• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread The Third: #TeamBrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patrick keeps saying that this is the year of the downloadable game, so I wouldn't be surprised if their GOTY top 10 list has a good amount of downloadable stuff. Off the top of my head, I remember that they pretty much all really liked Journey, they've been showering praise recently on Mark of the Ninja and everyone seemed to be blown away by Fez apart from Ryan.

I'm really looking forward to the deliberations this year since there's no clear front runners yet. Obviously, stuff like Halo 4, Dishonored and ACIII haven't come out yet, but, outside of maybe Halo 4, I don't think any of those seem like sure locks for front runners. Of course, I'm just speculating at this point.

DaBuddaDa

...open question to the thread: For GOTY (or any other award) debates should post release patches, content, etc factor in, or should they be considering the game as it was at launch? Diablo 3 has me thinking about this as say what you will about that game at launch, it's come a looooooong way. It's probably still short of what it should have been, but it's a considerably better game now then it was at launch. I'm curious if that should be taken into consideration or not.

What is taken into consideration for their GOTY is the experience of what they played, when they played it; nothing more, nothing less. If a nobody played post-Diablo 3 launch patches, then the patches are not factored.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sleeping dogs should totally be part of consideration.

Still though, I don't really care about what they think is GOTY. I just like to hear them argue for hours. :p

I couldn't pick a GOTY if you did the Jeff's Adventure Game Cigarette Test on me. Journey, I guess? I've spent so much time this year playing old games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I never listen to the GOTY podcasts.
The only GOTY related thing that I honestly care about is the personal ones.

Power of Illusion should be GOTY for someone.

Also I'm surprised that it's only in October of the Year of Our Lord Two-Thousand and Twelve that Brad finally learned that he has a joking reputation for giving games high scores.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Though seriously, they really need a copy-editor for patrick. Looking out for typos is already a tradition in the comments.

DaBuddaDa

Marino did that ridiculous review analysis back in June. According to that Brad gives 5 stars 20.8% of the time (it's probably higher now than it was then). To compare, Jeff gave 13.6% 5 stars, Ryan 9.6%, Alex 12.8% and Patrick a fat 0.0%.

I think this means Brad is winning. He deserves RE6.

SerRodrik

I couldn't pick a GOTY if you did the Jeff's Adventure Game Cigarette Test on me. Journey, I guess? I've spent so much time this year playing old games.

Yeah, same here, I've spent a lot of 2012 working through my back catalog. I'm pretty sure I only played five or six new ones. I don't know if it's the fact that a lot of the games coming out this year seem underwhelming, or because I have so little money to spend on games now. Probably both.

Riposte

I never listen to the GOTY podcasts.
The only GOTY related thing that I honestly care about is the personal ones.

Power of Illusion should be GOTY for someone.

The GotY podcasts are good to have in the background if you are training to be the next Bruce Banner.

I like the personal GotYs. Especially if one of them is by Wolfpaw or w/e the fuck the writer of Portal 2 is named.

bonesquad

The $50 GB received from auto renewing me went towards paying Brad to give Mark of the Ninja 5/5. You're welcome.

In other news, I don't trust GB with my CC info. Therefore I 'updated' my CC info in my account with 000000000000, hoping it overwrites what was there, and it proceeded to throw confetti with Jeff and the gang congratulating me on my premium subscription! Thanks Giant Bomb! I'd be worried about auto renewals happening again next year, but I don't expect GB to be around as a separate entity by that point anyway.

Patryn

I think GOTY will come down to Dishonored, XCOM and AC3. If I HAD to guess right now, I'm predicting XCOM will be the winner.

I really thought Borderlands 2 would be a near shoo-in, but Jeff's really like but not love has removed that thought.

The real question: What will be 2012's 2011 GOTY?

smr00

Banned
When's the Bombcast out usually anywho? I actually have some time to kill tonight.
I could defiantly use the bombcast right now.. Farming the shit out of souls in Dark Souls since my body mysteriously fucking vanished out of the game and i lost almost 15k souls.

I think GOTY will come down to Dishonored, XCOM and AC3. If I HAD to guess right now, I'm predicting XCOM will be the winner.

I really thought Borderlands 2 would be a near shoo-in, but Jeff's really like but not love has removed that thought.

The real question: What will be 2012's 2011 GOTY?
On QFTF w/ Ryan Davis, sounded like Ryan hates Dishonored so i don't know. But i don't know how everyone else at GB feels about it.

Marino did that ridiculous review analysis back in June. According to that Brad gives 5 stars 20.8% of the time (it's probably higher now than it was then). To compare, Jeff gave 13.6% 5 stars, Ryan 9.6%, Alex 12.8% and Patrick a fat 0.0%.

I think this means Brad is winning. He deserves RE6.

While everyone already knew this, its to see Vinny proven mathematically to be the best!

Sadly, Mr. Caravella has not reviewed a game since October 2009. Although we haven't seen an official review from Vinny in nearly three years, user reviews agree with him ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE TIME! It's clear that the community is more in tune with Vinny's opinions than any other staff member.

In terms of what makes the list, Journey, Mark of the Ninja, and perhaps The Walking Dead will be on it. I do not see AC3 on that list though, or at least on the top pick. XCOM is a strong contender, but it would need to get support from a several duders to make a serious push. A lot of people are assuming that Ryan dislikes Dishonored, but he was bullish about it at E3 iirc. Jeff was positive about it over the weekend on Twitter. Halo4 may be a strong contender, depending on how the SP turns out.

Riposte

In terms of what makes the list, Journey, Mark of the Ninja, and perhaps The Walking Dead will be on it. I do not see AC3 on that list though, or at least on the top pick. XCOM is a strong contender, but it would need to get support from a several duders to make a serious push. A lot of people are assuming that Ryan dislikes Dishonored, but he was bullish about it at E3 iirc. Jeff was positive about it over the weekend on Twitter. Halo4 may be a strong contender, depending on how the SP turns out.

As best I recall Ryan's Dishonored complaints, they were pretty much nonsensical. Unless the game turns out to be tedious in some way, he is going to change his mind to at least think it is okay.

EDIT: Since I've talked about it so much previously, I'll be sure not to bother to comment on the RE6 discussion on the bombcast as not to be a broken record. I just wonder if Brad ever learned how to quick shot or dodge before he beat all the campaigns.

Description:

We download our collective consciousness into Cybertown to air our grievances with Resident Evil 6 and NiGHTS, while also spending an inordinate amount of time discussing the TurboGrafx-16, the Ataris Lynx and Jaguar, Merlin Racing for the Nuon, Elexis Sinclaire, the right to cheat, 3D gaming, and more!

Put it in me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd be sad if Walking Dead or Asura's Wrath won goty. Both of them are barely games.

Walking Dead isn't even really an adventure game. There's very little puzzle solving. It's more like a translation of a choose your own adventure book.

BiggNife

I'd be sad if Walking Dead or Asura's Wrath won goty. Both of them are barely games.

Walking Dead isn't even really an adventure game. There's very little puzzle solving. It's more like a translation of a choose your own adventure book.

I really don't understand why TWD winning would bother you. Okay, sure, it's basically an interactive story: so what? It's still great, and it's still a game since the player can die as well as determine the outcome. Are you saying it should be banned just because it's not as interactive as some other games? Are you saying Heavy Rain shouldn't have been allowed to win awards either?

Riposte

It could be Journey.

Which is also barely a game. (You could say like Walking Dead isn't much of an adventure game, Journey is a platformer without much platforming.)

EDIT: I'm trying to figure out if my senses would be more offended by these winning than when Skyrim won. Hard to call, too apathetic.

Fox Mulder

I cared more about the characters and my decisions in the walking dead than anything in skyrim.

see5harp

Why are you mentioning games that aren't even out yet for goty candidates? The Walking Dead has been fantastic this fat when you consider that many people will have paid $15 for the entire experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom