• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gillette (Yes, the razor company) chastises men in new commercial highlighting #metoo movement

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
https://www.businessinsider.com/gillette-metoo-commercial-criticizes-men-2019-1

Gillette is calling on men to step it up.

A new ad, called "We Believe" and lasting a minute and a half, encourages men to change their behavior. It directly invokes the #MeToo movement to confront America's culture.

"Gillette believes in the best in men — that by holding each other accountable, eliminating excuses for bad behavior, and supporting a new generation working toward their personal 'best,' we can deliver positive change that will matter for years to come," Gary Coombe, the president of the Gillette parent Procter & Gamble's global grooming business, said in a statement about the ad.

The narration continues over scenes of men changing their behavior:

"We can't hide from it. It has been going on far too long. We can't laugh it off. Making the same old excuses. But something finally changed. And there will be no going back. Because we ... We believe in the best in men. To say the right thing. To act the right way. Some already are, in ways big and small. But some is not enough. Because the boys watching today will be the men of tomorrow."​
The ad was developed by Gillette's advertising agency, Grey, and was directed by Kim Gehrig. Gillette also pledged $1 million a year to nonprofit groups "designed to help men of all ages achieve their personal 'best,' changing the conversation of modern manhood for generations to come."
Here's the vid:

That upvote/downvote ratio though.

And this comment:

"pie_tears_joy:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Seems like a bad business move. The males who would see this commercial and be inspired to buy Gillette's products have no facial hair or body hair to speak of.

Jan 31, 2018
That was actually really good. I don’t really see it as chastising men but asking them to act like men and not boys.

JareBear

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
Either a good intention that might backfire, or “suave corporate decision” trying to capitalize on “good intentions” that might backfire.

I’m not bothered either way. This doesn’t seem “too woke” to me. I’ve seen much more overdone attempts. I’m biased tho. I use old school razors anyway.

Seems like a bad business move. The males who would see this commercial and be inspired to buy Gillette's products have no facial hair or body hair to speak of.
The Vape Shop vs. Trump Supporter guy, the REE one, had a gnarly beard!

Last edited:

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
That was actually really good. I don’t really see it as chastising men but asking them to act like men and not boys.
Yes let keep demonizing men, criticize everything that makes men men, and then wonder why men in western society are 4 times more likely to kill themselves than women. Why men are doing more poorly than women across the board.

Their statement:

But turn on the news today and it’s easy to believe that men are not at their best. Many find themselves at a crossroads, caught between the past and a new era of masculinity. While it is clear that changes are needed, where and how we can start to effect that change is less obvious for many. And when the changes needed seem so monumental, it can feel daunting to begin. So, let’s do it together.

It’s time we acknowledge that brands, like ours, play a role in influencing culture. And as a company that encourages men to be their best, we have a responsibility to make sure we are promoting positive, attainable, inclusive and healthy versions of what it means to be a man. With that in mind, we have spent the last few months taking a hard look at our past and coming communication and reflecting on the types of men and behaviors we want to celebrate. We’re inviting all men along this journey with us – to strive to be better, to make us better, and to help each other be better.

From today on, we pledge to actively challenge the stereotypes and expectations of what it means to be a man everywhere you see Gillette. In the ads we run, the images we publish to social media, the words we choose, and so much more.

As part of The Best Men Can Be campaign, Gillette is committing to donate $1 million per year for the next three years to non-profit organizations executing programs in the United States designed to inspire, educate and help men of all ages achieve their personal “best” and become role models for the next generation.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
As part of The Best Men Can Be campaign, Gillette is committing to donate $1 million per year for the next three years to non-profit organizations executing programs in the United States designed to inspire, educate and help men of all ages achieve their personal “best” and become role models for the next generation.
Joke's on them: there are hardly any male-focused programs (except for our prison programs) that aim to "inspire, educate, and help men of all ages".

Men don't even have a support network of battered shelters.

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
Joke's on them: there are hardly any male-focused programs (except for our prison programs) that aim to "inspire, educate, and help men of all ages".

Men don't even have a support network of battered shelters.
That's why they're donating to:

"Our first partner in this effort is The Boys & Girls Clubs of America "

Last edited:

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
Let's face, they're doing this because they think it will sell more razors. It annoys me to no end when companies latch on to social movements in the persuit of profit. People that stand behind #metoo should be disgusted at this transparent hijacking of their movement.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
And it's something I've been saying for a while now.
It would be better if Gillette made this to show to all the Hollywood types getting caught for harassing people. You know what I mean? Like this could have been shown during the Golden Globes with pictures of Kevin Spacey, Weinstein, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, etc in the background.

Jan 9, 2018
Honor-based accountability measures for fellow men are a hallmark of masculinity and something particular to men's mode of sociality that stands apart from women. The problem isn't with accountability, but with adopting the weak progressive narrative that "men in the past were [X], now we're evolving because of [metoo, etc]." No; upright behavior was better guaranteed by the older honor systems & gender-based norms that progressives have generally tried to weaken, and nothing that the new corporate-stamped replacements can create should be taken seriously by men.

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
This didn't work out so well for Nike. Kaepernick being introduced as their spokesperson did nothing for their stock.

When he was introduced on September 4th, Nike stock was at $79.60. It hit a low of $67.53 on December 20th. It's bounced back a bit and today it's at $76.06.

Last edited:

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
Saw this earlier and they lost me as a customer. I do not need a company to talk down to me as if I am a problem.

weltalldx

Feb 25, 2017
This didn't work out so well for Nike. Kaepernick being introduced as their spokesperson did nothing for their stock.

When he was introduced on September 4th, Nike stock was at $79.60. It hit a low of $67.53 on December 20th. It's bounced back a bit and today it's at $76.06.
Get woke, go broke?

I saw that whole commercial. Not sure who the target audience was. It seem to be targeting young, african american, liberal males? Could this be an effort to try and curry favor with the radical left who may try to go after them for racism/descrimination like they did with starbucks, chipotle, and walmart?

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
I imagine how this would go about an ad criticizing femininity.
Imagine an ad for tampons criticizing women for PMS and telling them they have to hold each other accountable, eliminate excuses for PMS inspired behavior, and support a new generation of women to work towards their personal best behavior and not let PMS get the best of them.

JareBear

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
It's not. Gillette is nobody's father. Why are they acting like it? I don't need to be lectured by billion dollar corporation that makes overpriced razors and shaving cream. Neither do you.
One thing I said after the Meryl Streep award show speech from a year or two ago is that it seems like people are really tired of being lectured.

Like, I agreed with Streep, message wise, just like I agree with Gillette, but the delivery is often the key and something often botched lately.

How you approach someone right off the bat heavily influences the outcome of the discussion, if not decide it entirely.

Peope are tired of being lectured.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
It's not. Gillette is nobody's father. Why are they acting like it? I don't need to be lectured by billion dollar corporation that makes overpriced razors and shaving cream. Neither do you.
I didn't feel like I was lectured watching that. It's a nice campaign that will go towards mens causes, good luck to them. I'm just not in the market for that company, and I don't own their stock so....

Since labor day (campaigns start) the Kaepernick campaign, the NFL season starting, the U.S. Open closing week, and etc have driven 6 billion in sales by the end of q3. At the end of December the entire market was seeing something happening to the stock prices. So you need to wait for the next investor presentations where Nike will overlay how successful the Kaepernick campaign is so far, and then until whenever to see how it did overall. But so far it has been successful.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Idgt :/
Is the joke that he's denouncing his son for liking the video?
"My wife's son" is a joke based on the cuck meme. While it is in the context of a man raising another man's kid, it actually is attacking a man who takes no personal pride in raising a child who is effectively his by marriage. A man steps up, a cuck steps back and does not leave his mark.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
I don't get the concept of respecting people more or less because of their gender.

Or that people kill, steal or rape because they weren't taught not to.

Or that it is ok to lecture people of certain gender, because (relatively) a handful of individuals commits crimes.

Beerman462

Aug 12, 2011
Commercial is whatever.

You're a chump if you bought their shit in the first place. I bought a safety Razor for $15 and 100 refills for $10. I paid $25 over 5 years ago and haven't paid a dime since.

the.acl

Sep 17, 2016
New York
I like the message, but I don't appreciate politics being inserted into everything from sports to men's grooming products.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
Real men, like me, shave with a rock, not a girly plastic razor

Blood Borne

Oct 30, 2017
Lol. Beautiful.

I really don’t understand this war on men. Everyone is attacking men and anything masculine. It’s so bizarre. Basically, any place/institution/organisation that male dominated is evil and fosters toxic masculinity, therefore either we dismantle it or force women into it in order to ‘dilute’ the toxicity of men. Leftists are weird.

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
Lol. Beautiful.

I really don’t understand this war on men. Everyone is attacking men and anything masculine. It’s so bizarre. Basically, any place/institution/organisation that male dominated is evil and fosters toxic masculinity, therefore either we dismantle it or force women into it in order to ‘dilute’ the toxicity of men. Leftists are weird.
It's fashionable to hate on men, apparently. Companies like Gillette are as slow and risk-adverse as they come, so when they jump on the bandwagon you know it's mainstream. The fact it took them about a year after #metoo became a thing tells you all you need to know -- they have no fear of retaliation and they see a business opportunity.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I had a Gillette razor once. It was a piece of shit that gave me terrible razor burn. I’ve used bic disposables ever since. I wish I could say I was gonna participate in the boycott but I don’t use their shitty products anyway.

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008
Saw this earlier and they lost me as a customer. I do not need a company to talk down to me as if I am a problem.
This exactly. I hate these “boycott company X because they support Y” reactions. But they are literally insulting their target market. (while also overcharging the hell out of them) Glad I switched to Harry’s a year ago.

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
Pink razors cost more than non-pink razors and dumb feminists cry about it instead of buying the non-pink razor.
I'm going to assume that that's true:
Pink razors would cost more than not pink razors because pink razors are produced at a smaller scale. Kinda like a special edition of a car would cost more than the regular one.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I'm going to assume that that's true:
Pink razors would cost more than not pink razors because pink razors are produced at a smaller scale. Kinda like a special edition of a car would cost more than the regular one.
Feminist economics don’t care about your facts.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Rape and sexual assault is finally over now!! Thanks gillette!!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
Pink razors cost more than non-pink razors and dumb feminists cry about it instead of buying the non-pink razor.
I sometimes use the Pink ones if they are cheaper. Literally no difference between them really.

Although it is dumb to charge more for a Pink one. Should we shame Gilette for this?

Last edited:

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
I sometimes use the Pink ones if they arw cheaper. Literally no difference between them really.

Although it is dumb to charge more for a Pink one. Should we shame Gilette for this?
It's not dumb to charge more for a product that costs them more to produce...