• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glitch In Da Matrix, when things finally went your way and you got away with some bullshit and stuck it to the man

Bragr

Banned
Gears of War 3, was some major fuck up in the distribution chain, got the game sent to me almost 4 weeks early.

I got my 3DS XL for 60 bucks a few weeks after it launched. I have no idea what happened but I think they misplaced the barcode for a game on the 3DS or something. The store clerk was some clueless chick that didn't know that a new console is worth more than 60 bucks.

Knack II was free on the PS Store for a few minutes (hours?) because of some mistake from the store people and I claimed it. They never revoked it, so I got it for free.

Anyone else has some stories when you got away with something and could, for once, say fuck you to this expensive money drain of a hobby?

The only time I got glitched in my favor was the original box set of of Bioshock that came with the Big Daddy figure. Mine was all busted up and broken. When I did the legwork to get it replaced I was sent 2.

BigBooper

Biggest win was when I found $150 or so blowing around in a grocery store parking lot. I thought it might some oldsters grocery money so I waited around for 20 minutes or so, but no one showed up.

Amazon sent me the Blade trilogy on bluray by accident.

Pejo

I ordered Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition from Amazon and they sent it to me twice for some reason. I messaged them to let them know afterwards and they said to just keep it, so now I have a sealed copy for when the Nintendo scarcity hits and I can sell it for megabux.

I also won a VIP raffle for Namco Bandai, when I never win raffles. Sure enough, after confirming, a few weeks later I got a box with all kinds of cool shit like collectors editions of several of their games, a bunch of collectibles, tshirts, etc. I even got a collector's edition for SCVI that had a button that would talk to you when you press it like those fancy birthday cards. Something about the stage of history is repeating or something. I didn't realize that button existed until it started talking to me from my closet one night and freaked me the fuck out.

Overall, pretty cool.

CyberChulo

I had ordered a 4TB drive for my PS5 from Amazon. It got delivered. A few hours later, another box got delivered which looked just like the earlier one. Sure enough, it was another 4TB hard drive!

Reactions: Isa

kiphalfton

Found $5 on the sidewalk while walking my dog. Thought it was a poop dollar, a fake, or a trap, so I walked past it. Decided to double back as I had a dog back in my pocket in case it was a poop dollar, picked it up, went back to my apartment and washed it off. Wasn't a poop dollar, or a fake, or a trap. Pretty nice surprise.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
My PS2 fell over and put a massive scratch on my copy of Burnout 3. It was unplayable. I brought it to EB and asked if I could trade it in (they used to allow trade in of damaged products, as they fixed and resold them), and he said "sure, I can refund it for you". Without a receipt he gave me back the full RRP for it. I was standing there shocked, thinking wtf just happened? I clearly asked him for a trade in and told him it was scratched to hell. I walked out of the shop with the money in my hand and dazed.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
My collector version of Spider man ps4 waas marked as delivered when the delivery was delayed, it finally came to my mailbox right after amazon refunded me ... So a great free Spiderma, collectors edition.
And that Dying light for the price of its season pass that appeared here was amazing especially considering how much time I put in the game.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I needed a new hair clipper so went to a electronic store, chose one. Picked up something else too, a game maybe dunno. Girl at the register didnt scan the clipper which was like 80 euros. I didnt say shit but felt like

sweating key and peele GIF

Paid for the other items. Went through the gate, no alarm. Walked to the exit, no security. Got out and was like

tenor.gif

Hopped in the car

2 chainz vroom vroom GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Got home

season 3 episode 6 GIF by Ball in the Family

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I once got 2 NVME drives instead of one. They were stuck together. Unfortunately I paid for it by getting a defective iGPU in the CPU that came with the shipement.

Back in the day I used to buy CPUs and GPUs that you could unlock with a simple physical hack and flash to the next model up. That felt like a freebie.

Bought a bad TV that had bizarre intermittent artefacts that I noticed after a week which happened to be 16 days after delivery and one day outside the return window. Had to fight to get it returned including filing a complaint with the credit card company. Got a refund from the vendor eventually and they took the TV back, but I had to call many times and each time they promised someone would find a solution and call back, but next time there was no record. A few months later I got a refund from the credit card company, probably because they could not prove that they already refunded me. I kind of deserved it because I wasted many hours on the phone, dealing with a repair guy, etc. The repair guy was a fucking moron. He tried to tell me there was no spec for no artefacts so he couldn't do anything about it, and hence implying that I was screwed.

