• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gillette (Yes, the razor company) chastises men in new commercial highlighting #metoo movement

michaelius

Jan 5, 2012
I can’t pretend to get angry about a fat lady on a beach. If it makes a few people feel better about themselves, it’s not the worst thing.

I don’t think anyone actually thinks it’s healthy. Or attractive.
As someone who is overweight myself I think making overweight people more comfortable is last thing we need.

Instead of producing fat Barbies or adds like this we should rather promote healthy lifestyle.

Ogbert

Feb 21, 2018
As someone who is overweight myself I think making overweight people more comfortable is last thing we need.

Instead of producing fat Barbies or adds like this we should rather promote healthy lifestyle.
I understand that. And I'm overweight too.

I just don't really think an advert like this will 'normalise' anything. It's a razor company trying way too hard to appease a bunch of wierdos.

I don't see any 'harm'. Nor do I see any 'benefit'. It's just pandering.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I can’t pretend to get angry about a fat lady on a beach. If it makes a few people feel better about themselves, it’s not the worst thing.

I don’t think anyone actually thinks it’s healthy. Or attractive.
I doubt many people are actually angry about it. I am not. I am, however, well past tired of certain trends caused by a certain ideology, and will mock it while not buying their products whenever possible. Run an ad suggesting men need to be reconditioned to live in society, then tell a 600 lb woman in a bikini its time to slay the day? Peace, I'm out.

Ogbert

Feb 21, 2018
Run an ad suggesting men need to be reconditioned to live in society, then tell a 600 lb woman in a bikini its time to slay the day? Peace, I'm out.
Oh, likewise.

Gillette can shampoo my balls. After that absurd toxic masculinity advert, they can do one.

That said, it was an easy decision, as last time I went to buy a razor, their stuff was about three times the price of everyone else.

hariseldon

Aug 22, 2018
Our worst diseases in the West appear to have their root in our poor diet. I'm not paying taxes for a fatass to swipe their foodstamp card and buy tubs of ice-cream and then get a free heart transplant when theirs gives up a few decades early.

Gov't intervention may have helped other countries with their healthcare, but for the USA to delve into that issue with all these other societal problems is like the Gov't spending tax money to send every alcoholic a stomach-pump to deal with their own alcohol poisoning.
The problem is that for every idiot alcoholic you also have people like my wife who has MS through no fault of her own. In America her treatment would likely have bankrupted us, or she'd miss out on the treatment and not be able to contribute to the economy. People get bankrupted by cancer, like it's not enough that they got cancer in the first place. Of course, now with her condition my wife would probably find insurance hard to come by had insurance companies not been forced to insure those with existing conditions. The key thing is that, yes we pay tax to avoid all that horseshit, but it means we never have to worry about that kind of insanity. To me that seems more civilised than leaving people dying in pain because they don't have enough money.

hariseldon

Aug 22, 2018
Oh, likewise.

Gillette can shampoo my balls. After that absurd toxic masculinity advert, they can do one.

That said, it was an easy decision, as last time I went to buy a razor, their stuff was about three times the price of everyone else.
Personally I'd not let their products anywhere near my balls.. I switched to Dorco for my shaving needs and the end result has been a vastly superior shave, faster and with far less effort involved. If they hadn't run their shitty ad I'd have never tried Dorco so thanks Gillette. (also my wife switched her razor to Dorco and has been very happy with it - 2 lost customers)

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I'm actually just sad I don't own any Gillette products to stop buying. Like, I want to tell to my wife to go buy me Gilette razors and then call her while she's at the store and be like 'Psyche! No razors for me! Take that Gillette!'. Then when my wife gets home I'll tell her why the patriarchy is a sham perpetrated by the power hungry while she makes me dinner. Maybe I'll have her write a complaint letter to Gillette while I'm at it.

Just kidding. As every married man knows, I have no say in anything already. That's why most feminists are young or lesbians, because all the married women know they already control the world and stop paying feminist club membership fees so they have more money to spend on hair care products. And male feminist is just a code word for creeper, so they don't count.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
The problem is that for every idiot alcoholic you also have people like my wife who has MS through no fault of her own. In America her treatment would likely have bankrupted us, or she'd miss out on the treatment and not be able to contribute to the economy. People get bankrupted by cancer, like it's not enough that they got cancer in the first place. Of course, now with her condition my wife would probably find insurance hard to come by had insurance companies not been forced to insure those with existing conditions. The key thing is that, yes we pay tax to avoid all that horseshit, but it means we never have to worry about that kind of insanity. To me that seems more civilised than leaving people dying in pain because they don't have enough money.
Don't misunderstand: our healthcare needs an overhaul, but handing over more influence to the gov't (when they already botched ACA) doesn't seem sensible. I'm pragmatic. If we have a way to provide cheaper healthcare to a wider range of citizens, let's do it. But let's do it with methods that haven't already crashed and burned in this country.

hariseldon

Aug 22, 2018
Don't misunderstand: our healthcare needs an overhaul, but handing over more influence to the gov't (when they already botched ACA) doesn't seem sensible. I'm pragmatic. If we have a way to provide cheaper healthcare to a wider range of citizens, let's do it. But let's do it with methods that haven't already crashed and burned in this country.
Thing is it's a choice between government, private companies who are ripping everyone off and will continue to do so or non-profits which have their own issues (eg activism). Out of the three, government is the least-worst option.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Thing is it's a choice between government, private companies who are ripping everyone off and will continue to do so or non-profits which have their own issues (eg activism). Out of the three, government is the least-worst option.
ACA made things more expensive for the majority of responsible insurance holders. Again, I am not suggesting we yank options away from people, but if the Gov't is already botching it this bad we need reform before we hand them more influence over the country's healthcare.

As it stands, our Gov't has been the willing mediator between our tax-dollars and the health/medicine corporations + insurance companies. One of the first thing MI's new Democrat governor did was shake hands with an insurance company that had donated heavily to her election campaign. And this Democrat voted against single-payer.

So, can you see my perspective? I understand that people suffer and need the Gov't for a helping hand. I've personally benefitted from welfare when I was on hard times. I'm not suggesting we erase that.

However, the corruption needs to be flushed out before we continue trusting these clowns with such an important part of our citizens' lives.

hariseldon

Aug 22, 2018
ACA made things more expensive for the majority of responsible insurance holders. Again, I am not suggesting we yank options away from people, but if the Gov't is already botching it this bad we need reform before we hand them more influence over the country's healthcare.

As it stands, our Gov't has been the willing mediator between our tax-dollars and the health/medicine corporations + insurance companies. One of the first thing MI's new Democrat governor did was shake hands with an insurance company that had donated heavily to her election campaign. And this Democrat voted against single-payer.

So, can you see my perspective? I understand that people suffer and need the Gov't for a helping hand. I've personally benefitted from welfare when I was on hard times. I'm not suggesting we erase that.

However, the corruption needs to be flushed out before we continue trusting these clowns with such an important part of our citizens' lives.
I'd say the botching is in part a result of the parties not being able to find agreement, and thus the whole thing becoming a watered-down mess that does no good for anyone, and lobbying by big pharma and the insurance companies is definitely a factor in that.

I'm not entirely sure how one goes about draining the swamp though given there are now probably so few non-corrupt non-corporate-funded politicians left that it would be incredibly difficult to make anything happen. The big problem is that campaign costs are so insane that you just can't do it without corporate sponsorship. That's the thing that needs fixing on some level (though I'm fucked if I know how).

I know from previous conversations you're not one of the hard-core tax-is-theft nutters so don't worry, I'm not going to assume any such madness. I agree that there is a problem of government corruption, and that needs fixing however the hell that gets done. The problem is that while we all wait for a solution a lot of people fall through the cracks and end up in shitty situations, your insurance bills get higher (in the UK the insurance companies generally have no part in the NHS*) and everyone loses.

* The NHS consists of government-run hospitals which do remarkable things with very limited resources, and while decisions have to be made about certain crazy costs and not everyone gets exactly what they want, in general it's pretty damn good at getting you to a place where you're pain-free and able to work if that's possible. No doubt some people take the piss by drinking and fighting, but the alternative is, for me, worse. Insurance companies are separate, buying time in the NHS hospitals to jump the queue if you're in a hurry, and running a small number of their own facilities, but the key thing is that the majority of the work is carried out by the NHS and the uptake of private healthcare is so minimal as to be an irrelevance, primarily because the NHS is very fucking good.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
America’s obesity has largely to do with portion size IMO. We put a lot of food on our plate, too much to even eat. Other countries have smaller sizes they sell in grocery stores. Here it’s alway super size everything

But yeah this lady isn’t fat she is morbidly obese

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Jun 15, 2013
Gillette is disgusting.
We shouldn’t be encouraging morbid obesity.

Sure be happy about who you are or work to change who you are. But at no point should we say morbid obesity is fine when it is clearly a national health crisis.

If they wanted a body image statement they should have found a mother with stretch marks or somebody with loose skin from losing a ton of weight. Not somebody who is celebrating their morbidity.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
It's definitely aiming for the woke 'humour' that no one ever actually finds funny but far left people like to share on Twitter while feeling morally superior because of, but that doesn't make it a joke. Those are funny, this isn't.
That they spent money (probably a fair amount) making it means it's kind of an expensive joke. It's another attempt at normalizing and mainstreaming the term "patriarchy" and is just another attempt to drive a wedge between people, which the Democrats are famous for.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Yo guys, any ideas how to let Netflix know, I'm rather annoyed, without dropping subscription altogether?

There must be a fucking backlash for this shit to stop.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Yo guys, any ideas how to let Netflix know, I'm rather annoyed, without dropping subscription altogether?

There must be a fucking backlash for this shit to stop.
Write them. However, they'll probably just write you off as an angry male trying to protect the patriarchy and ignore it.

Reactions: autoduelist

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
This commercial is from Netflix India, a country that has a long way to go for women's equality compared to the West so the advert should be framed around the target market. It's not meant for us, it's meant for a country that is in the bottom quarter on the gender inequality index. Of course, it's tongue-in-cheek and not going to heal the world but its intentions are much better focused there than they would be if it was shown in the West.

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
They literally spout all the code woke terms of western SJW.

This is not made specifically for India, at all.
it really has, it's from their India channel

goodness, there's even Hindi spoke in it without any English subs lol

Jon Neu

..he neus nothing
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
it really has, it's from their India channel

goodness, there's even Hindi spoke in it without any English subs lol
Yeah, I know it's from their India channel, and I know they speak some Hindi on it.

Still, it's made 100% with the western SJW playbook. There is nothing there that relates to the real problems Indian women face, it's just mansplaining, PMS and smashing the patriarchy jokes.

Reactions: hariseldon

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
Yeah, I know it's from their India channel, and I know they speak some Hindi on it.

Still, it's made 100% with the western SJW playbook. There is nothing there that relates to the real problems Indian women face, it's just mansplaining, PMS and smashing the patriarchy jokes.
so it's still targeting the Indian market then isn't it? they have the internet over there and they're going to be quite au fait with those memes...that's why I said it's tongue-in-cheek

Last edited:

Jon Neu

..he neus nothing
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
so it's still targeting the Indian market then isn't it? they have the internet over there and they're going to be quite au fait with those memes...that's why I said it's tongue-in-cheek
Oh, okay. They have the internet over there.

So basically Netflix is trying to import SJW madness to India, not giving a single fuck about the real problems located on India.

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
Oh, okay. They have the internet over there.

So basically Netflix is trying to import SJW madness to India, not giving a single fuck about the real problems located on India.
well they're investing in the country and creating jobs in Mumbai, so maybe they care a little bit

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
It's definitely aiming for the woke 'humour' that no one ever actually finds funny but far left people like to share on Twitter while feeling morally superior because of, but that doesn't make it a joke. Those are funny, this isn't.
You do the exact same thing on here but from the opposite spectrum so, oh well.

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
Yeah, they care about that good ol' profit and that smelly SJW propaganda.

Indians need to be educated on those 37.5 genders.
they're motivated by profit like all companies, but it's those companies that have built offices, outsourced their labour, or set up direct markets that have helped create the burgeoning middle-class in India that just wasn't there 15 - 20 years ago

it's that middle-class that has the luxury to appreciate your SJW memes and has the disposable income to buy Netflix...and also, of course, to vote in the increasingly, but slowly, democratic political system they have there

if it's Netflix's agenda to make sure a family in a corrugated shanty village on the side of a motorway in Calcutta gets to learn about identity politics, I wouldn't worry that it's going to happen any time soon

Jon Neu

..he neus nothing
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
it's that middle-class that has the luxury to appreciate your SJW memes and has the disposable income to buy Netflix...and also, of course, to vote in the increasingly, but slowly, democratic political system they have there
They are bringing democracy to India.

I'm in tears.

if it's Netflix's agenda to make sure a family in a corrugated shanty village on the side of a motorway in Calcutta gets to learn about identity politics, I wouldn't worry that it's going to happen any time soon
Implying we are critizicing Netflix for their results instead of for their intentions.

Jon Neu

..he neus nothing
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
I think you have problems reading
I think you have problems bringing things that have nothing to do with Netflix to try to make them look better.

And no, it's clear that I was writing about Netflix's perceived intentions
No, you literally said that we shouldn't worry about Netflix efforts of making sure that Identity Politics flourishes in India because "that's not going to happen anytime soon".

Last edited:

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
I think you have problems bringing things that have nothing to do with Netflix to try to make them look better.
I provided some context to the commercial, and have been answering your points one-by one...you didn't like it and now you don't know how to get out of it

Last edited:

Jon Neu

..he neus nothing
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
I provided some context to the commercial, and have been answering your points one-by one...you didn't like it and now you don't know how to get out of it
You haven't provided a context to the commercial, you have tried to frame Netflix with helping democracy in India because some convoluted middle-class bullshit argument you have taken out of your ass.

Dec 15, 2011
But it's a joke!
But but context!!
But I'll happily denigrate an entire continent and it's populace in my blind justification of endorsing shitty divisive agenda from a luxury media corporation!!!

And whilst I'm twisting and turning myself into a pretzel to do this, I'll try to make it look that anyone not doing the same is a bad person.

Last edited:

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
You haven't provided a context to the commercial, you have tried to frame Netflix with helping democracy in India because some convoluted middle-class bullshit argument you have taken out of your ass.
I have. The context of this being an Indian advert. It seems that you really aren't able to engage with me on any level outside of "SJW madness" though and you're stuck in a loop. Now just trying to insult me angrily lol

But it's a joke!
But but context!!
But I'll happily denigrate an entire continent and it's populace in my blond justification of endorsing shitty divisive agenda!!!

And whilst I'm twisting and turning myself into a pretzel to do this, I'll try to make it look that anyone not doing the same is a bad person.
It's not a continent bruv

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
I have. The context of this being an Indian advert. It seems that you really aren't able to engage with me on any level outside of "SJW madness" though and you're stuck in a loop. Now just trying to insult me angrily lol

It's not a continent bruv
Good to know you have no issue with any other aspect of my comment.

All too easy. 😘

Dec 15, 2011
There was nothing there of any substance, just an impotent rage attack. I think I've been on this train with you before, you legged it with a "we're done here". So not interested in speaking to anyone so weak.
It was a blunt summary of your disengenous contribution to this discourse. Your snooty denial is just cowardly avoidance. If you had substance you could address what was said instead of squirming around hoping to dismiss it.

When I use "We're done here" it's a civil way of saying that the ever-decreasing circles of avoidance and deflection are a zero-sum game.

You have offered nothing of substance, but have very much reinforced the mental-gymnastic pretzel-folding farce I already pointed out.

We're done here.

Reactions: funkygunther

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
It was a blunt summary of your disengenous contribution to this discourse. Your snooty denial is just cowardly avoidance. If you had substance you could address what was said instead of squirming around hoping to dismiss it.

When I use "We're done here" it's a civil way of saying that the ever-decreasing circles of avoidance and deflection are a zero-sum game.

You have offered nothing of substance, but have very much reinforced the mental-gymnastic pretzel-folding farce I already pointed out.

We're done here.
Classic “no u” response and a “we’re done here” for good measure. You could, of course, refute literally any thing I’ve said...your way is easier though.