• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give me a reason why Darth Vader isn't the coolest villain ever

Seriously, none of the villains I see in movies today come close to how epic Darth Vader is. Even TROS's Darth Vader was kick-ass.

He even has a cool background, in that he was never "fully evil" and struggled to balance good and evil. And then there's his costume.

thumb-1920-270241.jpg

He kind of went out like a bitch. One of ..., but not THE COOLEST villain. Rogue One was a good reminder though.

Still got into force heaven so I mean, was he really THAT bad?

Poppy

his ship got knocked by han solo which basically directly resulted in them losing the death star

thats kind of a big fuckup considering he has the force and all

other than being menacing to rooms with a few people in them what exactly did he do most of the time

frontovik

Banned
When I watched the OT as a child, Darth Vader never spooked me. He simply doesn't have the aura of a villain despite his costume and demeanour.

He still stands as a rather unremarkable and boring villain.

Because he killed the women. And the children too.

Also he couldn't get through a simple door on the space station he was in charge of to capture escaping prisoners. Never letting that go.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
So is plastisteel or transparent aluminum stronger?

i mean, DV is cool an all, but we've never seen him act like a boss when he isn't on top.

Also when I think 'cool', it's not so much in line with 'badass' as it is being threatening, powerful (within reason for the story), seemingly untouchable for a time, darkly funny, and in control. Often, for me, this comes to mind:

tumblr_lot7inTcEJ1qdr3s3o2_500.gif

Mivey

The prequels killed any cool he had. Deep down, he is now that whiny Anakin who dropped his allegiance and killed everyone on pretty much a whim. Before you could think of some cool backstory in your head that would make his fall seem tragic, but nope, he is just a dumb whiny asshole.

Syf

Banned
Rogue One hallway scene redeemed him somewhat but I can't just unsee how big of a whiner he was in the prequels.

Anth0ny

The voice

The design

The memorable lines

All you need. I think Joker is right up there too because he meets those three criteria as well. T-800 as well.

Top Bottom