Mhmmm 2077

Once during rain my phone died and I went to the closest shop, asked if I can stay a bit and charge my phone if possible, the lady agreed. I kinda felt bad, so I bought few scratch lottery cards, to show I'm grateful... I left with a charged phone and 3x more money than I spent lmao

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Ordered a new set of rims for my new car and got delivered 2 sets (2nd set was bigger than the one I ordered). Didn't say anything and waited for the shop to claim it or something but no one ever did.

What a colossal fuck up. The rim set I got for free went for like 180 EUR per piece.

Toots

Gold Member
Gears of War 3, was some major fuck up in the distribution chain, got the game sent to me almost 4 weeks early.

I got my 3DS XL for 60 bucks a few weeks after it launched. I have no idea what happened but I think they misplaced the barcode for a game on the 3DS or something. The store clerk was some clueless chick that didn't know that a new console is worth more than 60 bucks.

Knack II was free on the PS Store for a few minutes (hours?) because of some mistake from the store people and I claimed it. They never revoked it, so I got it for free.

Anyone else has some stories when you got away with something and could, for once, say fuck you to this expensive money drain of a hobby?
Happened to my friend and me all the time when we were teenagers.
Buying clothes, cds and videogames for half the price with that technique (Edit : the technique being the old barcode switcharoo).
We even used to empty water bottles inside the store, fill them with rhum (or another white alcohol like vodka), look for the cashier who seemed the most tired and pay that shit 1.50 bucks :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
But it's not sticking it to the man as much as plain stealing :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I received my fnac preordered copy of Control almost two weeks before launch. It was a good feeling, but made me was kind of expecting the same for my next preorders, but it was just that one time...

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I just randomly decided to go to Microcenter on July 4th because I was bored. Walked in at like 1pm and they had a shitload of 3080, 3080 Ti, and 3090s just sitting there on the shelves. I couldn’t believe it. Clerk said they got a lot of them in and it was a slow day because of the holiday.

I walked out of there with a 3080 Ti, then moved my 3080 to my dad’s computer. He was previously using my old Radeon VII, which I then sold on eBay for almost $1600. Both of us got an upgrade for free that day :). Not sure if that counts as a glitch in the matrix but it sure felt like one

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I was one of the lucky few to pickup Motorstorm Apocalypse at its true launch date.

It was launched and quickly removed from shelves on the same day because it was deemed too offensive due to Japan being hit with earthquakes and tsunamis.

AJUMP23

I got pulled over for going 100 in a 55 one time as a driver for the the local hospital. I was going so fast the Trooper had a cop from the local town get me from the opposite direction because he couldn't catch up. When they stopped me they asked why I was going so fast, I explained what I was doing, and they let me go. Just told me to call the troopers office ahead of time next time.

Pantz

Gold Member
There was a time when I was really low on money. Well I went to Best Buy at the time to get two 1-month subscription cards to EverQuest Online Adventures on PS2. I believe they cost like $12.50 each, so $25 total. I had also heard about a deal where if you purchased a physical Best Buy gift card in the store for a minimum of $5 that it would come with a free bonus $5. So I got 2 of those as well and took them to the counter. I can't remember the reason but the employee said it was too complicated so I was sent to customer service for this transaction. I handed them the 2 gift cards and the 2 subscription cards. They activated the gift cards and redeemed them, although I had still yet to give them any money. I had my wallet out ready to pay them when they produced a receipt, gave me my two subscription cards, and $25 in cash. Completely baffled, I said ok thank you very much and left with free subscription cards and free money.

Javthusiast

Banned
Last year there was an error in pricing on psn for Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War. It was the cross gen bundle which I believe normally was 69.99 or 79.99 €. But because of this error me and a ton of other people, cause it was posted on a big german discount aggregate site, got the game for 5€!!!

I managed to play through the entire campaign, wanted to try out the multiplayer a couple days later but they refunded the 5€ and took the game away from my psn account. xD

But hey, brand new cod campaign for 5€ wasn't a bad deal.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm pretty sure I had that kind of thing happen to me a few times but I can't remember what was the specific item that I snached away.

I know, what an amazing contribution to the thread. But hey, I already typed it in so all that effort can't go to waste.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
all my packages get stolen from my front door because i live in the ghetto

wish i was an fortunate as you sir

I'll never understand this American thing with delivery services just leaving expensive shit outside. Seems incredibly stupid. Here in Sweden if you're not at home when they try to deliver they'll leave it at some pick-up point for you to collect, leaving it outside simply is not a thing. Pretty sure it's the same all over Europe.

TheMan

Got free cable in my apartment for a year back when I could not have afforded it so that was nice. Also I was without internet at the time for a while, but my neighbor didn’t password protect their shit so I was still able to download Hannah Hilton’s hardcore debut. Shit was dope.

Batiman

Banned
I sent in my 360 for rrod and they sent me back 2. Gave one to my father. They’re still working till this day.

Isa

Gold Member
Back around January 2k8 my girl and I were shopping at Costco and there were a few bundles of PS3's with games and controllers they were trying to get rid of. There was a slight discount, if I recall the normal bundle had 1 extra controller, and three games with one discounted. Not every bundle was the same but I managed to get what I had been drawn to, Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank and Heavenly Sword. Anyway when at the register the cashier lady only scanned the system and not the label for the whole package, so I got the whole kit for a discounted price, the PS3 was also like 20 space bucks cheaper iirc.

Wasn't sure if I should say anything and then the security at the door checked the receipt and let us pass. Not nearly as significant, but extending gamepass and getting an extra free month if I say sure let it auto-renew, then cancel right after lol.

Shifty1897

I bought Tales of Phantasia for the GBA on release day for $19.99. I'm positive GameStop messed up the pricing somehow but I didn't complain or correct them.

Trogdor1123

I was at a blockbuster and they were clearing out some donkey Kong game on Wii for like $5 and ebgames was taking them in on trade for $20. I bought like 12 copies and walked across the street (literally) and traded them all in still sealed.

I got guild wars 1 a day early... Which meant nothing as it was a MMO.

Nothing really else to say... My stories suck

Antwix

Earlier this year I traded in my Xbox one S all digital to Gamestop and they erroneously traded it in as a Series S (in addition to a $50 trade in bonus). I didn't say anything.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I used a meal order plan before and live in an pretty nice apartment complex in a decent neighborhood. For weeks my packaged food would come a day late and the box would be opened.

I don't use this service anymore.

Quasicat

Several years ago I worked for a company called Duckwall/ALCO, which is basically a small scale Walmart. They had an anniversary sale where they included a 40% off coupon on any single item in the store with the only exception being tobacco. Employees were not allowed to use them and there was an order from the district manager to cut all of the in store ads and throw them away, even though they were also in the local paper. His reasoning for cutting out the coupons is that we were having a customer appreciation sale that Sunday which stacked for a total of 65% off.
I gave some friends of mine a couple of hundred dollars and between all of us, they bought out the entire electronics department. Gaming related, I was able to pick up a PSP, DS Lite, PS2, a couple of Gamecubes, and a bunch of discs for 65% off.

Drizzlehell

Banned
If you knew a PS5 was coming to your door, you'd be waiting in for it..
I ordered mine through one of those parcel lockers and they really had to squeeze that box in there, even though they put it in one of the largest lockers available. I swear I had VCRs that were smaller than PS5 back in the day.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I got 2 copies of Forza Horizon 3 and Sniper Ellite 4 from Tesco click and collect. I got paid 10 hrs overtime this week even though I don't do overtime.
On the other side of the coin I got arrested by the police walking down the street minding my own business. Handcuffed and beat up on the floor at the back of the police station, locked up overnight and then sent to court and labelled a hooligan by the police and fined £250 by the courts

Trogdor1123

I was at a blockbuster and they were clearing out some donkey Kong game on Wii for like $5 and ebgames was taking them in on trade for $20. I bought like 12 copies and walked across the street (literally) and traded them all in still sealed.

I got guild wars 1 a day early... Which meant nothing as it was a MMO.

Nothing really else to say... My stories suck
Oh wait, I do have one!

I once had a mark on a final get entered wrong. I got a garbage 68 on a test but the mark was entered as 86 (which was still a low mark for me).

MilkLizard

I wanted to return my physical copy of Cyberpunk 2077 on Amazon and they refunded me the money and told me to keep the game. Now I'm waiting for the next-gen patch before I play my free copy.

Top Bottom