• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
Now lets compare that to Easy Allies who also have 8 employees as well, stream for hours per day, produced and edited content, multiple podcasts and generally willing to try new things and listen to fans.

They really do outshine GB and I'm not even that big of a fan of theirs tbh
And they are not even backed up by a huge corporation like cbs.

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
I’d be surprised if they ever go back to the office at this point. I would say Alex is hands down the laziest considering he’s done absolutely nothing new in three months. He is definitely taking the stance that he’s going to play what he wants to play and doesn’t give a shit.

I seriously cannot comprehend how these guys are getting paid full time salaries for doing a few hours worth of work a week. Are the subscription revenues that lucrative? I haven’t watched in weeks since canceling - what are the average numbers they are getting on streams?
I check every day to see if there is any new content. It's almost always: Sims, Truck Simulator, Bloodborne, Maneater, Rock Band and some old retro fighters that Jeff is playing. So much time available and they do NOTHING!!! Not even reviews.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
I check every day to see if there is any new content. It's almost always: Sims, Truck Simulator, Bloodborne, Maneater and some old retro fighters that Jeff is playing. So much time available and they do NOTHING!!! Not even reviews.
Nothing will change as long as the GB simps pay for this. Cause why should the GB crew put in effort if they can easily coast on barely any work.

Reactions: zinkn
Jun 26, 2020
Thats the reason. GB gets their check regardless of quality. So there’s no incentive to work hard, unlike Easy Allies.
I would imagine that an incentive would be getting X amount of subscriptions to the site and engagement. There was like a 1-2 week stretch early on in the year where they'd not-so-casually drop or mention things about it and presumably because it was brought up by CBS.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Recall during their last subscription pleading promotion, I believe that was when they stated they had several "new things" in the works or some such. What did that equate to? A premium podcast and some Minecraft that's not even a feature/show? Am I missing some huge portion of new content they advertised? For as much as they bring up abuse this, shame that, they come across as the wife beating husband promising "don't worry baby, it will be better, I'll change I promise".

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
It wouldn't even be that hard to have varied content. Take Alex's truck streams. Why not play a different trucking game every week? Go dig up obscure trucking games that have come out over the years and see how terrible or good they are. Nope, let's instead play the same exact game every week for months on end.

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
Recall during their last subscription pleading promotion, I believe that was when they stated they had several "new things" in the works or some such. What did that equate to? A premium podcast and some Minecraft that's not even a feature/show? Am I missing some huge portion of new content they advertised? For as much as they bring up abuse this, shame that, they come across as the wife beating husband promising "don't worry baby, it will be better, I'll change I promise".
This is pretty accurate - I feel like a battered spouse when it comes to GB.

But as far as their premium service goes, I think it's an awful value right now. The primary selling point is their catalogue of older shit.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Drew announced the closing of Cloth Map yesterday. It’s going to be a while before he even (if ever) announces what he’s going to do next. Probably get a normal job, or something where he can use his pilots license. I loved hearing about that process when he was still with GB and give a good 15 minute talk on the podcast about the process and what it entailed. He’s not going back into games, so he has no incentive to actually talk to people about what he’ll do.

The overall quality of Giant Bomb right now is so unbelievavly bad, I really have no idea how anyone can justify it. It really has been the bare minimum for the majority of the year. They can’t even muster up to play the piddly amount of new games that are coming out, because they have their “comfort” games and can’t deal with the world around them.
I played Old Gods Rising the other day, made by an ex-BioWare art dev. It’s mostly in the vein of Dear Esther and other narrative exploration games. A small 2 hour game that cost $10 on sale, half off. I really enjoyed it for what it was and was happy to have a new experiance and game to play.
It’s insane Giant Bomb can’t even do that. Just load up a new game and play a new experience. Don’t just do the same thing over and over and over again. Especially when the games they are playing aren’t even interesting. Oh hearing them fawn over a 11 year old game like it’s the newest thing in the world. They should be talking about new games the way they talk about Minecraft. It’s sad that’s the only game they can even talk about with any sort of enthusiasm at this point.

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
Drew announced the closing of Cloth Map yesterday. It’s going to be a while before he even (if ever) announces what he’s going to do next. Probably get a normal job, or something where he can use his pilots license. I loved hearing about that process when he was still with GB and give a good 15 minute talk on the podcast about the process and what it entailed. He’s not going back into games, so he has no incentive to actually talk to people about what he’ll do.

The overall quality of Giant Bomb right now is so unbelievavly bad, I really have no idea how anyone can justify it. It really has been the bare minimum for the majority of the year. They can’t even muster up to play the piddly amount of new games that are coming out, because they have their “comfort” games and can’t deal with the world around them.
I played Old Gods Rising the other day, made by an ex-BioWare art dev. It’s mostly in the vein of Dear Esther and other narrative exploration games. A small 2 hour game that cost $10 on sale, half off. I really enjoyed it for what it was and was happy to have a new experiance and game to play.
It’s insane Giant Bomb can’t even do that. Just load up a new game and play a new experience. Don’t just do the same thing over and over and over again. Especially when the games they are playing aren’t even interesting. Oh hearing them fawn over a 11 year old game like it’s the newest thing in the world. They should be talking about new games the way they talk about Minecraft. It’s sad that’s the only game they can even talk about with any sort of enthusiasm at this point.
You just don't have an appreciation for how rough things are out there. There's so much impacting our society - how do you expect people to focus on trivial things like playing games while they are trying to be a good ally?

Corpses are rotting in the streets from the pandemic, fascist police are assaulting and rounding people up, women are being assaulted publicly at their workplace, our country is held hostage by Russia and we won't have any inhabitable land on this planet in a few years because greenhouses.

frostyxc

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle
frostyxc.tumblr.com
I like Drew, and he seems to be a good guy, but does anyone else get the feeling he used his Patreon (which must have brought in a few hundred thousand dollars) to finance the completion of his pilot's license and gear lust without providing much quality content in return? I remember checking in on Drew's output last year and was surprised to see that he barely put out much content that fit his mission statement and noticed that his Patreon did the dreaded hiding of the number of patrons. When that goes from visible to hidden, it usually signals a drop-off of support... or you've been enslaved in a cult. I think it was brought up in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Look it up.

As for Giant Bomb, I've done a complete separation. I canceled my long-running premium in March due to lack of value (and two incredibly obnoxious members) and then unsubscribed from their podcasts, and stopped watching the one or two videos I still found interesting, after they implied that anyone who doesn't scream about racism on social media was a racist. I mean, I am a huge racist (racing enthusiast), but that's between me and my Runner's World subscription. If I want to hear a bunch of lazy uninformed man-children/women shriek about things they barely understand, I will go to the nearby park and listen to the bevy of homeless. I will go to the homeless for my game info, as well, because they've probably played more and have better hygiene, anyway.

I was going to pull and early Festivus and air grievances about the staff, but this isn't my personal blog. That is too hot for consumption.

Dale-Gribble-

Jan 9, 2015

snipped text
Drew IS staying in the gaming sphere, he says so in his patreon post.

"As for what I’m doing next, stay tuned! I can tell you that it’s games-related (though not games media) and my guess is that when you hear about it, you’ll probably think “ah, that makes sense.” I’m pretty excited about it ;)"

Edit - link to post

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014

"As for what I’m doing next, stay tuned! I can tell you that it’s games-related (though not games media) and my guess is that when you hear about it, you’ll probably think “ah, that makes sense.” I’m pretty excited about it ;)"

Edit - link to post
Ah ok, I mis-read it than. I thought he said it wasn't games related. Thanks for correcting me.

Drew's output was always surprising to me, as I think he may have gotten in over his head a bit, and I really feel like he seemed more of a perfectionist about his content. There needs to be a threshold of where no matter what you think of the video, you just need to finish it up and put it out. It seemed like he wanted to make it as good as possible, which resulted in months of editing something that shouldn't take more than a few days or weeks. I liked his stuff, but I never subscribed to his stuff because I never could trust I'd get my money's worth, and it looks like I was right.

Alot of my issues with patreon is that people use it as an excuse to internet panhandle so other people can fund their hobbies. Why pay out of pocket for your own interests when you can get others do hand over their money to you in the guise of "content"? Let your hobby be your hobby. Not every hobby needs or deserves to be a full time job. I don't mind when a few who are talented enough do it, but it's not a gig that just anyone can do. But again, in this day and age, all you have to do is beg for money, and you'll get enough suckers to part with a bit of their money that they'll fund you to coast for a few years. Hmmm why does this sound familiar?

Last edited:
Reactions: zinkn

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Drew really didn't strike me as the type to try to scam people on Patreon. I'm not surprised if he had a small output though, even at GB he wasn't all that visible tbh, I mean it took ages before he would speak any significant amount on the bombcast. That's not a criticism btw, just that he didn't take up that much space so he's not the person I'd expect to run his own thing.

NicolasVH

Neo Member
Aug 21, 2013
Drew produced very little to be honest. I guess it was mainly easy money. Started off wel and then the lack of content was just abysmal - months of nothing. He stretched out a single visit over multiple YEARS.

I still like him a lot though, but damn, I think the pressure got to him and got in some kinda 'writers block' at some point. People kept paying, started complaining and not much changed. I hope he'll learn from this experience. Cause it wasn't good enough to be frank.

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
Drew produced very little to be honest. I guess it was mainly easy money. Started off wel and then the lack of content was just abysmal - months of nothing. He stretched out a single visit over multiple YEARS.

I still like him a lot though, but damn, I think the pressure got to him and got in some kinda 'writers block' at some point. People kept paying, started complaining and not much changed. I hope he'll learn from this experience. Cause it wasn't good enough to be frank.
It was a pretty big project to manage as 1 person. Select destination, organize contacts, plan flights, film and interview people/places. Return home and compile multiple dozens of hours of footage, edit and record voice overs for each segment while also planning for the next trip.

The idea of Cloth Map is great but to keep pumping out content on a regular basis requires a small team, not just one dude.

I think that realisation happened not long after his first trip. The content he managed to produce is all great however, despite how long it took to put together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dale-Gribble-

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I never thought of Drew as insincere. He always just seemed like a different personality type.
More closed off and reserved, only speaking when he felt like he had something to add.
I really liked Drew, I thought he added a really good dimension to the crew and grounded them just a bit. Once he left, I always felt like there was something special missing from Giant Bomb.
Cloth Map seemed like a great idea, but yeah, the amount of video output never justified the money. It really isn’t THAT hard to plan a trip, shoot footage and edit it, especially when that is your “job”. And don’t have to go to a 9-5, Monday through Friday job as well.
Like I said, I think he got a bit in over his head, and with the amount of money and people he had, he started becoming a perfectionist, and trying to make it the best he could. But that attitude, just like in games with feature creep, made those projects, which should takes a few weeks maybe took sometimes a year. It just can’t be sustained like that.
I was in production when I was younger. I can’t even imagine having a basically unlimited time span to work on a single hour or so long video. I could have been fired for taking more than a week or two if that was the case (depending on what the video was about, of course).

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
They suck at video games. That latest Mass Alex, Alex never uses his squads abilities, never uses cover, has a ridiculous amount of trouble with that reaper fight where all you have to do is move left to right while aiming.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
They suck at video games. That latest Mass Alex, Alex never uses his squads abilities, never uses cover, has a ridiculous amount of trouble with that reaper fight where all you have to do is move left to right while aiming.
I don't have premium any more, but I'm guessing he's playing ME3 on Normal.
My sister, who plays video games like once every three years, breezed through ME3 on that difficulty, because it's a fucking cake walk. No offense to anyone who's bad at games, but you have to be fucking awful at games to find it difficult.

Reactions: TheMadMan007

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I don't have premium any more, but I'm guessing he's playing ME3 on Normal.
My sister, who plays video games like once every three years, breezed through ME3 on that difficulty, because it's a fucking cake walk. No offense to anyone who's bad at games, but you have to be fucking awful at games to find it difficult.
Same, my wife can barely stand watching them play because she says "how can they be having trouble? Its so easy!" She refuses to play on anything other than Hardcore, or whatever the hardest difficulty is for it.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: eot

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
[...] where all you have to do is move left to right while aiming.
So essentially all fps and tps games - think he'd figure it out by now. Bad guys in games will never outsmart those of us that have mastered the side step. Funny though, in the movies folks can't figure how to get out of the way of a speeding car, a giant rolling boulder or a big ol spaceship crashing on planet LV-223. Just hit A or D, man.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Jan 11, 2009
Southern California

Edit - link to post
My guess is something... Microsoft Flight Sim related?

Shinobitron

May 3, 2019
Everytime I see Jeff I see a dude that's just completely given up with his job and his health, and he has kids.... I get that he's probably been through the ringer in the gaming industry but man he has this great company that he could make so much better. Hire better employees, make better content. And his opinions they just sound so blah whatever games, blah like he doesn't give a shit.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Put on the latest Bombcast and like clockwork couldn’t make it past ten minutes or so.

Wanted to hear Jeff’s input about the $70 games, but fucking giant retard slop tits Ben made some loud ass shriek right at the beginning and I shut it off immediately. How in the FUCK does stuff like that NOT get edited out? It’s not funny. It’s not entertaining.

They are just so devoid of any sort of energy or life. And don’t give me “Durrrrr COVID” excuses.

Just pull the fucking plug.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I wonder if they’ll ever actually do a spoilercast like they kept saying they would. I know Brad said “we have to wait till everyone finishes the game”... you’d think basically the biggest game of the entire year, they’d set aside their busy schedule to actually all play a game that they’ll have to talk about.
Jeff flat out said he won’t play it.... how is that even remotely acceptable? Like, I get you only like Minecraft and Call of Duty, but good grief, branch out a little! I don’t really care for the stealth mechanics or the story much in Last of Us either, but I still enjoyed it and found fun and enjoyment in other places of the game. I loved the environment and just looking and exploring the deteriorated places. The atmosphere is what I loved about that game.

People have different tastes, I get that, but I can’t even think of a good reason on why you wouldn’t even try to play one of the only big games to come out, ESPECIALLY when your whole job revolves around talking about major games. It’s just insane.

zinkn

Neo Member
May 15, 2020
I wonder if they’ll ever actually do a spoilercast like they kept saying they would. I know Brad said “we have to wait till everyone finishes the game”... you’d think basically the biggest game of the entire year, they’d set aside their busy schedule to actually all play a game that they’ll have to talk about.
Jeff flat out said he won’t play it.... how is that even remotely acceptable? Like, I get you only like Minecraft and Call of Duty, but good grief, branch out a little! I don’t really care for the stealth mechanics or the story much in Last of Us either, but I still enjoyed it and found fun and enjoyment in other places of the game. I loved the environment and just looking and exploring the deteriorated places. The atmosphere is what I loved about that game.

People have different tastes, I get that, but I can’t even think of a good reason on why you wouldn’t even try to play one of the only big games to come out, ESPECIALLY when your whole job revolves around talking about major games. It’s just insane.
Probably never since Abby never finishes games.

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Their “spoilercast” will suck anyway so who cares.

Gave last weeks Beastcast a shot since the blurb about it mentioned Ryan so I wanted to hear what they had to say. When it got to TLOU2 talk, I swear to fucking christ Vinny started tiptoeing around the fact that the game has a weapon upgrade system for fear of people crying about spoilers. The weapon upgrade system, which was in the previous game from seven years ago, is now considered a fucking spoiler and needs to be checked?

We’re inches away from “I didn’t want to know there was a snow level’!” and “I didn’t want to know you could stomp on Goombas!”

That new millennium spoiler culture, newer gamers and the younger generations are the fucking WORST

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Their “spoilercast” will suck anyway so who cares.

Gave last weeks Beastcast a shot since the blurb about it mentioned Ryan so I wanted to hear what they had to say. When it got to TLOU2 talk, I swear to fucking christ Vinny started tiptoeing around the fact that the game has a weapon upgrade system for fear of people crying about spoilers. The weapon upgrade system, which was in the previous game from seven years ago, is now considered a fucking spoiler and needs to be checked?

We’re inches away from “I didn’t want to know there was a snow level’!” and “I didn’t want to know you could stomp on Goombas!”

Newer gamers and the younger generations are the fucking WORST
Agreed. I just had to stop listening to the beastcast all together sadly. I really like Backalar, but abby is just unbearable. Not only is she unqualified, her attitude towards anything and everything is some of the most spoiled brat, selfish type of personality I've ever seen in my life. Remind me again how they are "playing characters?" yeah, no, that's just who she is. Her attitude and personality is ugly and I don't want to ever want to listen to someone like that. So I just can't listen to half of the major podcast because of a single person.

I think there is a fairly simple way around the whole spoiler culture.

1. If you don't want to be spoiled. Don't Listen. Simple as that. But on the other side, they bomb/beastcast's should at least be able to do a bit of editing/show notes to say "here is where we talk in detail about this new game, skip to minute 32 or skip the next 8 minutes if you want to keep your experience fresh. "

Simple. Purely simple. a pre-recorded drop, added into the podcast at the specific point, that someone marks down is less than 2 minutes of work. I know I edit podcasts and its damn simple.

2. People need to realize that some want to go into an experience as blindly as possible, especially when it's a big and new game that is well regarded. So just being kind and observant about what you say goes a long way. It's really not hard to just filter yourself when you talk and just make sure that you realize not everyone has had the chance to play the game yet.

But again, at the same time, if you are one of those people who want no spoilers, realize there are people who either want to listen to the conversation because they don't care, and won't play the game anyways. Also not everything is a spoiler. Like HotPockets said, saying there is a snow level isn't really a spoiler, but saying "Ellie then gets left alone for a couple chapters and spends her time tracking deer in a snow level, then has to brave a blizzard" could and is a bit of a spoiler. Spoilers are telling specific things or details of a game, sometimes if it's unexpected or a major thing that wasn't in promotional materials leading up to the games release.

For me, I am excited to play Last of Us 2, and want to really just experience it for myself as much as possible. I don't really want to know anything about the game. But I also am not going out of my way to get it, and will probably get around to it maybe late September, so I'll avoid specific talk about it, but if I hear the Bombcast talk about it, I'll probably listen to it, unless they start getting specific, in that case I"d just hit the skip button. I'm not going to go complain about it on line when there is a simple solution to resolve the issue.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: HotPocket69

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Go back and listen to that episode where they talked about MGSV for almost the entirety of the show. It’s one of my all time favorites because of this. They go into heavy detail about it, but nothing outrageous. At one point, Dan is a little iffy about mentioning a thing and Jeff says “Just talk about the game. This is what we do. We talk about videogames.” And then Dan talks about it. No eggshells. Nothing.

What happened to that attitude? You’re telling me spoiler culture has fucked game discussion up the ass that hard within the last five years?

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Go back and listen to that episode where they talked about MGSV for almost the entirety of the show. It’s one of my all time favorites because of this. They go into heavy detail about it, but nothing outrageous. At one point, Dan is a little iffy about mentioning a thing and Jeff says “Just talk about the game. This is what we do. We talk about videogames.” And then Dan talks about it. No eggshells. Nothing.

What happened to that attitude? You’re telling me spoiler culture has fucked game discussion up the ass that hard within the last five years?
Remember when Jeff screamed "SOFT!!!" in GOTY that year or the year after? They have become exactly that. It's this whole stupid cancel culture and having to fear the audience's wrath because no one can deal with anything anymore. Its only in the last couple years where they just can't even talk about games. The last couple weeks, Brad says "Oh man, I don't know if we should even get to this next section, it seems trivial to move on to talk about video games".... Yes, sure, it's WEIRD for a video game podcast to talk about video games. Good grief.

I just spent over 2 hours in the car getting through last weeks bombcast, and I really don't know how a people can go so long without actually saying anything. They just keep circling around subjects without actually even speaking about the subject in any detail. It's always the same handful of stories, same "this sucks, move on" attitude where they say nothing of value. It's really sad that I can load up a podcast by a single person who has never done this before and have a more interesting listening experience,

Reactions: Javthusiast

rkofan87

Aug 27, 2019

this i got deadly premoniton and the walking dead telitale 1 after hearing the goty spoiler talk on them.

h00ters

Jul 17, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Amen. Their spoilercast of Modern Warfare 2 way back in the day was fantastic.

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Amen. Their spoilercast of Modern Warfare 2 way back in the day was fantastic.
The thing is, that MGSV discussion that I mentioned isn’t even a spoilercast. It’s just two hours of an episode talking about it without being concerned about ruining some pussy’s day because they found out you get can get a shotgun that fires rubber bullets.

Last edited:

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
Remember when Jeff screamed "SOFT!!!" in GOTY that year or the year after? They have become exactly that. It's this whole stupid cancel culture and having to fear the audience's wrath because no one can deal with anything anymore.
It makes sense they are so scared. They know their audience well and have been catering to these types of people for years while telling everyone else to take a hike.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ryuji Goda

SamFo

May 13, 2015
What does dynamic mean in terms of gameplay and why does Abby use it to describe everything recently?

Cant wait to watch GiantBomb stream Pajama Sam and other games meant for literal children... just wait it’ll happen.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
What does dynamic mean in terms of gameplay and why does Abby use it to describe everything recently?

Cant wait to watch GiantBomb stream Pajama Sam and other games meant for literal children... just wait it’ll happen.
Abby likes to use big words to make herself seem more intelligent than she is. It's also a way she can say something without actually saying anything.

Shantae

Jul 7, 2019
They are so out of touch with their fans. Well, I guess at this point, I'm not a fan of theirs anymore. They disgust me honestly, but I was just curious...I took a peak at the main page and wanted to see what was on their poor excuse of a schedule for tomorrow.

A fucking Deadly Premonition sequel is out tomorrow, and nothing on the agenda for tomorrow even mentions it. How out of touch, or not give a shit about your fans can you get.

Aug 11, 2019
The thing is, that MGSV discussion that I mentioned isn’t even a spoilercast. It’s just two hours of an episode talking about it without being concerned about ruining some pussy’s day because they found out you get can get a shotgun that fires rubber bullets.

Yup, this is exactly the kind of stuff I miss the most about the bombcast. When those big releases would come out most of if not all of the staff would be deep into the game and have something to bring to the table.