• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is there any reason not to just hold down shoot at all times, and just watch your character and focus on surviving?

Actually in that case mindlessly shooting actually makes it harder because
shooting their bullets spawns more bullets.

Vkn1NZ2.gif

yoooooo the monitor was getting wild during upf

edit: oh wow, I paused right as they mentioned it lol

i now also know what daggering is
Fantastic.

Antiwhippy

I mean it's more about the way he went about describing it that interested me also. It's about time we moved beyond "can android's be human" trope when it comes to that sort of sci fi.

I had no real interest in the sequel because I thought there's no way anyone can do a sequel to BR but it seems like the new one is going to do some interesting stuff.

Antiwhippy

World 3 seems kinda easy so far after grim matchstick.

Thanks for the tip on roundabout piston. I didn't use it to beat grim but it's pretty fantastic for the bosses in world 3 so far.

swimbuff

Stardew Valley on Switch. What the fuck guys, this thing should be illegal. Since I got that game on release day I’ve disappeared into a hole the size of a 3x5 farm plot. I stayed up all Friday night playing it and am now considering skipping a party Saturday night because all I want to do is play this game. Who has time for human interaction when I’ve got crops to tend, cows to milk, gems to mine, fish to er.. fish, and Emily to marry by the end of fall.

Don’t get Stardew Valley on the Switch. It will ruin your life.

This game is fantastic and the Switch is the perfect platform for it.

I can relate to the phone call early on in the playdate. It's just like that time I clicked on the link to the Deus Ex 1 website on the CD ROM about a decade too late.

hamchan

Blade Runner 2049 was dope.

tumblr_n5acmrpjYB1tbqxcro2_r1_500.gif

Yeah it was rad. Really beautiful film and a worthy sequel to Blade Runner.

Denis Villeneuve was the perfect director for it. Seen four of his movies and they've all been outstanding. His films hit the same slow pacing as the original and I'm glad for it.

Harpuia

I'm the youngest guy at my office. I'm regularly told to keep my dabbing in check. Usually a quick pickle rick is more than enough to keep them off my backs..

I'm the youngest guy at my office. I'm regularly told to keep my dabbing in check. Usually a quick pickle rick is more than enough to keep them off my backs..

i just started a new job where I'm the youngest guy as well. everyone else is a regular Vinny (has children)

e: wtf this UPF is incredible... they are all so happy and excited and upbeat.

I tried getting into Divinity OS 2 but they really don't have a good on-ramp for people new to the genre. I played the first game a bit (maybe 10 hours) and I was still hella confused. I know this is heresy to CRPG fans but I hate when games ask you to choose all kinds of character build details right away without even knowing what it all means. It feels like you have to do a lot of work before it can become fun, and I'm not really about it. It's just not my kind of game, but I definitely think they could have eased players in a LOT better than they did (or didn't, as it turns out). Hm, actually, I don't think it's not my kind of game so much as I think it could be, but Divinity isn't it. I like how the combat works, but everything around it is just not doing it for me. Like it's hard enough as it is but then they also start you off in a situation where it's very easy to make a bunch of wrong choices, or to miss important items. It just feels hostile to the uninitiated.

imBask

Banned
I tried getting into Divinity OS 2 but they really don't have a good on-ramp for people new to the genre. I played the first game a bit (maybe 10 hours) and I was still hella confused. I know this is heresy to CRPG fans but I hate when games ask you to choose all kinds of character build details right away without even knowing what it all means. It feels like you have to do a lot of work before it can become fun, and I'm not really about it. It's just not my kind of game, but I definitely think they could have eased players in a LOT better than they did (or didn't, as it turns out). Hm, actually, I don't think it's not my kind of game so much as I think it could be, but Divinity isn't it. I like how the combat works, but everything around it is just not doing it for me. Like it's hard enough as it is but then they also start you off in a situation where it's very easy to make a bunch of wrong choices, or to miss important items. It just feels hostile to the uninitiated.

100%

I just restarted 7h in and a friend helped me, and now I feel like I have the slightess grasp on what i'm doing. I described it as : CRPG's expect you to have 20 years of Baldur's Gate behind you and that's a little annoying

also one of my issue is that I plow through everything on easy like a rich person playing Shadow of War, yet I lose 2-3 people every fight on normal... I wish there was a middle ground there

Meguro

Banned

I had the exact same experience. I've now put Divinty OS 2 on the backburner because of it.
Maybe the Enhanced Edition will make it better for CRPG newbies such as myself.

Xater

Are you sure those aren't perceived wrong choices? You can kinda make this game work with whatever. There are also no important items to miss, quests might have multiple solutions, and it's also fine to fail a quest line.

If you are so worried about your tem composition stick to what is traditional. Get two people for close combat and two for ranged. The close combat people can be a warrior and a rogue. That covers resist and damage output. Then get some kind of mage and a ranger. Two mages are also fine if they have different specialties.

Oh and if you are afraid of getting skills in the first Act you might not like after all, it's doesn't matter. You can completely reskill everyone after the first act is over.

I had the exact same experience. I've now put Divinty OS 2 on the backburner because of it.
Maybe the Enhanced Edition will make it better for CRPG newbies such as myself.

The enhanced edition of the first game only existed because of the console port. This time everything they did for that version is already in from the beginning.

BTA

those Overwatch skins are cool but I also don't like any of them enough to go out of my way to get them

just give me McCree

because it's sentai!

Not really though! His helmet's more like a Rider's (...face? I guess they don't usually take them off as in Sentai), he has the scarf, he has a belt, etc. Overall it looks much more like a Rider costume than a Sentai one.

Now, if they give other characters the same costume in other colors, then sure.

This is my feeling on a lot of RPGs. Even ones that explain the stats sometimes do a bad job of explaining which I should actually care about or should actually care about upgrading. Especially since there's always games where, for example, upgrading health or something is a literal waste of points compared to getting defense, etc. depending on how the formulas shake out. It's annoying and somewhat anxiety-inducing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
100%

I just restarted 7h in and a friend helped me, and now I feel like I have the slightess grasp on what i'm doing. I described it as : CRPG's expect you to have 20 years of Baldur's Gate behind you and that's a little annoying

That never really goes away. Rorie says he restarted twice in the Quick Look. I've been playing games like this for twenty years and still spend an hour making a character, play for an hour or two, then restart and try again with something new. Maybe multiple times to get a feel for the combat if it's different enough.

Just started the DOS2 QL, annnd I think Rorie's got the totally wrong idea on what DOS2 is offering. It's not that you can't do everything, it's that you can do anything. It's not an either-or like Mass Effect or the Witcher, where you're locking off other paths, but moreso that all paths are open to you at all times, should you have the ability to walk them.

Like, you know how, in Skyrim, one of its selling points was that you can kill any NPC and thanks to the Radiant AI system it won't change anything? Well, Divinity: Original Sin 1 (and, to a much greater extent, 2) solved that and will let you kill practically anyone and pay the price (or reap the rewards) of such an action, without breaking the game. It can be pretty janky but it works.

Maybe they clear that up later but it's been bugging me more than the "DOS2 is on consoles" info (which is wrong; it's PC only currently).

oti

Banned
I trust y'all that Devinity 2 is a good game. But the QL makes it seem kinda boring. Like the Horizon QL I guess. Seems like a super difficult game to show off.

Top Bottom