• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give me a reason why Darth Vader isn't the coolest villain ever

Loris146

142253e94a6e539b.jpg

Please stop. This is awful.

tumblr_m3id2tJYgd1qdqyo9.gif

GOAT.

Also when I think 'cool', it's not so much in line with 'badass' as it is being threatening, powerful (within reason for the story), seemingly untouchable for a time, darkly funny, and in control. Often, for me, this comes to mind:

tumblr_lot7inTcEJ1qdr3s3o2_500.gif
Yeah, Gruber is an awesome choice. One of my favorite villains not from sci-fi. For me, another along those same aspects of "cool" would be Frank in "Once Upon A Time In The West," though maybe not really "darkly funny". Guy knows he is ice cold dangerous and you know it too from first glance.

Garjon

He basically fails all of his mission objectives in the original trilogy. All he actually does is force choke a load of arrogant commanders.

EDIT: I will add that he looks boss but other than that?

mas8705

Honestly you could take your pick from the prequels and go from there. Honestly though after Rogue One, it only helped to solidify that Vader is one of the best villains out there.

firelogic

That was only like a couple days before ANH right? I want to see him on a mission immediately after the transformation and he's super pissed off (since the dark side thrives on hatred). Like twenty years before ANH.

I want to see a rated R Vader movie but of course that'll never happen. Not R for swearing or nudity but for the violence. A pissed off Vader wrecking planets full of fleshy beings with his force powers and a lightsaber. I want to see the carnage.

It'd be nice if Disney took some more risks with the side stories and stick to their formula for the mainline movies but again, that'll never happen.

jelly

He was pretty badass at the end of Rogue One but they messed up the costume and he was rather lame beside wrecking people.

Why isn't he cool, a lapdog who constantly fails when he is suppose to be the most powerful?

Cause he was hilariously ineffectual at his job, and when all said and done just a henchman

This. Darth Vader is a complete dumbass. Leaving aside the whole 'Death Star Plans' fiasco:

Completely and obviously manipulated by the Palpatine into betraying the Jedi.

Being an arrogant tool and getting his arse handed to him by Kenobi by failing to understand basic battle tactics.

Fails to identify Leia as force sensitive in captivity.

Tactically incompetent (blames and kills Ozzel for being 'too close to the system' at Hoth and alerting the rebels when they had already been alerted by the probe droid that was known to have been destroyed. Vader's tactics would have just given the rebels more time to evacuate).

Destroys part of the Imperial Navy by pointlessly entering the asteroid field.

Lets Luke slip away at Bespin.

Never assumes that Luke/Leia will try to retrieve Han from Jabba.

Allows the rebels to penetrate the shield on Endor before understanding Palpatine's plans.

Cannot see that Palpatine intends to replace him with Luke.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This. Darth Vader is a complete dumbass. Leaving aside the whole 'Death Star Plans' fiasco:

Being an arrogant tool and getting his arse handed to him by Kenobi by failing to understand basic battle tactics.

Tactically incompetent (blames and kills Ozzel for being 'too close to the system' at Hoth and alerting the rebels when they had already been alerted by the probe droid that was known to have been destroyed. Vader's tactics would have just given the rebels more time to evacuate).

Allows the rebels to penetrate the shield on Endor before understanding Palpatine's plans.

Yeah but he can choke pwople through the tv screen.

sarcastor

This. Darth Vader is a complete dumbass:

You forgot the part where he hunted down and systematically killed the remaining jedis after palpatine took over

His comic book series shows more of his bad ass adventures. Unfortunately he was kinda stupid in the trilogy. Kinda like Boba Fett

jelly

You forgot the part where he hunted down and systematically killed the remaining jedis after palpatine took over

His comic book series shows more of his bad ass adventures. Unfortunately he was kinda stupid in the trilogy. Kinda like Boba Fett

Didn't order 66 do that and they went down like chumps anyway.

jett

D-Member

Let's post some better movie villains than this useless moran.

137.jpg

the-silence-of-the-lambs-hopkins-hannibal-lecter.jpg

S%2526S%2BSunday%2BThe%2BGodfather%2BPart%2BII%2B1.png

The-Joker-Dark-Knight-Rises-Location.jpg

carradine_kill_bill.jpg

latest

Vader is kinda crap compared to any of these.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Just like Anakin retroactively made Darth Vader a bit lame, the CW retroactively made Anakin really good.

Nose Master

He's iconic, but I don't think he's good. He's really shallow up until the awful prequels backstory. His face turn at the end was basically the only time he showed any sort of character at all other than hissing menacingly.

Top Bottom