• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I played Witcher on the hardest difficulty setting, it's just not very interesting mechanically. Granted it has some more flexibility due potions and magic, but at it's heart it feels a lot like what was found in Assassin's Creed at the time. Much like a Ubisoft game, it litter the map with quest locations which robs the game of any sense of exploration. Those can be disabled sure, but the quests aren't written in such a way that would give a player clues of how to know where to go. Witcher's strengths are in it's World Building, Characters and Story.

I do think MGSV is one of the best playing open world sandboxes available.
I found Witcher's characters and world extremely interesting as well, what I really enjoyed was just going out on Roach and heading out to question marks and stumbling across stuff. A little "hey, maybe try going here" was the perfect amount of direction, and it's up to you to spend the rest of the time completing objectives or finding a hoard of monsters protecting a chest or something along those lines. I don't need 1:1 hand holding telling me go here do this, fetch this, bring it back. But exploring with a tad bit of direction was perfect for me. But I totally see why some didn't like it, but when GB completely wrote off the best game of several years, and barely mentioned in in GOTY, I knew they were full of crap as people who claim to love like tolerate games

BTW: Witcher 3 doesn't take "hundreds" of hours to complete. I only played it once. on the hardest difficulty you could when it launched, and completed the main game with around 65 hours, I cleaned the entire game up with both expansions 100% completion,everything you could do at 136 hours.

As for MGSV, let me say this first: I played every MGS game on release, yet I only got a couple hours into each of them, mostly because I never liked Kojima's "steal pop culture and use it for my own game" style, or maybe it was his horribly boring convoluted story that never made sense. Sure Vampires and nano machines that basically are magic. Whatever. I've only liked one MGS game, at that was VR missions, because it was all about the gameplay and I enjoyed that, and the story was basically afterthought filler.

MGSV was the absolute pinnacle of the MGS games. It's gameplay and mechanics were pitch perfect. and I absolutely loved, and still love that game. I never cared about the FOB or online crap in that game. I paid attention to the main game and when it was over I moved on. I didn't care about the story one bit as like I said, I couldn't care less about Kojima's terrible writing that is both not just confusing but contradictory, rambling and incoherent. For others who like the story of MGS, I can see why they hated it, it's barely a Metal Gear game. I loved it because it was barely a metal gear game, just with the same characters but played almost completely different.

My only gripes with MGSV were the way it was produced. Getting Hollywood friends to come in and retcon everyone, was a mistake and made the game much worse. Yes, get Kieffer to come in and record a grand total of 3 minutes of dialogue for your main character, because he's famous. Yes, get the only voice actor in games to give a generic performance and completely redo and change one of the most influential characters in your series so he virtually is a completely separate and different character. Cover up the fact your a pervert with "she breathes through her skin, so she has to be basically naked". Add your name unnecessarily to every inch of the game, with thousands of unnecessary credit breaks, yes we know who you are Kojima, no need to tell us every 15 minutes.

The best thing about MGSV is that it isn't a Metal Gear story. The world wasn't interesting in it, mostly vast wide open spaces with nothing around, but it was still extremely fun and enjoyable, rad mechanics that let you play pretty much however you wanted. I'll always love MGSV, no matter how many people turn on it over and over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: bender

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010
I found Witcher's characters and world extremely interesting as well, what I really enjoyed was just going out on Roach and heading out to question marks and stumbling across stuff. A little "hey, maybe try going here" was the perfect amount of direction, and it's up to you to spend the rest of the time completing objectives or finding a hoard of monsters protecting a chest or something along those lines. I don't need 1:1 hand holding telling me go here do this, fetch this, bring it back. But exploring with a tad bit of direction was perfect for me. But I totally see why some didn't like it, but when GB completely wrote off the best game of several years, and barely mentioned in in GOTY, I knew they were full of crap as people who claim to love like tolerate games

BTW: Witcher 3 doesn't take "hundreds" of hours to complete. I only played it once. on the hardest difficulty you could when it launched, and completed the main game with around 65 hours, I cleaned the entire game up with both expansions 100% completion,everything you could do at 136 hours.

As for MGSV, let me say this first: I played every MGS game on release, yet I only got a couple hours into each of them, mostly because I never liked Kojima's "steal pop culture and use it for my own game" style, or maybe it was his horribly boring convoluted story that never made sense. Sure Vampires and nano machines that basically are magic. Whatever. I've only liked one MGS game, at that was VR missions, because it was all about the gameplay and I enjoyed that, and the story was basically afterthought filler.

MGSV was the absolute pinnacle of the MGS games. It's gameplay and mechanics were pitch perfect. and I absolutely loved, and still love that game. I never cared about the FOB or online crap in that game. I paid attention to the main game and when it was over I moved on. I didn't care about the story one bit as like I said, I couldn't care less about Kojima's terrible writing that is both not just confusing but contradictory, rambling and incoherent. For others who like the story of MGS, I can see why they hated it, it's barely a Metal Gear game. I loved it because it was barely a metal gear game, just with the same characters but played almost completely different.

My only gripes with MGSV were the way it was produced. Getting Hollywood friends to come in and retcon everyone, was a mistake and made the game much worse. Yes, get Kieffer to come in and record a grand total of 3 minutes of dialogue for your main character, because he's famous. Yes, get the only voice actor in games to give a generic performance and completely redo and change one of the most influential characters in your series so he virtually is a completely separate and different character. Cover up the fact your a pervert with "she breathes through her skin, so she has to be basically naked". Add your name unnecessarily to every inch of the game, with thousands of unnecessary credit breaks, yes we know who you are Kojima, no need to tell us every 15 minutes.

The best thing about MGSV is that it isn't a Metal Gear story. The world wasn't interesting in it, mostly vast wide open spaces with nothing around, but it was still extremely fun and enjoyable, rad mechanics that let you play pretty much however you wanted. I'll always love MGSV, no matter how many people turn on it over and over again.
I just really hate open world design that leads you by the nose. Game developers are so worried you'll miss out on content and sap that sense of discovery from these games.

I've always liked Metal Gear's story. It's bat shit crazy and wears it's influences on it's sleeve, but those influences are the same stuff I loved watching in the 80s. Kiefer had me checked out on MGSV's story. You can tell he phone(booth)d it in. Not only was the performance bad, it felts severely brief as I'm guessing he had time constraints or Konami couldn't afford him for pick-ups or re-recordings. .

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I just really hate open world design that leads you by the nose. Game developers are so worried you'll miss out on content and sap that sense of discovery from these games.

I've always liked Metal Gear's story. It's bat shit crazy and wears it's influences on it's sleeve, but those influences are the same stuff I loved watching in the 80s. Kiefer had me checked out on MGSV's story. You can tell he phone(booth)d it in. Not only was the performance bad, it felts severely brief as I'm guessing he had time constraints or Konami couldn't afford him for pick-ups or re-recordings. .
I didn't think it led you by the nose, it always felt more like the devs were saying "check this spot out if you want, there is something there". And it was just such a HUGE world, that you could take hours and hours and hours just roaming around without find much. Most of the time it felt like it was little tiny extra stuff, not main or side quests. Filler material, yet it was fun. But again, that was 5 years ago and I have completed several hundred games since then, so I don't remember much of the small stuff with that game, I just know I had a blast with it, same with MGSV. And yeah, I hope Kiefer came cheap, because his preformance wasn't worth even a hundred dollars, what complete waste of money.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019

She needs a break from doing nothing at work.
Dude, these people are soft as shit. They say the stupidest nonsense, and just hide like cowards when people push back on social media.

I kind of doubt she'll be off twitter for long though, she likes the attention.

Here

Feb 22, 2020
Dude, these people are soft as shit. They say the stupidest nonsense, and just hide like cowards when people push back on social media.

I kind of doubt she'll be off twitter for long though, she likes the attention.
She just started her minecraft stream a bit late and said something like "I'm starting a bit late but it doesn't matter cause the stream officially starts now cause the world revolves around ME!" Not even kidding about that last part.

Zero self-awareness. Just the pure shitty behavior of a spoiled child.

Last edited:
Reactions: JovianLizards

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
She just started her minecraft stream a bit late and said something like "I'm starting a bit late but it doesn't matter cause the stream officially starts now cause the world revolves around ME!" Not even kidding about that last part.

Zero self-awareness. Just the pure shitty behavior of a spoiled child.
She's so stunning and brave.

• LOL
Reactions: Shantae

Dale-Gribble-

Jan 9, 2015
its a dirtbike, not a motorcycle.

Also Ben doesn't know how to drive and he brags about learning how to earlier this year.
Two wheels + engine = motorcycle

Personality quibbles aside, I think where Giantbomb lost m

I'm with Brad and Jeff.

I played Witcher on the hardest difficulty setting, it's just not very interesting mechanically. Granted it has some more flexibility due potions and magic, but at it's heart it feels a lot like what was found in Assassin's Creed at the time. Much like a Ubisoft game, it litter the map with quest locations which robs the game of any sense of exploration. Those can be disabled sure, but the quests aren't written in such a way that would give a player clues of how to know where to go. Witcher's strengths are in it's World Building, Characters and Story.

I do think MGSV is one of the best playing open world sandboxes available.
Witcher isn't a platformer though, it shouldn't be judged solely on a few not so good game mechanics, again just like RDR2.
The only way to truly judge them, is to experience everything they have to offer. People are saying this same thing right now in regards to Last of Us 2, "dont' judge until you finish".
With The Witcher 3, I think it was just the GB crew being stubborn or something, I think I even remember someone emailing in about them finishing it, and Jeff getting mad or something.

Witcher 3 was by far my game of the year until MGSV released, just those two alone, what a year in gaming.
Edit- I played Witcher 3 on "Blood and Broken Bones", by the time I got 100% completion (dlc's included) I was at 175 hours, so maybe you play a little faster than others.
how long to beat witcher 3

Last edited:

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
LOL, every time I post on giant bomb now, I get flagged to hell until I'm banned from posting. Hahaha.....

It's beautiful, really.

Last edited:

bender

Apr 12, 2010
Witcher isn't a platformer though, it shouldn't be judged solely on a few not so good game mechanics, again just like RDR2.
The only way to truly judge them, is to experience everything they have to offer. People are saying this same thing right now in regards to Last of Us 2, "dont' judge until you finish".
With The Witcher 3, I think it was just the GB crew being stubborn or something, I think I even remember someone emailing in about them finishing it, and Jeff getting mad or something.
It's a game without any engaging mechanics. which is why I agree with Brad's sentiments. How much you can put up with playing the game is going to depend on how much you enjoy the characters and story. It's also not a short game, so you can't expect everyone to power through it. I did everything in the Witcher base game. I actually hit that stupid money reset bug after you earned 70,000+ gold or whatever it was. And my complaints about playing the game aren't coming from afar as a criticized it back then as well.

Dale-Gribble-

Jan 9, 2015
It's a game without any engaging mechanics. which is why I agree with Brad's sentiments. How much you can put up with playing the game is going to depend on how much you enjoy the characters and story. It's also not a short game, so you can't expect everyone to power through it. I did everything in the Witcher base game. I actually hit that stupid money reset bug after you earned 70,000+ gold or whatever it was. And my complaints about playing the game aren't coming from afar as a criticized it back then as well.
I don't feel that way personally, I liked the simply strategy of what potions to pop and what signs to use.
The swordplay was fine, not amazing, but overall I thought the mechanics were good.
Also I don't expect anyone who outright dislikes the game to power through it, don't waste your time.
Its just very surprising to me that not one of them finished it in its year of release, there was so much hype behind it.
Plus they had all of those positive things to say about it during the "best moments" GOTY segment.

Reactions: bender

bender

Apr 12, 2010
I don't feel that way personally, I liked the simply strategy of what potions to pop and what signs to use.
The swordplay was fine, not amazing, but overall I thought the mechanics were good.
Also I don't expect anyone who outright dislikes the game to power through it, don't waste your time.
Its just very surprising to me that not one of them finished it in its year of release, there was so much hype behind it.
Plus they had all of those positive things to say about it during the "best moments" GOTY segment.
I tend to nitpick. Then again OCD has me overplay games so unless you are egregiously bad, I can probably power through. It's a really long game so it's not surprising that no one finished it. They tend to whore around a lot as necessitated by the job.

Reactions: Dale-Gribble-

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Dirtbikes aren't real motorcycles, they are basically toys.

I would disagree that the Witcher doesn't have "any engaging mechanics". I am not even really sure what you mean by that. Because if you look at the game, it's got enemies who have to be defeated with different types of weapons, those weapons need to have oils applied to them, which give you buffs and debuffs. Same with the powers/signs. Using different signs on different enemy types yield different results. Sounds like pretty "engaging" mechanics to me. Also the massive amount of dialog options allowing Geralt to be a pretty nuanced character, that you can mold into your own personal version of him, Results might be small, but doesn't mean they don't matter at all. Let alone the entire card game system in the game (I hate card games, I barely got through Gwent. Great idea, I just personally hate card video games).

I have no problem with people not liking a game, that's part of life, but when people actively hate on a game, like Giant Bomb does for ZERO reason other than they don't want their fans trying to tell them what to do, then that's where I have a problem. They are very hypocritical in they criticism of games, without any actual backup. Facts they state are mostly plain false and wrong. When called out upon, they get hyper defensive and instead turn on the person (a fan who gives them money to watch them play games) and makes fun of them and basically berate the person to thousands of people.

brap

Jan 9, 2018

Those vengeful bastards :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is the section being referred to in the TOS:

And to be clear, I didn't even use this term against people I was having a discussion with. I was referring to a lot of the dudes being accused of sexual abuse in the gaming industry. 🤷‍♂️
its weaboo not weeabo.

YodaBB

Nov 19, 2019
Judging by their forums, their sub numbers must be in the toilet now. Scroll down to the bottom of the general forum and the oldest reply is 9 days ago :messenger_frowning_ off-topic is 2 months ago :messenger_fearful: and on the bombcast forum it's over a year ago :messenger_grimmacing_ At this point it's how long do ViacomCBS keep funding this shower. It must be costing about $2m/year in salaries/benefits (10x$75k x2 plus a bit). I'd be amazed if they've got 58k subs to cover that (@$35 per), nevermind the dual office/capital costs. That's a lot of money to produce videos mostly getting less than 10k views.

• LOL
Reactions: HotPocket69

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
How the fuck is diversity going to lower sexual abuse cases? What the absolute fuck?

brap

Jan 9, 2018
How the fuck is diversity going to lower sexual abuse cases? What the absolute fuck?

only straight wh*te m*les are doing the raping. also i wonder if jews are considered white if it comes to this stuff.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: O-N-E

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
[...] Abby only knows Nancy Drew, Sims and a little RDR2.
That's why she's in charge of the emails and why the emails she selects are garbage and has nothing to do with games. That way she can chime in with her worthless opinions without sounding like a dummy. Like "what's your favourite fast food LOL?"

Reactions: JovianLizards

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Judging by their forums, their sub numbers must be in the toilet now. Scroll down to the bottom of the general forum and the oldest reply is 9 days ago :messenger_frowning_ off-topic is 2 months ago :messenger_fearful: and on the bombcast forum it's over a year ago :messenger_grimmacing_ At this point it's how long do ViacomCBS keep funding this shower. It must be costing about $2m/year in salaries/benefits (10x$75k x2 plus a bit). I'd be amazed if they've got 58k subs to cover that (@$35 per), nevermind the dual office/capital costs. That's a lot of money to produce videos mostly getting less than 10k views.
You can see it in their comment sections too. They used to get hundreds of comments on average non triple A games, and when they did quick look triple A games they would get thousands of comments some times.

Now they have very few quick look comments even on hyped up games.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Oh fuck this just reminded me. On Dan's Mario Party stream when he called Jeff Jeff was talking about how there was a GB premium sale and shit. Dude was fucking shilling on Dan's twitch stream. GB is doing fine though guyiz!!!

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I wonder which is more likely, they get folded into Gamespot, or shut down all together. Sadly I think they'd be folded into Gamespot, but good news they probably would let go of some people.

I know in the past some people have said they don't wish for people to lose their jobs. But fuck it. I don't think Ben or Abby deserve their jobs, and I'd love for them to get fired. Even some of the old crew deserve to be fired for their shit work ethic.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019

And to be clear, I didn't even use this term against people I was having a discussion with. I was referring to a lot of the dudes being accused of sexual abuse in the gaming industry. 🤷‍♂️
I love how they don't even engage in a discussion with you. They say nothing to counter your argument, just that they think you should stay banned.

• LOL
Reactions: rkofan87 and O-N-E

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
What would they say if this story was posted/quoted?
Fake. Did it for the clicks.

Wow Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

That zombie pie guy is a real boot licker. Maybe I'll create a burner account and make a post letting him know he takes being a forum mod too seriously and should get outside. He acts like a neck bearded White Knight hipster while he and his triggered weaboo buddies lash out at others from their safe place like some virtue signalling social justice warriors. Also mra, and Chad Karen bigot Twitter.

Class act on telling him to shove it on your way out though.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
To be honest, I think all those terms are dumb and shouldn't be used anyway. You could easily circumvent the rules by describing it instead of actually using the word.

SJW: "someone who makes it their job to call out others when it doesn't directly effect them and is none of their business"
White Knight: "Don't be that person who praises a single person for no good reason. They aren't doing something absolutely amazing, just because you are attracted to them, doesn't mean to have to tell them they are perfect in every single way, that's their mom's job."

See, just typing something out makes you come off much more intelligent and also using those terms just makes people see you a certain way, since it's regurgitated canned verbiage that makes you sound like you can't think for yourself, you are just verbally copy and pasting someone else's thoughts.

Those mods are scumbags. I can vouch for one personally, the dude who originally made Drift Stage on kickstarter, took the money and then when he went dark for years, he came back with "I have mental issues, I can't complete the game". I'll never trust that dude and he was/is as far as I know still a mod at Giant Bomb. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. There need to be rules, and since its the internet, there is a lot of people who will say the most vile things imaginable because they know they can get away with it. But, when you lock it down so much that those rules only keep people under the thumb of people in charge, it becomes worse than just having no rules. I got banned from a place for a hit and run torrent and the only way I could join again, after being a member for over a decade was to visit the "badlands" in the forum and grovel and ask for forgiveness... What insanity, it's a torrent tracker for arcade games, get over yourselves.

Having moderators are needed, but don't pick people who are only there as yes men or as people who only will let the little power they have go to their head. It's pathetic. Mods should keep the discussion on track and be able to block people who are absolutely causing issues out, but only if it becomes something really bad or someone who repeatedly is just trying to be an asshole for no reason.

Your reply to the mod started out nice, but that last line is probably why they went "fine, you want to insult us, then you are banned until you apologize".
Sadly, this is nothing new and your comment won't do anything but give them pride that they don't have to deal with you anymore and they get to feel good they cleansed the precious forums from scum. I didn't think it was possible, but I lose more respect for Giant Bomb and their community every day.

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
I wonder which is more likely, they get folded into Gamespot, or shut down all together. Sadly I think they'd be folded into Gamespot, but good news they probably would let go of some people.

I know in the past some people have said they don't wish for people to lose their jobs. But fuck it. I don't think Ben or Abby deserve their jobs, and I'd love for them to get fired. Even some of the old crew deserve to be fired for their shit work ethic.
None of them are qualified to work anywhere else except those with production backgrounds. On top of that, aside from maybe Jeff there is no way any of the crew would be able to strike it on their own as streamers.

If GB folds (which I think will happen within the next 12 months), most of the GB staff are going to end up on welfare or forced to get normie jobs.

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
None of them are qualified to work anywhere else except those with production backgrounds. On top of that, aside from maybe Jeff there is no way any of the crew would be able to strike it on their own as streamers.

If GB folds (which I think will happen within the next 12 months), most of the GB staff are going to end up on welfare or forced to get normie jobs.
While this would be beautiful irony to me, and I would grin like an evil mastermind if that happened, I don't see it happening.

I think someone else in the industry who they're buddy buddy with would pity them and help them all find jobs someplace else if that happened.

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
While this would be beautiful irony to me, and I would grin like an evil mastermind if that happened, I don't see it happening.

I think someone else in the industry who they're buddy buddy with would pity them and help them all find jobs someplace else if that happened.
Perhaps, but in this economic climate I imagine that hiring another staff member to write fluff articles at Waypoint isn't high on the company agenda.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Perhaps, but in this economic climate I imagine that hiring another staff member to write fluff articles at Waypoint isn't high on the company agenda.
They have more connections other than just Waypoint. All these "game journalists" seem to be such a tight group. Unless they're canceled of course.

bender

Apr 12, 2010
I'm probably just dumb but the layout of their forums has always been confusing. There were a few times in the past I wanted to get ingrained into the community but just couldn't figure out the structure.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Totally, the forums make zero sense on how they work. I know Jeff talked about it years ago, and everything is in constant "A new update to the backend is coming soon". I've never been so turned away by a forum in my life. It's somehow worse than Nvidia backwards newer forums.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's probably designed that way on purpose. Think about it, they hate their fans, and want as little communication from them, so why not make their forums just awful enough to discourage use?

chriskun

Dec 7, 2006
Well, I hate to say it but this weeks beast cast was the nail in the coffin for me. They literally are apologizing for having people on their show before accusations were made against them. It doesnt even make sense, I’m having a hard time believing this isn’t some sort of satire, or a segment from a fucking Vonnegut book. What happened?

Jun 26, 2008
Well, I hate to say it but this weeks beast cast was the nail in the coffin for me. They literally are apologizing for having people on their show before accusations were made against them. It doesnt even make sense, I’m having a hard time believing this isn’t some sort of satire, or a segment from a fucking Vonnegut book. What happened?
I didn’t get why either coast was so apologetic and doing this soul searching, until I listened to Waypoint this week. Austin provides thought leadership to Giant Bomb to this day, and you won’t convince me otherwise after Jeff’s ineloquent takedown of Streets of Rage 4. Background there: Jeff could not use Austin’s exact talking points this time because Austin stated the week before that the reasons he was disappointed with the game were exclusive to his own history with Streets of Rage and no one else could have them.

My point being: This week, Austin expresses a grievance that he was asked to do a PAX panel for Giant Bomb with accused racist and rapist and Cards Against Humanity creator Max Temkin. Austin doesn’t go HAM on Giant Bomb, but he does say he was on the job for a few months at the time and believed his bosses did the research that would be allow them to get on stage with the accused. They didn’t, they hoisted Austin onto that stage...AND (this is me connecting the dots now) they have continued to bring these unsavory types onto their platform and continued to throw a boozed fueled E3 party that is also a networking event. Not everyone will feel safe there, but for some it’s a place to carve out a career. Not cool.

So Jeff is apologizing for alcohol and game events. Alex is apologizing for booking, not because he could have known, but because they knew once and did nothing. I’m certain that is what this is all about, but you would not even start to understand that by following Giant Bomb content, where they say nothing of value and it comes off more insufferable than anyone on Waypoint. They are either inauthentic or you can hear the hamster wheel squeaking in their heads as they speak. Thats a real tough space to occupy, and doesn’t leave a lot of hope for the future of the site. They are now dinosaurs.

Perhaps it would be more interesting to all if Giant Bomb would just air the corporate meetings where they coordinate responses to this shit, Business Dave shows them the graph where the lines crossed a year ago, Jeff refuses to downsize in response, and they decide to play Minecraft/Fortnite/Soulsborne to save the site. Except for Alex, who Jeff secretly respects for his on air protest whereby Alex makes the most boring content imaginable but at least he is being true to himself. Also Jan is doing good work.

So with that, I look back to the good old days gleeful and vindicated. I fucking hated how they would sacrifice 2 weeks of content TWO times a year to go to PAX. No Giant Bomb are not my dancing monkey, but fuck PAX and fuck those uninteresting panels.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Rebo

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Those mods are scumbags. I can vouch for one personally, the dude who originally made Drift Stage on kickstarter, took the money and then when he went dark for years, he came back with "I have mental issues, I can't complete the game". I'll never trust that dude and he was/is as far as I know still a mod at Giant Bomb.
Whoa, I had to look that up. I played and still have the Alpha of Drift Stage, thought it was rad - always wondered what happened to it. Took 5 minutes to look up, but yep, you're referring to Chaser324 aka Chris Pettit, a still very active mod on GB.

There's a 2019 post from the other guy on that project (probably the one you've read), the artist who at least seems to have a soul and spine. In part:

"The fact of the matter is - Chase Pettit abanonded the project in a very unstable and difficult to manage state - over the course of YEARS - giving only false hope in the form of vauge text messages like "I'll have something in a week". That week never came. He had given countless vapid excuses for his actions ranging from the "death of his grandmother" to "working in Mexico" - none of which he supplied any real evidence of - or for that matter displayed any remorse or urgency towards the state of the game - or the concerns of the backers.

As of now Super Systems has only one employee - myself. While I can produce new artwork till I'm blue in the face (actually I probably already am) - I can't program the game itself. "

I wonder what the rest of GB has to say about a thieving "dev" moderating their paying supporters? They've already looked the other way for years. How ironic the very type of rot in the gaming industry they preach about is dancing in their own house. How shameful.

Fuck them.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Whoa, I had to look that up. I played and still have the Alpha of Drift Stage, thought it was rad - always wondered what happened to it. Took 5 minutes to look up, but yep, you're referring to Chaser324 aka Chris Pettit, a still very active mod on GB.

There's a 2019 post from the other guy on that project (probably the one you've read), the artist who at least seems to have a soul and spine. In part:

"The fact of the matter is - Chase Pettit abanonded the project in a very unstable and difficult to manage state - over the course of YEARS - giving only false hope in the form of vauge text messages like "I'll have something in a week". That week never came. He had given countless vapid excuses for his actions ranging from the "death of his grandmother" to "working in Mexico" - none of which he supplied any real evidence of - or for that matter displayed any remorse or urgency towards the state of the game - or the concerns of the backers.

As of now Super Systems has only one employee - myself. While I can produce new artwork till I'm blue in the face (actually I probably already am) - I can't program the game itself. "

I wonder what the rest of GB has to say about a thieving "dev" moderating their paying supporters? They've already looked the other way for years. How ironic the very type of rot in the gaming industry they preach about is dancing in their own house. How shameful.

