• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I wonder what they will do for tomorrow's Freedom stream? In years past, they did awesome streams where they played tons of random older games, some newer and just basically sat around for a good chunk of the afternoon hanging out and having fun.

Tomorrow I predict a Hotspot episode for an hour where they hold things up to show a camera on an audio podcast, then play some minecraft for a couple hours, then for the big finale, call every white person that they are racists and terrorists and scum while spitting on the american flag.

Here

Feb 22, 2020
I wonder what they will do for tomorrow's Freedom stream? In years past, they did awesome streams where they played tons of random older games, some newer and just basically sat around for a good chunk of the afternoon hanging out and having fun.

Tomorrow I predict a Hotspot episode for an hour where they hold things up to show a camera on an audio podcast, then play some minecraft for a couple hours, then for the big finale, call every white person that they are racists and terrorists and scum while spitting on the american flag.
Pretty sure they said tomorrow's a day off.

Shantae

Jul 7, 2019
What? Why? It’s the 3rd tomorrow, not the 4th. And how is tomorrow any different than most of the week for them if they don’t do anything?!

There, there. I feel your pain. Trying to understand their lazy ass work ethic, and justification for taking holiday days, because it just happens to be close enough to the holiday, when they already got a shit easy job and get paid for doing jack shit....

It hurts my brain too.

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
I’d be surprised if they ever go back to the office at this point. I would say Alex is hands down the laziest considering he’s done absolutely nothing new in three months. He is definitely taking the stance that he’s going to play what he wants to play and doesn’t give a shit.

I seriously cannot comprehend how these guys are getting paid full time salaries for doing a few hours worth of work a week. Are the subscription revenues that lucrative? I haven’t watched in weeks since canceling - what are the average numbers they are getting on streams?

I just checked metacritic and there are boatloads of games coming out every week. They should be churning out content given the circumstances. the Fun of GB to me was previewing new games and seeing what the various personalities thought of them. It helped me decide what games were worth buying.

They would always make condescending comments about streamers and influencers. Now they are doing the same thing and it’s so half assed. I follow YouTubers that produce more frequent and better quality content than these guys. It’s actually embarrassing. It’s like they have no dignity.
Covid in the US is ramping up, literally been on an upward trajectory since February. They ain't going back until a vaccine is sorted at this point. So their coverage of next gen is going to be live from Jeff's bedroom 😅😅😅

Reactions: JovianLizards

Shantae

Jul 7, 2019
Covid in the US is ramping up, literally been on an upward trajectory since February. They ain't going back until a vaccine is sorted at this point. So their coverage of next gen is going to be live from Jeff's bedroom 😅😅😅
Nah, they'll end up protesting the PS5 because it's mostly white. lol

Or they'll come up with some lame excuse about how depressing the world is now, and that with 2020 being as bad as it was, that Sony and Microsoft really shouldn't have released consoles this year.

Ryuji Goda

Formerly '73 de Pijp'
Dec 3, 2018
4th of july is white supremacist now. Get with the program, bigots.

only the alt right would do a freedom stream in 2020.

Last edited:

nonesuch

Neo Member
May 11, 2019
What? Why? It’s the 3rd tomorrow, not the 4th. And how is tomorrow any different than most of the week for them if they don’t do anything?!
the 4th is a saturday

the 3rd is a friday

they need their days off, man. don't you underst you know what fuck this joke

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013
It's been like this for a while, but the indignant nature of the site is crazy. Alex is going to play a truck simulator for three months and he really doesn't give a shit if people don't like it.
March meeting:
So Alex what are you gonna do for lockdown content?
I dunno, maybe some Rock band or some euro truck.

July meeting:
So Alex what are you gonna do this week?
I dunno, maybe some Rock band or some euro truck.

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
You forget the coming 2-3 weeks of the new hires virtue signaling about it to tell everyone how woke and involved they are
On the podcast, 30 minutes will be dedicated to them saying a whole lot of nothing. Lots of exasperated sighing, not being able to find the words, guilt about amplifying it over the years, calls for the industry to change etc. It's all so predictable.

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
The 4th of July is observed on the 3rd this year since it lands on a weekend. Most everyone working in a business has off from work today, like me. Makes sense that GB would have off as well. You all are melting down over nothing really.

Reactions: Dale-Gribble-
Aug 30, 2018
Yeah it's pretty 100% normal you get the day before or the day of a federal holiday off

Like, so much so it's a typical thing to have written into a contract from the start
The only job I've worked where I had to work federal holidays is this one, but we're a data center, so we kind of NEED people on site just in case something happens

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Nah, they'll end up protesting the PS5 because it's mostly white. lol

Or they'll come up with some lame excuse about how depressing the world is now, and that with 2020 being as bad as it was, that Sony and Microsoft really shouldn't have released consoles this year.
You know, with the latest "National Parks are white supremacy" argument going on now, I wouldn't be surprised if someone came out and said that Sony is being insensitive because the PS5 is white.

Last edited:

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
The 4th of July is observed on the 3rd this year since it lands on a weekend. Most everyone working in a business has off from work today, like me. Makes sense that GB would have off as well. You all are melting down over nothing really.
Well, the thing is that they're not really going to be doing much for the weekend I would assume. I'm sure that they won't be going outside for Independence day because they're good little comrades who do everything the government tells them, so why not run a charity stream or something?

Actually, they should run it for themselves cause they probably need the money.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: HotPocket69

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I have never had the 3rd off, especially if the holiday was on the weekend, but whatever. It’s more about the fact that they aren’t doing anything the entire week nor was there any sort of communication as far as I know about this. I didn’t listen to the podcast this week.

Aug 30, 2018
I have never had the 3rd off, especially if the holiday was on the weekend, but whatever. It’s more about the fact that they aren’t doing anything the entire week nor was there any sort of communication as far as I know about this. I didn’t listen to the podcast this week.
Sorry, I don't follow
They've posted multiple videos and stuff this week
Are you referencing they're not going to do something next week??

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Yes, if a federal holiday falls on the weekend, it is observed either on the previous Friday or following Monday. That's how it goes for most all offices/businesses that don't fall under service type jobs and the like.

On Thursdays Beastcast it was noted as such they had the day off. Also interesting Vinny was so excited for the three day weekend, sounded like he could really use the time off from work. Funny thing, in my experience the guy in the office that complains about needing time off desperately usually isn't a hard worker.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Sorry, I don't follow
They've posted multiple videos and stuff this week
Are you referencing they're not going to do something next week??
sorry, I maybe didn’t explain that well.
No, I was saying they are lazy and don’t do much throughout the the week. I really don’t count them playing the same thing week in week out for an hour at a time to be “work” anymore. And I didn’t pay close attention this week since it is the same stuff and I skipped the virtual signaling podcasts. So I had no clue they were “taking the 3rd of July off”. Maybe instead of rambling about nothing, that worthless email they call a newsletter could inform people of the week’s/month’s plans and schedule. Highlight some upcoming content and give a heads up to the community of how the site is doing and what they want to accomplish.

As of now though, the site and staff are refusing to due anything except the bare minimum, and as a paid sub since 2012, I’ve lost all respect for them. I still enjoy part of discussions, when they have something of value to say, but the last few years bring less and less of that, to the point that now, they just sound like a bunch of people who can’t deal with anything in life and now live in fear of going outside.

Give me unknowns who have zero industry connections and just love video games and like to talk about it.
These “industry veterans” (not actually part of the industry, just media that reports on it) have nothing really of value, so they just make up stuff so they can keep their jobs of streaming an hour or two every couple of days and call it “work”. Give me a break. I hope more people realize these people have less enthusiasm about games than we do, and wise up to how unqualified they really are to talk about video games.

• Fire
Reactions: Shantae

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
To answer someone's question: Regardless of whether they worked Friday, they absolutely would not have done a Freedom Stream and haven't done so in a few years.

Friday would have been Minecraft like it has been for X number of weeks and months now. I don't think we missed out on anything special.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
To answer someone's question: Regardless of whether they worked Friday, they absolutely would not have done a Freedom Stream and haven't done so in a few years.

Friday would have been Minecraft like it has been for X number of weeks and months now. I don't think we missed out on anything special.
Sadly that’s 100% true. The last Freedom stream was 2014, when Dan first joined. It’s a bummer because it’s such a great opportunity to do something a bit out of the “normal” and really showcase why Giant Bomb was, at one point, awesome. I actually pulled up the past (only 2) Freedom streams from 2013 and 2014 and threw them on in the background while I worked and did stuff yesterday. It was a reminder that when you have people in front of the camera with personalities that don’t clash with the audience, and at least enjoying what they are doing, it’s great content.

Utilizing the time of the year to showcase certain games, like they did in the past with Brad and Ryan doing The Olympic Games, or with Patrick, when he went through all the Jurassic Park games. It’s perfect content that basically creates itself. People love to credit Dan with “all the amazing content he made”... it’s really not that hard to do, “oh I like metal gear, let’s play all of them!” That’s not really a great idea, it’s just playing a series. I do the same too, and I did it decades ago with games like the Quintet trilogy back on the SNES on my modded Xbox in 2002... It's just playing games, which we all do.

Reactions: DangerStepp

Dale-Gribble-

Jan 9, 2015
Sadly that’s 100% true. The last Freedom stream was 2014, when Dan first joined. It’s a bummer because it’s such a great opportunity to do something a bit out of the “normal” and really showcase why Giant Bomb was, at one point, awesome. I actually pulled up the past (only 2) Freedom streams from 2013 and 2014 and threw them on in the background while I worked and did stuff yesterday. It was a reminder that when you have people in front of the camera with personalities that don’t clash with the audience, and at least enjoying what they are doing, it’s great content.

Utilizing the time of the year to showcase certain games, like they did in the past with Brad and Ryan doing The Olympic Games, or with Patrick, when he went through all the Jurassic Park games. It’s perfect content that basically creates itself. People love to credit Dan with “all the amazing content he made”... it’s really not that hard to do, “oh I like metal gear, let’s play all of them!” That’s not really a great idea, it’s just playing a series. I do the same too, and I did it decades ago with games like the Quintet trilogy back on the SNES on my modded Xbox in 2002... It's just playing games, which we all do.
While not the same thing, they did "Star Spangled Beasters" in 2018, it didn't last long though.

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/star-spangled-beasters-part-1-oregon-trail-deluxe/2970-11393/free-video

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Yeah, that whole East stream thing was a mess. I had no problem with it other than it having Abby playing the games since she is unqualified in every conceivable way, but the whole outcry that we aren’t able to celebrate America because of the president at the time was just some of the stupidest mentality ever.

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
From the giant bomb forum:

To those wondering what they do all day, I guess the average week would look something like this right now:

• 8 hours being on-camera/streaming/podcasting
  • 2 hours of prepping streams and checking equipment/doing tests,
  • 2 hours of 'coming down' from a stream,
  • 8 hours of production work/meetings and editing/uploading,
  • 5 hours researching new games and keeping up on the industry,
  • 5 hours checking/responding to emails and dealing with CBS-related stuff (for some staff I imagine you would multiply these hours by two or more),
  • 5 hours for oddjobs (playing games to certain points to avoid spoilers, being on stand-by for another person in case of emergency/malfunction, etc.)
  • 5 hours for lunch/break
Total = 40 hours/week

Obviously that will vary from person-to-person (Rorie's schedule being a clear outlier from this, for example) but I imagine it kinda resembles something like this - even if the hours are all muddled up and it's all based on nothing but guesswork.

Then you've gotta factor in when personal interest and work interest intersects. To most of the staff, gaming is their primary hobby; to some of the staff, it's a secondary hobby. Nevertheless, it's a hobby - some of it is stuff they'd do in their own time. So work spills out into the personal life - and that's the case sans lockdown. Now it's doubly spilling over (as Vinny was referring to on that past Beastcast) and that makes work even more invasive.

I know most of us realise there is a work life beyond the camera and stream but breaking it down like this can be helpful in visualising what it might (again, might) look like and how it can totally be a 9-5 (and beyond) thing.

I think many of us see Twitch streamers and go: 'well, they're on all-day, all the time - how come they manage?' By not editorialising as much, by mostly being solo streamers that don't need to navigate other schedules, but not being tied to a corporate entity, by being 'freelance', by blurring the lines between work and personal life, by not really keeping up with the industry but just playing whatever their viewers suggest, by not considering whether or not they are playing something 'problematic', by not worrying about stepping on other people's toes when it comes to what games they play, by not worrying about embargos, etc. It all adds up. And you'll note that when a streamer gets big, they do start to slow down because they start getting weighed down by everything - such as emails, corporate sponsorship, co-streaming - and because, quite simply, they don't need to stream all day, every day.

So, yeah, I don't need the staff to do more for my money - they are doing a fine job. I would like a wider variety of games, some more quick looks (loads of indie games out there still being made) and some more multiplayer hijinks - but those things take more time to put together and research so I understand that this isn't as easy as it sounds. We always want something more but it's okay to stop and appreciate what you get too.
L to the fucking MAO

Aug 30, 2018

L to the fucking MAO
All just speculation, but from what I've experienced being a stage hand at local shows, actually not too far off
Though I would say they probably immediately go check their capture files and just do a quick analysis to ensure it has both AV streams

You'd think they could produce better content
Though, most popular productions aren't just 40 hours a week...

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019

L to the fucking MAO

When I was categorizing my time during a work week so I could successfully delegate some tasks/projects and manage time more effectively it looked a lot like that.

5 hours morning constitutional after several cops of coffee
2 hours checking equipment, laptop, mouse, chair, office light switch, watering plant
5 hours coming down after 90 minute lunch
4.9 hours checking emails
0.1 hours responding to emails
7 hours uploading coworker edited Gantt chart to CMS
5 hours reading Kotaku, polygon, checking Twitter, jotting down notes to stay current
8 hours sitting in office looking frustrated while playing minesweeper to avoid spoilers
8 hours telling co-workers how overworked I am/need time off
5 hours waiting in standby as someone else does their job
3 hours flirting with coworker on IM
6 hours categorizing time spent during week

Total = ???/week

So yeah, I didn't need to do more for my money. I was doing a fine job.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Drew's Cloth Map is finishing up:

Not returning to Games Media but is doing something new

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010

His Patreon has been in steady decline after the launch surge. Still has 1,150 Patreons which is about a 3rd of those launch numbers. I never really watched any of his content except for a few setup vlogs. Bummer he's not coming back to games media.

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
Imagine if Drew and Dan got together then CBS pulls the plug on giantbomb over some sexual misconduct allegations from Abby. Then in the fallout Brad, Jeff and Vinny joined and we get the old giantbomb.

bender

Apr 12, 2010
A Drew and Dave reunion would be preferable but I wouldn't mind Dan as his foil.

Ramagamma

Mar 22, 2017
Who the fuck are these 1150 people paying Drew to do fuck all and how can I convince them to do the same for me?

bender

Apr 12, 2010
Who the fuck are these 1150 people paying Drew to do fuck all and how can I convince them to do the same for me?
Step 1: Work at GiantBomb for a handful of years and become beloved by the community.
Step 2: Become a meme.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
“2 Hours from ‘coming down” off stream”...

Give me a break.

That whole thing is 100% speculation and grasping at straws to come to the aid of Giant Bomb., since GB refuses to talk about what they do, because they know it’s no where near that.
And none of that is relevant for any of the last several months.

They have 8 employees. They stream roughly about 5 hours a day. 2 of those days are taken up by a few hours of podcast that takes numerous breaks . The other days are taken up by a single person streaming for an hour-two hours maximum. They have a scheduled “production meeting” sometime during the week, which last a bit, but I don’t see how since they literally have been playing the same couple of games for months....

I don’t buy any of their excuses,but I really don’t care at this point. They can lie to my face about how “busy” they are. But the proof is the content they put out, which is below sub-par at best. They aren’t busy, they might even see doing some ok stuff, but it is a joke for a team of 8 people to produce that little and that low of quality of work. If it was actually decent stuff, they’d be able to slide a bit more. But as of now, they should really be ashamed of the “work” they are doing.

I had a 2.5 hour drive last night to get to the place I’ll be working at this week. I listen to last week’s Bombcast where they spent 20+ minutes literally saying nothing but “rape=bad”. NO DUH!!! took them over 50 minutes to even talk about video games. The entire time before they lamented that they had to “keep” talking about this stuff. Who is holding a gun to their head saying they need to talk about this crap?! No one knows or cares about it.
I’d find them a thousand times more useful if they just talked about a couple games they were currently playing, instead of all this crap like emails and news.
Give me a podcast where a person talks about the games they are playing over this trash any day of the week! That’s what I do on my podcast. I don’t shill out for sponsors, or talk about how I read kotaku’s articles and don’t beg for people to send me emails about what way my toilet paper is rolled. I just talk about games that I’m playing, some are new, some are old, sometimes I talk about movies. It’s really not hard to tell who and who isn’t a sellout/ just copying everyone else.

Last edited:

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
“2 Hours from ‘coming down” off stream”...

Give me a break.

That whole thing is 100% speculation and grasping at straws tocome to the aid of Giant Bomb., since GB refuses to talk about what they do, because they no it’s no where near that.
And none of that is relevant for any of the last several months.

They have 8 employees. They stream roughly about 5 hours a day. 2 of those days are taken up by a few hours of podcast that takes numerous breaks . The other days are taken up by a single person streaming for an hour-two hours maximum. They have a scheduled “production meeting” sometime during the week, which last a bit, but I don’t see how since they litterally have been playing the same couple of games for months....

I don’t buy any of their excuses,but I really don’t care at this point. They can lie to my face about how “busy” they are. But the proof is the content they put out, which is below sub-par at best. They aren’t busy, they might even see doing some ok stuff, but it is a joke for a team of 8 people to produce that little and that low of quality of work. If it was actually decent stuff, they’d be able to slide a bit more. But as of now, they should really be ashamed of the “work” they are doing.

I had a 2.5 hour drive last night to get to the place I’ll be working at this week. I listen to last week’s Bombcast where they spent 20+ minutes litterally saying nothing but “rape=bad”. NO DUH!!! took them over 50 minutes to even talk about video games. The entire time before they lamented that they had to “keep” talking about this stuff. Who is holding a gun to their head saying they need to talk about this crap?! No one knows or cares about it.
I’d find them a thousand times more useful if they just talked about a couple games they were currently playing, instead of all this crap like emails and news.
Give me a podcast where a person talks about the games they are playing over this trash any day of the week! That’s what I do on my podcast. I don’t shill out for sponsors, or talk about how I read kotaku’s articles and don’t beg for people to send me emails about what way my toilet paper is rolled. I just talk about games that I’m playing, some are new, some are old, sometimes I talk about movies. It’s really not hard to tell who and who isn’t a sellout/ just copying everyone else.
Now lets compare that to Easy Allies who also have 8 employees as well, stream for hours per day, produced and edited content, multiple podcasts and generally willing to try new things and listen to fans.

They really do outshine GB and I'm not even that big of a fan of theirs tbh

Reactions: Javthusiast

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016

A shame really, he was the best part of GB and Cloth Map is cool but I guess you can't make a travel series during a pandemic.

No idea what he's going to get up to now, I could see him working for Asobo Studios, he loves his flight sims.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Now lets compare that to Easy Allies who also have 8 employees as well, stream for hours per day, produced and edited content, multiple podcasts and generally willing to try new things and listen to fans.

They really do outshine GB and I'm not even that big of a fan of theirs tbh
Likewise. I like Brandon Jones and Huber, but I mainly liked Bossman, sad to see him leave. Met him at E3 a few years ago right before the Gametrailers destruction and he seemed rad. Easy Allies is a site I'll watch for their Edited stuff, but the streaming just always seemed a bit less organized, I think the whole group huddled a single Mic was the worst. I thought they'd get a better situation once they moved to the studio, but last time I watched, like last year some time, it seemed the same. I really like the way they do reviews.

Yeah, the "5 hours for research" is laughable. They can't even get the price of new games. They actually have to google in the middle of recording to get something as basic as that. Also "research" means half read a kotaku article and they try to summarize it, while still getting most of it wrong.... yeah 5 hours.... sure.

Reactions: Evil Calvin

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019

Has there been any news about where he's actually going to be working now? I always thought it was a shame that Drew left Giant Bomb, but then Giant Bomb really went downhill and I was glad he we was doing something interesting apart from them. Now, well, I guess it's tough making ends meet in San Francisco. Hopefully we'll see Drew on some Dan streams in the future.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Has there been any news about where he's actually going to be working now? I always thought it was a shame that Drew left Giant Bomb, but then Giant Bomb really went downhill and I was glad he we was doing something interesting apart from them. Now, well, I guess it's tough making ends meet in San Francisco. Hopefully we'll see Drew on some Dan streams in the future.
The passionate people leaving and the site going downhill are correlated though.

Current Giant Bomb is the video game website version of a depressed person.