• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gillette (Yes, the razor company) chastises men in new commercial highlighting #metoo movement

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
The operative words were "they let you". Conveniently ignored by the neurotic, mentally and sexually frustrated feminist types.
If Gillette really wants to make men better, they should start with an add that says "Ignoring nuance and how the real world works will not get you laid fellas. Try being rich instead."

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
If Gillette really wants to make men better, they should start with an add that says "Ignoring nuance and how the real world works will not get you laid fellas. Try being rich instead."
And then they can have a follow-up, "the difference between flattery and a creep, is how attractive you are."

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
I watched the stupid ad.

The trouble is that most of it's examples of societal sexism are imaginary, was there ever a sitcom in which the dad grabbing a maid's ass was treated as a joke? I doubt it.

And was there ever a time in which kids beating each other up at a backyard barbecue would be dismissed as just "boys will be boys"? I also doubt it.

At the very least, it certainly hasn't been that way for decades, what planet are the makers of this ad living on?

it's SJWs in a nutshell, they live in an invented version of reality.

Not to mention just how does the corporate world think they can get away with lecturing people on morality? On selling "morality" like they sell a product? Agree or disagree with the message it's a creepy overstepping of their boundaries.

May 15, 2018
im late as a mother father about this stupid fucking ad. i saw it and wanted to see what my peers thought about it but ultimately i dont care what you guys think. ads like this are the same as the nike as in that its cashing in on a "movement" whether that movement is meaningless or not. its inherently a bad ad because it automatically makes an enemy out of someone. it says you have done bad even if you havent done it yet. its some first sin bullshit. its on thought crime level. "you havent killed yet but you are X so you might as well be guilty of doing it". they really are late on it but they are still trying. its gross but its very easily like uhhh seen through or whatever. any kind of ad giving people a morality lesson should instantly be dumped.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Have you ever asked women about this?
I mean, the US elected a guy as president who publicly bragged about grabbing women "by the pussy", what kind of environment does that reflect, in your opinion, and is that kind of environment something women just has to live with, or is it something that should be changed?
just a reminder that many of the people, mostly democrats, celebrating this ad have a history of supporting, twice, a president who has been accused of rape multiple times by multiple wonen.

bit late to jump on this horse

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
And then they can have a follow-up, "the difference between flattery and a creep, is how attractive you are."
Let's be honest, an honest commerical talking to men would be called "alt right" or "sexist" or whatever is the new buzzword of 2019.

royox

Nov 3, 2013
The video depicted three negative things:
1. Sexual harassment (verbal and physical)
2. Violent behavior (bullying and fighting)
3. Condescending behavior (in the workplace)

And the point it made then was that this can no longer be tolerated as something normal and especially not as something thats part of regular masculinity("boys will be boys") and instead must be called out and changed.

What part of that message do you disagree with?
Do you count yourself among those targeted by the negative things? Or do you just not think its necessary to call out that behavior?

The video depicts all those negative things as if every white cis straight man/guy behaved like that and only 2-3 of them are woke enough to stop it. The add is just a big "HEY GUYS STOP BEING BAD!!!!". It yells "TOXIC MASCUNINITY!!!!" as if it was even a thing while it's not.

I've NEVER in my life (32yo) heard a single man/boy/male human say "BOYS WILL BE BOYS". I heard those lines countless times being said by, OH NO!, girls/women. The most savage bullying i've seen have been a mob of teen girls against another girl hitting her, pulling her hair, stripping her in the street and recording it.

Where's the "WOMEN PLEASE, STOP FEMALE TOXICITY" add campaign?

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
I don't see why everyone is getting so upset.

Surely this only bothers you if you are a man who beats women or is a sexist dick?
I think the issue is that it generalizes most dudes as being toxic, which if you aren't is pretty insulting especially from this company. That's from my understanding of the situation at least.

Last edited:

KarneeKarnay

Mar 4, 2014
London, UK
www.markeenrw.com
I think the issue is that it generalizes most dudes as being toxic, which if you aren't is pretty insulting especially from this company. That's from my understanding of the situation at least.
But half way through it shows men stopping the actions. If it was just, look at how awful men are, I'd probably be more understanding, but it also has men being the hero. If anything it seems symbolic of the new leaf that men have turned in the last 30 years.

Dec 15, 2011
Surely this only bothers you if you are a man who beats women or is a sexist dick?
Some people are able to express empathy and concerns even if an issue doesn't relate to them directly.
Oddly, after generalising all men as toxic individuals the advert then goes on to preach about how men mustn't be dismissive, even if an issue doesn't relate to them directly.

It seems like that ad was talking to you, but you missed its message.
You've set the new standard for irony.

KarneeKarnay

Mar 4, 2014
London, UK
www.markeenrw.com
Some people are able to express empathy and concerns even if an issue doesn't relate to them directly.
Sure. I don't think that changes anything. In facts it's a well known advertising and communication technique to find ways to make certain things relate to people, because showing that relations makes it more impactful. It's practically a pillar to all modern messaging in media.

Oddly, after generalising all men as toxic individuals the advert then goes on to preach about how men mustn't be dismissive, even if an issue doesn't relate to them directly.
What do you mean doesn't relate? Unless you were born yesterday, I'm pretty sure as a kid you laughed at jokes in sitcoms that were about sexism in the work place, or someone telling you to man up. These are things I'm sure all men can relate to in someway. Besides half the advert is literally men doing the right thing and stopping it. If anything it's symbolic of how mens attitudes have changed over the last 30 years.

It seems like that ad was talking to you, but you missed its message.
You've set the new standard for irony.
Jeez dude. Calm down, your internet warrior is showing. That said if you honestly don't think the message of the ad was for men to continue to strive to be better, what do you think it was?

Dec 15, 2011
Jeez dude. Calm down, your internet warrior is showing. That said if you honestly don't think the message of the ad was for men to continue to strive to be better, what do you think it was?
Comes into an 1,800 comment discussion to give a hot-take and be dismissive, blames someone else when challenged, doubles down on not participating in the discussion already at hand, assumes it's up to others to tell them.

The best a man can be.

KarneeKarnay

Mar 4, 2014
London, UK
www.markeenrw.com
Comes into an 1,800 comment discussion to give a hot-take and be dismissive, blames someone else when challenged, doubles down on not participating in the discussion already at hand, assumes it's up to others to tell them.

The best a man can be.
Dude why are you mad? I've not dismissed you, you're the one who attacked me and I'm participating in the discussion by asking you questions about your opinion.

L. Kosugi

Neo Member
Jun 13, 2018
Are you brain damaged? It was a private conversation leaked to the press, and all he said was when you are rich and famous they are cool with it. It was crass for sure. But to suggest he was talking about unwanted touching of someone's vagina is the mark of either stupidity or unrelenting tribalism. But anyway, good luck getting women to stop being attracted to wealth and power by bitching at men. Like that will make a difference.
If only american people had elected a true feminist...

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gillette-advert-toxic-masculinity-sales-impact-a8745966.html

This is 2 days old, but I haven't seen it yet. It appears the CFO stated the ad campaign had no impact on sales, however they are calling it a success due to connecting “more meaningfully with younger consumer groups” has been achieved. I'm not really sure how that is a success...
How exactly do you measure "connecting more meaningfully with younger consumer groups"?

Oh, right, they're just starting a conversation:

“That campaign was aired once and has generated significant conversation, which is important and has generated a huge number of impressions,” he said.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
How exactly do you measure "connecting more meaningfully with younger consumer groups"?

Oh, right, they're just starting a conversation:

“That campaign was aired once and has generated significant conversation, which is important and has generated a huge number of impressions,” he said.
I feel like most companies would feel that an ad that generates a "huge number of impressions" but had "no impact on sales" would hardly be a success, but I guess Gillette is just happy that they are improving the world!

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
I feel like most companies would feel that an ad that generates a "huge number of impressions" but had "no impact on sales" would hardly be a success, but I guess Gillette is just happy that they are improving the world!
Yeah they are improving the world by making the atmosphere even more toxic. That must be some kind of fucked up modern feminist logic. By accusing and generalizing people based on their race and gender you do not improve the world. In fact you make it more hostile..

JareBear

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
Yeah they are improving the world by making the atmosphere even more toxic. That must be some kind of fucked up modern feminist logic. By accusing and generalizing people based on their race and gender you do not improve the world. In fact you make it more hostile..
I agree, but how do you feel about accusing and generalizing people based solely on political party affiliation? That shit happens on here every ten seconds

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I agree, but how do you feel about accusing and generalizing people based solely on political party affiliation? That shit happens on here every ten seconds
Political affiliation = mutable characteristic.

Gender = immutable characteristic.

You're not comparing apples with apples.

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
Political affiliation = mutable characteristic.

Gender = immutable characteristic.

You're not comparing apples with apples.
You're still generalizing, otherwise you wouldn't be complaining when people generalize MAGA.

At the end of the day people generalize what they want to generalize immutable or no.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
You're still generalizing, otherwise you wouldn't be complaining when people generalize MAGA.

At the end of the day people generalize what they want to generalize immutable or no.
Pointing out hypocrisy is not the same as complaining. One day you will realise this. Maybe.

Criticising only things that are within people’s control is a good rule to live by. This is why criticising someone for their political affiliation is not even in the same ballpark as criticising them for their race or gender. It’s so obvious but you always fail to understand.

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
Pointing out hypocrisy is not the same as complaining. One day you will realise this. Maybe.

Criticising only things that are within people’s control is a good rule to live by. This is why criticising someone for their political affiliation is not even in the same ballpark as criticising them for their race or gender. It’s so obvious but you always fail to understand.
Sure it's not the same thing, but it's treated the same anyway. People don't make the distinction, because that's not what matters. The mere act of generalizing is.

Last edited:

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017

eopple are judgemental. For examle if i See a nazi or some Antifa guy or Group i will keep my distance. But i will Kot treat you judgemental based on your color or Gender.

For the rest you have chosen your path yourself

hariseldon

Aug 22, 2018
So, I switched to Dorco. My shave now takes vastly less time. The difference is huge, a single stroke gets rid of everything. A lifelong Gillette customer, would have remained that way, but they gave me a reason to look elsewhere and now intertia means I'll probably be with Dorco until such a point as they cease to offer high quality.

Mar 18, 2018
So, I switched to Dorco. My shave now takes vastly less time. The difference is huge, a single stroke gets rid of everything. A lifelong Gillette customer, would have remained that way, but they gave me a reason to look elsewhere and now intertia means I'll probably be with Dorco until such a point as they cease to offer high quality.
a vastly better ad than Gillette came up with

bigedole

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
Taken at face value, I thought this was interesting. Thread ban me if #Fakenews.

Found the CBS video with timestamp to the removed footage, so looks like Gilette really did remove it... (watch video from OP and you can't find this clip)

Last edited:

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
That's some heavy identity politics from people who don't like identity politics.

edit: That CBS vid segment was pretty good.

Last edited:

bigedole

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
That's some heavy identity politics from people who don't like identity politics.
It's confirmation that the video was made with that specifically in mind, contrary to what you yourself have said in this thread. The day you see me appeal to immutable characteristics to validate my opinion is the day you might have a point about this.

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
It's confirmation that the video was made with that specifically in mind, contrary to what you yourself have said in this thread. The day you see me appeal to immutable characteristics to validate my opinion is the day you might have a point about this.
That video is a waste of my time. I don't even care about it.

Now that CBS video, that was a good conversation and the critique at the end made sense. That was good stuff.

Last edited:

bigedole

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX

Now that CBS video, that was a good conversation and the critique at the end made sense. That was good stuff.
Think I'm just going to add you to my ignore too. You clearly have no interest in actually discussing the issue. You're criticizing a 6 minute video you couldn't even bother to watch. It's not the first time you've simply stanned for whatever the SJW narrative was, I'll let this be the last time I waste my time reading or engaging with it.

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
Think I'm just going to add you to my ignore too. You clearly have no interest in actually discussing the issue. You're criticizing a 6 minute video you couldn't even bother to watch. It's not the first time you've simply stanned for whatever the SJW narrative was, I'll let this be the last time I waste my time reading or engaging with it.
Good luck on your future endeavors.

Dec 15, 2011
Do you usually make repeated comments in discussions to tell anyone who happens to read them that the subject of the discussion "is a waste of my time" and you "don't even care about it"?

Presumably if either of these statements were remotely truthful you would either not comment at all, or they would be the sole contribution you make to the discussion.

Last edited:

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
Do you usually make repeated comments in discussions to tell anyone who happens to read them that the subject of the discussion "is a waste of my time" and you "don't even care about it"?

Presumably if either of these statements were remotely truthful you would either not comment at all, or they would be the sole contribution you make to the discussion.
Listen bro, I'm not a fan of the manufactured race war variety. It drives clicks, and may be fun to use on forums, but it's not cute. It takes the discussion away from the actual point of the ad, which is discussed really well in the CBS segment. I'm glad that it was shared.

As a general comment, the imagery from that music vid is one of those things where the image is toxic and plants images into our head, but at the same time is for entertainment purposes. That's an interesting conversation in itself. Now since they edited it out, I don't care because it doesn't change the point of the ad. In youtube there are ways to edit your vid in all kinds of ways without losing views, so whatever to that too.

Dec 15, 2011
So you care when you choose to throw in some sort of take, but not when others highlight you not practicing what you preach or that it contradicts points made or outright dismisses them in favour of your preferred narrative. Then you suddenly don't care. You're above it all. Those pointing out the contradictions are deemed unworthy of attention. Until it's pointed out how much you seemed to care until you arbitrarily stopped caring. Then you care again. But only up to the point where you no longer care.

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited: