• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

O-N-E

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2018
You know what's funny... Vinny has mentioned quite a few times getting into screaming matches with his wife and yelling at his kids.

Hmmm.... emotional abuse, much?

Jun 26, 2020
Dude, these people are soft as shit. They say the stupidest nonsense, and just hide like cowards when people push back on social media.

I kind of doubt she'll be off twitter for long though, she likes the attention.
They had zero reason to address that on the Beastcast. Have they completely run out of shit to talk about or what?

Why am I getting an opinion from some inexperienced 20 something that gets largely bases her opinions on whatever's popular on twitter?

Ramagamma

Mar 22, 2017
I've worryingly reached the point where I'm happy to complain about Giant Bomb while realising I don't watch their stuff

Saying that I did go back and watch an old quicklook called Motorbike today (from 2013) and it was hilarious hearing them rag on a game and make fun of it (deservedly so) in a way they probably wouldn't now for fear of being too abrasive.

Shantae

Jul 7, 2019
I've worryingly reached the point where I'm happy to complain about Giant Bomb while realising I don't watch their stuff

Saying that I did go back and watch an old quicklook called Motorbike today (from 2013) and it was hilarious hearing them rag on a game and make fun of it (deservedly so) in a way they probably wouldn't now for fear of being too abrasive.
Lol, oh Motorbike. Those were the good ol days. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Here

Feb 22, 2020
Lol, oh Motorbike. Those were the good ol days. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I always associated Motorbike with Ryan cause it was an amazing quick look just before his death.

"Fun" fact: Motorcycle Friday happened on June 28th 2013, just before Independence Day week and the unfortunate passing of Ryan. From June 28th to July 4th, there were 8 different Quick Looks, even though it was a holiday week and Ryan was having his wedding. Understandably, there was a lull in content the following week. Still, 8 QLs in the midst of a busy time was the norm back then.

Compare that to now. We barely get 8 quick looks a month, and they're not even worth watching 80% of the time. There is something wrong with their priorities.

Reactions: JovianLizards

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Spelunky again? I swear they each play like two different games and that's it. Holy shit, diversify even a little!
I'll never understand the mentality of playing the same game over and over and over and over and over and over again. What a waste of your life. Hey, you like a game? Cool, you want to go back to it every once in a while, totally fine and acceptable. But to just play the same thing a thousand times over, just seems like the worst way to play games ever. There is literally hundreds of thousands of video games at this point, 90% of them can be played at the drop of a hat with a few clicks. For a website about video game coverage, it seems insane to stick to the same game that has been (according to QLcrew) 49 separate videos. Most are an hour or two long. Yup that's putting your time to good use. I can't wait for GOTY discussions to hear them say "I didn't have time to get to it".

Reactions: Here

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Man. Screw the Giant Bomb “fans”. Jeff posted an unfinished on Trackmania. There were 4 comments when I made this comment.

“I hope Jeff stops with the soundboard and obnoxious borders in his videos. I've grown increasingly tired of it and really can't stand watching anything he does anymore. He used to be my favorite but the constant barrage of overlaying sound effects are not enjoyable, and really detracts from the game itself.“

Then only a couple minutes later I got the hive descending upon me and people defending it. Then I got this from Savutano

“ Naw, it's awesome. Don't like it? The door is over there. Bye”

What a nice and totally rational response not at all aggressive and mean.

Then when I went to reply to him, he changed it. It’s people like that, that make that community toxic and unappealing to even converse with.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I'll never understand the mentality of playing the same game over and over and over and over and over and over again. What a waste of your life. Hey, you like a game? Cool, you want to go back to it every once in a while, totally fine and acceptable. But to just play the same thing a thousand times over, just seems like the worst way to play games ever. There is literally hundreds of thousands of video games at this point, 90% of them can be played at the drop of a hat with a few clicks. For a website about video game coverage, it seems insane to stick to the same game that has been (according to QLcrew) 49 separate videos. Most are an hour or two long. Yup that's putting your time to good use. I can't wait for GOTY discussions to hear them say "I didn't have time to get to it".
According to steam ladder there are tons of people that have put in over 100 years of total game time. The top guy has 1.7 million hours logged, or 194 years. Dudes dedicated. Thought I was bad during my counter strike beta addiction days.

Shantae

Jul 7, 2019
Man. Screw the Giant Bomb “fans”. Jeff posted an unfinished on Trackmania. There were 4 comments when I made this comment.

“I hope Jeff stops with the soundboard and obnoxious borders in his videos. I've grown increasingly tired of it and really can't stand watching anything he does anymore. He used to be my favorite but the constant barrage of overlaying sound effects are not enjoyable, and really detracts from the game itself.“

Then only a couple minutes later I got the hive descending upon me and people defending it. Then I got this from Savutano

“ Naw, it's awesome. Don't like it? The door is over there. Bye”

What a nice and totally rational response not at all aggressive and mean.

Then when I went to reply to him, he changed it. It’s people like that, that make that community toxic and unappealing to even converse with.
Sadly a lot of communities are like this. Even some over here on gaf. Go against what most people there like, and you get told to leave by dismissive people. I think it was in this very thread someone told me once that "No one cares if you hate wrestling!" or something. It's a shitty attitude.

Giant bomb's "community" is long lost, especially the ones left on the site who haven't given up on commenting, or been banned, or blocked from commenting.

Reactions: Dale-Gribble-

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
Dude, Jeff Gerstmann is the snowflakeiest snowflake of all snowflakes that has ever been. I don't understand how some people have not realized this. Disagree with Jeff = you're an idiot. Slightly bump into any opinion he has = you're an idiot. Jeff Gerstmann might be the most entitled and coddled games "journalist" that has ever lived.

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
Dude, Jeff Gerstmann is the snowflakeiest snowflake of all snowflakes that has ever been. I don't understand how some people have not realized this. Disagree with Jeff = you're an idiot. Slightly bump into any opinion he has = you're an idiot. Jeff Gerstmann might be the most entitled and coddled games "journalist" that has ever lived.
No one has more disdain for their own fanbase than Jeff. It's fucking weird.

Here

Feb 22, 2020
No one has more disdain for their own fanbase than Jeff. It's fucking weird.
Well tbf, the distance he keeps from his audience is kinda what made GB appealing. It's better than what many Twitch streamers do, what with thanking subbers every 30 seconds.
I agree that Jeff has lost a lot of his mojo tho, and that he doesn't communicate with his audience much.

Reactions: TheMadMan007

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010
Sadly a lot of communities are like this. Even some over here on gaf. Go against what most people there like, and you get told to leave by dismissive people. I think it was in this very thread someone told me once that "No one cares if you hate wrestling!" or something. It's a shitty attitude.

Giant bomb's "community" is long lost, especially the ones left on the site who haven't given up on commenting, or been banned, or blocked from commenting.
Agreed. And it seems like it has gotten worse but maybe I just observe the wrong communities. Stray from the group think and you get labeled a detractor or much worse. It's part of the reason I like GAF these days. While I think the pendulum has swung too far the other direction since the reboot, I can understand the stance of letting more things go in favor have allowing competing opinions. Even if I fear I'm going against the grain in serious conversations more often than not, I don't have to worry about that being moderated.

I think most old school journalists have disdain for their communities so Jeff isn't alone. The last dude I can remember being cool with his fans is Jeremy Dunham (HULK SMASH). Still remember the Fight Night tournaments he arranged on the IGN Boards and the ass whippings he handed out. He's now at Psyonix.

The lanes the GB staff have fallen into are just so predictable and boring. Though I do got to give Jason credit, he seems to be bringing the most variety for the content he delivers.

Pilgrimm1981

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2020

Now you didn't do it to me, but I remember you saying in a different thread something along the lines of "Neo Member? Ok checks out..." That seems rather dismissive no? I remember it because that sort of mentality annoys the fuck out of me. I also want to clarify though that you might have meant it differently, that the person used a different account and therefore should not be taken seriously...in that case I didn't say anything.

Still I will agree that the community at Giant Bomb has become very hostile while still trying to maintain they're one of the healthier communities on the internet. Heavily polarizing creatures such as Abby will only make it more so. Must say though I kind of enjoyed last night's stream of Jeff and Trackmania, and also jan's story during Bloodborne. I'm also wearing my Luchadeer shirt today, and I feel ambivalent about it.

Jun 26, 2020
Judging by their forums, their sub numbers must be in the toilet now. Scroll down to the bottom of the general forum and the oldest reply is 9 days ago :messenger_frowning_ off-topic is 2 months ago :messenger_fearful: and on the bombcast forum it's over a year ago :messenger_grimmacing_ At this point it's how long do ViacomCBS keep funding this shower. It must be costing about $2m/year in salaries/benefits (10x$75k x2 plus a bit). I'd be amazed if they've got 58k subs to cover that (@$35 per), nevermind the dual office/capital costs. That's a lot of money to produce videos mostly getting less than 10k views.
I would be shocked if most of them were making $75k a year for doing what they do.

I would be annoyed if they actually are given the content we saw in 2019-2020.

YodaBB

Nov 19, 2019
I would be shocked if most of them were making $75k a year for doing what they do.

I would be annoyed if they actually are given the content we saw in 2019-2020.
I think I'm lowballing it to be honest. Klepek was on $65k when he left and that was 5 years ago (and he didn't even get a raise). Jeff must be on $100k+, the others who have been there since near the beginning - Vinny, Brad, Rorie, Alex - probably not far off $100k, Vinny on the most I assume. Maybe Abby, Ben & Jan are on less than $75k, but the average would still be well over $75k.

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
Not sure I'm with you on this, he is often heavily outvoted on GOTY stuff and puts up very little resistance because he knows it isn't going to fly. From what I remember of 2018, he fucking hated RDR2 but he knew it was going to get a top spot, so basically shut up. It was actually Dan who went to town fighting against it being so high up and lo and behold, Brad bitched out because he basically thought Dan had the "wrong opinion" on it and because shitting on Dan is the hip thing to do at GB (wonder why he left). RDR2 ended up at #4 because they knew they would be massive hypocrites if they didn't take his strong dislike into consideration after Abby shat all over Nier the previous year.

Been a while, but I'm sure that's how it went.

Last edited:

Ryuji Goda

Formerly '73 de Pijp'
Dec 3, 2018
Brad always behaves like a five year old during goty talk. He actually sits and pouts if it doesn’t go his way.

Reactions: zinkn

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
Brad always behaves like a five year old during goty talk. He actually sits and pouts if it doesn’t go his way.
I'd actually argue this is Jeff more than Brad (though both can be irritating). I'll never forget the Inside debate, which left Jeff essentially saying "whatever, do whatever you guys want, fuck Inside." Can't recall the category.

Ryuji Goda

Formerly '73 de Pijp'
Dec 3, 2018
I'd actually argue this is Jeff more than Brad (though both can be irritating). I'll never forget the Inside debate, which left Jeff essentially saying "whatever, do whatever you guys want, fuck Inside." Can't recall the category.
Oh yeah, I remember that. So dumb. Also, fuck goty talks.

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
Oh yeah, I remember that. So dumb. Also, fuck goty talks.
One of the nails in the coffin for that website for me was that they changed the whole GOTY format (that most people seemed to like) because Abby made a fool out of herself. Rather than constructively look at the backlash and gauge what their paying audience wanted, they changed the whole thing.

Just another example showing how they really don't care what the old school audience wants. The entire discussion was them running through every release and lamenting how they didn't have time to play them.

Last edited:

thegame983

Neo Member
Dec 30, 2019
One of the nails in the coffin for that website for me was that they changed the whole GOTY format (that most people seemed to like) because Abby made a fool out of herself. Rather than constructively look at the backlash and gauge what their paying audience wanted, they changed the whole thing.
I had no issues with Abby until that first GOTY she took part in.

I think the criticism she received for that really went to her head and she has been an insufferable bitch ever since.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
We all know Dream Daddy got robbed in best game. But it is better on their list than trash like Yakuza 0, Tekken 7, Dead Cells, Uncharted: LL, Persona 5, Resident Evil 7 etc.

Also Nier is sexist and I think Cuphead is a good game because it's a good game and it's good and I like it.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
I sure can't wait to hear goty talks this year. That ought to be an even bigger shit show than last year.

GB crew: This was a very hard year, we sat at home all day and couldn't find the strenght to play games. Abby what would you say about putting Sims into the top 5?

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I sure can't wait to hear goty talks this year. That ought to be an even bigger shit show than last year.

GB crew: This was a very hard year, we sat at home all day and couldn't find the strenght to play games. Abby what would you say about putting Sims into the top 5?
It’s been a pretty weak year for game output overall. TLOU2 will sweep everything anyway out of fear being called a bigot sandwich and then cancelled the fuck out.

My top for the year so far:

RE3
DBZ Cock n Rot
TLOU2
Doom Eternal
FF7R (the one I’ve yet to finish 😬)

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
Just like in 2017 where both Nier A. and Horizon were both my goty, this year, at least so far and I highly doubt anything will change it, my goty are FF7R and TLOU2.

Last edited:
Reactions: HotPocket69

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I had a good friend I haven't seen or talked to in two years because of "life stuff", send me a text message out of no where that just stated "holy fuck last of us 2 is rad.", skipping pleasantries like "hi". They don't even have a PS4 or play many games.

But yeah fuck TLOU2.

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I had a good friend I haven't seen or talked to in two years because of "life stuff", send me a text message out of no where that just stated "holy fuck last of us 2 is rad.", skipping pleasantries like "hi". They don't even have a PS4 or play many games.

But yeah fuck TLOU2.
You should play it 😎

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
It was best graphics. Which I totally agree with, Inside was nothing special, and the first 5 minutes of that game was the only real interesting part to me, the whole beginning chase was rad and really cool looking, but once you escaped it just kinda felt boring and didn't l even feel anything for the main character, and the big blob at the end was exactly that, a big blob. How they latched onto that for "Best Graphics" was beyond me. But this is a website that game Reus Best Graphics in 2013. That's when I knew they couldn't be taken seriously on games.

Last edited: