• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Age: How crazy do you think this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Alright GAF, I'm feeling sleep deprived, but oddly enough, those are when your best (and dumbest) ideas come to you. Now there's been a girl I've had my eye on and might like to date. I don't know her too well, but I'm on friendly terms and have probably established myself as something of an eccentric, which isn't inaccurate. However, as I have about NO experience with relationships of this type and little in the way of social conditioning to set myself up for it, I've decided to do something that is at the same time safe, bold, old-fashioned, and perhaps insane, but undoubtedly fits me.

I am going to write for her a heroic crown of sonnets.

For those of you who slept through literature class, a crown of sonnets is a series of sonnets about a specific subject or theme where the ending line of one sonnet is the first of the next. A heroic crown would be a 15 sonnet series where the final sonnet is each first line in sequence. Difficult stuff right there.

The plan is to handwrite them very carefully in cursive font (after composing them on a computer of course), and then sending them anonymously through the inter-campus mail system. I would be impossible to track, I would be able to find out whether she got them or not since I ride the bus between campuses with her every other day and can just as easily strike up a conversation, and it certainly is novel. The only thing I'm worried about is how it will go over. She SEEMS the type who would go for that romantic secret admirer situation, but I'm kind of flying blind here. The other problem is that this isn't just something you can use every other week on a whim, there has to be some premeditation for it. setting this up and then running it can and will be a rather precarious task.

So I seek GAF's advice. Is this just crazy enough to work, or should I find some other, less flamboyant way to get a little companionship?
I'm still going to try

Wanace

How about just asking her out?

A crown of sonnets? Assuming she even knows what a sonnet is, I doubt she'd appreciate 15 sonnets. Maybe one, but 15? You'd just come off as creepy.

KAOz

Short bus special
I find it kind of creepy.

Wouldn't it be easier, less hassle, and less creepy to just really talk to her?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
"Hey, I haven't got anything to do this week. So I was wondering if you'd like to go watch a movie or something"

It works.

DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE KNOWN AS A CREEPER.

This is something you might do for a girl you're actually dating.

dalyr95

Seems abit much, maybe set them up so she has to answer a question or unlock a clue to get the next one. That way you can tell she's interested, otherwise they might just end up in her junk folder

KAOz

Short bus special
The sonnets would be awesome if you did it with cut-out letters from magazines, carefully glued to a piece of paper! :D

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Women have men groveling and trying to impress them all the time. Be different. Be indifferent. Let her become attracted to you, don't force it.

sk3

Banned
I'm going to go against the crowd and recommend this wholeheartedly, but only for my own pleasure in seeing the outcome.

Creative. Seems better fit for a marriage proposal though. Otherwise unless it's some mind blowing love at first sight type of deal it doesn't seem to be worth the effort just for a date.

Definitely good idea though.

Would you like to receive 15 anonymous sonnet letters? I say stick with the old fashioned way and ask and do this later if you still want to do it.

soqquatto

this is certified 100% stupid. the extremely complex thing sent out anonimously is the stuff nightmares are made of, it screams "crazy creep guy" all over the place. moreover, what if you spend hours on this and then she's not interested in the sonnets or in you?

just ask her out.

also, "something of an eccentric" seems to be an understatement!

Desperado

You've given me an awesome idea for something to do for my girlfriend down the line, but I wouldn't advise it for asking a girl out.

obijkenobi said:
DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE KNOWN AS A CREEPER.

This. It's pretty much a given that the best way to ask a girl out is to just come out and ask. f you need to compose elaborate stalkerish stunts to get her to notice, perhaps she's Just Not That Into You

soqquatto said:
this is certified 100% stupid. the extremely complex thing sent out anonimously is the stuff nightmares are made of, it screams "crazy creep guy" all over the place. moreover, what if you spend hours on this and then she's not interested in the sonnets or in you?

just ask her out.

also, "something of an eccentric" seems to be an understatement!

Worst case is that she lets other girls know about it, and it completely fucks him over too.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
ah a crazy girl age thread without a crazy girl!

hellclerk

MC Safety said:
Save the sonnets, and just ask her to get some ice cream or see a movie or go to a party.
unfortunately, where we go to school is pretty isolated, i have no access to a car or other reliable form of transport, and pretty much anything like that would have to be either preplanned or at the school cafeterias, which isn't too savory. basically, when it comes to any kind of spontaneity other than renting a movie from the library (which, by the way is VERY transparent, not to mention my room is tiny), i'm boned.

dalyr95 said:
Seems abit much, maybe set them up so she has to answer a question or unlock a clue to get the next one. That way you can tell she's interested, otherwise they might just end up in her junk folder
yeah, that's what i was planning on, maybe getting ahold of a few flowers or something like that once i know i've gotten her attention.

but seriously guys, CREEPER? there was a time when any young man worth his salt knew how to write sonnets if he wanted any attention from the opposite sex, but CREEPER? for writing poetry of attraction? you people have no culture...

soqquatto

another good idea might be discovering where she's sleeping and covering walls, floor and ceiling of her room in tiny spidery writing. I guess 15 sonnets won't be enough, I suggest you to write down something kalevala-sized and then fill in with some rambling about the world order. you'll have her in the sack in no time!

doomed1 said:
but seriously guys, CREEPER? there was a time when any young man worth his salt knew how to write sonnets if he wanted any attention from the opposite sex, but CREEPER? for writing poetry of attraction? you people have no culture...

And there was a time them colored folk had seperate but equal restrooms and that doctors bled out their patients to let the evil spirits loose. Like writing elaborate sonnets for women you don't even know well, those times have passed

doomed1 said:
So you're a fucking creep and you're too weird to put up with.

Personally I would save them until you have someone then they would be a romantic gesture, but hey life is about making mistakes and learning from them. So go for it and see what happens, it could work.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
obijkenobi said:
Yup. This isn't a good way to start things. This is what you do for a birthday or anniversary when you're together.

MC Safety

doomed1 said:
unfortunately, where we go to school is pretty isolated, i have no access to a car or other reliable form of transport, and pretty much anything like that would have to be either preplanned or at the school cafeterias, which isn't too savory. basically, when it comes to any kind of spontaneity other than renting a movie from the library (which, by the way is VERY transparent, not to mention my room is tiny), i'm boned.

yeah, that's what i was planning on, maybe getting ahold of a few flowers or something like that once i know i've gotten her attention.

Honestly, I think the people here are trying to do you a genuine favor. You asked, and I think the masses have been very good in answering.

soqquatto

doomed1 said:
there was a time when any young man worth his salt knew how to write sonnets if he wanted any attention from the opposite sex, but CREEPER? for writing poetry of attraction? you people have no culture...

there was a time when dragging a woman by her hair after having bashed in her head with a club was considered winning her heart. different times, different values.

what about culture? would you want to be, for example, a cicisbeo? nothing more noble and pure than that, and hey, there was a time when that was the best thing you could envision. romance, poetry are all good but not in the way you're figuring things right now.

but go ahead and report here afterwards, we're always in the mood for a laugh.

hellclerk

MC Safety said:
Honestly, I think the people here are trying to do you a genuine favor. You asked, and I think the masses have been very good in answering.
well, i guess you're right, i DID ask...

it makes me want to succeed even more.

though i am still curious how writing what amounts to secret admirer letters to someone is creepy. i GREW UP with that sort of thing. it's a piece of popular culture ingrained into our media lives from a young age. Angry Beavers and Hey Arnold are just a couple of the cartoons i used to watch that had the obligatory secret admirer episode. seriously guys?

doomed1 said:

though i am still curious how writing what amounts to secret admirer letters to someone is creepy. i GREW UP with that sort of thing. it's a piece of popular culture ingrained into our media lives from a young age. Angry Beavers and Hey Arnold are just a couple of the cartoons i used to watch that had the obligatory secret admirer episode. seriously guys?
Joke thread. Joke poster.

doomed1 said:

Why do people post girl age threads and not listen to anyone? Especially when every post is either telling you not to do this, or mocking you for thinking about it. Hey Arnold and Angry Beavers is not the example you want to follow for romancing women!

This can only end badly for you. If she likes someone else, she's going to hope they are coming from that person. If she has no idea who you are, she'll think you're creepy for doing all this for someone you basically don't know or have spent any amount of time talking too. If you are determined to do this, at least befriend her in a meaningful way and hope you get to the point where she has some romantic interest in you.

If you're determined to do this, at least bump the topic when the horrible backfire occurs.

Binabik15

Yeah, and just like Donald Duck I can run on thin air until I look down!

He must be a joke account, BUT:

Imagine he strikes up a conversation on the bus with her and asks her out with a "spontaneous" poem. Still creepy?

Just ask her out. Use your feelings to help drive your creativity if you will, but the sonnet-writing is not going to impress her so much as it will creep her out, especially coming from someone she doesn't know.

Get to know her better and then write her something.

EDIT: Oh wait, you already asked her and she rejected you.

Yeah, bail out. Harassment isn't any more endearing because you're gifted with words.

Salazar

If you're set on a poetic gift, make it a ribald cento.

Any case, I've been in a psychiatric institution. You don't know crazy.

Polari

doomed1 said:

Because only grade schoolers have or are "secret admirers". That's why that shit is in kids shows.

hellclerk

Night_Trekker said:
Just ask her out. Use your feelings to help drive your creativity if you will, but the sonnet-writing is not going to impress her so much as it will creep her out, especially coming from someone she doesn't know.

Get to know her better and then write her something.

EDIT: Oh wait, you already asked her and she rejected you.

Yeah, bail out. Harassment isn't any more endearing because you're gifted with words.
wait, wat? i haven't asked anyone out here. i've also known her causally for a couple of years. only this year have i, you know, gotten the balls to do anything significant about it. i've been trying to come up with a way that i could appease my rather passive nature, my creativity, and my attraction.

so, i'm curious now. why exactly is this stalkerish? is being complemented supposed to be disdained now? i don't think i ever got a clear answer...

Dabanton

People don't actually believe these threads do they? i always see them as Gaf members looking for attention.

And we all know the easiest way to pull in lot of posters is a girl age thread.

The sillier the better.

Because she is not aware of your feeling this will be coming out of the blue to her, so when she suddenly gets this series of poems that will probably feel quite full on that someone she doesn't really know has gone to the trouble to do that.

But you have said you get a feeling that she will respond well to it, so give it a go, you know her better than we do, all we can do is advise from an outsider point of view.

Good luck

hey man, go for it!

she'll read it to some asshole and laugh before she throws the paper out the window and bam he's in your chica. You'll find it tattered and wet in the morning dew after many a college student hath read it and chuckled with pity for the anonymous flake who created a sonnet. Don't come whining to GAF about it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom