• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - Let's Talk About Memberships!

Dizzy-4U

1510516-untitled_1_thumb.jpg

Giant Bomb's Ryan Davis and Jeff Gerstmann sit down with Whiskey Media's Dave Snider to talk about our new membership program.

RSS
Direct Download
iTunes

Taken from the other thread: http://www.tested.com/news/you-your-tested-account-and-the-new-whiskey-multi-pass/904/

Free
Access our suite of premium Web Sites
Limited profile abilities

Monthly - 4.95
HD Video
Premium profile features and content
HTML 5 based mobile site
Exclusive Friday live show

Yearly - 49.95
Everything in the monthly
No Ads
A custom T-shirt
10$ in savings

Thanks Aquavelvaman.

Launching paid memberships

Update:

# the bombcast is now being cut into two parts...same amount of time, but just categorized into two parts.
# the full two hours will only be available to subscribers, HOWEVER, that first hour will still be free to everyone.
# in that first week, that full two hours of the bombcast will only be available to members. However, that following week, we will make that free to everyone. yes, that 2nd hour will be put up.

whiskeymedia said:
If we get 5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10, the Bombcast goes free for everyone. Forever. Deal?
http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/23978756807
whiskeymedia said:
Meaning if we get 5k people to sign up for paid membership, we will not split the Bombcast. Think of it as 5k sponsors.
whiskeymedia said:
Paid members are paid members, monthly or annual.

Update 2:

whiskeymedia said:
In case you missed it, we're half way to 5,000.

Update 3:

September 15th is the new deadline. 4.4k subscribers so far.

Update 4:

whiskeymedia said:
The Bombcast is officially free for everyone... Forever. Thanks everyone! A replacement for subscribers (something new!) coming next week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Speaking of which - is this why they changed the source for their video pages? I used to download the flv's because my internet connection is stupidly slow.

Keyser Soze said:
Would not pay for membership...

Would pay for a 1 hour long "The 1up Show" video feature

I'd probably pay for an Endurance run. I guess the problem is that unlike Rifftrax, you need the video feed of the game to make it work.

Hanzou

ShockingAlberto said:
Not after they basically abandoned the app.

Going to have to wait and see if this is worth the money they're asking first.

The app is free. How did they abandon app. The app is there to view content on the site easily and it does that quite well.

Doublin up on this post

Stuff about Whiskey Subs on Tested With Dave videos!
plus a girl stroking Ryan Davis' luxurious face

$5 a month, $50 yearly, which I think is the amount I called way back when.

Stealing info from this post
Free

Monthly - 4.95
HD Video
HTML 5 based mobile site

Yearly - 49.95
No Ads
A custom T-shirt
10$ in savings

Calcaneus

Hanzou said:
The app is free. How did they abandon app. The app is there to view content on the site easily and it does that quite well.
I thought it was a paid app. Did they later make it free?

Hanzou said:
The app was not free when I paid for it.

It in fact cost money when I paid for it.

I know this because I paid for it.

Kusagari

Hanzou said:

I paid money for the app so no it was not free. Maybe it is now. I don't know.

Aquavelvaman said:
Doublin up on this post

Stuff about Whiskey Subs on Tested With Dave videos!
plus a girl stroking Ryan Davis' luxurious face

$5 a month, $50 yearly, which I think is the amount I called way back when.

Stealing info from this post
Free

Monthly - 4.95
HD Video
HTML 5 based mobile site

Yearly - 49.95
No Ads
A custom T-shirt
10$ in savings

Does this mean they are taking away the ability to view videos on the iPad? If so, Giant Bomb is making me angry. :/

~Kinggi~

Banned
Eh, 50$ is a bit steep. Wonder just how drastically the core site features are gonna be impacted by introducing paid members. If they start taking away all the features like endurance run or quick looks and stick them in the member area im gonna be pissed the gb guys went to the darkside.

Havok

Keyser Soze said:
Does this mean they are taking away the ability to view videos on the iPad? If so, Giant Bomb is making me angry. :/
No, it's a full on mobile site (there's a preview video of it somewhere on the site). The HTML5 videos on the full site will remain there, as far as I know.

hamchan

Calcaneus said:
I thought it was a paid app. Did they later make it free?

Yes they did. They were victims of piracy. Also they might have been too lazy to keep it updated as it's a big pain to go through Apple's system each time.

Hey, Friday Live Show. I'm in it for now.

EDIT: People are still scared they're taking stuff away? The guys have said enough times that they won't be doing that.

Calcaneus

Yeah, 50 bucks seems like a bit much. If they let me pay for individual months I'll probably just pay $5 for "busy" months, like E3 or holiday season.

Havok said:
No, it's a full on mobile site (there's a preview video of it somewhere on the site). The HTML5 videos on the full site will remain there, as far as I know.
Mobile Site Preview

Not sure if Minibomb and the like will still be able to access their API but Dave was pretty adamant that non-subbing users won't lose any existing features.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
love GB and all , but no , I am not paying anything , and also $50 is insane price.

Keyser Soze said:

not GB , I guess it's Whiskey Media higher guys who just want to cash in fast.

Totobeni said:
love GB and all , but no , I am not paying anything , and also $50 is insane price.

not GB , I guess it's Whiskey Media higher guys who just want to cash in fast.
If there's one thing we know about Whiskey Media, it's that they're all about the fast cash. The big bux. The moolah. Dolla dolla bill y'all.

so, as much as PS+ and $10 less than XBL?

:lol :lol :lol

i mean, i already said i wasn't paying, but damn, a ton of people said they would "pay $20 a year" are about to be very very heartbroken

OMG Aero

So they are now splitting the Bombcast into two segments and non-subscribers only get that second segment a week late? That sucks.

kylej

Banned
$50 a year... it's not the money it's the value proposition. I pay $5 a week for an electronic-only version of the NY Times and have no problems with it, but recently the GB output has been slow at best.

Will wait and see.

JohngPR

$50 seems a bit expensive.

You don't get to make fun of Playstation Plus anymore if you're charging the same price for a website about video games.

:p

Beowulf28

OMG Aero said:
So they are now splitting the Bombcast into two segments and non-subscribers only get that second segment a week late? That sucks.
Wait what!? We have to pay for the bombcast now??

About the podcast thing...

The first hr you'll get the meat of the podcast - game impressions, what they've been playing, WiiWare shit, etc...

The 2nd hr will be a week later and will probably just be just shenanigans?

Im not completely down with that idea but i'll toss in $50 for supporting one of the gems of the internet.

The friday live show could be a platform for more crazy, which im down for. Which would also be available for 720p download for later consumption of course.

Dizzy-4U

Beowulf28 said:
Wait what!? We have to pay for the bombcast now??
# the bombcast is now being cut into two parts...same amount of time, but just categorized into two parts.
# the full two hours will only be available to subscribers, HOWEVER, that first hour will still be free to everyone.
# in that first week, that full two hours of the bombcast will only be available to members. However, that following week, we will make that free to everyone. yes, that 2nd hour will be put up.

eznark

Banned
Iron_Scimitar said:
About the podcast thing...

The first hr you'll get the meat of the podcast - game impressions, what they've been playing, WiiWare shit, etc...

The 2nd hr will be a week later and will probably just be just shenanigans?

If that's really how it is split I will probably stop listening all together.

yup, probably out. Too bad, it was my favorite show left. I'm not going to listen to half a show and I'm not going to listen to a news/impressions show a week late.

Top Bottom