours in a single week to MGSV which they turn on just like everyone else, even though, and I quote Brad again: "This is the greatest video game ever made, hands down".

Watching that Cyberpunk video was like pulling teeth for them, they all looked like they couldn't wait to be done.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
I had the Cyberpunk stuff on while making dinner and at the end Brad chimes in with this gem
Brad: I think back to Witcher 3 and playing that game was not my favorite part of that game

Yeah. I couldn't care less of what these people think about anything anymore. One of the best games to come out in the last 5 years, and what it did for the series, genre and games as a whole and the publisher... just unbelievable that they couldn't wrap their minds around a 3rd "Action Adventure" game where you occasionally had to actually think about how to fight and do some light detective work. A game they quoted as "I don't have the time" "its too long" but immediately boasted about dumping 80 hours in a single week to MGSV which they turn on just like everyone else, even though, and I quote Brad again: "This is the greatest video game ever made, hands down".

Watching that Cyberpunk video was like pulling teeth for them, they all looked like they couldn't wait to be done.

Did any of them finish the Witcher 3? I mean MGSV was a good game, a bad MGS game though but Witcher 3 is a masterpiece

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016

I'm sure Jeff has already started writing his excuses down for why he hates playing Cyberpunk.

A) it's not Call of Duty
B) the combat is "floaty" or some derivative of that
C) I bounced off of it
D) just didn't find any of the characters "compelling"

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Did any of them finish the Witcher 3? I mean MGSV was a good game, a bad MGS game though but Witcher 3 is a masterpiece
Vinny is the only one. Brad, Dan and Jeff all said "It was too long" and when the community tried to give them some advice and let them know it's worth their time they litterally said on the podcast "People keep telling us to play it, so we are going to do the opposite". Like a bunch of spoiled children. Yes, spite the community who you say is the whole reason you have jobs.

I'm sure Jeff has already started writing his excuses down for why he hates playing Cyberpunk.

A) it's not Call of Duty
C) I bounced off of it
Don't forget the "I didn't have time" excuse,which I can't wait to hear during GOTY recaps. I've already completed 38 games so far this year, and I wasn't paid to work from home at a job that pays to play video games. I'd honestly be surprised if they even completed 10 games this year (to be fair, barely anything has come out, and we are half way through the year)

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
Listening to the Beastcast (last Friday) I realized that Abby brings NOTHING to the table....at all. I watch and listen to other podcasts with women editors (like Tina Amini on Game Scoop) and they are actually interesting and knowledgeable. Abby only knows Nancy Drew, Sims and a little RDR2.

Also, this staff of 10 or so have all day at home and they each (maybe) put out one video every few days. And it's usually the same game every time. Why not play 2-3 games during the week?

WHAT DO THEY DO ALL WEEK?!

Oh, and BTW, How the fuck can Abby be 27 and not know how to drive? There is a world outside of NYC. No roadtrips? Does she really only rely only on trains, Uber and friends and family to cart her hair around?

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
I'm dreading the inevitable Beastcast discussion regarding all of this--you know it's coming and you can predict the exact dialogue that will ensue.

I wish they'd acknowledge it was discussed on the Bombcast and move on, but that ain't gonna happen.

In the future they need have the entire staff on the Bombcast to participate in the come to Jesus segment regarding that week's gaming drama so it doesn't have to be dragged all out again two days later on the Beastcast. If there's anything worse than being preached to, it's being preached to about the same bullshit twice in the same week.
As soon as that talk starts, I fast forward through it until they finally get to games. So tiring. Everyone does stuff that offends someone. Ok, move on.

Reactions: DangerStepp

thegame983

Neo Member
Dec 30, 2019
I think it was last weeks beastcast (I can't bring myself to listen to any GB content this week)

Vinny: 'So Abby, what have you been playing?'

Abby: 'Oh y'know, same old, same old.'

What the actual fuck?

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
Vinny is the only one. Brad, Dan and Jeff all said "It was too long" and when the community tried to give them some advice and let them know it's worth their time they litterally said on the podcast "People keep telling us to play it, so we are going to do the opposite". Like a bunch of spoiled children. Yes, spite the community who you say is the whole reason you have jobs.

Don't forget the "I didn't have time" excuse,which I can't wait to hear during GOTY recaps. I've already completed 38 games so far this year, and I wasn't paid to work from home at a job that pays to play video games. I'd honestly be surprised if they even completed 10 games this year (to be fair, barely anything has come out, and we are half way through the year)
Exactly. They are at home 24/7 and put out a handful of hours of content a week. AND being paid to play games. There are a LOT of games out they could be covering/playing. My backlog is growing like crazy. This year alone I have
Journey to the Savage Planet (don't remember them playing that much), Thronebreaker, Yakuza collection, Snackworld, Doom Eternal. FF7 Remake, Ion Fury, Project Warlock, Greedfall, Plague Tale, Last of Us 2, Desperados 3, Maneater and lots more.

But they seem inclined to play old games. The only one playing a new game on stream is Jason (Maneater).

Here

Feb 22, 2020
Abby 13 minutes in the Spongebob Squarepants QL: "There's not a whole lot I can say about this game".

GB really hit the mediocrity jackpot with Abby. Can't talk about games, but can mindlessly ramble on about Sandra Bullock, St. Vincent, "comedy", politics... Video games are over.

Pilgrimm1981

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2020

A) it's not Call of Duty
C) I bounced off of it
F) It got released after Phantasy Star 3, therefore it's bad

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
Abby 13 minutes in the Spongebob Squarepants QL: "There's not a whole lot I can say about this game".

GB really hit the mediocrity jackpot with Abby. Can't talk about games, but can mindlessly ramble on about Sandra Bullock, St. Vincent, "comedy", politics... Video games are over.
...don't forget Bjork

• Triggered
Reactions: Here

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Oh my. Look at the amount of pussyfooting required.

You'd think these dudes would get tired of covering for Abby. They might as well cut their balls off and mail them to her.

Abby absolutely believes that it doesn't matter what the truth is in all of these allegations, and its pretty sad that some people think she didn't mean what she said.

Reactions: RuneMan

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I think it was last weeks beastcast (I can't bring myself to listen to any GB content this week)

Vinny: 'So Abby, what have you been playing?'

Abby: 'Oh y'know, same old, same old.'

What the actual fuck?
so, what she means is that she didn't really play anything, and therefore didn't do her job.

She'll never get disciplined for any of the stupid things she does, so she'll just get worse and worse.

Naru

May 20, 2019
Btw: If you want to watch the Beast Cast fast forward to 34:40 to skip all the "virtue signaling".

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014

Seriously how the hell do they pick who does the QL, even Ben would've been a better choice as at least he would've played the original

Also what the fuck is this St Vincent shit? What did I miss?

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Seriously how the hell do they pick who does the QL, even Ben would've been a better choice as at least he would've played the original

Also what the fuck is this St Vincent shit? What did I miss?
I think Ben and Jan already played through that Spongebob game, so I don't know why they are quick looking it.

Abby is trying to get some dumb musician she likes to play Fortnite with her by just trying to manifest it or something. It's really stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Here

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
I think Ben and Jan already played through that Spongebob game, so I don't know why they are quick looking it.

Abby is trying to get some dumb musician she likes to play Fortnite with her by just trying to manifest it or something. It's really stupid.

Oh right, so my next stream is gonna be

"Fortnite with SCB360 with Ninja...eventually"

And thatll work? I genuinely hate what this site has become, I really do

Here

Feb 22, 2020

It's also incredibly embarrassing for the GB brand. As I believe someone already said earlier ITT, I don't understand how Jeff or Vinny okayed that St. Vincent crap. They really must not care anymore.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
It's also incredibly embarrassing for the GB brand. As I believe someone already said earlier ITT, I don't understand how Jeff or Vinny okayed that St. Vincent crap. They really must not care anymore.
I'm not even sure if it's totally legal. St. Vincent's record label could say they were improperly promoting and using her image. I think that's why they only used her image on the first one.

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
It really is weird. It looks like the home page for a site run by 12 year olds. I wonder what percentage of their content is Fortnite, Nancy Drew, The Sims, Minecraft, cartoon games, Pokemon, etc. I think the only thing I've actively skimmed in recent months is watching Jan go through Bloodborne for the first time, which is less about him or GB and more me just enjoying watching first timers experience those games.

Reactions: Dale-Gribble-

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
It really is weird. It looks like the home page for a site run by 12 year olds. I wonder what percentage of their content is Fortnite, Nancy Drew, The Sims, Minecraft, cartoon games, Pokemon, etc. I think the only thing I've actively skimmed in recent months is watching Jan go through Bloodborne for the first time, which is less about him or GB and more me just enjoying watching first timers experience those games.

I'll say 1 good thing about Abby, 13 deadly sims was her best idea, that had a poor execution, it should've been a battle royale instead of the lottery thing she did

Reactions: Noboru Wataya

Dale-Gribble-

Jan 9, 2015
Bwahaha, ya know maybe I'm coming around on this era of GB. It's like a cavalcade of comedy every day. I'll need a neck brace soon from shaking my head so much, but this is a great show.

New in their forums, confirming the mods, and the "community" there are still as classy as ever:

What would they say if this story was posted/quoted?

Brad said the movement in Witcher 3 was bad so he couldn't enjoy playing it.
Dan brought up RDR2 having the same "floaty" movement and Brad said "but its deliberate, I kind of like it"...

Listening to the Beastcast (last Friday) I realized that Abby brings NOTHING to the table....at all. I watch and listen to other podcasts with women editors (like Tina Amini on Game Scoop) and they are actually interesting and knowledgeable. Abby only knows Nancy Drew, Sims and a little RDR2.

Also, this staff of 10 or so have all day at home and they each (maybe) put out one video every few days. And it's usually the same game every time. Why not play 2-3 games during the week?

WHAT DO THEY DO ALL WEEK?!

Oh, and BTW, How the fuck can Abby be 27 and not know how to drive? There is a world outside of NYC. No roadtrips? Does she really only rely only on trains, Uber and friends and family to cart her hair around?
I'm pretty sure she rides a motorcycle.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Tbh in Europe it's not uncommon, but I guess the US is different because outside NYC you're fucked.

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010
Personality quibbles aside, I think where Giantbomb lost m

I'm with Brad and Jeff.

I played Witcher on the hardest difficulty setting, it's just not very interesting mechanically. Granted it has some more flexibility due potions and magic, but at it's heart it feels a lot like what was found in Assassin's Creed at the time. Much like a Ubisoft game, it litter the map with quest locations which robs the game of any sense of exploration. Those can be disabled sure, but the quests aren't written in such a way that would give a player clues of how to know where to go. Witcher's strengths are in it's World Building, Characters and Story.

I do think MGSV is one of the best playing open world sandboxes available.