• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gillette (Yes, the razor company) chastises men in new commercial highlighting #metoo movement

Weiji

Jul 20, 2018
If you support Netflix with your money you support this. They aren’t going to stop.

There are alternatives to netflix now and more coming. Find another service and switch.

Reactions: Rran and Ascend

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Let's call it "karma":

From the article:

"The consumer products giant said Tuesday it took an $8 billion write-down on the carrying value of Gillette’s goodwill in the most recent quarter. P&G pinned the blame on currency devaluations since it bought Gillette for $57 billion back in 2005. The company also cited ongoing tough competition in the razor blade category. "

Good will is basically reputation value. Funny that they cited tough competition without any mention of why the competition might be getting tougher.

Reactions: Shodan09 and llien

Weiji

Jul 20, 2018
From the article:

"The consumer products giant said Tuesday it took an $8 billion write-down on the carrying value of Gillette’s goodwill in the most recent quarter. P&G pinned the blame on currency devaluations since it bought Gillette for $57 billion back in 2005. The company also cited ongoing tough competition in the razor blade category. "

Good will is basically reputation value. Funny that they cited tough competition without any mention of why the competition might be getting tougher.
I just finished out my huge box of Costco Gillette razors and am about to be done with the deodorant.

Replaced the razors with schick (which have been great by the way). Should be trying out my arm n hammer deodorant shortly.

It’s actually kinda neat. No more Nike, no more Gillette. I feel like I’m getting to spread my wings and try new things.

Xenon

From the article:

Toxic Capitalism

• LOL
Reactions: NickFire

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019
From the article:

Gillette was facing growing competition from companies that were catering exclusively to men and the high end shaving market, companies like dollar shave club, harry's and others.

Gillette hugely miscalculated the backlash and resentment generated from that "inclusive" commercial. I don't know what Gillette was trying to accomplish by targeting a market group that has less income, less hygiene concern, and interest in appearance. They alienated the group that was more likely to have the income, need, and desire to buy their product to appeal to black men, women.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Gillette was facing growing competition from companies that were catering exclusively to men and the high end shaving market, companies like dollar shave club, harry's and others.

Gillette hugely miscalculated the backlash and resentment generated from that "inclusive" commercial. I don't know what Gillette was trying to accomplish by targeting a market group that has less income, less hygiene concern, and interest in appearance. They alienated the group that was more likely to have the income, need, and desire to buy their product to appeal to black men, women.
Probably hired some grievance studies retard as marketing director. Good lesson for these out of touch megacorps to keep ideologues out of management.

TheExorzist

Jun 17, 2006
As I've mentioned before in the thread I have started using Wilkison after that commercial. No regrets.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017

While I'm not convinced for the drop to be caused by the backlash to the insulting campaign, it's a good coincidence nevertheless.
SW "stars" have also toned down BS, long term, when yet another man hater will jump out spouting nonsense, some managers could remember what happened when the other companies did that.

Last edited:

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
While I'm not convinced for the drop to be caused by the backlash to the insulting campaign, it's a good coincidence nevertheless.
SW "stars" have also toned down BS, long term, when yet another man hater will jump out spouting nonsense, some managers could remember what happened when the other companies did that.
Edit: I change my mind. There is more than enough data here to call it the egg that the chicken laid. They shamed their customers, and six months later lost 8 billion dollars in reputation value. I tried to be objective and give credence to the possibility that other brands skyrocketed in terms of a threat to Gillette by coincidence. But that was stupid on my end. We know what happened here. They called their customers awful people, propped up land whales as needing to slay the day, and just learned a hard lesson on why you need to keep left wing politics out of your products aimed at everyone. Only question is whether they threw a big party to celebrate their pending doom like a certain video game developer who made the same mistake in 2018.

Last edited:

Drake

Oct 16, 2012
It's like companies continue to pander to the loudest, yet smallest crowd's and are surprised when they lose money.

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008
My schick razor purchase went well, but the arm and hammer deodorant was definitely a let down. Not a fan of the smell.

Arm & Hammer Deodorant 4 Ounce Gel Clear Ultra Max Cool Blast (118ml) (6 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QB2OX0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZwHuDbHHNHPWY

Does anyone have a recommendation for powerful gel based deodorant on par with Gillette Sport and a decent smell?
It’s not a gel, but it’s also not a solid. Old spice soft solids are my go to and all smell pretty good. You should really give it a shot, I switched from Gillette gel to this years ago and really don’t miss it.

Edit: This but don’t get it from amazon, it’s cheaper elsewhere: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B6NS87Q/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdo_t1_uwLuDbSGAH49K

Last edited:

Stilton Disco

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2014
UK
They do have models for women and... they cost more.
In fairness, if men suddenly started all buying womens razors the economy of scale and increase in competition would obviously solve that issue within a year.

Maybe that's their plan? Get only effeminate men that won't need to shave as much and dont want to upset anyone as their new audience so they can charge more like they do for women's razors?

Last edited:

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
In fairness, if men suddenly started all buying womens razors the economy of scale and increase in competition would obviously solve that issue within a year.
I don't think so.
Products are quite different.
Women move razors at much higher speed etc.

I think planetary level manufacturer already sells enough for "economy of scale" to kick in.

Last edited:

Stilton Disco

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2014
UK
I don't think so.
Products are quite different.
Women move razors at much higher speed etc.

I think planetary level manufacturer already sells enough for "economy of scale" to kick in.
There's not one 'planetary scale'. Men buy more razors. More get made. The costs are therefore slightly cheaper.

Theres other factors to. Men are much more fiscally conservative and will buy a cheaper product regardless of how it looks as long as it works. Women are more brand loyal and aesthetically driven, meaning they like both more complicated and well designed products and they're easier to take advantage of by companies because of it. This is exacerbated by the fact people are having fewer children and thus have more disposable income.

There's a reason big razor brands are haemorrhaging sales from men to brands like Dollar Shave Club that offer cheap, plain and straightforward razors with a minimum of fuss, while targeting their advertising at women and effeminate men who buy products for reasons other than value for money, and it's tied very heavily to the different behaviours both genders typically display now working against them.

Last edited:

Weiji

Jul 20, 2018

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
Gillette and Old Spice are both owned by PG. I’m trying to avoid them entirely.
Go down the artisinal shaving hole and start buying shaving soaps with a good synthetic brush. 100s of shaves from a single bar.

Or just buy cremo shaving cream.

Last edited: