• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glory of Heracles: Proof of the Soul (DS) official Japanese thread

Aeana

box.jpg

Glory of Heracles: Proof of the Soul (site)
Developer: PAON
Publisher: Nintendo
System: Nintendo DS
Genre: RPG
Release: May 22, 2008 (Japan)

Special movie: http://touch-ds.jp/mfs/st90/special.html
TVCM: http://touch-ds.jp/mediagallery/st90_a.html
Intro: http://touch-ds.jp/mfs/st90/intro.html

Famitsu score: 8/8/8/7

Staff
We don't really know much about the staff so far.
Scenario writer: Kazushige Nojima
Prior credits: Glory of Heracles 2, 3, 4; Final Fantasy 7, 8, 10; Kingdom Hearts; Super Smash Bros. Brawl, etc.

Composer: Yoshitaka Hirota
Prior credits: Shadow Hearts 1, 2

Composer: Aki Hata
Prior credits: Dynamite Headdy, Rocket Knight Adventures, Soul Blade, OP/EDs for many TV shows including Azumanga Daioh

hr.png

Overview
The Glory of Heracles series started on the Famicom and was pretty much a Dragon Quest clone in its first two entries. The major appeal is its setting, which is ancient Greece. When the series jumped to the Super Famicom, it began to come into its own, but ended in 1994 with the release of the 4th entry. Proof of the Soul is the first game the series has seen in 14 years.

Proof of the Soul is a traditional, turn-based RPG with some pretty interesting systems (described below). It can be controlled with either the stylus or the face buttons.

The game stars a young man who has lost his memory and sets out to find out who he is. Eventually, he finds out that he's immortal, and that the friends he's met on his journey are also immortal. They set off toward Olympus to get some answers.

hr.png

Systems

Items
Items appear to be very important in the game. Pieces of equipment allow characters to use certain skills and abilities, and items such as herbs and antidotes can also be equipped to be used automatically under certain conditions.

There are also several ways to manipulate and even create new items. At the alchemy shop, the player can have their equipment improved using the materials found in the wild. Likewise, materials can be brought to a blacksmith in order to create completely new equipment. Rusted items can be brought to the polishing shop in order to restore them to their former glory.

Battle
Combat is a standard turn-based, command-driven affair. Besides regular attacks, though, there are some other systems available.

Magic - Consumes magic points, and can be strengthened by performing a sequence of commands with the stylus.
Skills - Consumes magic points, can be strengthened similarly to magic.
Abilities - Trigger under certain conditions automatically.
Ether - Five elements exist in the world. Ether is always displayed on the screen during battle, and the amount available changes depending on the environment and a characters' actions. Overall, it sounds similar to Chrono Cross's elemental field system, but with a little more fleshed out.
Overkill - When you deal more than enough damage to defeat an enemy, its body dissolves into ether and you regain some MP.

hr.png

Characters

Hero - Awoke on a beach with amnesia, though the fairies say that the hero is Heracles...

Lokhos (Λοχος) - The man I met at the coast is immortal? It must be fate.

Sicyon (Σιχυών) - Journeys with a purpose. His beautiful features cause women to fall at his feet.

Heracles (Ἡρακλῆς,) - A mysterious man who introduces himself as the hero Heracles. Imprisoned for bilking restaurants.

Eris (Έρις) - Involved in an accident, and lost her memory as well. She's traveled around since then.

Achilles (Ἀχιλλεύς) - The hero of Athenai, born to a mortal father and a goddess mother. A hero with a unique personality.

Piazza - The princess of Athenai who, it is said, can open the "Gate of the Sky" connected to Olympus. Her current whereabouts are unknown...

Agon (Αγών) - A mysterious man who stands in the heroes' way. His true self is hidden beneath his black helmet.

hr.png

Screenshots

080409_hercules_01.jpg
080409_hercules_02.jpg
080409_hercules_03.jpg

080409_hercules_06.jpg
080409_hercules_07.jpg
080409_hercules_08.jpg

080409_hercules_09.jpg
080409_hercules_10.jpg
080409_hercules_11.jpg

Aeana

I'm really looking forward to this. Mine shipped earlier today, so I should have it by Friday at the latest (I hope). Is anybody else going to pick it up? I know duckroll is...

There's also a scan of the staff page in the manual, but I don't have a lot of time right now. Hopefully duckroll or somebody else can go through it and look for any notable names.

batbeg

jarrod said:
Watched a vid on GT and was BLOWN AWAY! Here's to hoping NOA picks it up!

This. I don't know why, but this looks really, really good to me and I've been having to restrain myself from ordering a game that's in a language I completely don't understand.

rpgfan16k

Love the thread layout (kudos to Aeana, best "Official Thread" I've seen in awhile), but the battle system seems far from unique to me, and the "amnesia" plot device is not making the hype go up any, either.

Is the video really THAT good?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
rpgfan16k said:
Love the thread layout (kudos to Aeana, best "Official Thread" I've seen in awhile), but the battle system seems far from unique to me, and the "amnesia" plot device is not making the hype go up any, either.

Is the video really THAT good?

Since when does a JRPG not use the amnesia plot device? Thats like complaining about reloading in shooters

HK-47 said:
Since when does a JRPG not use the amnesia plot device? Thats like complaining about reloading in shooters
Etrian Odyssey!

Also, Golden Sun.

And Mario and Luigi.

And the Mega Man Battle Network series.

And - *is shot*

So you mean the pile of NoA's handheld incompetence

I wonder why all the games they don't localize are RPGs. >_>

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pureauthor said:
Etrian Odyssey!

Also, Golden Sun.

And Mario and Luigi.

And the Mega Man Battle Network series.

And - *is shot*
>_>

<_<

>_>

*walks slowly out of the room*

jarrod

Banned
Pureauthor said:
*tosses to the pile along with Soma Bringer, ASH, and Mother 3*
Soma Bringer's a lock for the latter half imo. I mean c'mon, it's obvious... ASH can f-off and die though, we'll be getting Fire Emblem anyway. <3 <3

I think Glory of Heracles and Card Hero both have a half decent shot too, Heracles moreso.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Pureauthor said:
Came here to post this. I don't care if I'm being annoying saying this kind of stuff all the time on threads about games that interest me that will never get localized. :(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Alaluef said:
Came here to post this. I don't care if I'm being annoying saying this kind of stuff all the time on threads about games that interest me that will never get localized. :(
ASH is crap, Soma is okay and I don't have to say anything about Mother 3, I think. You're not that badly off.
This thread is already going to be slim since there will be a whole 2 or 3 of us playing. Let's not derail it with this standard crap.
HK-47 said:
Coming from a guy with a KotOR avatar, let's not talk about recycled material, k? :D

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
RevenantKioku said:
This thread is already going to be slim since there will be a whole 2 or 3 of us playing. Let's not derail it with this standard crap.
I agree, just had to take that off my chest. Good game to you guys, I'll stay to read the impressions, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RevenantKioku said:
ASH is crap, