• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
The internet told me it would hurt my feelings and it's just bad timing given real world events and it's not gay enough.

Cereal though, I'm itching to get it but I'm forcing myself to finish Horizon before I do. I was day one purchase for the original and remaster and I never do that.
I found that the discussion surrounding TLOU 2 was more controversial than the content itself. It is definitely diverse with its range of characters but it didn’t bother me.
But most of us here are reasonable people who can appreciate diversity; it’s the people screeching about it that give it a bad name.
It’s solid stealth action and everything is well crafted. BUT it’s all about the story and you’re in for a mini movie that takes precedence over the structure of the game. Still solid though. Definitely a rental.
The GB guys are totally pussies for the few minutes I could stand listening to their most recent podcast discussing it. But everything GB is damn near complete misery these days and it’s not worth even arguing for me any more.

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
It was best graphics. Which I totally agree with, Inside was nothing special, and the first 5 minutes of that game was the only real interesting part to me, the whole beginning chase was rad and really cool looking, but once you escaped it just kinda felt boring and didn't l even feel anything for the main character, and the big blob at the end was exactly that, a big blob. How they latched onto that for "Best Graphics" was beyond me. But this is a website that game Reus Best Graphics in 2013. That's when I knew they couldn't be taken seriously on games.
Initially I was thinking I'm with them. I loved how Inside looks, and still do. The animation specifically more than the visuals themselves. I think it's really stunning. No issue with it winning here. I did go back and look though, and Uncharted 4 and Doom were the runner ups, and those are just visually impressive on every level so one of them realistically probably takes it.

That said I care less about what was picked, and more about how childish the discourse was (from Jeff) in getting there.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Initially I was thinking I'm with them. I loved how Inside looks, and still do. The animation specifically more than the visuals themselves. I think it's really stunning. No issue with it winning here. I did go back and look though, and Uncharted 4 and Doom were the runner ups, and those are just visually impressive on every level so one of them realistically probably takes it.

That said I care less about what was picked, and more about how childish the discourse was (from Jeff) in getting there.
My personal feeling about Inside put aside, I don't think it was an awful looking game, nor a bad game, just nothing to bring to the discussion of "Best Graphics", Gameplay was fine, but Graphics? I wouldn't even be in the top 10 best graphics in my mind. That's all, it just didn't make sense to me in the slightest.

Jeff being a big baby was just annoying as well, if they all were able to to make valid counterpoints instead of just stubbornly digging their heels in with "I didn't like it" I think the conversation would be a thousand times better

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Remember when Vinny tried to have a reasonable conversation about it with her and she said to him "Well I don't fucking care!" So mature.
Remember when just before that Abby said "[...] people are going to fucking trounce me for the rest of my career for talking about it". That, is referred to in the business world as "knowing when to shut the fuck up". She was so close, but her immaturity and personal agenda got the best of her.

I found that the discussion surrounding TLOU 2 was more controversial than the content itself. It is definitely diverse with its range of characters but it didn’t bother me.
But most of us here are reasonable people who can appreciate diversity; it’s the people screeching about it that give it a bad name.
It’s solid stealth action and everything is well crafted. BUT it’s all about the story and you’re in for a mini movie that takes precedence over the structure of the game. Still solid though. Definitely a rental.
The GB guys are totally pussies for the few minutes I could stand listening to their most recent podcast discussing it. But everything GB is damn near complete misery these days and it’s not worth even arguing for me any more.
Absolutely, it's a shame the internet hive crying outrage can sour something so needlessly. I already know I'm going to adore the game and can't wait. I was so bold as to claim the original had become one of my favorite games of all time. Naughty dog really knows how to write a fantastic story and transcend a game to near interactive movie.

Remember those commercials for Uncharted where the dude playing was stating how his girlfriend is down with the game? Totally spot on, they bring people who don't give a damn about games to the table and they're hooked. Exes of mine would do the exact same asking when we could play more. Good stuff.

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010
TLOU2 felt more to me like a miniseries that you played. It was paced in a way that could be divided into episodes.
I kind of think the game would have worked better if Abby's sections were an expansion a la Left Behind. Then again, that's probably a tough sell considering the circumstances of how she was introduced.

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I kind of think the game would have worked better if Abby's sections were an expansion a la Left Behind. Then again, that's probably a tough sell considering the circumstances of how she was introduced.
Nah they had to keep that dichotomy of the Ellie/Abby war tight and without any sort of lulls or breaks between.

Now, Tommy DLC I can 110% get behind, but you know there’s a snowballs chance in hell for that one.

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010
Nah they had to keep that dichotomy of the Ellie/Abby war tight and without any sort of lulls or breaks between.

Now, Tommy DLC I can 110% get behind, but you know there’s a snowballs chance in hell for that one.
Even though I didn't love the execution of the story, you are probably correct.

While I'd welcome Tommy DLC (that sniper battle with him was the best part of the game), the whole setup to Ellie's campaign pissed me off. Tommy goes to Seattle by himself to be followed shortly after by Ellie and Dina only to be followed shortly after by Jesse. There is no chance one if not more of them would have been picked off by the infected or bandits. Also, Tommy's new character model sucks.

Ryuji Goda

Formerly '73 de Pijp'
Dec 3, 2018
Remember when just before that Abby said "[...] people are going to fucking trounce me for the rest of my career for talking about it". That, is referred to in the business world as "knowing when to shut the fuck up". She was so close, but her immaturity and personal agenda got the best of her.

Absolutely, it's a shame the internet hive crying outrage can sour something so needlessly. I already know I'm going to adore the game and can't wait. I was so bold as to claim the original had become one of my favorite games of all time. Naughty dog really knows how to write a fantastic story and transcend a game to near interactive movie.

Remember those commercials for Uncharted where the dude playing was stating how his girlfriend is down with the game? Totally spot on, they bring people who don't give a damn about games to the table and they're hooked. Exes of mine would do the exact same asking when we could play more. Good stuff.

Funny you say that. My gf doesnt give a fuck about games but really likes watching me play TLOU2.

Reactions: Drunkenski
Jun 26, 2008
We all know Dream Daddy got robbed in best game. But it is better on their list than trash like Yakuza 0, Tekken 7, Dead Cells, Uncharted: LL, Persona 5, Resident Evil 7 etc.

Also Nier is sexist and I think Cuphead is a good game because it's a good game and it's good and I like it.
For a brief second there, you had me. I almost...but then I re-read it. Oh you!

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
We all know Dream Daddy got robbed in best game. But it is better on their list than trash like Yakuza 0, Tekken 7, Dead Cells, Uncharted: LL, Persona 5, Resident Evil 7 etc.

Also Nier is sexist and I think Cuphead is a good game because it's a good game and it's good and I like it.
2017 was such a great year for games and they chose pubg as game of the year and had dreamdaddy as a top ten game of the year. That's when I knew for absolute certainty GB had absolute shit tier taste on games.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
For a brief second there, you had me. I almost...but then I re-read it. Oh you!
Ehheheh... 😸 Never know, listen to enough GB these days, you may just start believing it yourself!

2017 was such a great year for games and they chose pubg as game of the year and had dreamdaddy as a top ten game of the year. That's when I knew for absolute certainty GB had absolute shit tier taste on games.
2017 was so packed with awesome, I'm still catching up on titles released then. Funny that Horizon (which I'm playing now) was just barely one spot above Dream Daddy on their list. I wish Danny, during his NoClip documentary would have told the people at Guerrilla Games GB thought their AAA title was marginally better than a visual novel dating sim where you "play as a Dad and your goal is to meet and romance other hot Dads" (that's quoted from the back of the box).

Oh, and if I recall correctly only two people on staff actually played it. Yeesh.

Here

Feb 22, 2020
Brad, speaking of TLOU2 : "That was the better part of the work week, getting through that game".

I hope there's at least a review otherwise that's a huge waste of time for basically zero content.

Reactions: ElKabong

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
The Steam Sale has been going on for the last week or so, and I just got around to actually buying a couple games. It's been pretty rough deciding on what to get as most of the games I have in my wishlist are early access. I know I won't enjoy them as much if I get them now and play through a potion of the game. So I only grabbed a couple that I know are fully done. Eastshade is basically Elder Scrolls without combat, it's really interesting and fun and relaxing. Fiinished Gato Roboto in a single sitting, and that was a fantastic basic metroid game. Played a little West for Dead and it seems neat, but I don't enjoy run based games that much. And grabbed a couple VR games that I've wanted to try but just didn't want to pay full price.

I'd be nice for Giant Bomb to do, oh I don't know, anything with an opportunity like this. A big sale, everyone is at home, maybe play some games that they wanted to that aren't the same single game or two for the last couple months, and actually make something worth watching. They are 100% coasting and playing games selfishly at this point. It's more of "What do I want to play? Oh I could stream this and it'll just happen to count as content and work"

It's really sad that they are so absolutely stuck in fear over pretty much everything to the point they are afraid to even play some games. The world isn't that bad, it's ok to go outside and take a deep breath of fresh air and get outside of your comfort zone. It's been months, and everything is pretty much the same as it was in January, just a little different.

Honestly Jan is really the only one that has done anything worth talking about by playing something he never did, but I can't stand Souls games and there has already been a ton of Souls games played on Giant Bomb. Other than that, I really just can't understand why they haven't spent a bit of time trying something else, play games as a hobby and enjoy new and different games. Ok, I take it back, I know abby is doing it too, with games like Mario Galaxy and Red Dead Revolver, but I can't stand her as a person, so I'll never watch it. But good grief why are the "newest" hires the only ones doing something for the site?! That's ridiculous and insane. It really just does go to show how lazy Giant Bomb is, when everyone except the newbies are the only one putting in some sort of effort. There is zero excuse.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Ctrl A + Del:

Giant Bomb is showing the typical descent into mediocrity that then becomes the norm. You can see it in many examples across the world now. GB built a fan base to support them doing anything. Look at the guard dog community over there, that with the smallest utterance of critique or disagreement out comes the abject scorn and contempt soon followed by a swift knock of the ban hammer. They were already in the dumpster before the plague hit and this is an easy slide into further normalizing mediocrity and laziness.

Quality across the entertainment industry has been marginalized to the point that good enough is now the standard.

It happened with audio:
Low bit rate MP3/AAC's ripped with garbage encoders (not even Fraunhofer or LAME) barfed up from the iTunes store have replaced CD's, shunning decent FLAC copies to the corner, let alone getting into MQA or hi-res audio like 24bit/96khz/192khz. But it's good enough.

Headphone jacks in mobile devices are dying off because Bluetooth audio is good enough. Paired with some chintzy packed in cell phone plastic ear buds you may as well listen to a blender set to liquefy filled with rocks. "Oh but the air pods are soo good". Please, you don't understand quality and you look like you stuck tampons in your ears. Though in fairness, aptX-HD, LDAC and the sort have made BT audio more viable as far as delivery is concerned, it's the hardware and implementation that suffer.

It happened with video:
A low bit rate internet stream utilizing god knows what codecs and encoders is good enough as long as it says "HD 1080". A 3000kbps stream at 1080p is pretty much garbage on Netflix. The color banding and noise are horrendous. Ice the cake with no 24p playback, and weak audio formats (multichannel audio is limited to Dolby Digital Plus, so no DTS or HD formats) and that's more or less the best it gets. But who cares, it's good enough.

Who cares that nearly all movies (aside from most PAL content, older OTA broadcasts and other oddities) is filmed at 23.976fps/24p and that the 60hz display you watch everything on, uses a 3:2 pull down to display your 24hz source material. Who cares, interpolate it, double frames, turn on motion smooth tru mega plus and crank the refresh rate to 120hz, to 300! Fuck it, more higher numbers!

At least Netflix switched to H264 high encode and (bleh) VP9 which shows signs of intelligence from them, and moved -some- of their audio up from a laughable 192kbps to the DD+ ceiling of 640kbps.

It happened with content delivery:
Why own a physical copy of anything when you could let a corporation dictate when and where you have access to it? Or perhaps they will just remove it entirely, with no recourse or compensation to you because of some back office politics and rights ownership. Why would I want to own and use as I feel fit the property I paid for, to let my nephew or niece borrow a game on disk? Fuck kids, right? Because it's good enough and it's convenient to download 60GB overnight instead of bending over and putting a dvd in a dvd tray. God forbid.

It happened with the entertainment industry:
Why watch an original show or movie when you could have another CGI filled Avengers churned out of the "Hollywood is devoid of original ideas" machine. Why listen to an acoustic three piece jazz band (with real instruments and people!) when you could blast your ears with today's release of auto-tuned, auto-made over gained electro dribble on a 4/4 beat so you can sing along. Don't get me started on how incredible and lucky we are George Miller was allowed to make Mad Max: Furry Road.

Why watch Giant Bomb do anything creative or play a diverse set of games, when you can watch dozens of hours of a dull man sit in a dull chair and play a dull trucking simulator - the epitome of exciting professions, long haul trucking, in game form!

Why? It gives you that saccharine hit that's (you guessed it) just good enough to let the brain dead drool start running down your chin and all you had to do was roll over and hit a button.

So who cares about Blurays or CD's or quality, squawks the pimple faced Youtube commenter praising his collection of "1080p HD" anime streamed from CrunchyRoll? "Physical media has no place, digital is the future!" he boasts. "It's 2020, I shouldn't have to think for myself!" "Alexa, order more face masks!"

People that grew up without the internet and the instant access culture it breeds care, those that use planar magnetic headphones like the Audeze LCD-2's or the now classic Sennheiser 800's running through dedicated DAC's and amps, people that spend thousands on a 77" LG Gallery series OLED to pair with their window rattling 5.2 setup and want to watch judder free 40000kbps content at 24p and listen to it with lossless DTS-HD sound at 6MBps. But most importantly, people that know they are getting screwed by the constant diluting of quality in the name of convenience and corporate bottom line.

And this brings me to my point. People that grew up with Giant Bomb, people that know what Giant Bomb quality can be like, are those that are ashamed of its watering down to brain dead levels. To witness quality turn to crap, to pay for and consume a far lower level of quality for the same, if not often higher cost all in the name of convenience - in this case, the convenience of GB. If enough people would resist being rolled over so easily and letting GB do the bare minimum to exist maybe they could put in a couple 4 hour work days (overtime to them) and turn that shit house around.

To the masses out there that let quality go unchecked, to allow the unfettered rise of laziness and lack of care, shame on you. Blame yourself when Ajit Pai, the FCC and content providers make it so your only option is to pay Youtube $70 to stream Star Wars XVI: Rise Of The Urban Jedi, or when Giant Bomb is reduced to a live feed of cardboard cutouts and a rooster named Abby crowing in the corner.

There's a reason the saying "They don't build them like they used to" exists. But you know, sometimes good enough is ok for people, just don't say it around me.

I need to go outside.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Nice writeup, yeah it's a sad state how media has someone devolved instead of evolved. Tech chooses the path of least resistance. I've never understood why anyone would accept bluetooth audio. It's not even that its "good enough", its more that most just don't care. The "just make it work" regardless of quality is what more people care about. Its people that don't know there is something better out there, coupled with the fact that they just don't care.

Reactions: eot

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Heh, thanks. More of a rant but I was thinking about it today and your comment on how lazy GB is set my fingers in motion. You're totally right though, many industries, just like people chose the path of least resistance. Go to a market that has both auto and pull handle doors at the entrance and watch people continuously go towards the auto doors, even though the pull door is closer.

The Hollywood dinosaurs and layabouts at GB and the like could learn a thing or two from the porn industry. Look at how they adopt new technologies, like HD, VR or interactive DVDs and push boundaries while innovating the industry every other day. Or how adaptable they are. Think the plague lock down is hurting business? Heck if anything it's doing better than ever. It's even educational. Do you know what happens to shoplifters when they have to talk to security, or when people take the bus? Or that it's really easy for step sisters to get their hand stuck in a sink?

Seriously, porn is great. For business.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
For all the whining and complaining they do on a daily basis, you'd think they'd want to get away from politics and play some fun games. Or maybe go do something about it. But nah, it's easier to just continue on and play the same games over and over again. They lost me with this lockdown stuff. It's completely near sighted. The last couple of days they'd completely stopped caring about dates and now are putting jokes in. "Day: RIP Carl Riener" "Day: 20xx" Yup, that'll be great for archival purposes when people want to go back a year or two from now and watch stuff and have no clue what content goes where.

Same with all this stuff we've been talking about. Instead of realizing what a great opportunity it is to grow the business, branch out and play games they'd normally not bother with, they instead double down on playing the same thing every time they stream. And you know they aren't playing anything else off stream, or they'd talk about it on the podcasts. I would have loved to see Brad play through Last of Us 2 since I have no clue when I'll get to it, honestly I hate that Naughty Dog releases these games a few months BEFORE new consoles, because they'll make a "remastered" edition (Remaster means "port" to Naughty Dog). Maybe get some fighting games going with the scum they call a "community", get some arcade or classic old school games going and do some netplay multiplayer (pretty insanely easy to setup at this point).... you know, basically what we all do for free because we enjoy the hobby. It would renew some of my interest in the site if they just put forth a bit of effort into fostering a good site with FUN content. Things that both benefit them and the paying customers, not just the selfishness of the staff. They need some tough love, but sadly you can't get anywhere even having a differing opinion on that site. You'll IMMEDIATELY get told to leave. Talk about toxic. Good grief.

Reactions: zinkn
Jun 26, 2020
Nice writeup, yeah it's a sad state how media has someone devolved instead of evolved. Tech chooses the path of least resistance. I've never understood why anyone would accept bluetooth audio. It's not even that its "good enough", its more that most just don't care. The "just make it work" regardless of quality is what more people care about. Its people that don't know there is something better out there, coupled with the fact that they just don't care.
The 'just make it work' mediocrity is just further reinforced by their community. Just like people that accepted how poor of a quality the Pokemon Sw/Sh games were and how eagerly Ben defended it on the podcast (until Jan said he didn't like some aspects of it).

You get what you pay for when you pay $35 for a years worth of premium, I guess.

Reactions: Hudo

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
Heh, thanks. More of a rant but I was thinking about it today and your comment on how lazy GB is set my fingers in motion. You're totally right though, many industries, just like people chose the path of least resistance. Go to a market that has both auto and pull handle doors at the entrance and watch people continuously go towards the auto doors, even though the pull door is closer.
You really summed it up. I think social media has really changed things so gradually in our culture, that people really didn't notice. I suppose some of the extreme things going on today has really highlighted it. Growing up, I'd always hear the previous generation say how they "didn't understand kids" or "they don't make them like they used to". It always seemed like a cliché old people said and I brushed it off. I guess I'm one of those old people now.

I really think that the aging GB cast, being in the industry dominated by younger people are trying to navigate this reality. The cost of not pontificating on these issues is higher than saying something. The more rabid part of the fanbase (and their new hires) demands it. What bothers me is the stance that every form of entertainment feels required to address these issues.

It's been like this for a while, but the indignant nature of the site is crazy. Alex is going to play a truck simulator for three months and he really doesn't give a shit if people don't like it.

Reactions: Drunkenski

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
;) Watching it in a packed IMAX theater was intense.
Im in the minority that thought Fury Road sucked aside from the visuals and sound design.

Just give me Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome

The game was fucking great too. Underrated as hell.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
You really summed it up. I think social media has really changed things so gradually in our culture, that people really didn't notice. I suppose some of the extreme things going on today has really highlighted it. Growing up, I'd always hear the previous generation say how they "didn't understand kids" or "they don't make them like they used to". It always seemed like a cliché old people said and I brushed it off. I guess I'm one of those old people now.

I really think that the aging GB cast, being in the industry dominated by younger people are trying to navigate this reality. The cost of not pontificating on these issues is higher than saying something. The more rabid part of the fanbase (and their new hires) demands it. What bothers me is the stance that every form of entertainment feels required to address these issues.

It's been like this for a while, but the indignant nature of the site is crazy. Alex is going to play a truck simulator for three months and he really doesn't give a shit if people don't like it.
Yep, pretty much. As usual, the Simpsons knew what was up. Marge: “You know, Fox turned into a hardcore sex channel so gradually I didn't even notice.” That was 25(!) years ago.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Im in the minority that thought Fury Road sucked aside from the visuals and sound design.

Just give me Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome

The game was fucking great too. Underrated as hell.
Furry Road also has amazing visuals and sound design.

Noboru Wataya

Bored at work, horned up to the gills
Jul 8, 2016
Northern Ireland, UK
R.I.P. Ryan Davis.

Seven years later and you're gone but never forgotten, buddy.

You chuckleheads get out your bottles of Eagle Rare and join me in toast to the memory of the founder, creator, and heart and soul of Giant Bomb.

When was the last time Jeff, Brad, Vinny laughed like this? I stopped watching them for about a year now, but I pop in here from time to time to see if the corn cob clown and the droopy faced slobber chop alien from MIB have been axed yet.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
When was the last time Jeff, Brad, Vinny laughed like this? I stopped watching them for about a year now, but I pop in here from time to time to see if the corn cob clown and the droopy faced slobber chop alien from MIB have been axed yet.
That was the last time, and no they haven't and probably will never get fired. They could actually murder someone and no one would bat an eye, as long as they don't say something that would "offend" anyone else.

I played a bit of the free version of Trackmania that came out today, it seems fine, I loved the VR mode they threw into Trackmania Turbo, that was really fun. But I've never been really great at the different control physics compared to regular racing games. I'm having fun and don't ever see myself paying for a subscription (geez, everything has to be a sub now huh? Remember when you bought a game and owned it forever?) Let me buy the full game for $60---oops now $70 is going to be the new pricing (Mark my words, GB will praise this on Tuesday's podcast... you know, the people who don't actually pay for games, will love the concept of higher priced games, because "devs need money").

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Didn't check their content for a while, went to the youtube page to see if there was a Bloodborne video - nope, last one is from two and a half weeks ago lol

Shantae

Jul 7, 2019
I still sometimes put on previously downloaded GB content as sorta like...white noise to fall asleep to sometimes, but I've been unsubbed, and haven't visited the site for weeks now, and I'm better for it. They don't deserve my clicks or money anymore.

Reactions: Inviusx

nonesuch

Neo Member
May 11, 2019
Alex is now using a pseudo-soundboard with memes and Price is Right horns for rating GH songs on his drum stream.

Let's just budget all of them a Streamdeck. Fuck it. That's better than actual words.

Reactions: TheMadMan007

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Alex is now using a pseudo-soundboard with memes and Price is Right horns for rating GH songs on his drum stream.

Let's just budget all of them a Streamdeck. Fuck it. That's better than actual words.
I saw that too. How incredibly lame and sad that they are all going to do this from now on.
1. Nothing about what they are doing is new or interesting.
2. The word "poser" comes to mind. Like wow, Giant Bomb used to pioneer the way game coverage was, now they are copying 12 year olds on twitch who went out and bought an elgato and a streamdeck and just are imitating them exactly.

It just goes to show you how incredibly uncreative they really are. When given freedom, what do they do? Copy everyone else. Yeah, they 100% don't deserve even the piddly amount of $35 a year. I usually have Alex's drum streams on as I cook dinner, as I find it at least interesting when he does playlists with themes, but that is totally over now. I don't need to hear the price is right horn or Stone Cold go "Hell Yeah" every few minutes... good grief it's actually embarrassing how hard they are trying to be "cool" and "hip".

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
Alex doing drumming week 15. Has he legit only streamed truck simulator and rock band/guitar hero for 15 weeks straight?

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
I’d be surprised if they ever go back to the office at this point. I would say Alex is hands down the laziest considering he’s done absolutely nothing new in three months. He is definitely taking the stance that he’s going to play what he wants to play and doesn’t give a shit.

I seriously cannot comprehend how these guys are getting paid full time salaries for doing a few hours worth of work a week. Are the subscription revenues that lucrative? I haven’t watched in weeks since canceling - what are the average numbers they are getting on streams?

I just checked metacritic and there are boatloads of games coming out every week. They should be churning out content given the circumstances. the Fun of GB to me was previewing new games and seeing what the various personalities thought of them. It helped me decide what games were worth buying.

They would always make condescending comments about streamers and influencers. Now they are doing the same thing and it’s so half assed. I follow YouTubers that produce more frequent and better quality content than these guys. It’s actually embarrassing. It’s like they have no dignity.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I’d be surprised if they ever go back to the office at this point. I would say Alex is hands down the laziest considering he’s done absolutely nothing new in three months. He is definitely taking the stance that he’s going to play what he wants to play and doesn’t give a shit.

I seriously cannot comprehend how these guys are getting paid full time salaries for doing a few hours worth of work a week. Are the subscription revenues that lucrative? I haven’t watched in weeks since canceling - what are the average numbers they are getting on streams?

They would always make condescending comments about streamers and influencers. Now they are doing the same thing and it’s so half assed. I follow YouTubers that produce more frequent and better quality content than these guys. It’s actually embarrassing. It’s like they have no dignity.
Yeah, they are hypocrites. Remember when they would make fun of Esports on a weekly basis? Then all of a sudden they embraced it like it was the most normal thing in the world. Or emulation? Or pretty much anything they make fun of? Spineless

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Alex doing drumming week 15. Has he legit only streamed truck simulator and rock band/guitar hero for 15 weeks straight?
He played Snowrunner like once, which was an interesting new game to be playing, then gave it up to go back to stuff that he's done before tons of times. No creativity whatsoever.

Last edited:

Here

Feb 22, 2020
He played Snowrunner like once, which was an interesting new game to be playing, then gave it up to go back to stuff that he's done before tons of times. No creativity whatsoever.
And those games he play are not that fun to stream. It's just the same thing over and over, especially the trucking thing. Drumming could be fun, depends on the playlist, but the main draw is the music, the whole drumming part just feels unnecessary after a while.

(Civ6 ranting)
I watched him play Civ6 that one time he tried something else and he was so bad at that I just had to close the stream in bewilderment. I don't need him to be a top tier player, but he would, for example, refuse to establish a trade route because it wasn't a foreign one. So he'd let his trader idle, wasting valuable domestic resources, passive road building, etc., basically contributing NOTHING after wasting several turns building it. I know this might sound silly to someone who has not played Civ6, but unless he intended to establish a new foreign route in like the next 5 turns, which wasn't going to be the case, an idle trader makes NO SENSE, and the fact that he would even consider putting a trader on idle really makes me question his understanding of the game.

Now, I've watched him play Mass Effect a bit, and he's bad at that too from what I can gather. He's also been terrible at most games he showcased in QLs or features. Action, strategy, RPG, you name it, he's just the worst. It all made me doubt his game sense in general, and has, to me, retroactively invalidated most of his past reviews. I can't fully trust a man who just fundamentally doesn't get video game logic.
He said at some point that he doesn't like math. Hey it's fine, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Tho I find that even gamers who don't like math can wrap their mind around the language of video games, something I haven't seen him do reliably.

And I kinda hate writing this whole thing cause I liked Alex as a support cast member in the Austin years. But now that they're putting a controller in his hands, he just keeps shooting himself in the foot, imo.

Ramagamma

Mar 22, 2017
It's weird watching Dan stream on Twitch, hes not playing a character like when on Giant Bomb. He's way less funny, way less entertaining, way less humorously obnoxious and yet comes across as enjoying videogames 10x as much as any current "duder" (god i hate that term)