• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for the actual females here: How did you get into gaming? Was it an older brother, a father, a boyfriend, etc? I'm genuinely interested in this.

For example I can safely say that I got my own little sister into gaming and anime. I always wanted a second player to play with in certain games like Super Mario Bros so I taught her. I remember the times where she did not even know how to jump and ran straight into Goombas nonstop. I berated her for it, but that was childish bullying on my part.

She doesn't play much games now but she loves the Pokemon series, for example. If there's Co-Op in a certain game she loves that too.

Both of my previous ex-girlfriends were casual gamers as well.

I'd also love a list of favorite games/genres, too. Lame conversation starter, I'm sure but we can't talk about boob sweat all the time here, right?

Yackie said:
The struggle with boob sweat is never really over. Especially when you have huge tits like I do. They're a blessing and a curse really.
Oh my...

coldvein

Banned
in my experience, it's only been okay for males to openly talk about gaming within like.. the last five years. girls gonna have to wait another decade or so.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Boob sweat? Can't be worse than ball sweat... Actually my guy says it really isn't. At least your boobs don't stick to your legs (arms) and you don't have to stick your hands down there and peel them off, according to him.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Khold said:
i wish I could more easily meet/identify NeoGAF-like girls IRL. heck finding guys as into the neogaf stuff (gaming, etc) is hard. All of them are mainly Call of Duty Madden only and think they have a deep taste in games because they played Mass Effect.

hey, i married a gaffer. just keep sending out PMs, one of them is sure to bite!

Yackie

I miss Dragona.

coldvein said:
let's talk about how summer is ending and BOOB SWEAT is finally over!

The struggle with boob sweat is never really over. Especially when you have huge tits like I do. They're a blessing and a curse really.

coldvein

Banned
Yackie said:
I miss Dragona.

i've got a fantastic story about huge tits and boob sweat, but i'm going to refrain from sharing it here with you.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Yackie said:

at least we have a good excuse to wear low-cut shirts in the summer!

Aeana

spindashing said:
I have a question for the actual females here: How did you get into gaming? Was it an older brother, a father, a boyfriend, etc? I'm genuinely interested in this.

For example I can safely say that I got my own little sister into gaming and anime. I always wanted a second player to play with in certain games like Super Mario Bros so I taught her. I remember the times where she did not even know how to jump and ran straight into Goombas nonstop. I berated her for it, but that was childish bullying on my part.

She doesn't play much games now but she loves the Pokemon series, for example. If there's Co-Op in a certain game she loves that too.

I'd also love a list of favorite games/genres, too. Lame conversation starter, I'm sure but we can't talk about boob sweat all the time here, right?
I don't understand why people automatically assume that girls can only enter into the gaming hobby through some enthusiast guy. I know you probably didn't mean it that way, but I do find it somewhat insulting in general.

I got into gaming because my friends were into it when I was younger, and the advertising for it was also inescapable where I grew up (Japan), probably the same as most people.

spindashing said:
The first game I remember playing was Tetris. My dad likes gadgets, so I had a
Cd-i
, a computer, and a GB pocket pretty early on. I also loved to go to the arcade, grab a stool and play Galaga and Golden Axe. I think I was just drawn to them.

My dad has a history of picking out technology that's doomed to fail. We have a Game Gear, a Neo-Geo pocket color, a Laser Disc player, and some other stuff. The CD-i really takes the cake, though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
Have you ever gone into a Gamestop looking for a game and had the employee ask if you were buying it for your boyfriend?
Nerds can be awesomely condescending at times.
That's pretty messed up. :/

What the hell is with all the boob sweat talk? I've never really had a problem with it though.

spindashing said:

Hmm. My friend from years ago was a casual gamer, a girl actually, and she had a PSOne so I would sometimes use it and then when I moved I really got into it because of my friends and it kind of took off from there.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
spindashing said:
I have a question for the actual females here: How did you get into gaming? Was it an older brother, a father, a boyfriend, etc? I'm genuinely interested in this
Nobody. My brother was a gamer back then and I used to love watching him play. He never forced me into it or got me anything until I asked for a gaming console of my own in 1997.

Zoe

Yackie said:
For real? What did she do? I missed what happened, one day she was here, and the next I heard she was gone.

She was sharing her mod account with her boyfriend/partner.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
I don't understand why people automatically assume that girls can only enter into the gaming hobby through some enthusiast guy. I know you probably didn't mean it that way, but I do find it somewhat insulting in general.

I got into gaming because my friends were into it when I was younger, and the advertising for it was also inescapable where I grew up (Japan), probably the same as most people.
Wait, are you Japanese or did you just grow up in Japan?

This is an actual megaton.

Kinyou

lurk3ced.gif

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Aeana said:
As for being recognized as a girl, some people still think I'm a guy despite my tag and plenty of information to the opposite. I guess some people just aren't very attentive. Shrug. Sometimes it is better if you blend in as one of the guys in geek communities.
Tags are misleading, mine indicates that I'm not already sparkling. *Sparkle*

Aeana said:

I don't think everyone does. My gf and her best friend grew up playing tons of games, and she's a bigger gamer than I am still. Everyone does get introduced to it by someone though. I got introduced by the older guy who lived in the bottom half of the house we rented when I was little. My gf got it from her dad. Her friend got it from her mom.

It's always interesting to be how girls handle their breasts differently an ex-girlfriend of mine was in the DDD/E range and she constantly complained about back pain, but my current girlfriend is in the same ballpark and I haven't heard a peep about it.

AbsoluteZero said:
It's always interesting to be how girls handle their breasts differently an ex-girlfriend of mine was in the DDD/E range and she constantly complained about back pain, but my current girlfriend is in the same ballpark and I haven't heard a peep about it.
I've read that a lot of it is due to ill-fitting bras redistributing too much weight to your shoulders, but I've never had back pain because of this particular reason.

I'm trying to get my niece into gaming and other nerdy pursuits. I think I have her hooked with Mario. Trouble is my nephew (her brother) has a DS and she has nothing. She only gets to play his every once in a while.

I would buy her one but I'm poor. :( Also her twerp of a brother would probably take hers since he broke the touch screen on his. Wish I still had my old consoles that I could give to her.

My entry into gaming: Original GameBoy. Kirby's Dream Land and Tetris.

Also. Can we has girlgaf nostalgia time?

327728685_0a6758f35b_o.jpg

Aeana said:
I apologize if I came off that way. I know that a male influence isn't always the case; I more or less posed that question in that manner due to my own experiences.

Yackie

spindashing said:

I got into gaming as a kid because playing games are fun. My friends played them, I had fun playing them, got an NES for my birthday when I was 7, the rest is history.

spindashing said:

In the case of my girlfriend, she inherited my Electric Blue DS when the DS Lite came out along with a copy of Animal Crossing as a gift, and she was hooked. Upgraded her to the Pink DS Lite when it came out, the Pink DSi when it came out, and will do the same when the Pink 3DS hits the US mainland.

I'm sure she played games before, but the DS is got her moreso into play videogames.

But she plays titles that are definitely girl-oriented...Style Savvy, Princess Debut, etc.

Edit: Here's hoping Style Savvy 2/Girls Mode 2/Whatever it's called gets a release in the US.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Charoncaori said:
I've read that a lot of it is due to ill-fitting bras redistributing too much weight to your shoulders, but I've never had back pain because of this particular reason.

Every single female I know who has gotten a bra fitting from a custom / luxury bra store has came out with significantly different band/cup sizes than they bought at chain bra stores. In most cases generally higher cups / lower bands.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm sort of watching this thread with a sick fascination... I think inherently, there is going to be a problem when females try to establish their sexuality on a male-dominated message board, and that probably speaks to a larger problem.

That being said, it's also nice seeing how girls think - people (both male and female) tend to be a bit more candid on the internet, anonymity and all that.

AbsoluteZero said:
In the case of my girlfriend, she inherited my Electric Blue DS when the DS Lite came out along with a copy of Animal Crossing as a gift, and she was hooked. Upgraded her to the Pink DS Lite when it came out, the Pink DSi when it came out, and will do the same when the Pink 3DS hits the US mainland.

That is a great idea! Time to send the gf a package.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Charoncaori said:

yeah this happened to me. my breasts got slightly larger since the last time i'd had a bra fitting and i had no idea. all of a sudden i was uncomfortable all the time and getting back pain but i kind of ignored it because i wasn't sure why. then when i was visiting the US this summer i got another bra fitting at VS and surprise -- i was wearing the wrong size. so i got some new ones and i feel much much better now :)

Hylian7

MThanded said:
Let's not get crazy here. No good can come of this.
I can see where you're coming from, but I kind of disagree. You generally know people's genders in real life, granted, that is a bit different from posting on GAF. I think it would help with a lot of problems that GAF has sometimes. I always hear those stories of people getting banned for incorrectly referring to a transgendered person with a pronoun (as in, which is correct "he" or "she"? Obviously, saying "it" is bannable, and that's understandable).

Stumpokapow said:
Every single female I know who has gotten a bra fitting from a custom / luxury bra store has came out with significantly different band/cup sizes than they bought at chain bra stores. In most cases generally higher cups / lower bands.

Yeah, I know the girlfriend has recently been shopping at the boutiques, though I don't know long she had been doing so before hand.

While we're on the matter, she buys some really pretty bras, usually prettier than the top that covers it. It's a shame I'm the only one that ever gets to see them.

Stumpokapow said:
I actually went to get fitted at a proper, non-chain store pretty recently (now that I live in a big city) and this is exactly what happened. Victoria's Secret can suck it. D= I used to go there because I had no choice and it was literally the only store around that sold bras. Never going back.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The no bra, no pants thing is totally true for my wife.

I don't know how she does it, but we'll walk into the house, and before I have the door closed and locked behind me, she's down to her t-shirt and undies. Shoes, pants, bra, all off.

Is it some kind of woman ninja magic that lets you guys disrobe in the blink of an eye, and can I learn it? I barely have my tennis shoes off and she's sitting on the bed chillin'.

Awesome Animals said:
That is a great idea! Time to send the gf a package.

Don't forget a Pink DSiXL is dropping this month if you think she'd prefer a XL.

metallic_rose_pink_dsi_xl.jpg

She wasn't crazy about the DSi because she's more into the pastel-ish pink tones over the hot pink stuff (Which thankfully the 3DS is fixing), but she appreciated it all the same. Carries it around in a Tangled-themed case.

I think she gave her mother the Pink DS Lite when I gave her the DSi--she told me she likes to play Crosswords DS and a few other titles.

She doesn't have much of an interest in the 3DS due to it's stunted library (while there's at least a half-dozen killer titles for me, none are interesting to her) Animal Crossing's release should change that. And as I edited into my post earlier...Style Savvy 2 is her most-wanted title at the moment...I need to start a letter-writing campaign to Reggie for it.

Charoncaori said:
This is so true a lot of women wear the wrong bras and I was one of them. I finally decided to go to a store and they measured me and I was way off.

Charoncaori said:
I haven't had this happen to me, but I have been asked if I was buying a game for another person.
When I was at PAX, some guy started talking to me and, after I had shown him the tourney medals I'd won, he asked if I was there to accompany friends. =/

at a LAN party event in my city...

1) I didn't have to pay the $20 fee to participate, because I'm a girl.

2) I got FILMED wihtout my permission playing guitar hero, because it was such a significant event and was apparantely bringing the lols for this individual.

Hylian7 said:
I can see where you're coming from, but I kind of disagree. You generally know people's genders in real life, granted, that is a bit different from posting on GAF. I think it would help with a lot of problems that GAF has sometimes. I always hear those stories of people getting banned for incorrectly referring to a transgendered person with a pronoun (as in, which is correct "he" or "she"? Obviously, saying "it" is bannable, and that's understandable).

I usually refer to transgendered people by the pronoun matching the gender said people wish to be acknowledged as. You get the usual smart-ass response (some guy outside GAF kept insisting on asking me why I was referring to Kayopolice as "she", but clearly he was just being a douche), but I don't think anyone would be genuinely offended by that.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I learned a lot about bra fitting from this BBC special about girls with huge cans. It was heartbreaking, there were all these beautiful pale English girls with luscious breasts but they hated them. I just wanted to give them all hugs.

Borgnine said:
I learned a lot about bra fitting from this BBC special about girls with huge cans. It was heartbreaking, there were all these beautiful pale English girls with luscious breasts but they hated them. I just wanted to give them all hugs.

Thankfully the current girlfriend loves her's as much as I do. The ex I mentioned earlier had a reduction a few months back...I'm not a shallow enough guy to break off a relationship because of that but man would have that been depressing.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
AbsoluteZero said:
Thankfully the current girlfriend loves her's as much as I do. The ex I mentioned earlier had a reduction a few months back...I'm not a shallow enough guy to break off a relationship because of that but man would have that been depressing.

Can I hug your girlfriend?

In an anonymous setting like this board for instance, are you guys offended when people refer to you in the masculine? Like him, or his post. I wouldn't think anyone would but apparently some girls I know don't like the default being a male pronoun. Thoughts?

Edit: Apparently I can't read and some discussion has already gone there. Well ignore then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom