• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RawPower

Banned
I'd have no problem being a stay at home dad. I'm sure I'd get a lot of 'you're a faggot' and 'queer' accusations thrown my way, but I'm already kind of used to that by now.

I'll field this question to you all.

How do you feel about the man staying at home and being the housekeeper while the wife is the "breadwinner" so to speak? Personally, I feel they should have the option, at the very least.

If it works for them, then why should it matter to anyone else?

if you smile at a guy and he doesnt respond with a smile or a "hey" does he come off as a jerk?

Assuming this is someone I don't already know. And that this is an "across the room" sort of thing.

He comes off as uninterested, which is his prerogative.

If I walk up to a guy, make eye contact, and say hi, I expect a "hi" back, with returned eye contact. If at that point you walk away, again, uninterested.

If someone takes the time to close distance between you and engage you somehow, acknowledge before you brush off.

Otherwise, yeah, you're a jerk.

RawPower

Banned
Here's another question.

Why are so many girls unwilling to even make eye contact when I pass them in the hallway, on the street, in the store, or wherever else? They always just seem to tilt their heads downward or pretend I'm not there. Am I doing something wrong?

Zoe

Here's another question.

Why are so many girls unwilling to even make eye contact when I pass them in the hallway, on the street, in the store, or wherever else? They always just seem to tilt their heads downward or pretend I'm not there. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you sure they're making eye contact with everyone else? Doing that takes a lot of confidence, especially towards strangers.

Thinking about RawPower's earlier question again while I was making dinner for my family just now...it actually reinforced the notion that I am perfectly ok with being a stay-at-home dad.

Besides, I make a bitchin' oven-baked mac and cheese.

RawPower

Banned
Are you sure they're making eye contact with everyone else? Doing that takes a lot of confidence, especially towards strangers.

I don't really pay attention. But as far as I can tell, they're not making 'eye contact' but they're not exactly turning their heads away either. I know I shouldn't care about this stuff, but this shit fucking hurts. D:

My best friend pretty much dislikes women other than her mother, her sister, me, and her one other female friend. It's weird, but I think it's because her social circle was largely comprised of men throughout her school years.

I feel reaaally uncomfortable when the subject comes up, but I never say anything, preferring to keep my feelings pent up inside where they can fester quietly as a mental illness.

And yes, Fassbender is teh hotness. Have you seen Shame? It's, uh, pretty good.

I was hostile towards girls in highschool despite having many as friends due to the ones in elementary/middle school giving me shit for being a tomboy.

My best friend pretty much dislikes women other than her mother, her sister, me, and her one other female friend. It's weird, but I think it's because her social circle was largely comprised of men throughout her school years.

I feel reaaally uncomfortable when the subject comes up, but I never say anything, preferring to keep my feelings pent up inside where they can fester quietly as a mental illness.

And yes, Fassbender is teh hotness. Have you seen Shame? It's, uh, pretty good.

My social group in high school and now mostly comprises of guys. I have no idea why though, I have no issue with girls. It just kinda happened that way... It really depends on the people, but I guess most of the people I share common interests with are guys. Its slowly evening out though, but for a while I got really nervous around girls ("aah, I want to have female friends, need to impress them to become friends with them. What do we talk about?!" Type crap).

Also Fassbender is at his sexiest when he's not speaking English.

I was hostile towards girls in highschool despite having many as friends due to the ones in elementary/middle school giving me shit for being a tomboy.

On most occasions, I'm not much of a fan of my own gender. But that's generally because of what comes out of our mouths and/or what we put on our bodies.

I expect more of women, and I very rarely see my gender - as a collective - live up to my expectations.

Good lord. And the response!

This is why I've had to take up boxing.

We have it pretty good and women still want to pull that shit and or think the fight for our equality is done. Nope. Still work to do and still stuff to keep where it's at. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

I know that feel sis. Like this fb status I saw in datingage:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36305585&postcount=5207

Women like this just make me furious.

5uG6c.gif

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I have many male and female friends, probably because I'm not a very judgemental person. I do, however, have more female friends than male.

On most occasions, I'm not much of a fan of my own gender. But that's generally because of what comes out of our mouths and/or what we put on our bodies.

I expect more of women, and I very rarely see my gender - as a collective - live up to my expectations.

Not necessarily a woman thing, though. I've seen men do worse shit but I wouldn't write the entire gender off because of the actions of a few bad apples. Its not really a gender thing, imho.

Leeness

I don't make the first move because... I just don't. Haha. Cause I know if I'm ever interested in someone, there's a 100% chance they're not interested in me, so I just don't bother :(

But that FB status... no. Just... go sit down, child.

EDIT: Also, Inanna, YES at Journey being amazing. I love love love it.

Not necessarily a woman thing, though. I've seen men do worse shit but I wouldn't write the entire gender off because of the actions of a few bad apples. Its not really a gender thing, imho.

My day job has contributed significantly to my opinions. I'd be quite happy if it were just a few bad apples, but there are many, many more than "just a few".

RawPower

Banned
I don't make the first move because... I just don't. Haha. Cause I know if I'm ever interested in someone, there's a 100% chance they're not interested in me, so I just don't bother :(

That's not a good attitude to have. I know this because I was
still am
just like this. I can say with 100% certainty that guys are more attracted to confident women than self-doubting women.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
My day job has contributed significantly to my opinions. I'd be quite happy if it were just a few bad apples, but there are many, many more than "just a few".

By a few I meant the 100 or 1000 (surely it can't be THAT bad..? :s) women you have met or heard about, you can not possibly say the same apply to every single or most women out there...

I'll say this though, I've known of a lot of women like you, hell my sister is like that and oddly enough because of her job as well. Some women just like to hate on each other for various reasons and judge each other extremely harshly, something I haven't seen in men. Its more of an occasional douche thing to them than a gender thing. Some women however, always make it a gender issue.

Can I ask what that is? I mean if you're working at say a high end boutique then you're just going to run into selfish spoiled princesses often for instance.

Zoe

(American) women don't quite get along too well in any of the IT places I've worked. Though I suppose that's the nature of the girls the field tends to attract--more male friends than female.

Leeness

That's not a good attitude to have. I know this because I was
still am
just like this. I can say with 100% certainty that guys are more attracted to confident women than self-doubting women.

I'd ask a guy out if I ever thought they were interested, but... haha. I tried once and he was like "...uh not really..no." So I just don't bother~

A man probably 40 years older asked me to a hockey game today though! Lmao.
I'm not going.

Leeness if you asked me out I would totally say yes. The mere fact that there is a "role reversal" aspect to it, Sadie Hawkins deal would make it so flattering it would be hard to say no. Guys get rejected soooo many times (as a 28 year old I feel like I'm in the 8th round of a boxing match getting my face pounded) that having the girl do it for once....so refreshing.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'd ask a guy out if I ever thought they were interested, but... haha. I tried once and he was like "...uh not really..no." So I just don't bother~

I'm not going.

Leeness you only tried once!? Oh! You must keep trying. One rejection doesn't mean you'll always have rejections. Sometimes it can be hard to tell if someone is interested. You just have to get out there and go for it! Man, I have been rejected a bunch of times. It sucks. :< But it isn't the end of everything!

Jhoan

I'm not going.

Don't get discouraged. I remember once, when I was in alma mater in a school event, a girl came up to me and said "I just wanted to let you know that you're gorgeous." I was absolutely stunned. All I managed to say was thanks and that's it. I went back to my friends and left it at that. Still though, it takes a ton of guts for a woman to tell a man that she finds him attractive, let alone ask him out. I respect that a lot and find that attractive. So keep on trying; a lot of men aren't used to having women approach them in the U.S.

When I was on vacation in the Dominican Republic, women riding on motorcycles would literally check me out by moving their heads and whatnot. In comparison in the US, the other day, an attractive Asian woman was discreetly checking me out as she got off her stop and kept looking at me as she went up the stairs (in case my avatar doesn't give it away, I live in NY). I thought too little, too late. That happens all the time though.

A pollster? Well, could be more of a cultural thing than women being generally shyte...

Oh it's definitely a cultural thing, look at our so called popular icons, most outspoken idiots (I mean Hilton and everyone who came after her), prized for their looks and wealth rather than any actual accomplishments or intelligence.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Oh it's definitely a cultural thing, look at our so called popular icons, most outspoken idiots (I mean Hilton and everyone who came after her), prized for their looks and wealth rather than any actual accomplishments or intelligence.

Yeah, young girls these days don't really have a good role model to look up to. Hilton, Kardasian sisters or Bella from Twilight movies don't exactly make for an amazing role models, tbh. It is kind of similar here but not to the extent that you'd get so cynical and write off the entire female population. I guess things are a bit different here than they are in the US. For instance, girls ask guys out all the time, girls don't think that the entire purpose of their being is to get married and look after the babies and their household etc. Maybe there are women like that here as well, but I haven't encountered many.

Yeah, young girls these days don't really have a good role model to look up to. Hilton, Kardasian sisters or Bella from Twilight movies don't exactly make for an amazing role models, tbh. It is kind of similar here but not to the extent that you'd get so cynical and write off the entire female population. I guess things are a bit different here than they are in the US. For instance, girls ask guys out all the time, girls don't think that the entire purpose of their being is to get married and look after the babies and their household etc. Maybe there are women like that here as well, but I haven't encountered many.

I've never been to the UK, so maybe I'm generalising, but from where I stand it (and Aus) seems less religious for one thing - especially among gen X and Y. I'm sure that has an effect on "acceptable morals", outlook on marriage etc. But its a kind of complex issue. I'd like to find out more about it really. On the surface the culture is almost the same, but if you look deeper there are so many societal differences - especially with regard to women.

I came across an article that kinda irked me and I'm wondering what you guys think: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charl...cid=maing-grid7|aim|dl4|sec1_lnk1&pLid=146106

Articles like that are useless, they're written by people who think they know everything about the world and are looking at it through a really naive lens, I think. You want your husband or partner to have many good qualities--my husband is a provider who can also think critically and be my emotional rock and whatever else the list sets out all at once--it would really suck if he could only choose one. Marrying a man who is singularly defined by one of these traits seems like a pretty awful relationship, unless you are super-religious and you really do just want one of those "me woman, you man, me make babies, you make money" kind of marriages :( Which you know, is okay if that's what you want, but I feel like it isn't for most people.

Articles like that are useless, they're written by people who think they know everything about the world and are looking at it through a really naive lens, I think. You want your husband or partner to have many good qualities--my husband is a provider who can also think critically and be my emotional rock and whatever else the list sets out all at once--it would really suck if he could only choose one. Marrying a man who is singularly defined by one of these traits seems like a pretty awful relationship, unless you are super-religious and you really do just want one of those "me woman, you man, me make babies, you make money" kind of marriages :( Which you know, is okay if that's what you want, but I feel like it isn't for most people.

Agreed, why are these types? Why aren't they qualities? What if I want a little from A and a little from B? Why are these just "husband" qualities. And honestly:

It's based on my own personal experience as a wife, those of the many wives I've encountered throughout my career as a Weddings and Relationships editor, and the observations I've made about the great husbands I've met or bumped into over the years. Not all of the answers are here, but I promise you, this list has some of the insight you seek. Read on, ladies, and take notes.

Haha fuck you, you patronizing asshole.

Hmmm from her site:

On October 17th, 2010 I married the guy of my dreams.

Uh but enough about her. Since I hate these kinds of articles with a passion I feel like dissecting just why it bothers me so.

1. The Provider

I already know where this is going. Next.

2. The Rock

Okay this is something all SOs do not a type of person or just dudes.

3. The Critical Thinker

Ummm. Let's read what this one actually says for kicks.

There isn't a problem, big or small, that he isn't itching to solve. He's a quick, solid, thinker, who hates to be backed into a corner. He doesn't just see the problem in front of him; he sees a road map of the many solutions available to him and takes his time as he determines the best way to get there, or the course of action he must take. He is patient, because he has to be -- rushing things is rarely the answer and he knows this. He's diligent, focused, and considers himself a mental Olympian of sorts.

Why He Makes a Good Husband: Marriage is truly beautiful, but it comes with its share of problems, and its rough patches. Happier times aren't always just around the bend -- getting there may require a detailed plan and thinking smarter, not harder. He will make a great team player during the moments where the only way to win is to work together, and trust me, those moments can and will arise in marriage.

And this is just a type. So this guy can't be the Rock or The Provider?

4. The Believer

He's God-fearing (whoever his God) and he's proud of his strong beliefs. His moral compass is always turned in a positive direction, and he refuses to accept failure. He helps others and chooses to live his life in a way he believes others should live theirs.

Why He Makes a Good Husband: This man has the emotional tools needed in his toolbox to repair many of the cracks and dents that will inevitably appear in any marriage. He's a fighter, and he will fight with you and for your marriage. He won't give up, even when you do.

Ugh.

5. The Free Spirit

lol. I can't even anymore with this article.

Karkador

Banned
There should be a boy-band based on that article. You could repurpose the descriptions as member bios in the liner for their debut album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom