• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girlfriend Reviews - Redditor on Last of Us 2 subreddit sent death threats to himself and blamed us.

Yoboman

well, if one of the reasons you play a game is to identify with the characters, including the main one, and during play the game takes some turns you don't like/are uncomfortable with, is it ok to feel uncomfortable about it?
I dont even know where you're going with this?

I dont identify with a lesbian 18 year old girl any more than I identify with a 50 year old Texan man who lost his daughter surviving an apocalypse

Doesn't mean I can't enjoy their story and experience empathy

I dont even know where you're going with this?

I dont identify with a lesbian 18 year old girl any more than I identify with a 50 year old Texan man who lost his daughter surviving an apocalypse

Doesn't mean I can't enjoy their story and experience empathy

are we talking about the same game? weren't there 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 memes made about it? even someone as out of it as myself noticed it.

Morally repugnant like what?
I think you and perhaps others may have mistaken my issue with the game as having a problem with "wokeness" or gay characters or something. None of that bothers me in the least.

My issue is the game forcing you

to kill friends, and family, and pets of the target of your vengeance. I generally only like to kill people in video games who are trying to kill me first. Fine for the people who like that, but I want nothing to do with it. I don't like the concept of a game that doesn't allow me to kill the ONE person who does deserve the bullet, but forces me to kill countless others who do not. Again, if you disagree and think abby is just as "guilty" as Joel, that's fine. But I don't, so I don't want to have anything to do with it.

Yoboman

I think you and perhaps others may have mistaken my issue with the game as having a problem with "wokeness" or gay characters or something. None of that bothers me in the least.

to kill friends, and family, and pets of the target of your vengeance. I generally only like to kill people in video games who are trying to kill me first. Fine for the people who like that, but I want nothing to do with it. I don't like the concept of a game that doesn't allow me to kill the ONE person who does deserve the bullet, but forces me to kill countless others who do not. Again, if you disagree and think abby is just as "guilty" as Joel, that's fine. But I don't, so I don't want to have anything to do with it.
Who does Ellie kill thats not trying to kill her first or not a target for her revenge?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Of course it does. How would a story work otherwise? You are a witness to it, not a choosing side.
Let the game do it's thing. Don't fight it

FUBARx89

Don't mind me, just sitting here on a chair waiting to give a fuck.

I don't think it's gonna come from dullard reddit and youtube drama.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

So you want a game to give you a choice that would mean nothing, but the only satisfy your needs temporarily?

The game is likely going to be a 3 part series, so......

if you kill Abby at the end Part II, and she's alive in the next game, do you think your choice really mattered?

Yoboman

not sure how i can make it clearer.

what the hell do i know what it has to do with gay people? maybe they like it, maybe they don't, who knows.

i'm talking about anyone, of any orientation, feeling uncomfortable with it. is that clear enough?
You brought up gay people not me

Anyway, no there's nothing wrong with feeling uncomfortable watching it. It was a weird scene

Who does Ellie kill thats not trying to kill her first or not a target for her revenge?
Several are only a target for her revenge essentially because they were in the same room when Joel died, or because they know Abby and are trying to keep you from killing her. Or they think Abby is right to do what she does, because they've only heard her biased and context-free account of the situation. That's not good enough for me to justify killing them IMO. The developers set out to make a game that would make you uncomfortable with the actions you took in your quest for revenge. Well, I would say they did a good job, because I never want to play it. I want nothing to do with a game like that.

Also, Joel did nothing wrong.

But you should also know that
I don't care that Joel dies, or even that he dies early in the game. The world of TLOU is quite brutal, so any character deaths are pretty understandable. That was never my issue with the game.

Warablo

I enjoyed the game, but felt the flashbacks and story pacing was all over the place and out of order. They also made a lot of the TLOU 1 characters unlikeable by the end of it.

You get halfway through the game and feel like the ending is coming but then it flashbacks and you gotta play the whole game again. So you feel a certain displeasure that could not sit well with gamers.

Yoboman

Several are only a target for her revenge essentially because they were in the same room when Joel died, or because they know Abby and are trying to keep you from killing her. Or they think Abby is right to do what she does, because they've only heard her biased and context-free account of the situation. That's not good enough for me to justify killing them IMO. The developers set out to make a game that would make you uncomfortable with the actions you took in your quest for revenge. Well, I would say they did a good job, because I never want to play it. I want nothing to do with a game like that.

Also, Joel did nothing wrong.

But you should also know that
I don't care that Joel dies, or even that he dies early in the game. The world of TLOU is quite brutal, so any character deaths are pretty understandable. That was never my issue with the game.

They all came across the country on a mission to kill Joel. They weren't innocent bystanders by any means. Maybe you should try playing games you want form.an opinion about

GHG

Gold Member
Overly aggressive? People on here are offended by me calling a guy a cuck. To the point they look through my twitter to find photos of me and I'm overly aggressive!? He called me a loser and I called him out for being a fucking weeb.

Well you're behaving like a loser and it seems to get worse the longer this discussion goes on.

Congratulations on those 150 likes though, certainly a crowning achievement to be proud of.

denzel washington cringe GIF

Like I said, anti-SJWs are the fucking worst.
I don't want to take a side on this one, SJWs use these "groups" as tokens, if you read or pay attention to the conversation they admit to their own isms. And their way to deal with it is more destructive.

The worst on both sides are horrible and barely distinguishible from each other, but SJW / woke, etc. Type opinions somehow pass in polite company, even though this type of rhetoric is behind the worst massacres of the 20th century.
doa-extreme-volleyball.jpg
The redditors: All women in games should look like this
Or this
D_NQ_NP_738343-MLM28876823175_122018-V.jpg

Raonak

Banned
That subreddit is a hive of crazy. There's people who spend a stupid amount of time hating on the game.
Some people hate because it's "too woke", these are the same people who complain about cancel culture and mob mentality ruining artistic intent.

It's a real accomplishment by ND to make a game so unforgettable by people who love and hate it.

The whole situation is so ironically, considering the game is all about the flaws of human emotion and the lengths people will go to for their own interpretation of justice, ruining their lives in the process.
A game about ellie needing to move on and realise that joel is never coming back. Funny how these people didn't even understand the message, or fought against it.

Last edited:

slade

That is an awesome investigation those two did. Just watched the whole thing. Kudos to them for extending an olive branch. Some of the idiots, in this thread even, don't deserve it.

Hugare

Personally I liked the idea of exploring revenge as a concept and that actions we take can have unforseen consequences down the line but I thought it was poorly executed overall. Technically the game is superb and the gameplay holds up well despite mostly playing it safe. However, the story, the pacing, and the amount of useless fluff hurts the game in my opinion. Personally I also didn't like the fact that ND went out of their way to make Abby look like He-man, it's unrealistic in my view and there was zero need for it, same goes for the trans kid victim narrative, it just feels forced on and brings nothing of value to the story.

That being said I would still rate the game a solid 8/10 and recommend playing it, it's just not my GOTY. I gotta say though, making a sub-reddit specifically to bitch about the game and harass people who like it is beyond pathetic.
Abby is huge in order to show that she spent her whole life bulking up for revenge.

It has a story/character purpose

Theres even a cutscene where she is spending some time with Owen and she goes like "dude we have to go back, I need to train". She never relax.

Same with Lev - him being trans is the reason why him and Yara are outcasts from the Scars (a religious group), and the reason why they bond with Abby later on.

Never felt forced, imo

Yoboman

I don't want to take a side on this one, SJWs use these "groups" as tokens, if you read or pay attention to the conversation they admit to their own isms. And their way to deal with it is more destructive.

The worst on both sides are horrible and barely distinguishible from each other, but SJW / woke, etc. Type opinions somehow pass in polite company, even though this type of rhetoric is behind the worst massacres of the 20th century.

Or this
D_NQ_NP_738343-MLM28876823175_122018-V.jpg
The fuck?

They all came across the country on a mission to kill Joel. They weren't innocent bystanders by any means. Maybe you should try playing games you want form.an opinion about
"Or they think Abby is right to do what she does, because they've only heard her biased and context-free account of the situation. That's not good enough for me to justify killing them IMO."

Is this or is this not accurate? Do the developers want the player to regret their actions and feel that they've gone "too far" or not?

I'm normally one to avoid spoilers, but once I heard that the developers lied about the game not forcing you to kill a dog, that was it for me. You don't get to misrepresent the product that you're selling and still have my support. I've seen all the relevant story beats, and I'm never going to play it.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Catching up but this thread fucking went places.

Feel sorry for GF Reviews since they obviously don't deserve any of this shit, but what surprised me is I figured Reddit would be drinking all that TLoU2 Druckmann jizz and not be critical, like at all, since that's the typical discourse for a game with these 'themes' on a place like that.

This whole scenario would make more sense up me if GF Reviews were negative on the game and Reddit snowflakes weren't going to let that happen.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
"Or they think Abby is right to do what she does, because they've only heard her biased and context-free account of the situation. That's not good enough for me to justify killing them IMO."

Is this or is this not accurate? Do the developers want the player to regret their actions and feel that they've gone "too far" or not?

I'm normally one to avoid spoilers, but once I heard that the developers lied about the game not forcing you to kill a dog, that was it for me. You don't get to misrepresent the product that you're selling and still have my support. I've seen all the relevant story beats, and I'm never going to play it.

Aha! Your true colors are revealed! It all stems from mai preshus enternet doggo good boi syndrome.

People who name animals after other animals are dumb and it makes sense why her dog and everyone she ever loved died in an aquarium.

Yoboman

No its not accurate, they all agree to go, they are all ex fireflies and they all partake in killing Joel

You seem to want to walk this bizarre tight rope of "morality" with regards to killing of characters you don't even know. But I'm sure you have know problem killing hundreds in other games

You know its as weak an argument against the game as I do

No its not accurate
So are the other characters before hand saying things like "It doesn't matter that you were going to be killed without consenting to your own death in the hopes that MAYBE a cure would come from it, even though all the other attempts resulted in nothing!"?

Because if not, I think abby's friends agreed to avenge someone close to abby without a full understanding of the situation. And they can be forgiven for that, or at least I don't feel they deserve to die for it.

And I'm not making an argument against the game so much as an argument why I dislike it. It's fine if you love it for all the reasons I hate it. There's no truth here, other than perhaps the fact that instead of making a sequel that was almost universally loved, Sony ultimately made a game that's considerably more divisive than their usual sequels. Some loved it, some hated it, and both of those opinions are valid.

Porcile

”Communities” are just a byword for circlejerk until they inevitable eat themselves due some stupid controversy. Whenever I hear someone say "the community" I just cringe.

Yoboman

So are the other characters before hand saying things like "It doesn't matter that you were going to be killed without consenting to your own death in the hopes that MAYBE a cure would come from it, even though all the other attempts resulted in nothing!"?

Because if not, I think abby's friends agreed to avenge someone close to abby without a full understanding of the situation. And they can be forgiven for that, or at least I don't feel they deserve to die for it.

And I'm not making an argument against the game so much as an argument why I dislike it. It's fine if you love it for all the reasons I hate it. There's no truth here, other than perhaps the fact that instead of making a sequel that was almost universally loved, Sony ultimately made a game that's considerably more divisive than their usual sequels. Some loved it, some hated it, and both of those opinions are valid.
They all know exactly who Ellie is in the context of her being immune as is revealed by Nora. They know exactly why Joel did what he did and still came for revenge

Since when is accessory to murder forgivable ? Pretty wonky moral compass you've got there. Seeing a person die in a game? Beyond the pale. But assisting a murder? Eh pretty forgivable

I dont care if you like it or not but you've concocted some fantasy narrative in your head about what the game is about. Too much listening to Youtube, not enough playing games for yourself

Last edited:
We just have to stop taking twitter and facebook and all of that crap seriously, it's got too much power over people. Only 25% of American adults even use twitter yet a few bad tweets can start an avalanche that gets people fired or worse and can be done with zero proof. Facebook is full of lies as well, stop believing "news" posts relatives post there, chances are it's all BS as well. Reddit should be considered fiction as well, if something ends up being true fine but we shouldn't pay attention to any of that nonsense.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I like to think these losers are on their 100th playthrough of last of us 2 absolute writhing in pain in their minds. I hate this, I hate this game....but this gameplay is so good and Abbys not even that bad...no stop thinking like that...the games shit....but ...I want abby to dominate me......no...my heart lives for these fluid controls and great graphics...I must post about how shit this game is......

...starts new game ++++++++±++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
the game was hot garbage but it is absolutely never worth going out of your way to sent death threats over a fucking game. people really need something better to do, social media is a curse lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
not sure how i can make it clearer.

what the hell do i know what it has to do with gay people? maybe they like it, maybe they don't, who knows.

i'm talking about anyone, of any orientation, feeling uncomfortable with it. is that clear enough?
It's just a sex scene of 2 characters with mixed feelings. Nothing wrong with it get over it

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
if i don't like a game, i am sure as fuck not gonna create a forum/subreddit to whine about it for a whole fucking year. these people have series issues. In the end they are the ones who have to accept it and get help, or be miserable their entire life.

nowhat

these people have series issues.
Yes, the series being The Last of Us.

...I'll get me coat

More seriously though, apparently on that big brain subreddit (which was set to private, they may have reverted now), one of the mods is now trying to organise a campaign to spoil the TV series for newcomers.

Which is like a) so you didn't like the sequel, fine, get a life already, and b) the TV series will not be a full adaptation of the games, so it will be all for naught. That's fitting for the subreddit though I guess.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Another example of why i'm glad i'm not a semi famous streamer or Youtuber in todays fucked up world. Its just not safe being online if you have any kind of popularity. Too many unhinged people in the world.

Banjo64

cumsessed
After reading through this thread I’m still not sure what the fuck has happened and why. This thread is a rollercoaster of pure shit though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom