• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GitHyp: For Honor Lost Over Half of It's Playerbase in It's First Two Weeks on Steam

NeoRaider

-Ubisoft's New Multiplayer IP Following in the Footsteps of The Division

-For Honor’s player numbers have dwindled since launch, and it’s more apparent on Steam than anywhere else.

-Prior to the launch of For Honor, the game had a strong buzz going for it among players. The betas were among Ubisoft’s most popular to date, and the launch itself certainly was strong.

-After cracking Steam’s top ten most played games at launch with nearly 46,000 players, it seems many day one players have not returned.

-Githyp reports that one week after launch, Steam numbers dropped to 21,000 players. Another week after, numbers were down to 15,000 per-day.

-On Saturday, the game averaged 17,000 players on Steam, which was among its most popular weekends so far, according to the site. Githyp says this downward trend is not dissimilar to the drop The Division also faced after it launched.

-While it’s easy to blame server issues as the sole culprit here, the reality is that For Honor is much more complex game than a lot of those who bought it believed. With that in mind, it’s natural to see games drop once the launch lustre wears off, but these numbers certainly aren’t very promising.

-Of course, removed from these stats, the numbers are actually more than capable of sustaining a healthy community, especially given how many more aren’t included in Steam’s player count.

-The report predicted For Honor would go on to lose 90% of its players on Steam at the end of its second month post-launch, which did happen with The Division.

a1Tfwqy.png

http://www.vg247.com/2017/03/07/after-just-2-weeks-for-honor-lost-50-of-its-player-base-on-steam-the-same-rate-as-the-division/
http://www.githyp.com/for-honor-lost-over-half-of-its-playerbase-in-its-first-two-weeks-on-steam/

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Sad, really. Could have been so much more.

Durante

I feel like a drop-off of just half after launch is actually pretty good. Exceedingly few games do better than that.

Rainbow Six: Siege saw similar drop-off and was sub 10k players for most of the time following it's release, but has still found a solid playerbase and has gotten better over time. These numbers are turning into somewhat of a common thing for Ubisoft multiplayer-focused games, and I'm sure with continual support and more time the numbers will stabilize and improve.

SJRB

Gold Member
It released a week before two of this year's most important titles released, so that's not particularly surprising.

LordKasual

Banned
From the little snippits of gameplay, for some reason I assumed For Honor was a game that was going to play a bit like Bushido Blade.

After I saw actual matches, i was alot less interested in the game :(

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well yeah, horizon and zelda came out! I haf to take a break

I was going to say something similar to this. It launched in an absolutely jam packed time of the year and not only are there are a ton of games coming out but a ton of heavily hyped and very well reviewed games one after the other. They launched in a really tough time maybe not expecting all this competition.

Ridley327

Have there been any patches on any platform to improve the netcode? A lot of post-launch talk has been dominated by the frustration with its inadequacy, which likely has made it really easy for a lot of players to migrate over to the current crop of games that have come out in the past week.

From the little snippits of gameplay, for some reason I assumed For Honor was a game that was going to play a bit like Bushido Blade.

After I saw actual matches, i was alot less interested in the game :(

It'd be cool if they added a Bushido Blade-type mode where one hit was almost always a kill.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of stupid to blame complexity when lol and dota are so unbelievably popular.
I'm sure that Ubisoft let the game down from what I've seen. So the easy blame in this case also feels like the correct blame.
I hope they open up cross play for PS4 and PC and some point.

Rodelero

I mean... I wouldn't be surprised if For Honor saw significant falloff for myriad reasons... but this amount of dropoff doesn't seem particularly high given the circumstances. Even people who really like a game are likely to play less as time goes on, and some people, regardless of how good the game is, will stop playing altogether.

Kyne

between the 3 platforms, where is the largest playerbase? PS4?

also, with Zelda/Horizon just coming out it's not surprising in the least.

Hari Seldon

I really like this game and want to play it more, but there are multiple GOTY contenders all being released right now.

Sounds like a doom and gloom article over something not particularly newsworthy. Having a sustained playerbase that high is pretty good, means the game should be healthy for a little while. We'll see if the inevitable patches help it out and if the inevitable sales boost player count, but it's nice to see that a good online game is getting the legs it needs.

Gxgear

I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying For Honor, but the net code is just so bad... I've probably spent more time in queue than actually playing.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I feel like a drop-off of just half after launch is actually pretty good. Exceedingly few games do better than that.

yea that's about average to better than average from what I've seen, particularly on the PC market which can be pretty fickle.

It's still in the top 10 on steam best sellers.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I mean two massively hyped open world games just came out. Not to mention the usual drop-off with multiplayer games.

Ferrio

Banned
I mean two massively hyped open world games just came out. Not to mention the usual drop-off with multiplayer games.

Ya I'm just getting swamped with games right now. Both Horizon and Yakuza, and then there's Nier on PC next week. Took a break from this game for about a week now, but did play a couple matches last night. At this point I've clock over 40 hours in it, so even if I did never return I got my money's worth.

Despite the connection issues I'm still addicted to the game. Even after getting Horizon, I find myself going back to For Honor before long.

The servers need serious fixing. I thought it didn't look bad from watching streamers play it but when I got the game I was wrong. It really is fucked. I have a 50% chance of getting into a game on Xbox or getting an error. Not to mention the P2P lag disconnection issues.

This game is really good and complex like a fighting game and it sucks that the servers are completely killing the potential.

Strakt

Sounds normal for any game. The playerbase still hovers probably around 40-50k on PC on weekends. This last weekend had 20k on steam.. and uplay is probably another 20-30k. The game is far from dead... esp for it being a fighter. Are there problems they gotta fix? Yep.

Also strange that they removed the player count on the console versions despite that player base being pretty high even so much after launch (70-80k when I get on to play).

swarley64

I mean, look at the games that came out since two weeks after their launch... Its been fucking crazy. I want to get back to it, but I have a full plate right now. And it can be a stressful game.

I bought it expressly to have something to kill time with until Horizon came out. I ended up playing it for two days.

Not enough experience to really speak to its quality, but it absolutely didn't click with me.

Arulan

The PC market is very competitive, especially for multiplayer games, and I don't believe For Honor has any qualities beyond its production values that make it stand out compared to similar titles. There are much better melee-focused, even multiplayer, games such as Mount & Blade: Warband and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. The lack of a server browser hurts it too, especially once the player base continues to drop.

The PC market is very competitive, especially for multiplayer games, and I don't believe For Honor has any qualities beyond its production values that make it stand out compared to similar titles. There are much better melee-focused, even multiplayer, games such as Mount & Blade: Warband and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. The lack of a server browser hurts it too, especially once the player base continues to drop.

For Honor is actually quite different from those two games. The connectivity issues are probably its biggest problem.

Gaz_RB

Since we're all throwing out our reasons for why (even though it's likely an amalgamation of many issues people have), I'll throw in mine: this is not the type of game (fighting games in general, probably) that should have gear that changes stats. It turns a game that would otherwise be balanced into an unfun experience.

While you could probably argue that somehow gear is balanced, I still don't think it adds enough to the game to even have a place in For Honor.

I mean, look at the games that came out since two weeks after their launch... Its been fucking crazy. I want to get back to it, but I have a full plate right now. And it can be a stressful game.
This too. It's actually kind of crazy how many of my PC only friends picked up a Switch and Zelda after not having a console since the N64 days.

It's that really uncommon? I always assumed most games had a similar falling off pretty quick before stabilizing.

It isn't. Rarely do game that start that popular maintain a playerbase that high for long.

Chivalry peaks at under 2k concurrent. Warband at around 9k but the vast majority of those are people playing campaign. There are not that many active MP servers around. Those games are not the reason For honor is losing players.

Sou Da

We are still doing this shit huh?

For Honor is actually quite different from those two games. The connectivity issues are probably its biggest problem.

Agreed. I honestly have a hard time coming up with an example of another game that's similar to For Honor's actual combat. On the surface and on paper, it might look close to a game like Chivalry, but it has a lot more in common with fighting games than it does something as freeform as that.

Strakt

We are still doing this shit huh?

Doesn't even matter. Those games hold a playerbase of 1-2k max whereas For Honor holds a playerbase of 50k on PC alone with 80-90k on consoles. Putting those games in the same sentence as For Honor is a joke itself.

Skyzard

Banned
Zelda and Horizon just came out.

For Honor is the best fighting game I've played though (not had to spend 200 hours in training mode, and it's awesome), and user count holds up fine here in the UK.

I'd be curious in the player count from uPlay too, considering they had much better deals on this relatively new game for a while before launch. Perhaps more attractive to the person who would play games for longer rather than switch between titles because they can afford to, we are talking about gamers.

Artdayne

Uplay numbers would be more relevant, I for one, do not play the game through Steam. Also, we have to consider the games that are sandwiched around the release of For Honor, I mean it's truly one of the greatest 1 to 2 month stretches in gaming I've ever seen and even I haven't played For Honor much lately just because Horizon and Zelda have taken up so much of my time, and I imagine Mass Effect will follow shortly after.

For Honor plays nothing like those games, at all. It's much more akin to a fighting game. I've been playing M&B since it was in beta and it's just a very different game with most of the focus being on a single player RPG/sandbox. Chivalry just doesn't do anything for me personally, I'm not really sure what it offers that would appeal to me over For Honor.

wuth

... Are you kidding me? Those games are spastic barf machines compared to For Honor.

I get it, the server browser missing isn't great, and I love Mount & Blade, but to call them better mechanically is disingenuous.

... Are you kidding me? Those games are spastic barf machines compared to For Honor.

I get it, the server browser missing isn't great, and I love Mount & Blade, but to call them better mechanically is disingenuous.

They are different and I vastly prefer them to For Honor but they have very weak numbers and are not even a factor here.

Top Bottom