• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give me a space game like this

Boneless

Watching The Expanse I need a space game fix, but it doesn´t feel like something like this is out there. Why does there seem to be no exploration spacegame with a proper campaign?

What I am looking for is pretty much:
Space exploration, flying about
Being able to get off your ship into FPS
Have a campaign with mission where you encounter stuff that makes you want to takeoff and leave (like you find a ship full of blood and dead bodies, thriller kind of vibe. Uncover alien technologie etc. Dark, flashlight etc etc, meanwhile, you ship is waiting for you outside)

Then slap VR on and boom, we're golden.

PS: I know there is elite dangerous and the likes, but that doesn't have a campaign or story or anything. That's probably more realistic, as the odds of finding something in space is pretty much null, but that's what I want a game for, give me the chills of space and the unknown, let me uncover stuff and unravel mysteries.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The closest you can get, with VR and an interesting world is No Man's Sky: after all the updates there's so much to do.
Is there anything going for it aside from the resource gathering and crafting? Is exploration interesting?

You’ll be waiting until Squadron whatever for Star Citizen for something like that unless Everspace 2 does so well that they can introduce on-foot elements. Really can’t think of many space adventure games that have what you’d like.

Life

None of your ideas are original or unheard of. We all know that would be cool and exciting. But we, as well as the devs, know that would take so much development time (and money) - it's just not worth it.

Maybe in the future we'll see something like it when users can add game content - kind of like modders do these days - but with a lot less of a learning curve.

Is there anything going for it aside from the resource gathering and crafting? Is exploration interesting?
There's a main story that involves some misteries; you'll explore abandoned facilities, wrecked ships, space stations and the likes.
Not to shit on No Man's Sky, but the fact that that is the closest you can get is disappointing. No Man's Sky has its place, but its doesn't give me the fix I need, too cartoony.
Yes, the style is a bit cartoony, but it can feel quite authentic. I wouldn't discard it that easily if you're looking for something cool space-related and in VR.

Another great space game in VR is Lone Echo, even though it's "just" a linear experience.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There's a main story that involves some misteries; you'll explore abandoned facilities, wrecked ships, space stations and the likes.
Seems to have improved a lot since a last played it a few years ago. Will check it in VR, thx!

Boneless

Its a shame a lot of space games is just sandbox.

Sure I want freedom, but give linearity with some freedom and a good storyline. I dont need billions of galaxies and endless exploration, give me a bit of exploration but in that bit really cool intriguing things to do.

Arachnid

The Expanse is so damn good. Best sci-fi show out there, and so many people sleep on it.

Personally, it always gave me Mass Effect vibes. It's a space opera focusing on one crew as they navigate inter-planet politics and try to survive a building and looming extrasolar/extragalactic threat. Holden's name even gains reverance to the entire system the same way Shepard does to the galaxy. He's got his pilot (Joker/Alex), his ship engineer (Naomi/Garus), his reliable tank (Amos/Wrex), and a super famous/capable ship (Normandy/Rocinante). The exploration is fantastic too. You get plenty of those "bad vibes" in different areas you encounter. I'll never forget the first time I explored the derelict collectors vessel in 2.

If you haven't played Mass Effect, keep an eye out for the trilogy remaster coming in a few months. you're in for one hell of a treat. It's got everything in the OP except VR and it's third person instead of first.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Closest i can think of aside from No Mans Sky is Outer Wilds (Outer Wilds, The Outer Worlds is a different game), though its also follows a "fantasy" space with somewhat cartoony visuals.

But yeah, this is a type of game that we just don't have enough of, and understably so considering it ain't exactly easy to make.

Its a shame a lot of space games is just sandbox.

Sure I want freedom, but give linearity with some freedom and a good storyline. I dont need billions of galaxies and endless exploration, give me a bit of exploration but in that bit really cool intriguing things to do.
If you want something a bit grounded, but you're not gonna get that massive scale space exploration you're looking for. Try Deliver Us The Moon, I saw it on gamepass and I've been meaning to play it. Sci-Fi thriller and you play as an astronaut sent to the moon.

Last edited:

bati

Mass Effect trilogy is by far the closest thing to Expanse that's actually available to play right now. When you think about it, space battles are a relatively minor part of The Expanse, and most of the stuff they do is command level so being able to manually pilot your own ship wouldn't really add to the experience in this context imo.

Fbh

Honestly I've always found it weird how more narrative focused space/sci fi games aren't more of a thing.

It's seems like such an ideal setting for fun stories in unique locations with unique gadgets and weapons.

I get that making an open solar system with multiple planets to fly to an all that would be demanding but there aren't even that many linear games and most that exist are of the Halo inspired super soldier type.

The only modern franchise I can think that even tried to be an equivalent of something like Star Wars/Star Trek/BSG, etc is Mass Effect

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I think so yes. Main concern is that Star Citizen has not shown competence in keeping their scope creep under control.

Well atm, they are doing way better then before. They are really hammering those features in right now and new gameplay. These recent public events with Capital ships is amazing. Really cool to see the whole server working together.

Guilty_AI

This won't appeal to everyone, but the indie science fiction RPG Stellar Tactics has space and ground combat.

Most of the mechanics are now in place, and the developer is now focusing on adding story content.

This looks reeeeeally cool, i'm surprised how people aren't talking more about it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The new expansion to Elite Dangerous is adding the ability to exit your ship and a lot of stuff associated with that. Might be one to watch.

Last edited:
Everspace 2 it is

The first game was a big surprise for me. It looked and played amazing, and i thoroughly enjoyed the roguelike aspect to it.
Slightly bummed that they dropped the roguelike trappings for the sequel, but it does look freaking amazing. Absolutely picking it up when it leaves early access.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Squadron 42 is what you want. Hopefully beta this year.
BD2HD4u.gif

pr0cs

No man's sky in VR is really good, I'm surprised more vr teams haven't stolen their control mechanisms. Esp the ship piloting, it absolutely murders games like Rogue Squadron which was sold has space combat /piloting.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Other then the story where he needs Squadron 42 for, most of the other things he can do already in SC.

Guilty_AI

It be already. I played it yesterday with some of my buddies. The Alpha has more content than most "Completed" games.
I suppose its on areas like dogfights and some maps for PvP, cause last i checked things like planet surfaces and cities it seemed incredibly buggy and unfinished.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I suppose its on areas like dogfights and some maps for PvP, cause last i checked things like planet surfaces and cities it seemed incredibly buggy and unfinished.
They're more or less finished now. There have been several planet engine updates. Think it's on version 4 right now. The game has been more stable than it ever has with the latest patch.

But that's just my experience so far.

kyliethicc

Death Stranding in space, just setting up colonies on planets with different gravity and various toxic atmospheres would be super fun. Space gear and shit.

That's my dream space game. And throw in some aliens for combat why not.

Guilty_AI

Death Stranding in space, just setting up colonies on planets with different gravity and various toxic atmospheres would be super fun. Space gear and shit.

That's my dream space game. And throw in some aliens for combat why not.
Thats basically No Mans Sky, though theres no in-depth traversal mechanics like Death Stranding

kyliethicc

Thats basically No Mans Sky, though theres no in-depth traversal mechanics like Death Stranding
Does it mess around with balance and gravity though?

I really liked how DS made traveling a challenge. The balancing of carrying all your gear, the rain timefall gear wear system, the terrain challenges, the BTs, etc.

I'd love to play a sequel where Sam goes to the moon, then Mars, and other planets and moons like Europa and shit. Working to make deliveries of gear using the skeletons and carriers, etc, all while now having to deal with heavy/light gravity and limited oxygen supply and shit... itd be so cool.

Never gonna happen tho lol.

Top Bottom