Fuck them.
Yup, I was the only one in the Drift Stage Backer forum ever asking “What the hell was going on and why aren’t the devs talking”... then when the game got on steam backers didn’t even know they got a key, I didn’t know for months. Then after more silence, I made a huge post on the Steam forum for the game and made it my personal mission to tell everyone how big of a con artist that dude is.

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
I'm fucking shocked. /r/giantbomb actually had a reasonable reaction to the Matt Pascual "situation". The GB sycophants and social justice warriors are at the bottom for once, and that's most likely why the mods locked the thread.

Link

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I'm fucking shocked. /r/giantbomb actually had a reasonable reaction to the Matt Pascual "situation". The GB sycophants and social justice warriors are at the bottom for once, and that's most likely why the mods locked the thread.

Link
Oh wow yeah, totally. It’s about fucking time that some people finally see the shit going on for what it truly is. At least the community has some brains, but the staff has theirs shoved too far up Abby’s vagina to see clearly.

Reactions: zinkn and ElKabong

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019

Link
Score one for civility and rational thought. Some of the replies from turds shaking their fingers and condemning this dude are laughable.

"Emotional abuse is still abuse and I fully believe the accuser has experienced some pretty nasty developments due to Pascual’s actions and I hope he truly feels bad about it. [...] My previous relationship was online and I feel like that was a source of some pretty bad actions on both my part and my then-partner’s end (not that online relationships are inherently bad)."

Oh brother, clearly a great source for input on such matters. Now I have to go cuddle with my anime girl pillow.

Reactions: ElKabong

chriskun

Dec 7, 2006
I didn’t get why either coast was so apologetic and doing this soul searching, until I listened to Waypoint this week. Austin provides thought leadership to Giant Bomb to this day, and you won’t convince me otherwise after Jeff’s ineloquent takedown of Streets of Rage 4. Background there: Jeff could not use Austin’s exact talking points this time because Austin stated the week before that the reasons he was disappointed with the game were exclusive to his own history with Streets of Rage and no one else could have them.

My point being: This week, Austin expresses a grievance that he was asked to do a PAX panel for Giant Bomb with accused racist and rapist and Cards Against Humanity creator Max Temkin. Austin doesn’t go HAM on Giant Bomb, but he does say he was on the job for a few months at the time and believed his bosses did the research that would be allow them to get on stage with the accused. They didn’t, they hoisted Austin onto that stage...AND (this is me connecting the dots now) they have continued to bring these unsavory types onto their platform and continued to throw a boozed fueled E3 party that is also a networking event. Not everyone will feel safe there, but for some it’s a place to carve out a career. Not cool.

So Jeff is apologizing for alcohol and game events. Alex is apologizing for booking, not because he could have known, but because they knew once and did nothing. I’m certain that is what this is all about, but you would not even start to understand that by following Giant Bomb content, where they say nothing of value and it comes off more insufferable than anyone on Waypoint. They are either inauthentic or you can hear the hamster wheel squeaking in their heads as they speak. Thats a real tough space to occupy, and doesn’t leave a lot of hope for the future of the site. They are now dinosaurs.

Perhaps it would be more interesting to all if Giant Bomb would just air the corporate meetings where they coordinate responses to this shit, Business Dave shows them the graph where the lines crossed a year ago, Jeff refuses to downsize in response, and they decide to play Minecraft/Fortnite/Soulsborne to save the site. Except for Alex, who Jeff secretly respects for his on air protest whereby Alex makes the most boring content imaginable but at least he is being true to himself. Also Jan is doing good work.

So with that, I look back to the good old days gleeful and vindicated. I fucking hated how they would sacrifice 2 weeks of content TWO times a year to go to PAX. No Giant Bomb are not my dancing monkey, but fuck PAX and fuck those uninteresting panels.
Even with the Max Tempkin stuff, arent they just accusations? And If I recall correctly, werent the initial accusations debunked? Now I have to listen to that bombcast ep goddamnit

Last edited: