• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the new shirt solid white or more of a beige color? I can't tell. I really want one, but I'm not wearing a white T-shirt something about them bug me.

Curufinwe

Even if he was playing with Japanese voices, text would still have obvious issues.

It probably stands out more in English when the VA have to try and say things like "I doubt something as dangerous as your group could've been pulled off with orthodox methods". It seems pretty obvious whoever translated Sae's lines is not totally fluent in English.

The game is still great, even with these issues. It's far from being abominous.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like when I finally get around to Nier my expectations will be too high and I won't like it

Which is always the danger when you really want to evangelise something.

I dunno, I think I've made it pretty clear which game I found more compelling, but I've been trying to be careful to not do too much of a hard sell. I can't fucking tell anymore though lmao.

Xater

It probably stands out more in English when the VA have to try and say things like "I doubt something as dangerous as your group could've been pulled off with orthodox methods". It seems pretty obvious whoever translated Sae's lines is not totally fluent in English.

The game is still great, even with these issues. It's far from being abominous.

Never said it was. The issues do stick out though because the previous titles did better.

Curufinwe

Of course you never called it abominous. That's not even a word.

Watching the P4 ER for the first time while also playing P5 which is my first Persona.

It's crazy how similar both games are. So many things in common.

When I read the manual and saw there would be another
young detective
I did groan a little. So far (I'm in mid June) I like that character, though. We'll see where he goes....

I think Morgana is different enough from Teddie for that to not feel like it's been done to death. And the fact you carry Morgana around everywhere and people generally ignore this cat in your bag hasn't stopped amusing me yet.

Aaron D.

I am totally that guy re: zeitgeist. Like I actually get stressed about it. Maybe this is why I never finish any games ��

Heh. I'm actually the opposite.

When people start over-evangelizing this season's most popular release, it actually turns me off.

Well, not always. It's more like when people start getting all pushy about it, or aggressively oversensitive to any critique and criticisms of said game.

In recent memory, the rabid fanbases for Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Nier have completely turned me off to these titles.

Zaph

I wonder if Alex is playing Persona 5 with English or Japanese voices.
As he's talking about localisation issues, I assume he's playing in English.

It's funny - when I was around the same area as Alex (second/third dungeon) I also didn't think the translation was that bad. But now I'm late game - no, that shit adds it. It's death by a thousand cuts. Stuff is going down and the game is asking me care about characters who are speaking gibberish at times.

I'm still really enjoying the game, but honestly, if someone was in no rush to play it, I'd say maybe wait a couple years for a Golden equivalent and hope a different translation team gets to give it a second pass.

dan2026

It's funny - when I was around the same area as Alex (second/third dungeon) I also didn't think the translation was that bad. But now I'm late game - no, that shit adds it. It's death by a thousand cuts. Stuff is going down and the game is asking me care about characters who are speaking gibberish at times.

I'm still really enjoying the game, but honestly, if someone was in no rush to play it, I'd say maybe wait a couple years for a Golden equivalent and hope a different translation team gets to give it a second pass.

To be honest with you I have played 99% of the game in Japanese and not noticed any dodgy dialogue in the text. Well maybe a little.

One thing I did notice though is there is one cutscene where they just forgot to add subtitles for half the dialogue.

Really sloppy stuff.

It honestly feels like the localisation might of been rushed. Which is insane considering we had to wait 6 months after the Japanese release.

Xater

To be honest with you I have played 99% of the game in Japanese and not noticed any dodgy dialogue in the text. Well maybe a little.

One thing I did notice though is there is one cutscene where they just forgot to add subtitles for half the dialogue.

Really sloppy stuff.

It honestly feels like the localisation might of been rushed. Which is insane considering we had to wait 6 months after the Japanese release.

Really, you have not noticed anything? I am not even a native English speaker and noticed quite a bit in my 30 hours so far. Even grammatical errors.

Hindl

Which is always the danger when you really want to evangelise something.

I dunno, I think I've made it pretty clear which game I found more compelling, but I've been trying to be careful to not do too much of a hard sell. I can't fucking tell anymore though lmao.

Yeah I try to walk that line too when I evangelize about BotW. I'm sure I'll enjoy it because it seems intriguing and I love Platinum Games...games. But I'm just worried that people seem to not be too hot on the combat, and the kinda empty open world. I'm almost definitely going to skip most sidequests too and people talk about some of the good stuff being there too

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I just completed the part of Nier that they played in the QL (+some sidequests and the next little story part). I'm curious how much there is left in this playthrough. Somebody told me I'm about 50% through, is that right?

Also I really have to question all you people saying the soundtrack is amazing cause so far I haven't heard anything special.

Xater

Yeah I try to walk that line too when I evangelize about BotW. I'm sure I'll enjoy it because it seems intriguing and I love Platinum Games...games. But I'm just worried that people seem to not be too hot on the combat, and the kinda empty open world. I'm almost definitely going to skip most sidequests too and people talk about some of the good stuff being there too

Let me tell you about the combat: I didn't think it was that great in the first playthrough, but then enemies became more challenging, they introduced some new stuff and I ended up liking the combat way more. It's not as good as in Bayonetta mind, but for an action RPG it's quite good.

dan2026

Really, you have not noticed anything? I am not even a native English speaker and noticed quite a bit in my 30 hours so far. Even grammatical errors.
Honestly no. But I am listening to the Japanese audio and skimming through the text. I imagine my mind fills in the blanks.

My Japanese understanding is limited. But I do notice where the text doesn't match the spoken Japanese.

Like I say it sounds to me like the localisation was a rush job. Might explain some of the dubs problems as well. Although why the pronunciation of Japanese names is so fucked in the dub I don't know. Some amateur hour stuff.

jiggles

Banned
Heh. I'm actually the opposite.

When people start over-evangelizing this season's most popular release, it actually turns me off.

Well, not always. It's more like when people start getting all pushy about it, or aggressively oversensitive to any critique and criticisms of said game.

In recent memory, the rabid fanbases for Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Nier have completely turned me off to these titles.

Nobody likes a hard sell, but you shouldn't let other people's excitement put you off anything. Nobody's trying to trick you into feeling obligated to say a bad game is good. Often times, they just had a really meaningful experience that they hope you will have too. Yes, they'll amplify their excitement in expressing that, but that's really just because they're a complete stranger suggesting you commit to some 40+ hour endeavour, and might feel saying something as plain as "I really liked this and you might too" is much too blasé to even be taken into consideration.

Just filter anonymous opinions down a few gears, rather than dismissing something because it has some obnoxious fans.

Wunder

Honestly no. But I am listening to the Japanese audio and skimming through the text. I imagine my mind fills in the blanks.

My Japanese understanding is limited. But I do notice where the text doesn't match the spoken Japanese.

Like I say it sounds to me like the localisation was a rush job. Might explain some of the dubs problems as well. Although why the pronunciation of Japanese names is so fucked in the dub I don't know. Some amateur hour stuff.

they delayed it for more localization tho

Antiwhippy

Everyone should just hire 8-4 really.

They did phenomenal work with nier.

I just completed the part of Nier that they played in the QL (+some sidequests and the next little story part). I'm curious how much there is left in this playthrough. Somebody told me I'm about 50% through, is that right?

Also I really have to question all you people saying the soundtrack is amazing cause so far I haven't heard anything special.

You're nowhere near 50%.

Also I think the music in the amusement park and the boss is pretty good, but while everyone seems to love it I usually feel it's good but kinda overwrought? When I listen to the OST I usually just listen to the latter parts.

"You damn brats who think you know the world through the shit you read online will make perfect prey."

This type of awkward dialogue shows up every now and then in Persona 5.

I know what the character is trying to say but can also recognize that people don't talk like that.

Otherwise the game is fantastic

Hindl

Yeah I've noticed the weird localization, mostly with Sae, but whatever I can overlook it. The rest of the game is enjoyable enough to make up for it. Also reagarding a confidant you get a little after the first dungeon
At first I thought it was funny and cool with the whole Kawakami maid thing and then her finding you out, and I thought the story would be cool. But all the "Master" stuff and her being in character a lot is kinda weird and uncomfortable

Aaron D.

Just filter anonymous opinions down a few gears, rather than dismissing something because it has some obnoxious fans.

That's fair.

At the end of the day, no fanbase is going to turn me away from a title I'm genuinely interested in. It just gets a little more dicey when I'm on the fence. Those times a communities' temperament can have a real impact on coloring the game in my mind.

Perhaps it's shallow or whatever, but it is what it is. I don't even have time to play all the games I'd like to as it is, so it's not difficult to scratch something I'm vaguely interested in off my mental list due to minor infractions like a surly, insufferable fan base.

Yeah I've noticed the weird localization, mostly with Sae, but whatever I can overlook it. The rest of the game is enjoyable enough to make up for it. Also reagarding a confidant you get a little after the first dungeon
At first I thought it was funny and cool with the whole Kawakami maid thing and then her finding you out, and I thought the story would be cool. But all the "Master" stuff and her being in character a lot is kinda weird and uncomfortable

That's after the second dungeon actually. Unless it's dependent on something else.

Curufinwe

Also reagarding a confidant you get a little after the first dungeon

She's just obediently cleaning up his sloppy messes. Nothing wrong with that.

Nah, it is pretty weird. Even more so than the Devil nurse in P4. I would love to have seen Jeff and Vinny's reaction cause they were all about Sayoko Uehara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ebnqpsIi60

Hindl

That's after the second dungeon actually. Unless it's dependent on something else.

Ah my bad

Nah, it is pretty weird. Even more so than the Devil nurse in P4. I would love to have seen Jeff and Vinny's reaction cause they were all about Sayoko Uehara.

I feel like they'd be along a similar path with me, starting with "Fuck yeah this is awesome!" to "Ehh this is kinda weird".

The ending to that confidant story is offensively stupid imo. People give Bioware shit for jerking off the player with all that OMG PATHFINDER shit but P5 is at least as bad in that regard if not worse. I guess that's not new to Persona but that doesn't mean it's good.

Antiwhippy

It gets awesome, weird, actually kinda tragic, weird, and then you shrug your shoulders and go with it.

Still best girl/.

Hindl

The ending to that confidant story is offensively stupid imo. People give Bioware shit for jerking off the player with all that OMG PATHFINDER shit but P5 is at least as bad in that regard if not worse. I guess that's not new to Persona but that doesn't mean it's good.

Wait what? Are you talking about Persona 4? I just got to the fourth dungeon, but at the beginning of the game everyone takes giant shits on the main character. And even at 35 hours in I still get people shitting on me occasionally. Once you actually start doing shit that's worthy of praise they give it to you, but you earn it.

it got a lot better after the first 10 hours for some reason. seems like that might be the part you'd want to polish.

but yeah it's super literal in places where it really shouldn't be. I'm actually mildly relieved now when I see them do actual localization in a scene rather than just clumsy translation.

Antiwhippy

Honestly, one of my biggest gripes about the phantom thieves concept is that it makes catharsis feel... cheap.

Like in Persona 3, the one thing I always enjoyed about it is that it is pretty good at showcasing the development of a character crescendoing to a catharsis. 4 is slightly worse at this but it still creates those moments.

(no major spoilers, just the general conceptual spoilers I guess.)

In persona 5 you really don't get any of that. You see them being a shitty person. You steal their hearts. It gives no time for personal self-reflection. And then it goes into a melodramatic confession that does not feel.. earned.

Even for the persona awakening they don't give it enough time to breath. Only makoto's feels satisfactory due to the leadup.

I feel like when I finally get around to Nier my expectations will be too high and I won't like it
Probably. To be honest I came into Automata hearing about Yoko Taro and thinking he'd be some, I dunno, Kaufman, Tarantino, Kojima-esque developer. Y'know, the kind of guy where everything has you questioning if any mundane thing was done as some kind of subversion of something else or whatever. Oh that Taro! What a card! You'd say, as the game would be doing one thing after another that showed his touching hand in the process.

As it turns out (from having only played Automata), no, not really. In truth, I didn't get any major sense of auteurship from the game. Just go into it expecting a pretty mechanically-simple JRPG that animes-out at points and you should be fine.

Antiwhippy

Probably. To be honest I came into Automata hearing about Yoko Taro and thinking he'd be some, I dunno, Kaufman, Tarantino, Kojima-esque developer. Y'know, the kind of guy where everything has you questioning if any mundane thing was done as some kind of subversion of something else or whatever. Oh that Taro! What a card! You'd say, as the game would be doing one thing after another that showed his touching hand in the process.

As it turns out (from having only played Automata), no, not really. In truth, I didn't get any major sense of auteurship from the game. Just go into it expecting a pretty mechanically-simple JRPG that animes-out at points and you should be fine.

Eh, as someone who likes the drakengard games and while having not played original nier but read up on quite a bit of it, taro's fingerprint is all over automata.

Also I feel like you're missing a lot of subtext but whatever. IF you want to talk about I'll happily talk about it in the spoiler thread but I don't want to deluge this thread about it.

Hindl

Honestly, one of my biggest gripes about the phantom thieves concept is that it makes catharsis feel... cheap.

Like in Persona 3, the one thing I always enjoyed about it is that it is pretty good at showcasing the development of a character crescendoing to a catharsis. 4 is slightly worse at this but it still creates those moments.

(no major spoilers, just the general conceptual spoilers I guess.)

In persona 5 you really don't get any of that. You see them being a shitty person. You steal their hearts. It gives no time for personal self-reflection. And then it goes into a melodramatic confession that does not feel.. earned.

Even for the persona awakening they don't give it enough time to breath. Only makoto's feels satisfactory due to the leadup.

Yeah true. It just kinda happens. I actually remember throwing out that persona criticism early in my playthrough how it was just weird it happens. As for the rest of it, I think it would've been cool if
somehow if you stole the heart really in advance of the deadline, then you would see their slow confession over the remaining days.
Programming that would probably be a nightmare though and you'd still have the issue for players that wait till the last second

Eh, as someone who likes the drakengard games and while having not played original nier but read up on quite a bit of it, taro's fingerprint is all over automata.

Also I feel like you're missing a lot of subtext but whatever. IF you want to talk about I'll happily talk about it in the spoiler thread but I don't want to deluge this thread about it.
yeah ymmv and all, i know of some of his traditions that come through here, but on the whole as a first time experience it's, y'know, alright. it doesn't need being put on a pedestal, and i don't think it needs the defense of "missing a lot of subtext", because some things can be drawing blood from a stone, some can just be a matter of execution, or maybe it's not either, but in reality you shouldn't go into automata expecting something transcendental and i think you'll come out of it alright.

Wait what? Are you talking about Persona 4? I just got to the fourth dungeon, but at the beginning of the game everyone takes giant shits on the main character. And even at 35 hours in I still get people shitting on me occasionally. Once you actually start doing shit that's worthy of praise they give it to you, but you earn it.

No, P5. Yeah randos give you shit but no one close to you ever does except Sojiro, and every single female character you ever meet falls in love with you while you do fuck-all except stand there and listen to them, no matter how inappropriate the relationship may be. I get that it's a trope. I just think it's a shitty trope and I have no interest in that kind of pandering shit.

Antiwhippy

yeah ymmv and all, i know of some of his traditions that come through here, but on the whole as a first time experience it's, y'know, alright. it doesn't need being put on a pedestal, and i don't think it needs the defense of "missing a lot of subtext", because some things can be drawing blood from a stone, some can just be a matter of execution, or maybe it's not either, but in reality you shouldn't go into automata expecting something transcendental and i think you'll come out of it alright.

Fair enough, but yeah, just go in with normal expectations (if at all possible really) and then make your own judgements from there on. I went in expecting batshit crazy because that's what the drakengard games are, but came out with a lot more than that, but not everyone is going to feel the same and I can respect that.

I dunno about drawing blood from the stone though, a lot of his games feels designed to specifically lead you down a rabbit hole, which is part of the fun in a way. Like it's weirdly one of my favourite love stories in games but you won't get that shit until you do a dive AFTER the complete playthrough.

I'm finally starting to get a little invested in Persona 5's story and characters (only took it 30 hours lol) but Automata is just calling to me. It sounds 10,000% up my alley.

Gonna smoke some Die Hard Arcade listening to this Beastcast
where is the president's daughter

the thing about automata is that if i had to go amateur game reviewer about it my score of it would be a 3/5 because i can't help but see some glaring shortcomings, but i liked it a lot more than a score like that would imply. i'd say coming out of automata what it made me want to do most is go back and play the first nier -- which i intend to do after i give myself some distance so as to not oversaturate myself, and i think that's a pretty high praise for a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom