• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLADD challenges the industry to make 20% of characters on TV LGBTQ by 2025

Durask

Key findings include:

• The report found a record-high percentage of Latinx series regulars (up to 9% from 8%), as well as a record-tying number of Black (held steady at 22%), and Asian Pacific Islander series regulars (held steady at 8%) across broadcast television regular characters.
  • Of the 879 series regular characters scheduled to appear on broadcast scripted primetime television this season, 90 (10.2%) are LGBTQ. There are an additional 30 LGBTQ recurring characters.
  • Of the 488 total regular and recurring LGBTQ characters on scripted primetime broadcast, cable, and streaming programs, only 38 (8%) are transgender, and they appear on only 28 shows.
  • Bisexual+ characters make up 26% of all LGBTQ characters across all three platforms. This is a one percent decrease from last year, and far from the reality that bisexual+ people make up the majority of the community.
  • Netflix again counts the highest number of LGBTQ regular and recurring characters on their scripted originals among streaming services tallied, while Showtime is the most LGBTQ-inclusive network on cable. The CW is again the most LGBTQ-inclusive broadcast network, with 15.4% of series regulars counted as LGBTQ.
  • GLAAD found 109 regular LGBTQ characters on original scripted series on the streaming services Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix, an increase of 34 from last year’s tally. There are an additional 44 recurring LGBTQ characters, an increase of seven from last year. This is a total of 153 LGBTQ characters.
  • GLAAD found 121 regular LGBTQ characters on primetime scripted cable series, an increase of one from the previous year. There are an additional 94 reccuring LGBTQ characters, up from 88 in last year’s report. This is 215 regular and recurring LGBTQ characters expected on primetime scripted cable series.
  • Broadcast hits a new record high percentage: 46% of regular characters counted on broadcast primetime television were women. This is up three percentage points from last year and a record high, but still underrepresents the reality that women make up 51% of the U.S. population.
  • This year, there is only one asexual character counted across all platforms, (Todd Chavez on Netflix's BoJack Horseman). This is a drop from two asexual characters last year.
  • The percentage of regular characters with a disability on broadcast is up to 27 characters or 3.1 percent. This is the highest percentage GLAAD has found, but still falls short of the U.S. population of people with disabilities.

Yes, has to be exactly 51%.
50.999999% will not cut it you damn bigots.

CyberPanda

Banned
Well I am LGBT so I need at least 20% of characters in media to be LGBT because I am insecure and pathetic. My entire being is based around me sucking cock. I love sucking cock and taking cock up my ass and need everybody to know that. My sexuality is all that I am. There is nothing else about me that's interesting or that matters. I need characters in movies that also like cock. I need to see them suck on on the big screen. I am sick and tired of being persecuted for sucking cock.
Nice. The real question is how many cocks can you suck in one day?:eek:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I really feel that lipstick lesbians shouldn't count. That is a cishet fetish!

But imma gonna keep my mouth shut so they don't catch on and get rid of my hot girl on girl :p

Top Bottom