• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Phil Spencer Interview: Clarifications Regarding Scorpio and Xbox One S

• Games will look different on 1080p screen, full benefit and image fidelity can only be reaped with a 4KTV for 4K games but it's still a viable purchase for 1080p owners

So now it's a viable purchase for 1080p owners. Interesting, to say at least.

And obligatory:

phil22pkz5.png

was much easier to gather those treads than I thought it would be...

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
This interview was the most enjoyable thing to watch (besides new game reveals) for the entire E3. I highly suggest everyone watch it. It's very informative.

gamz

I think of Scorpio as a 4K and VR box. Yes, you won't be able to play VR games on it just as you wouldn't get 4K on an Xbox One (S). As long as they say that, then I think they are fine. It's more about the capabilities of the box than an exclusive. But I do see the rationale that it is exclusive because the other boxes can't handle it so they can't play it. So yea, I think the reason that they aren't talking about it is because they don't know how to handle the messaging and from the interview they haven't laid out plans on how to accomplish such things.

Or the messaging is obvious. If VR is on one system and not the other.

GavinGT

Banned
If a VR game is available on other platforms its not a Scorpio exclusive

"No Scorpio exclusives" in my original post was referring to there not being games on Scorpio that don't run on an Xbox One. I thought that was obvious because that's a huge part of the discussion here.

He said first party games. If EA decides to only put Battlefield 7 on the ps5 and scorpio then he can't stop that

Mh I guess yeah. Probably fits with them not doing any VR stuff themselves whatsoever.
Though i think when people hear "not being left behind" they don't think only MS published games.

I guess the most likely thing happening is a new xbox 2-3 years after the scorpio and games then release for scorpio and the next one, repeat etc thus still pushing games tech further.

SOR5

"No Scorpio exclusives" in my original post was referring to there not being games on Scorpio that don't run on an Xbox One. I thought that was obvious because that's a huge part of the discussion here.

I dunno man I was just trying to translate that poster :p

Theorry

Wow that whole interview is great to watch. Very honest in things like UWP. Like releases that went bad instead of trying to spin it. Talking about VR and the future also. Very good to watch.

• No Scorpio exclusives
  • Games will look different on 1080p screen, full benefit and image fidelity can only be reaped with a 4KTV for 4K games but it's still a viable purchase for 1080p owners

What does this even mean?

The way i read it, it means with 1080p output, you will restricted to "Xbox One" like mode....

Badoink

Banned
Scorpio is going to be running the 6 teraflop version of a game, and that version of a game, even when downsampled to HD will look different than the game running at 1080p.

Scorpio can't do native 1080p confirmed. I, for one, am even more confused now.

What is GAF thinking about the real feasibility of 4K on Scorpio? Seems underpowered for 4K to me.

We will have to know more about the hardware but I think at least its doable with current gen asset and effects quality.

So many unknows though.

What is the CPU like? Will it take better advantage of SSD speeds?

Theorry

But it's not that simple.

Will the Xbox One S emulate HDR for games where it's not coded in, similar to how it will upscale to 4K?

Or will it only provide HDR when it's coded into the game itself (via patch or if it's a new release)?

I think its new releases. He was talking about HDR for Forza Horizon, Scalebound and another game. Cant remember.

GavinGT

Banned

The way i read it, it means with 1080p output, you will restricted to "Xbox One" like mode....

You're misinterpreting it. If devs choose to go native 4k resolution, then you won't see all the benefits of the Scorpio if you're still on a 1080p screen (at least for those games). But it's up to the devs. So if they want to go native 1080p, they can. And going 1080p would free up plenty of horsepower to improve the visuals in other ways, which would be apparent on a 1080p screen.

Outrun

• No Scorpio exclusives
  • Devs can do 4K, dont have to do 4K, can use power in different ways
  • Previous games may see improvement such as dynamic resolution games staying 1080p
  • Announcement made for the purpose of transparency, consumers can make an educated purchase if they want to buy the lower range but cheaper Xbox One S or the premium and more powerful Scorpio, developers can work out how they want to adapt the hardware
  • Xbox One S will not play games better than the Xbox One
Discuss to your hearts content, and apologies for yet another Spencer GAF thread, this is probably the most clear and precise interview right now.

Link to specific segment here
Entire interview available here, good watch (begins at 30 mins)

Thank you for that.

I sure as hell hope that the confusion line stops....

theWB27

I don't understand either of these two sentences.

If Scorpio gets a vr game that releases on another headset then it isn't exclusive. There wasn't anything contradictory. Plus...he stated first party won't do exclusive. They aren't forcing that on 3rd party.

If Scorpio gets a vr game that releases on another headset then it isn't exclusive. There wasn't anything contradictory. Plus...he stated first party won't do exclusive. They aren't forcing that on 3rd party.
Yep. They have zero control over what 3rd party does. 1st party titles will work across all Xbox One iterations and PC.

If a 3rd party makes a game that only can run on Scorpio/Neo, then that's out of their hands.

But I don't see 3rd party companies doing this, at least initially, as those with Scorpio/Neo will be a much smaller number than the current install base of Xbone/PS4.

Edit: Ignore this post haha. Corrected below

Ripenen

The only thing about this announcement that has been crystal clear is the 6 teraflops. They've not wavered on that bullet point one bit.

GavinGT

Banned

Again, "no Scorpio exclusives" isn't referring to other VR headsets. It's in the context of there being no Scorpio games that can't run on an Xbox One.

And nowhere in that interview did he say that third parties could do Scorpio exclusives. Another MS person said that a couple days ago and then promptly corrected herself.

HokieJoe

Can't watch video here, so I'll ask:

Did he elaborate on the HDR functionality for games on Xbox One S?

That's cool I guess.

The One S will do HDR. The Xbox One won't do HDR. That is the only difference. Talk of increased framerate for games was a misstatement on Fergusson's part.

Xater

Yep. They have zero control over what 3rd party does. 1st party titles will work across all Xbox One iterations and PC.

If a 3rd party makes a game that only can run on Scorpio/Neo, then that's out of their hands.

But I don't see 3rd party companies doing this, at least initially, as those with Scorpio/Neo will be a much smaller number than the current install base of Xbone/PS4.

That is incorrect. A game must work on an Xbox One. This is the Xbox One line and it has to work on every machine. No exclusive games for Scorpio or Neo because that is a mandate. VR titles would probably be the only exception on Scorpio.

That is incorrect. A game must work on an Xbox One. This is the Xbox One line and it has to work on every machine. No exclusive games for Scorpio or Neo because that is a mandate. VR titles would probably be the only exception on Scorpio.
I stand corrected. Thanks!!

Xater

Well, that was obvious of course...

I would have liked to know what happens when I send a 4K/30 game on a 1080p HDTV

It will be downsampled. That's what he said. It will look somewhat better than a normal 1080p title because of that but won't be a significant upgrade.

GavinGT

Banned
It will be downsampled. That's what he said. It will look somewhat better than a normal 1080p title because of that but won't be a significant upgrade.

And if there's any power left over after the resolution bump, it can be applied to other aspects of the visuals.

Freeman

Banned

I guarantee there will be third party exclusives if that is an option(even if just a few). No good for the original Xbox One. They should just make it a rule that to release on the Xbox Scorpio you need to release on Xbox One.

What is GAF thinking about the real feasibility of 4K on Scorpio? Seems underpowered for 4K to me.

Supposeably Team Xbox asked some developers, like Todd H who created Fallout 4, and asked what they needed to achieve high fidelity 4k and VR. I also imagine they asked all of their 1st party games too. Keep in mind,they will all most likely shift their 1st party studio engines to Dynamic stuff so it can look better on whatever they release after Scorpio.

I imagine more spec related details will be announced when they fully unviel Project Scorpio.

Who knows, this might just be a baseline of what they want to achieve but when they release it, it will be clocked higher. A lot of spec related information is still needed to really determine the capabilities. However, it's being downplayed a lot already, which i dont understand.

The One S will do HDR. The Xbox One won't do HDR. That is the only difference. Talk of increased framerate for games was a misstatement on Fergusson's part.

Yeah I know, but:

But it's not that simple.

Will the Xbox One S emulate HDR for games where it's not coded in, similar to how it will upscale to 4K?

Or will it only provide HDR when it's coded into the game itself (via patch or if it's a new release)?

I think its new releases. He was talking about HDR for Forza Horizon, Scalebound and another game. Cant remember.

Thanks! That makes sense; though some TV's can emulate HDR, it probably won't give a desirable result for games when it's not deliberately coded in.

It could make bright/dark areas hard to navigate, for instance.

Devildoll

• No Scorpio exclusives

probably similar to plugging your xbox one into a 720/480p tv, gonna look as good as it can, but the lack of pixels means detail will get lost.

But that's my point, there could/should be a significant upgrade in performances and graphics fidelity because of the BIG specs difference even at 1080p.

Xater

But that's my point, there could/should be a significant upgrade in performances and graphics fidelity because of the BIG specs difference even at 1080p.

Not if you are downsampling. Downsampling means the console still renders internally at 4K and then just spits out a 1080p image of that.

Hazanko

Banned
I don't like this, most devs will choose 4K 30 fps, over 1080p60.

Pretty much and that's why it not interesting me. To me better graphics is having 60fps, better textures and draw distance instead of just increasing the resolution. 1080p looks good enough to me personally.

Zaph

Supposeably Team Xbox asked some developers, like Todd H who created Fallout 4, and asked what they needed to achieve high fidelity 4k and VR. I also imagine they asked all of their 1st party games too. Keep in mind,they will all most likely shift their 1st party studio engines to Dynamic stuff so it can look better on whatever they release after Scorpio.

if there was ever a voice I trusted about performance...

GavinGT

Banned
I think the whole 4k push from MS is their way of throwing a bone to developers. They're basically saying, "Hey, you don't have to develop two radically different versions of your games if you don't want to. Just change the resolution and you're good".

theWB27

Again, "no Scorpio exclusives" isn't referring to other VR headsets. It's in the context of there being no Scorpio games that can't run on an Xbox One.

And nowhere in that interview did he say that third parties could do Scorpio exclusives. Another MS person said that a couple days ago and then promptly corrected herself.

You're still making this harder than it is.

It's a given the base Xbox won't do vr. He still isn't being contradictory with the "exclusive" word because those VR games that don't release on the base xbox would most likely still release on other headsets. Thus...it isn't exclusive.

Fliesen

I think the whole 4k push from MS is their way of throwing a bone to developers. They're basically saying, "Hey, you don't have to develop two radically different versions of your games if you don't want to. Just change the resolution and you're good".

yeah, i imagine optimizing for a higher resolution by tweaking asset quality is a lot easier than optimizing for a higher frame rate.

There will not be a true next gen, you are in the infinite generation

hence the "beyond generations" part of their presser

yeah, but you can't believe that there won't ever be a game that doesn't run on the original Xbox One.

So, eventually, there will be Scorpio exclusives.
Also, you think Microsoft would do big hardware releases that carry the message "HERE'S YOUR AWESOME MONSTER OF A 6 TFLOPS MACHINE - ... also, everything you see, you can also play on your weaker console, just at a lower resolution"
There will be generational exclusives. Maybe not at the Scorpio launch, but at the Scorpio+1 launch.

You need system sellers to ... sell systems.

Theorry

The best thing about the whole interview is. Phil wearing a Quantum Break shirt and giving little pokes to Jeff about his review haha.

Top Bottom