• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gillette] Who would have thought.

Fuz

Banned

What a surprise.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Day to day I don't think casual shavers care what movement is going on, hardcore shavers will avoid this company, Patriots, Gillette etc. are HUGE. lol everybody knows them but at the end of the day the whole thing makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Marketing Moron: Hey everyone, I have an idea. Let's do some SJW ads. We can grow sales by sucking up to that small core of people, in hopes they think all of us profit oriented office workers really care about their issues

Non-believer: But if we focus ads on that small group, isn't that a waste? Shouldn't we stick to marketing to the core group of people which makes up the majority of our sales?

Marketing Moron: No. It's all about loyalty. We have a strong enough brand that all those macho meatheads will still buy our shaving products. We don't even need to say "The Best a Man Can Get" anymore. If we can make this SJW group comprising of 2.5% of the market to our brands, that's an easy 2.5% of extra sales. That's what you call: Low Hanging Fruit 101

Non-believer: Hmmmm..... ok, let's give it a try

Marketing Moron: Oh shit, sales are down big time and we had to write off billions off dollars of brand value! And this happened in less than 6 months!

Exec: "We stand by our marketing. It was worth it"

Marketing Moron: [CONFIDENTIAL] This memo goes to all internal employees:

Hello fellow employees. After careful evaluation and despite the CEO trying to put up a brave statement to Wall Street, we will be focusing our shaving ads back to our traditional style. Please communicate to your retailers Gillette will be adjusting future TV ads back to normal, with expectation sales will improve.

If questioned by your retailer contact why Gillette is adjusting marketing messages right away, please warn them with this advice:

"Get Woke, Go Broke"

As our company has experienced, it is not worth satisfying those loud left leaning consumers. They are all talk. Going forward, the company has committed to marketing to our core base of users. They aren't as dumb as I thought they were.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

'Shifting the spotlight' is a nice choice of words. In no way they've changed, they still want your money despite openly stating they hate you.

Personally I've made an extra step and started avoiding P&G products altogether.

Last edited:

Amory

That ad got me irrationally angry. And I know that the anger was irrational because at the end of the day who really cares, but I haven't bought a Gillette product since and I'm sure that I never will again. The company now is that ad as far as I'm concerned.

God, the BALLS that it takes as a for-profit company to think it's within your purview to scold your own customers.

Good. I haven't bought Gillette in at least a year and a half, went totally over to store-brand razors. Just as good, sometimes better than Gillette's trash.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Good. I haven't bought Gillette in at least a year and a half, went totally over to store-brand razors. Just as good, sometimes better than Gillette's trash.

Personally I went to Dorco. Their stuff is MILES better than any of the main brands in my experience. I mean it's night and day. My face is shaved quicker and with far less irritation to the skin. Thanks Gillette, without that ad I'd never have discovered Dorco.

McCheese

What are the good Gillette alternatives in the UK?

Pretty sure they own Bic, so they appear to have a duopoly in most of the supermarkets.

MilkyJoe

Personally I went to Dorco. Their stuff is MILES better than any of the main brands in my experience. I mean it's night and day. My face is shaved quicker and with far less irritation to the skin. Thanks Gillette, without that ad I'd never have discovered Dorco.

This is so true.

I switched to Wilkinson Sword and found that the blades last much longer, so their little Woke moment really has been a double whammy, even if they apologized publicly, most people have found a better, cheaper, product. Silly wankers.

GreyHorace

Bought a Schick razor late last year. Much cheaper and does the job as well as Gillete's overly expensive crap.

I am not supporting this company's cynical woke marketing campaign. They can go broke for all I care.

*Hive Mind Engaged*

Boys will be boys......boys will be boys......boys will be boys......

(seriously what an odd PR move, I’m not usually a big ‘Woke Go Broke’ guy but this is definitely a case of going too woke and napalming the majority of your customer base)

"I don’t enjoy that some people were offended by the film and upset at the brand as a consequence. But I am absolutely of the view now that for the majority of people to fall more deeply in love with today’s brands you have to risk upsetting a small minority and that’s what we’ve done."
Real weird campaign, to try to get people to "fall more deeply in love" with your brand by calling them assholes. It's impossible to say for certain how much this ad contributed to their loss of money and customers, but the fact that they're changing direction now says enough.

It's the equivalent of a company that makes tampons creating an ad telling women to stop being sluts. Then acting confused when the customers get angry.

I still use gillette because around here it's the most convenient option.

Fuz

Banned
I really want to know what happened to the advertiser who designed the ad and thought that was a good idea.

Romulus

I can just see their execs trying to force diversity back when it was starting to be the cool kid thing to do. Now these shits have gained seniority and are pushing their narrative.

Last edited:
People still on about this? It's just a commercial.

The only people in real life I ever saw complain about this ad are dude-bros who have testicles hanging from the back of their F-150 and listen to Hinder.

Top Bottom