• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls on Gaf (if there are any ;)) how has becoming a mother changed your gaming? But fathers are welcome to chip in too.

Nico_D

Gaming was a good getaway when the kids were little. The quickest way to reset my hdd so I could another couple of hours of nonsensical gaagaa and diaper circus and crying.

VALCON 82

Dad here. For the fist couple of years it went to almost zero time for games. it has slowly gotten back to where i can put aside some time for games while still helping with homework and housework.
In the last year though my son has started to get into the Nathan Drake collection and both him and his older sister love Animal Crossing.

Great moment where i realized his personality is a lot like mine...
I was playing Ghost of Tsushima and one of the enemies wasn't dead (i had to "end suffering"). As i walked up to him to put do said deed, i hear my son say," where you goin?" then followed by "nowhere" right when i stabbed the guy on the ground.. i turned and looked at him with a grin. He looks at me and says" i'll see myself out" and went to his room laughing

Dad here...with a 5 and 6 year old. I've been gaming since the 16-bit wars and a dream of mine was for my kids to be gamers as well. That sorta happened. My kids love to watch me play but I only play kid friendly games when they are around. My little girl loves Animal Crossing so we try and take one night a week for some daddy/daughter time to play it (though she wants me to play more so she can have more stuff to mess around with...she has no concept of "grinding" out for new stuff). My 5 year old son enjoys Sonic and Mario but his go to game is Farming Simulator (he loves tractors) and we do one night of me and him playing that (but like his sister, he plays but he wants me to do all the work). I love sharing my love of gaming with my kids and while I can't wait till they get older and can explore on their own, I keep reminding myself to not rush them but enjoy the time that we have now. And with another one on the way, I get to do it all over again.

Barnabot

my wife hates playing vidya games. having said that our son loves it so he always invites her to play some mario kart, mario 3d world or even minecraft with him whenever he can. sometimes she does play with him despite hating to play vidya games.

maybe the first years might be rough to you but I also think that things might go super well with you afterwards. you'll figure it out the right balance between motherhood and the other things you like to do.

gela94

Dad here...with a 5 and 6 year old. I've been gaming since the 16-bit wars and a dream of mine was for my kids to be gamers as well. That sorta happened. My kids love to watch me play but I only play kid friendly games when they are around. My little girl loves Animal Crossing so we try and take one night a week for some daddy/daughter time to play it (though she wants me to play more so she can have more stuff to mess around with...she has no concept of "grinding" out for new stuff). My 5 year old son enjoys Sonic and Mario but his go to game is Farming Simulator (he loves tractors) and we do one night of me and him playing that (but like his sister, he plays but he wants me to do all the work). I love sharing my love of gaming with my kids and while I can't wait till they get older and can explore on their own, I keep reminding myself to not rush them but enjoy the time that we have now. And with another one on the way, I get to do it all over again.

That sounds like fun :) And congratulations :messenger_beaming:

gela94

I'm sure you are trying to keep costs down but if you have any spare funds get a Switch, then you can play while you wait for her/him to fall asleep, headphones or maybe just mute.

I am struggling to want to play a bit recently and I don't even have kids, spending more time on neogaf than gaming, much more time in fact.

What kind of games do you like? We can recommend some drop in drop out stuff.
Well I'm open minded about games, the only ones I don't like are fps and online games of any kind.

gela94

Ah, I missed that question in your post.

My wife and I did severely limit our oldest's screen time during his early months and years. The "how" was, IIRC, mainly just a matter of not having the TV turned on until after the kids were in bed. Nowadays you also have the added challenge of the smartphone. That's more a challenge for you than for him or her at this point, so the habits that you form for yourself now are important.
Exactly if you game yourself how do you limit their screentime unless you are only doing when they are sleeping.

greyshark

Dad of 2 boys, 4 and 2. Getting a Switch was a godsend for being able to game again. Putting a game in sleep mode at a moment’s notice really helped when having to deal with a newborn.

gela94

Dad of 2 boys, 4 and 2. Getting a Switch was a godsend for being able to game again. Putting a game in sleep mode at a moment’s notice really helped when having to deal with a newborn.
Yeah even before the baby I loved the sleep mode.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Man this brings back memories. My kids are all adults now but when Mortal Kombat comes out we always play the story together no matter where they are at. We take a weekend and the three of them and my wife and i get together and have a marathon weekend.

Great times.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Dad of 3 girls, my gaming was hugely impacted. Way less. But as the kids are getting older they are getting interested in it too. I wish they would play a real game Instead of Roblox but it's what they wanto play and it's a start

Kuranghi

Well I'm open minded about games, the only ones I don't like are fps and online games of any kind.

Have you tried "A Short Hike" on Switch, thats a really fun wee game. Can literally drop in for 1 minute then stop. Its mini open-world adventure game with collecting, climbing and gliding (Like BotW) and basic quests.

Tuff McNutt

Dad of a 2 year old (will be 3 in a couple of months) -- my gaming now is mostly retro stuff and then some PS4 time on the weekends. My kid likes games though, I have some mini cabinets and he likes playing Pac-Man and Street Fighter II Champion Edition.

New born here,

finish last of us 2 and ghost of Tsushima with him on my arms.

just that.
Not much changed.

Oh. I also have those ergobaby, I put him in, sit in my pc chair and work.
My man, gotta baby girl due in 2 months and my wife was pumped when we got the ergo baby carrier. I am pumped now as well 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Zathalus

Dad here, father of a 3 year old girl. I mostly game at night when she is asleep or in the gap I have between dropping her off at creche and starting work in the mornings. When she is awake, sometimes I will give her a disconnected controller to fake play along with me, but a 3 year old is easily distracted so those sessions are not to long.

Setzer

Another father here, my kids are all in their 20's now but when they were kids it was difficult to find time to game so I had to make time. I've been gamer since I was a kid and I wasn't about to give up something I enjoyed doing but I also didn't want it to affect me being a Dad and having time for them. So I had to train myself to stay up later at night, that way when they went to bed I had time for myself to game. Kids would be in bed by 8:30pm and my wife usually went to bed around 9:30-10pm, so that would give me from about 10pm to midnight to game. Sure, it wasn't as much gaming time as it was when I was a teenager but 2hrs a night was better than nothing for something I enjoy doing.

Also, I mostly played single player game, like RPG's, so this allowed me to pace myself as I progressed through the story. Online gaming with friends was a different story and this was a little more challenging as most MMO's tend to be time consuming. So I always looked for ones that catered more to a casual style of play. There are some MMO's out there were you can play for 1-2hrs a night and still have a rewarding experience.

There are definitely ways to make time for yourself to still be a gamer as well as being a Mom. =)

gela94

Another father here, my kids are all in their 20's now but when they were kids it was difficult to find time to game so I had to make time. I've been gamer since I was a kid and I wasn't about to give up something I enjoyed doing but I also didn't want it to affect me being a Dad and having time for them. So I had to train myself to stay up later at night, that way when they went to bed I had time for myself to game. Kids would be in bed by 8:30pm and my wife usually went to bed around 9:30-10pm, so that would give me from about 10pm to midnight to game. Sure, it wasn't as much gaming time as it was when I was a teenager but 2hrs a night was better than nothing for something I enjoy doing.

Also, I mostly played single player game, like RPG's, so this allowed me to pace myself as I progressed through the story. Online gaming with friends was a different story and this was a little more challenging as most MMO's tend to be time consuming. So I always looked for ones that catered more to a casual style of play. There are some MMO's out there were you can play for 1-2hrs a night and still have a rewarding experience.

There are definitely ways to make time for yourself to still be a gamer as well as being a Mom. =)
Unfortunately I don't like online games, but yes I guess short burst of gaming are my future :messenger_grinning_sweat:

gela94

My man, gotta baby girl due in 2 months and my wife was pumped when we got the ergo baby carrier. I am pumped now as well 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Pumped in the sporty sense? :messenger_tears_of_joy: These carriers can be pretty great but after 2-3 months at least for me only usefull for at home or short trips.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My kids are from 3 and a half to 13 years old.

Biggest difference is that I stopped playing games that cannot be paused - I still do a little at night (Dota 2 or some other online game) but I focus on single-player games with a pause button.

Yup, kids kill online gaming for you, or at least the very demanding ones.

I came here because it smells good.:messenger_smiling:

bellome

I am a father of 2 children.

My boy is 4 and I introduced him to gaming since he was 3 with carefully selected games. Then we started playing together, me holding the pad and he pressing one button. Now I bought him a mini pad and we play coop.

We play 30 min max per day, usually before going to bed. When he (and his little sister) goes to bed I can play my games.

So I can still game even if I have a full time job and 2 kids (with no help from grandparents or whatsoever). The main issue is that the time I can invest in playing alone is when I should sleep so sometimes I feel tired from sleep deprivation but this happens only when I have a fresh new game that engages me particularly. Luckily (for my health but not for my enjoyment) this happens rarely since I hardly find a game that i really like (90% of games are in my opinion a rehash of something I already played).

We never play during the day, we never play on mobile, I rarely play my games with him watching, I never play violent games in front of him.

As I side note I want to suggest some of the best games to play with your kids in order of complexity. The best advice is to let him start with games where there is no enemy.

Paw patrol single player (left-right-jump, no death, super easy, safe contents, cute)

Knack 2 coop (best coop experience ever for kids)

Yoshi crafted world coop (sometime a bit too hard for young kids but a very good coop experience)

Lego games coop and single player, especially the ones with a free roam world (perfect to introduce the use of the second analog stick for camera).

💪

Last edited:

gela94

I have a different problem. My 2 year old wants me to play Animal Crossing so she can watch. Problem is, I hate Animal Crossing. Oh btw my wife is not really a gamer, but her hobbies are practically down to zero time spend right now. Will be like that for the forseeable future. I'm also wasting the few free moments I have on GAF and other shit, can't find the time to game. I guess when they're around 5 or so we'll be having time for this again. Don't understand how some parents can claim to be gaming earlier than that. We are both very much occupied with being parents all day all night 24/7..
Well I guess you have to suck it up and play Animal Crossing :messenger_tears_of_joy: The question is, is no gaming better than bad gaming?

gela94

It really seems like there are no mothers on GAF too bad, would've liked some insights from their perspective. And today another night of being on gaf instead of continuing Luigi Mansion 3 or CK2 :messenger_crying:

StormCell

And the "lady" here who isn't really. He knows who he is.

If you're seriously being like this about whom I think you're talking about, then you suck. I think I would have perma banned you for this, because you suck.

Hey why this guy is getting banned?

I ve seen his last post and doesnt seem to be anything wrong with that?

I think it should be self-explanatory because the person he's probably targeting is like the nicest person on the whole board. Why be a sucky person like that?

StormCell

It really seems like there are no mothers on GAF too bad, would've liked some insights from their perspective. And today another night of being on gaf instead of continuing Luigi Mansion 3 or CK2 :messenger_crying:

Well I guess that just means you'll be the first of probably more to come! I'm sure there are gaming mothers who are married to the fathers in this thread who just aren't posting here. I'm not sure GAF was built to tolerate the levels of shit posting we would see on here if the wives/mothers decide to show up!

-Arcadia-

Banned
There are definitely women here. We're actually, surprisingly, a big chunk of Gaf, straight from Evilore. I can't remember the specific numbers or find the post though.

Mothers, though... I expected someone to post, but I genuinely think you might be the first here.

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything to offer that wouldn't be charmingly naive, or based on second-hand experience. I do generally think the dads of Neogaf have it right, though. Things will get better, in my observation.

Being a father made me identify with certain stories more. The Last of Us, God of War and especially Death Standing. Listening to the theme of BB on that last delivery really made me well up but moreso it really made me hate The Last of Us Part 2. I became very indifferent for many reasons.

anothertech

When I had my first kid I was addicted to WoW lol. I learned to live off 3 to 4 hours of sleep daily. Nightly game sessions were my only answer at the time. And most of those were interrupted each night lol.

4 kids later and I get much more sleep but defo have more time to game. My oldest is super into half life alyx and my youngest is a beatsaber king.

The hardest part is when they start destroying you in multiplayer competitive games. Just wait.

BlackM1st

Banned
My hardcore friend has become a father last year. Now all he can "play" is only F2P word of tanks.

I'm fucking scared. All my Overwatch, CoD , Battlefield, GTA Online and F2P mobile grind is in grave danger... Send help.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My hardcore friend has become a father last year. Now all he can "play" is only F2P word of tanks.

I'm fucking scared. All my Overwatch, CoD , Battlefield, GTA Online and F2P mobile grind is in grave danger... Send help.

Don't be, fatherhood is so annoying, hard to figure out time for sex, but it's very rewarding seeing your boy/daughter grow up with you. It's natural, you'll still have time, probably with them in a later age as well!

Last edited:
Top Bottom