• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SteveWinwood said:
In an anonymous setting like this board for instance, are you guys offended when people refer to you in the masculine? Like him, or his post. I wouldn't think anyone would but apparently some girls I know don't like the default being a male pronoun. Thoughts?
Not at all. I actually rather not correct them because I don't really see the point in being offended about it and sometimes that correction can come off as condescending or trying to be an attention whore. At least to me it does.

deadmeadow88 said:
at a LAN party event in my city...

1) I didn't have to pay the $20 fee to participate, because I'm a girl.

2) I got FILMED wihtout my permission playing guitar hero, because it was such a significant event and was apparantely bringing the lols for this individual.
You got in for free? Wow, that's strange. I think that's only happened to me once... I visited a new arcade/play lounge that opened up recently and stayed for a few hours to blow off some steam. Maybe it was because it was the middle of the week, near closing, or because I'd never been there before and they wanted me to come back, but they didn't charge me full price. It did make me feel better, though.

leadbelly

Banned
Yackie said:
The struggle with boob sweat is never really over.

lol

This sounds like some very strange super-hero movie.

"Boob Girl, the portal to the other dimension has been closed. The sweat monster has been trapped in an inter-dimensional prison! It looks like the fight is over."

"For now it is, but I'm afraid the struggle with boob sweat is never really over."

Londa

Banned
interesting.. I remember how a girl thread was tried twice and they got shut down both times. I even have a pm of the user explaining the situation. (was a long read)

edit: here it is. hope this isn't posted yet.

Munch said:
Dearest Girl-GAF

I apologize that this is a very general letter, but considering there is about 25 of us known, sending each and every one of you a personal PM would be...tedious. Besides, the message would have been the same for all of you. Some of you might know that our thread, the "Official All-Purpose Girl-GAF" thread was closed.

What some of you might not know, is why.

It came to the attenion of one of the moderators that our thread was too broad. We didn't have one topic and stick to it and apparently this "sucks the life out of" the forum. Some of us have noted that Trans-GAF, Gay-GAF and Australian-GAF have all purpose threads that have remained open for many to post on. We feel that this is extremely unfair and we're not asking that those threads be closed but that we have the same opprotunity to have our very own thread for us.
Unfortunately, this requires us to make a new thread, as our thread will not be re-opened. This requires us to have a topic planned out and to respond only to that topic and hopefully we'll be allowed to stray off topic sometimes. Again, this isn't a favorable situation but we feel that for our voices to be heard and to have a place we can call our own, we will have to play by the rules even if all the posters are not asked to.
Please join us in our new thread about sexism in video games (might toss in comics just to get opinions on that as well). Even if you do not have a strong feeling one way or the other, it is to send a message to the moderators that we're pissed off and that we do have a strong voice on this forum. We really need the assistance of every girl/woman on GAF and any allies you can think of.

Please join our cause.

Thanks

Hey_monkey, Inanna, and Munch

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Figboy79 said:
The no bra, no pants thing is totally true for my wife.

I don't know how she does it, but we'll walk into the house, and before I have the door closed and locked behind me, she's down to her t-shirt and undies. Shoes, pants, bra, all off.

Is it some kind of woman ninja magic that lets you guys disrobe in the blink of an eye, and can I learn it? I barely have my tennis shoes off and she's sitting on the bed chillin'.

Is this really true? It's also been said in the OP, in one of the frog pictures. Do girls really do this? Somehow I've never heard of anyone doing this.

daffy

Banned
Any interest in a Community thread where girls organize multiplayer games? There could be a schedule where certain games are played.. Just whenever, maybe later this fall.

I wouldn't mind making it if there's interest. I don't know many American/UK girls on PSN, just a bunch of French bitches farting around...

Nymeria88

ChocolateCupcakes said:
This is so true a lot of women wear the wrong bras and I was one of them. I finally decided to go to a store and they measured me and I was way off.

I know I wear the wrong size, but If I go get fitted I am worried that many stores wont carry my size. I already have trouble finding them now. And they NEVER make cute bras in a size bigger than a C. :(

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Zoe said:
She was sharing her mod account with her boyfriend/partner.

That wasn't the only reason she got demoded though.

Nymeria88 said:
I know I wear the wrong size, but If I go get fitted I am worried that many stores wont carry my size. I already have trouble finding them now. And they NEVER make cute bras in a size bigger than a C. :(

But isn't comfort REALLY more important than appearance? I don't want to make any assumptions.

Londa

Banned
9120493.jpg

I know that feel. lol

but not all the time, just sometimes

Zoe

RatskyWatsky said:
Is this really true? It's also been said in the OP, in one of the frog pictures. Do girls really do this? Somehow I've never heard of anyone doing this.

First thing when I get home. Don't even stop to pet the cat.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Nymeria88 said:

I'm no bra-ologist, but in the long run, wearing the wrong bra will probably mess up your boobs. You probably don't want messed up boobs.

Nymeria88

A Human Becoming said:
But isn't comfort REALLY more important than appearance? I don't want to make any assumptions.

Yes it is, and I think I am only one size too small, and that happened recently. Most of it is I am to lazy to go to the specialty store. The mall does not carry much over DD. And they are expensive. I don't feel two bra's are worth $80 or more.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Erm, without speaking for anything that happened a year or two ago, I think it's pretty evident that we've had trouble coming up with a good way to address sub-community stuff in general.

We've had trouble with ethnic minority threads before. We've had trouble with subcommunities in gaming. We've had trouble trying to migrate frequently bumped subcommunity threads into Community to help clear things up. We've had trouble having even levels of moderation in subcommunities that mods aren't members of. Obviously it's tricky. We try our best.

I don't know which mod locked the previous thread or exactly why, but the sentiment being spoken to is that we don't really want to take discussion away from more specific threads and dumping it into subcommunity armored compounds. No one should feel like they can't make a thread on a certain subject. It's like the megathread versus new threads for new news thing in the gaming side. Like, it's a bad thing when someone thinks of themselves as a part of [X]-GAF instead of GAF as a whole, right? That's the basic struggle with this kind of thing.

I'm not locking this thread because as best as I can tell it's in a good spirit and doesn't pose any trouble. I haven't talked to any other mods since this thread started. Some other mods might disagree with me now or at some later point depending on how the thread goes. If the thread does eventually end, it won't be because of a boy's club or trying to tread on anyone's toes, it'll be because we couldn't figure out a good way to deal with it properly.

I'd appreciate it if the thread tried to avoid meta-GAF conversation about previous girl threads, do girl threads work, would a girl thread work on GAF, what do mods think of this, mods that, catcalling other threads or posters, or anything else like that, and if there's any reaction to this specific post I'd appreciate it if it was made to the support email or to any mod in PM rather than being an in-thread reply. :)

Nymeria88

On another note, I hope this does not come out poorly but at PAX I was surprised at the lack of "normal" looking girls. Most the ones I saw were cosplaying or looked like the stereotypical anime nerd. I almost felt out of place because I did not look nerdy enough...

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Nymeria88 said:
On another note, I hope this does not come out poorly but at PAX I was surprised at the lack of "normal" looking girls. Most the ones I saw were cosplaying or looked like the stereotypical anime nerd. I almost felt out of place because I did not look nerdy enough...

Was this Prime or East?

spindashing said:
Alot of the guy gaffers on here have large chests too, don't be sexist!

Moobs suck man. :( In sixth grade I was told I should wear a bro.

Nymeria88 said:

My girlfriend kinda grew out of it. I don't think she was ever really into Cosplay but I met her via the message board of a local anime con back in 2005, so she definitely was, and still is into anime.

It's just the convention scene we both kind of fell out of. Being charged admission to most of 'em doesn't help our enthusiasm.

Now that I think about it the new volumes of the Sailor Moon manga should be arriving at her house today. I didn't tell her I was buying them, so she should be pleasantly surprised.

Londa said:
Hi spin, what brings you here? lol
Boobs

Lol. No, I was curious as to why a new Girl Age thread was created. I had no idea the previous one was closed and since there's such a nice atmosphere here from what I can see, I might as well stay and learn some new things from the female community here.

A Human Becoming said:
Moobs suck man. :( In sixth grade I was told I should wear a bro.
I know that feel. Before I lost a lot of weight, it was pretty bad.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I'm a bit weird with bra sizes, I like to go a cup size smaller than my own size, not sure if that's bad but I hate bras that make your boobs too jiggly wiggly. Only do that with full cup bras or sports bra, otherwise I'd end up getting boobs on top of boobs, and that just looks extremely unattractive and uncomfortable.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Nymeria88 said:

Hrm, I don't know how to touch on this subject without sounding misogynistic, but I'll try.

I think that there are a lot of girls who are into stereotypically nerdy things (Anime, games, star wars, scifi/fantasy etc), and they sort of have established an identity around these passions. On top of that, the ones with low self esteem may have been praised or idolized for these passions, and that might have fuelled even more dedication to the 'scene'.

Or, maybe they just like dressing up. I know I do! I am going as Little Wayne for Halloween this year.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:
Boobs

Lol. No, I was curious as to why a new Girl Age thread was created. I had no idea the previous one was closed and since there's such a nice atmosphere here from what I can see, I might as well stay and learn some new things from the female community here.

I welcome you into girl-gaf cause I'm biased.
You are cool with me ;D

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Nymeria88 said:
This past PRIME. It was my first PAX.

Okay, then I can't comment since I've only gone to the past two Easts. From what I could tell there seemed to be a mix of what you're describing.

spindashing said:

Even after losing over fifty pounds I still have them. I need to do chest exercises.

Entropia

No One Remembers
cloudwalking said:
hey, i married a gaffer. just keep sending out PMs, one of them is sure to bite!

I've always thought the idea of randomly sending a girl on here a PM would be quite off-putting.

About that pants part. I understand that girls' trousers/pants/jeans are lot more "shape-friendly" than guys. But I know what happens to me if I wear even slightly tighter pants or jeans around the waist. My stomach starts feeling funny and poop troubles start brewing. How do girls cope with this?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Londa said:
interesting.. I remember how a girl thread was tried twice and they got shut down both times. I even have a pm of the user explaining the situation. (was a long read)

edit: here it is. hope this isn't posted yet.
I remember that, most girls stopped posting after that, though. I don't think Munch or Hey-Monkey post here any more, at least I haven't seen them post. I was in touch with Munch for a bit on another forum, and we did a few podcasts together but I haven't heard from either since then.

Londa said:
I welcome you into girl-gaf cause I'm biased.
You are cool with me ;D
Thank you, kindly!

cooljeanius said:
Do you two know each other IRL or something?
No. We know each other from the Black Culture thread and I guess we've become really cool from that.

A Human Becoming said:
Even after losing over fifty pounds I still have them. I need to do chest exercises.
I too am in need of more body work. I've recently got back into the gym after meeting someone who actually went from morbidly obese to a chiseled Adonis; but after a week of his training my limbs are sore as hell.

Satch

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
May I ask why? Are they uncomfortable?
for me, it's not that bras are uncomfortable, it's just that it feels better to set the twins free

when you've got on a good bra that fits your breast size, you probably won't notice it throughout the day. if your bra is distracting you, you need to get a better bra!

daffy

Banned
FTH said:
Any interest in a Community thread where girls organize multiplayer games? There could be a schedule where certain games are played.. Just whenever, maybe later this fall.

I wouldn't mind making it if there's interest. I don't know many American/UK girls on PSN, just a bunch of French bitches farting around...
looks not. disregard then.

Check out these cool Tomb Raider earrings:

tumblr_lrks4htN0t1qkq7tbo1_500.jpg

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm not a girl but I have been in a successful relationship with one for 7 years so I may pop in and out of this thread.

On an unrelated note my GF and my mom have birthdays 1 day apart and they are both next weekend... 0_o

Nymeria88

Kinitari said:
Hrm, I don't know how to touch on this subject without sounding misogynistic, but I'll try.

I think that there are a lot of girls who are into stereotypically nerdy things (Anime, games, star wars, scifi/fantasy etc), and they sort of have established an identity around these passions. On top of that, the ones with low self esteem may have been praised or idolized for these passions, and that might have fuelled even more dedication to the 'scene'.

Or, maybe they just like dressing up. I know I do! I am going as Little Wayne for Halloween this year.

I am not much into Anime, I will watch it with others but I do not seek it out. That could be part of why I was surprised by this. I expected it, but I expected more of a blend. Or maybe that was the only sort of girls I noticed. I did not go around evaluating all the people I saw.

Satchwar said:
for me, it's not that bras are uncomfortable, it's just that it feels better to set the twins free

It's funny you put it so bluntly, because my girlfriend just IMed me last night with the same sentiment about how she can't wait to get home from school/work to take it off.

MThanded said:
I'm not a girl but I have been in a successful relationship with one for 7 years so I may pop in and out of this thread.

We'll be hitting 6 years this November.

Internet high five!

I hope this thread stays open. It had a rocky start but seems to be going somewhere now.

So back to boob sweat for quick moment, I might have a solution for you. Try putting some body powder on before you strap them in. I've been using it to prevent crack and ball sweat and recently my wife has started to use it for her boobs with great success.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Londa said:
He is one of my sexy men slaves ;D

All sillyiness aside, I know him from blackgaf and he is a fb friend.
Londa you changed your avatar. When people change their avatars I get extremely confused. I really need to post in the black-gaf thread sometimes. I have been MIA in there.

AbsoluteZero said:
Now that I think about it the new volumes of the Sailor Moon manga should be arriving at her house today. I didn't tell her I was buying them, so she should be pleasantly surprised.
Ooh I just got those the other day. I haven't read the first volumes in AGES! They're so silly. I'm really glad I finally have good-quality versions for my collection. The old mixx ones were literally falling apart. I'm also gonna check out a local launch event tomorrow. I love Sailor Moon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom