• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glasses wearers, do you suffer from chromatic aberration and distortions? How do you deal with it?

Larxia

Hello everyone, this is my first thread and this topic is really important for me. It might be a bit long, sorry for that.

Like many people, I'm nearsighted, and I have been for over 10 years, however, it's only recently (well almost 2 years ago now...) that being nearsighted became a nightmare for me.
I'll try to keep it short, but here's a summary and a background explanation before getting to the gaming related part.

In december of 2017, I got the lenses on my glasses renewed (kept the same frame) with a slightly higher prescription, and from this day, my vision became terrible.
I started noticing chromatic aberration and distortions everywhere.
Every objects I see have yellow and blue fringes around them, and everything looks distorted, curved (barrel distortion).
The opticians didn't keep the old lenses so I couldn't go back to them to compare. Of course I got them remade, but the issues were still there.
I started seeing other opticians, ophtalomologists, all kind of profesionnals in the vision field to get answers, but NO ONE was able to help me, they all pretend to be surprised when I talk about these issues and claim they never
even heard of such things, which seem hard to believe.
A quick google search will immediatly show informations about these issues with specific terms and everything, but somehow, all professionnals don't know anything about it.

My life has been very hard because of this, I've been going through so many eye doctors and opticians, I tried multiple kind of glasses, different lens materials (yes I tried CR-39 lenses, and also tried free form lenses), different prescriptions, nothing fixed it.
It's a glasses issue, not an "eye" issue, I don't have these aberrations and distortions with contact lenses (or with naked eyes), however contact lenses make me feel very tired, it's hard to explain, but I don't enjoy gaming and watching movies and stuff with contact lenses, I don't feel focused.

If I post this here on gaf, it's also because other than ruining my life, this has also completely ruined my gaming life.
I've always been attached to visuals, always really cared about image quality, and now, all of this is just completely gone.
I always hated post effects like chromatic aberration, lens effects and such, and now I have them direclty into my eyes.

The consensus of my researches over all this time seem to be that these effects are actually not that rare, and it's part of how lenses work, all glasses come with that (to different degrees depending on the prescription), but most people apparently don't see them somehow.

What I would like to know with this thread is if some of you suffer from the same issues?
Surely plenty of people here wear glasses too and also care about image quality (because most of the eye doctors / opticians don't even understand why seeing my screen all distorted bothers me, so yeah...), so I would really like to hear from people here who do care about vision quality.

Did you ever notice such thing? And can you maybe try to see if you can spot them now that I talked about it?

Here is a picture I found online that illustrate really well how I see with glasses:

curved-door.jpg

Left image is a blurry vision without glasses, and right image is with glasses.
You can see that everything is curved, distorted. The door is completly curved, along with chromatic aberration (orange fringe) along the door line.
It's also extremely noticeable on a screen, and looking at things not directly in front of me (so looking slightly on the left or right of the screen without moving my head, just my eyes, on a 24" monitor) will immediatly create chromatic aberration around windows, letters and such.
This video also show the issue pretty well :

My monitor basically looks curved like an old CRT monitor, but only more extreme and with chromatic aberration. It leads to a lot of headaches and dizziness, along with the image just looking terrible.

I'm really, really surprised, and confused, that this isn't a more common topic, it's very hard to find people talking about these issues, but I can't believe it doesn't bother anyone here who's into nice graphics and high quality screen and all that stuff, since all of this would be ruined by the glasses you wear. It's driving me crazy, I feel like I'm living in some kind of parallel world, I can find stuff talking about the issues and that it's apparently "normal", but NO ONE seem to know anything about it.

I'm sorry about this quite long post, but I really wanted to ask about this here too.

This situation is killing me, I'm getting really depressed because of it.
I can't enjoy things anymore, I haven't played a game or watched a movie I really cared about since this started (because I feel like I'm just wasting the experiences, I can't enjoy them in these conditions and it frustrates me), and I really, really miss gaming.
If at least I could still enjoy gaming, taking my mind off these issues while I play, it would be easier to live with, but right now I have no escapes to it, all activities involving vision are ruined.

I would really like to know your thoughts, hear your answers and feedback please, and thank you.
I hope I will be able to enjoy Cyberpunk 2077 with decent vision one day :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

Larxia

how about some lasik?
Oh, yeah I forgot to mention that I really don't want to get Lasik, I've seen a lot of reports about issues like halos and glares.
Many people say that it's perfectly fine in a bright day outside, but that it's really bad in scenarios with more contrast, like at night or in front of a screen, with for example subtitles having a glowing light around them and such (I actually often have something similar when I wear contacts.)
And if you don't like the result with lasik, it's done and you can't go back, so it's pretty scary.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That happens with higher powers. It's the nature of light.

Try a smaller frame with smaller lenses. CA and distortion is most apparent when you're not looking with your eyes pointed forward..

Also, try lenses with a higher abbe value.

Larxia

Try a smaller frame with smaller lenses. CA and distortion is most apparent when you're not looking with your eyes pointed forward..

Also, try lenses with a higher abbe value.
I already tried CR-39 lenses, which is the material with the highest abbe value, and it's not really any different.
The only thing that makes it better is to reduce the power quite a lot, but that of course leads to more blur.
I'm -4.25 by the way.

Also "That happens with higher powers. It's the nature of light. " it's what my researches concluded to yes, but what I don't get then is why all professionnals completely ignore it and pretend like they never heard about such things (hell one eye doctor even recommended me to get an MRI check because of that...), and why almost no glasses wearer ever talk about these issues either, how is this not more known / common if it's that "normal"? It extremely confuses me.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
why almost no glasses wearer ever talk about these issues either, how is this not more known / common if it's that "normal"? It extremely confuses me.
They do talk about it, that's why there's discussion about it online. I think it bothers you particularly more than most other people though.

Larxia

They do talk about it, that's why there's discussion about it online. I think it bothers you particularly more than most other people though.
There are some... yes, but they are extremely rare, it's very hard to find people talking about these issues, and the few discussions I found about it didn't really lead to any answers as people usually don't come back to say if they found a solution or not (I guess they didn't).

DESTROYA

Sorry to hear that OP. I’ve been wearing the same prescription for a while and don’t have that problem.
Did you try some sort of anti reflective coating? It reduces eye strain and lets more light into the eyes.
What shape are your glasses? You might want to change the size of the glasses too.

Why am I experiencing peripheral distortion when wearing my new glasses?
Answer:
Some people may experience a distortion of their peripheral vision after receiving a new glasses prescription. This is a fairly common occurrence that can be a result of the adjustment period as your eyes get used to the new prescription. This type of peripheral vision distortion can often occur if the new glasses are of a higher prescription or the frames are larger than what you are used to. Glasses focus on the section of the visual field that is right in front of you, in order to help correct your vision and perception. If you've been wearing glasses for a long time, your brain gets used to this and can find it hard to adjust if the prescription is changed.
In addition to this, hi index lens materials can also cause a distortion of peripheral vision. These types of lenses are thinner and lighter than normal, which means the back surface of the lens is placed further away from the natural curve of your eye. This distance can in turn affect your peripheral view. Another type of lens that can cause peripheral distortions are multifocal lenses. These lenses are designed to provide clear vision in certain areas. Towards the edges or sides of multifocal lenses, there are peripheral distortions.
What is peripheral vision?
Peripheral vision is the term for the part of the visual field that is not right in the centre of your gaze. It is usually used for detecting motion, colours, lights and shapes at the edges of your vision, but the human ability to do this is weaker when compared with animals. The reason for this is that humans have the lowest density of receptor cells at the edges of the retina, with a higher concentration found in the centre.
What to do if your glasses are distorting your peripheral vision?
If you are experiencing peripheral vision distortion as a result of your new glasses, go back to your optometrist and let them know about your problem. Sometimes the fit of your new glasses will need to be changed to minimise this distorted effect.In some cases, a short adjustment period may be all that is required to help your eyes get used to the new glasses. Particularly if this is the first time you are wearing multifocal lenses. Ensure you speak to your optometrist about how to properly use your multifocal lenses.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, yeah I forgot to mention that I really don't want to get Lasik, I've seen a lot of reports about issues like halos and glares.
Many people say that it's perfectly fine in a bright day outside, but that it's really bad in scenarios with more contrast, like at night or in front of a screen, with for example subtitles having a glowing light around them and such (I actually often have something similar when I wear contacts.)
And if you don't like the result with lasik, it's done and you can't go back, so it's pretty scary.
I've had 3 family members get it and love the fact they can see now.

SpiceRacz

I had a kind of similar experience with my vision. I got whacked across the face pretty hard and started experiencing vision problems in one of my eyes. I thought it would go away on it's own, but I ended up at an ophthalmologist and they didn't have any answers. I ended up getting an MRI for a concussion and they discovered a spot on my brain. I'm having to visit a neurologist and have MRIs regularly. I was scared to death that my vision was fucked forever. It's still nowhere near back to normal, but I can drive, play video games, and enjoy movies. My vision problems mostly flare up now when my body is warm. So, hopefully yours will somewhat normalize over time.

Have any of your doctors even mentioned the idea it could be neurological? I'm not asking this to scare you, just something to consider.

Last edited:

Larxia

Sorry to hear that OP. I’ve been wearing the same prescription for a while and don’t have that problem.
Did you try some sort of anti reflective coating? It reduces eye strain and lets more light into the eyes.
What shape are your glasses? You might want to change the size of the glasses too.

Why am I experiencing peripheral distortion when wearing my new glasses?
Thanks for the infos but I know all of these, like I said I spent more than a year going through many eye doctor, optometrists and such, so I had time to learn about all these things.
What do you mean by "some sort of anti reflective coating" ? A specific one? Because I don't know about any that can reduce chromatic aberration, I did try different coating but it never affected this.
My glasses are rectangular, although I tried other frame and the problem is there with all shapes and materials and sizes. The only thing that can lower these aberrations is lowering the strengh, by a lot (which then becomes too blury).

Only the first few days I got my glasses. Never ever since.
This is something I'm really surprised with, it's not the first time I read that, I saw several people mentionning that, that they can see distortions (no chromatic aberrations though I guess?) the first days and then it goes away. Does it really go away or is it just you getting used to it but you can still notice it if you think about it? Obvious to say that for me it never went away after all this time. Also what's weird is that I never complained about such issues in the past, this is the first time this happened and it's not going away no matter what kind of glasses I wear now.

I've had 3 family members get it and love the fact they can see now.
I mean, some people are happy, some people are disappointed. It apparently also has a lot to do with how much you care about visual clarity and what your activities are, from a lot of reports I've seen, it's usually really great outside in bright daylight, but it gets a lot worse in situations with darker lights, like in front of a screen or while driving at night. I read about a lot of people really regretting lasik because now they see halos everywhere around lights at night, around subtitle and text on a screen and such... And these issues really don't seem to be rare, I even saw a video and read an article about one of the board member of the people who first worked on lasik, and he said that it wasn't good enough and presented risks of side effects, but lasik got approved anyway and after that he's been warning people that if you do lasik, you need to really understand the side effects and know that you can live with them.

Larxia

I had a kind of similar experience with my vision. I got whacked across the face pretty hard and started experiencing vision problems in one of my eyes. I thought it would go away on it's own, but I ended up at an ophthalmologist and they didn't have any answers. I ended up getting an MRI for a concussion and they discovered a spot on my brain. I'm having to visit a neurologist and have MRIs regularly. I was scared to death that my vision was fucked forever. It's still nowhere near back to normal, but I can drive, play video games, and enjoy movies. My vision problems mostly flare up now when my body is warm. So, hopefully yours will somewhat normalize over time.

Have any of your doctors even mentioned the idea it could be neurological? I'm not asking this to scare you, just something to consider.
There's hardly any chance it's neurological, it really happened right when I got new glasses, like, from one day to another. And like I said I don't have these issues with naked eyes or with contact lenses, it's specifically glasses that do this, and from my researches, chromatic aberration and distortions are a thing, it's not a myth or something, they are part of how light is deformed when going through the lenses, but I'm just surprised that it's not more talked about and that almost no one seem to care about it.

V2Tommy

I switched to contacts because the state of glasses optics got so bad in the past 20 years. It’s shocking how most people don’t notice or care about CA.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, some people are happy, some people are disappointed. It apparently also has a lot to do with how much you care about visual clarity and what your activities are, from a lot of reports I've seen, it's usually really great outside in bright daylight, but it gets a lot worse in situations with darker lights, like in front of a screen or while driving at night. I read about a lot of people really regretting lasik because now they see halos everywhere around lights at night, around subtitle and text on a screen and such... And these issues really don't seem to be rare, I even saw a video and read an article about one of the board member of the people who first worked on lasik, and he said that it wasn't good enough and presented risks of side effects, but lasik got approved anyway and after that he's been warning people that if you do lasik, you need to really understand the side effects and know that you can live with them.
People that were losing their vision and glasses that really didn't help them don't care about not being to be able to see at night "well". Or "clarity" when they barely saw anything at all before. One of em is a truck driver and he has never complained about lights or the night. But like you said it depends on the person.

bati

I see bright (white, yellow) colors intensely at night, to the point I avoid driving in rain at night at all costs. I can't make them out, everything feels like someone's trying to channel the power of sun directly into my eyes. -2.5 on both eyes, everything else is fine though - no CA fortunately but my issue might be related to yours.

Last edited:

Larxia

I switched to contacts because the state of glasses optics got so bad in the past 20 years. It’s shocking how most people don’t notice or care about CA.
Well finally! So you see it with any kind of lenses if you wear glasses too? I'm really surprised that no one seems to see it. Were you bothered by distortions too?
I think CA is worse than distortions, I guess you can kinda get used to distortions if they are not too strong, even if it really sucks to not see things like how they are supposed to be, but CA can't be ignored, it's just really present, it's always there on the edges of everything, it looks really bad.

Are you wearing ONLY contacts now?

Larxia

I see bright (white, yellow) colors intensely at night, to the point I avoid driving in rain at night at all costs. I can't make them out, everything feels like someone's trying to channel the power of sun directly into my eyes. -2.5 on both eyes, everything else is fine though - no CA fortunately but my issue might be related to yours.
Do you mean like, it's brighter? More saturated? Do they appear as intense without glasses or is it only with glasses?

V2Tommy

Well finally! So you see it with any kind of lenses if you wear glasses too? I'm really surprised that no one seems to see it. Were you bothered by distortions too?
I think CA is worse than distortions, I guess you can kinda get used to distortions if they are not too strong, even if it really sucks to not see things like how they are supposed to be, but CA can't be ignored, it's just really present, it's always there on the edges of everything, it looks really bad.

Are you wearing ONLY contacts now?

Contacts 18 hours a day since I turned 16... in 1998. I have a high prescription so my glasses gave me awful CA, especially for computer use. Barrel distortion as well, sure, but that’s really based on lens size/frame size and I got used to it.

I got a “backup” pair of glasses a year ago with the latest tech, and holy shit, completely unusable. Nightmare fuel.

Contacts are flawless, give me 25/20 vision and are dirt cheap. They’re not for everyone, but hell, I’m glad they’re for me.

Larxia

Contacts 18 hours a day since I turned 16... in 1998. I have a high prescription so my glasses gave me awful CA, especially for computer use. Barrel distortion as well, sure, but that’s really based on lens size/frame size and I got used to it.

I got a “backup” pair of glasses a year ago with the latest tech, and holy shit, completely unusable. Nightmare fuel.

Contacts are flawless, give me 25/20 vision and are dirt cheap. They’re not for everyone, but hell, I’m glad they’re for me.
I tried different size of lenses and it doesn't really seem to affect barrel distortion that much. Most glasses that are at my prescription actually feel too strong, everything seems too small and far away, with barrel distortion. Lowering the strengh help, but then, well there's obviously more blur.
Contacts however don't give me this feeling at all, they don't feel too strong, even when they give me a much clearer vision than glasses.
My problem with contacts is that they make my eyes really really tired, it's a strange feeling and I'm not sure how to describe it, my eyes feel much "heavier". And it's not just related to time spent with them, if I put contacts on and then start playing a game, I don't feel comfortable, it's... well it's not comfy, I'm not into what I do, I feel an annoyance, and it's not the contacts itching my eyes or something, it's really a feeling of my eyes being heavy and tired, having troubles to focus. If I use glasses instead, my eyes feel much more relaxed, but then there are all the issues we've talked about.

I also have an issue with contacts where very often I can see some "double vision" / "ghosting", like some text being slightly doubled, especially if it's a white text on a darker background. It's not always present to the same degree, but it's mostly always there to some level.

18 hours a day is a lot! What contacts do you wear? Do you also use drops or something to help?

Never experienced such a thing. If you bought the appropriate lenses and the glasses are properly installed and tuned, you shouldn't have this problem.

V2Tommy

I’ve used every brand of contact on the market (I make a point of sampling every new product as they come out) and the Acuvue Vita is basically a miracle. Rounded edges! Witchcraft engineering.

Vita means life!

cr0w

Old Member
OP what's your prescription strength? I'm extremely nearsighted, -6.00 in each eye. Glasses are unwearable for me because of the same issues you're having. I don't enjoy contacts, but they're my only option. I use Acuvue Oasys for dry eyes, and they don't bother me as much as other lenses have.

Larxia

Never experienced such a thing. If you bought the appropriate lenses and the glasses are properly installed and tuned, you shouldn't have this problem.
Well I would love if it was like but it's really not, these issues are always there even with whatever can be considered as " appropriate lenses", seems like it's just how glasses are...

OP what's your prescription strength? I'm extremely nearsighted, -6.00 in each eye. Glasses are unwearable for me because of the same issues you're having. I don't enjoy contacts, but they're my only option. I use Acuvue Oasys for dry eyes, and they don't bother me as much as other lenses have.
I'm -4,25 / -4,50. They actually even wanted to give me -4.75 at first but it was really too much.
Some other doctors found me a prescription of just -4,25. I wear -4,25 in contacts.

So you're having the same issues too. I don't want for people to suffer from these issues, but I have to be honest, it feels "nice" to meet people who struggle with the same things, because most people just think I'm crazy.
What are the reasons you don't enjoy contacts? Could it be like me where your contacts make your eyes feel very heavy and tired even after not a long time?

Seems like Acuvue is appreciated here, I think the only Acuvues I tried were some dailies. I usually wear Biofinity (I used to wear air optix but they were even worse).

cr0w

Old Member
Well I would love if it was like but it's really not, these issues are always there even with whatever can be considered as " appropriate lenses", seems like it's just how glasses are...

I'm -4,25 / -4,50. They actually even wanted to give me -4.75 at first but it was really too much.
Some other doctors found me a prescription of just -4,25. I wear -4,25 in contacts.

So you're having the same issues too. I don't want for people to suffer from these issues, but I have to be honest, it feels "nice" to meet people who struggle with the same things, because most people just think I'm crazy.
What are the reasons you don't enjoy contacts? Could it be like me where your contacts make your eyes feel very heavy and tired even after not a long time?

Seems like Acuvue is appreciated here, I think the only Acuvues I tried were some dailies. I usually wear Biofinity (I used to wear air optix but they were even worse).

It's not that I don't enjoy contacts, it's just that I routinely can just feel them in my eyes so a lot of the day I'm adjusting them or rubbing my eyes because it feels like I have a hair or something in them. If your eyes are feeling heavy and tired there's something wrong with your prescription or the lenses themselves and it's causing them to strain too much. Acuvue dailies were okay for me, but I really had to go with contacts specifically for dry eyes because I have allergies and the combination of that with dry eyes just made many brands unusable. I tried those "Hubble" contacts you get shipped to you from a startup and I couldn't last for more than an hour with them. I would really consider talking to someone about why contacts make your eyes feel the way they do, because seeing correctly shouldn't strain your eyes at all.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've not really noticed. My vision is pretty bad--contacts are -4.50 and -5.50 and I have some astigmatism. I mostly wear glasses as I've gotten older (40 now) as I developed some dry eye problems that make it uncomfortable to wear contacts too often/long (and also make me a bad fit for lasik). I've largely gotten used to it and really only wear contacts (Focus Dailies are the ones that seem to stay moist the longest for me, tried a bunch of different ones before giving up) if I'm going to be getting super sweaty and looking down a lot (like doing yard work) where it's going to get on the glasses.

I'd just go back to your optometrist, or find another/better one, and talk about the CA issue and see if you can find one that's knowledgeable enough to find a lens size and shape that works best for you.

Larxia

It's not that I don't enjoy contacts, it's just that I routinely can just feel them in my eyes so a lot of the day I'm adjusting them or rubbing my eyes because it feels like I have a hair or something in them. If your eyes are feeling heavy and tired there's something wrong with your prescription or the lenses themselves and it's causing them to strain too much. Acuvue dailies were okay for me, but I really had to go with contacts specifically for dry eyes because I have allergies and the combination of that with dry eyes just made many brands unusable. I tried those "Hubble" contacts you get shipped to you from a startup and I couldn't last for more than an hour with them. I would really consider talking to someone about why contacts make your eyes feel the way they do, because seeing correctly shouldn't strain your eyes at all.
I already asked my main ophtalmologist about the contacts issue, he didn't know but thought maybe it could be related to a convergence problem, because the convergence isn't the same with contacts and lenses, so I went to see an orthtoptist for that, had multiple sessions but she didn't see anything wrong with my eyes and had no clue either to my problem with contacts.

Larxia

I've not really noticed. My vision is pretty bad--contacts are -4.50 and -5.50 and I have some astigmatism. I mostly wear glasses as I've gotten older (40 now) as I developed some dry eye problems that make it uncomfortable to wear contacts too often/long (and also make me a bad fit for lasik). I've largely gotten used to it and really only wear contacts (Focus Dailies are the ones that seem to stay moist the longest for me, tried a bunch of different ones before giving up) if I'm going to be getting super sweaty and looking down a lot (like doing yard work) where it's going to get on the glasses.

I'd just go back to your optometrist, or find another/better one, and talk about the CA issue and see if you can find one that's knowledgeable enough to find a lens size and shape that works best for you.
I've seen tons of optometrists, they all said they never heard about such issues like chromatic aberration, telling me I was the "first client ever" to complain about these, most of them didn't even know it was possible to have distortions and such, some even really insisted that it wasn't a thing and basically assumed I was crazy.
I only found one that kinda accepted the idea that chromatic aberration was real, I tried free form lenses (and they are expensive) because apparently they are supposed to reduce distortions and maybe aberrations, but it was the exact same thing.

bati

Do you mean like, it's brighter? More saturated? Do they appear as intense without glasses or is it only with glasses?

Brighter and they appear to be repeating, I'll see 2 or 3 sources of light from the same source, a bit like CA except that there's no colour shift. They are less intense without glasses.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen tons of optometrists, they all said they never heard about such issues like chromatic aberration, telling me I was the "first client ever" to complain about these, most of them didn't even know it was possible to have distortions and such, some even really insisted that it wasn't a thing and basically assumed I was crazy.
I only found one that kinda accepted the idea that chromatic aberration was real, I tried free form lenses (and they are expensive) because apparently they are supposed to reduce distortions and maybe aberrations, but it was the exact same thing.

Are you seeing it when looking straight at something and in the center of your vision? I definitely get some distortion toward the peripheral of my lens vision with my glasses or if I have my head turned slightly and I'm looking back at say this monitor with my eyes. That's just normal, you aren't going to have undistorted vision at all angles with glasses like you do with contacts.

Larxia

Are you seeing it when looking straight at something and in the center of your vision? I definitely get some distortion toward the peripheral of my lens vision with my glasses or if I have my head turned slightly and I'm looking back at say this monitor with my eyes. That's just normal, you aren't going to have undistorted vision at all angles with glasses like you do with contacts.
I don't have chromatic abberation in the *very* center of the lens, but if I look even sliiightly off center, there's immediatly chromatic aberration.
Like if I look at some line, border of a window or something on the monitor, and move my head even 2cm on the left or right, I can already see a blue or yellow fringe appearing along that line.
About the distortion, I can't really say about the center of the vision since the distortion is something that needs more than just a single point to be seen.
My monitor clearly looks like, I don't know, some kind of ball coming toward me, or like I said, like a CRT monitor kinda.
It wouldn't bother me that much if it really was just in the extreme peripheral area of the lenses, but it's not the case.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have chromatic abberation in the *very* center of the lens, but if I look even sliiightly off center, there's immediatly chromatic aberration.
Like if I look at some line, border of a window or something on the monitor, and move my head even 2cm on the left or right, I can already see a blue or yellow fringe appearing along that line.
About the distortion, I can't really say about the center of the vision since the distortion is something that needs more than just a single point to be seen.
My monitor clearly looks like, I don't know, some kind of ball coming toward me, or like I said, like a CRT monitor kinda.
It wouldn't bother me that much if it really was just in the extreme peripheral area of the lenses, but it's not the case.

Yeah, that's not normal/what I experience. Sorry you're dealing with that and not getting help from optometrists!

I had some cheap glasses that kind of did this, I got them from those 30$ websites. Usable in an emergency but had barrel distortion and didn't fit too well.

I paid extra for Zeiss lenses in my new pair and I have very good vision with them. Zero distortion and no issues with fringing or colors. They even have this logo on the lens itself and you get a card to certify that they are genuine. Very high quality.

Some opticians here offer Hoya, Seiko and Zeiss lenses. Zeiss is usually the top end one.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned

Similar experience, I wear contact lenses since I turned 16 in 1997 on daily basis because I hate how glasses shift or deform my perception of depth and proportions.
It's unnoticeable when I'm at home or generally indoor, but it still feel unnatural outside looking at something further than 5 meters.

I can't drive my car or ride my motorcycle with confidence if I have glasses on instead of contacts.

neto

I have the same problem with my newest glasses, both CA and the distortion and both kinda "went away" with time, I mean they are still there but somehow my brain learned to ignore it, but if I look for it it's still there.

Funny thing with the glasses is that (I guess a side effect of CA) they made me see some images in some kind of 3d it was a very weird experience at first and no one I asked had it, it was mainly with images with blue/purple and red next to each other, and after some investigation apparently the reason for it was that the way the glasses bended the light did it in some way that separated the color differently for each eye and that created the 3d effect

Last edited:
My wife and I both switched to high-index lenses about two years ago. We both had a strong reaction with the barrel effect. It took about 2 weeks of constant wear to get used to it for me, more than a month for my wife. She would constantly take them off due to the uncomfortable feeling she got.

Larxia

I had some cheap glasses that kind of did this, I got them from those 30$ websites. Usable in an emergency but had barrel distortion and didn't fit too well.

I paid extra for Zeiss lenses in my new pair and I have very good vision with them. Zero distortion and no issues with fringing or colors. They even have this logo on the lens itself and you get a card to certify that they are genuine. Very high quality.

Some opticians here offer Hoya, Seiko and Zeiss lenses. Zeiss is usually the top end one.
Do you know what was so different about these lenses that make them better?
Because I did try online glasses too, Zenni and Eyebuydirect, and I can't see any quality difference with the pairs I got at retail optometrists.
I even got a pair with free form lenses in a retail optometrist last year, they are supposed to greatly reduce distortion, they have some kind of digital surfacing to have multiple center of vision instead of just one in the center, they scan your face with a specific device before ordering the lenses. And it was the exact same damn thing, no difference at all.

Larxia

It's unnoticeable when I'm at home or generally indoor, but it still feel unnatural outside looking at something further than 5 meters.
That's strange, for me the distortions are much more noticeable indoor, because the closer I am to something, the more of it's surface will be in the distorted "area" of the lenses and will look even more curved / convex. My monnitor with my full prescription glasses is totally unusable because of this. I'm right now wearing a pair with a very lowered prescription (reduced the strenght by -1.50) I can see clear up to about 65 cm with them, it's much more comfortable and distortions and chromatic aberration are way less visible, but it's not strong enough (especially if I move back from the desktop to play a game with a controller and I'm at around 90cm from the screen) and I often have some blur on the screen.

I found a lot of informations about how myopia gets worse by wearing full distance prescription during close up activities, when you are nearsighted the image is focused in front of the retina instead of being on it, and the glasses push the light further into your eyes so it can reach the retina, but the problem is that if you wear a pair of glasses that push the light far enough for distance, when you look at something close, the light will be pushed too far, behind the retina, and it leads to axial elongation of the eye, which lead to myopia increasing over time (and why people need to often go back to optometrists to get higher prescriptions). I wish I knew that when I started wearing glasses, maybe I could have avoided my myopia getting worse.

Funny thing with the glasses is that (I guess a side effect of CA) they made me see some images in some kind of 3d it was a very weird experience at first and no one I asked had it, it was mainly with images with blue/purple and red next to each other, and after some investigation apparently the reason for it was that the way the glasses bended the light did it in some way that separated the color differently for each eye and that created the 3d effect
I know what you're talking about, it's indeed more noticeable with colors like blue, red, purple etc being next to each other, they tend to kinda overlap each other.
It actually also happens with several other stuff, like if you look at the youtube logo and move your head left and right, the white arrow can actually move left and right into the box instead of staying in the middle. Same with the reddit logo (especially the little icon on a browser tab).

Skyr

Similar experience, I wear contact lenses since I turned 16 in 1997 on daily basis because I hate how glasses shift or deform my perception of depth and proportions.

I can't drive my car or ride my motorcycle with confidence if I have glasses on instead of contacts.
Same here. I wear monthly soft contacts every day since 14 years. I consider myself legally blind without them (-6.5 on both eyes).
I can’t stand to wear my glasses outside or when driving because of the depth perception issues. I don’t notice any chromatic aberration tho.
I did never wear them continuously for longer periods tho so I can’t tell if it’s just about the brain getting accustomed to it. However I find it still unnatural.

Thought a lot about lasik but I’m also scared about the possible halo stuff and that it would bother me.

Larxia

Thought a lot about lasik but I’m also scared about the possible halo stuff and that it would bother me.
The halo issue really terrifies me, it seems way more common than a lot of people tend to say.
I've seen a lot of reports of people who really regret getting lasik, having constant problems because of it now.

V2Tommy

The halo issue really terrifies me, it seems way more common than a lot of people tend to say.
I've seen a lot of reports of people who really regret getting lasik, having constant problems because of it now.

Agreed on all fronts. If you must have any type of surgery, PRK is the only kind I'd go with.

Skyr

Btw OP I know what you mean by saying your eyes get tired when wearing contacts. Even tho I’m fine with contacts I still notice how I have to blink way more than without when staring at a screen. It gets especially noticeable in the evening after you wore them for many hours. I think it’s just for the fact that your eyes dry out quicker with them. But I still prefer them to my glasses most of the time.

Larxia

Btw OP I know what you mean by saying your eyes get tired when wearing contacts. Even tho I’m fine with contacts I still notice how I have to blink way more than without when staring at a screen. It gets especially noticeable in the evening after you wore them for many hours. I think it’s just for the fact that your eyes dry out quicker with them. But I still prefer them to my glasses most of the time.
What's weird is that I have this feeling almost immediatly, it's uncomfortable right away. It's way less noticeable if I'm like, busy outside doing things, but if I want to focus on a screen, relax on a game or a movie, it's extremely noticeable, even after just a few minutes (and it gets worse after a while usually yeah). And when I remove the contacts, my eyes feel immediatly better, like if some pressure was removed, instant relaxation the very second I remove them.

Skyr

What's weird is that I have this feeling almost immediatly, it's uncomfortable right away. It's way less noticeable if I'm like, busy outside doing things, but if I want to focus on a screen, relax on a game or a movie, it's extremely noticeable, even after just a few minutes (and it gets worse after a while usually yeah). And when I remove the contacts, my eyes feel immediatly better, like if some pressure was removed, instant relaxation the very second I remove them.
I would suggest you to go through and try some different brands if you haven’t already. There were big differences in terms of comfort for me depending on the brand. And more expensive doesn’t necessarily mean better.

petran79

Banned
No, I don't remember having such issues, being myopic. But when it comes to reading text at a close distance (15-20 cm) , I prefer not wearing glasses. They make the text look smaller and it is more tiresome

Larxia

Lasik solved the issue for me. I got rid of halos in just 1 month. It was worth.
And you had the issues I mentionned before?
No halos at all right now? Like not even some glare around text on a screen or something?
I really wish it would be 100% sure that it would be a success, quick fix of eyesight, but the side effects are really scary =/

Barnabot

And you had the issues I mentionned before?
No halos at all right now? Like not even some glare around text on a screen or something?
I really wish it would be 100% sure that it would be a success, quick fix of eyesight, but the side effects are really scary =/
Took 1 month to the halos go away. Your milage may vary. But I'm glad I did the lasik. It's been what... 10 year now.

Top Bottom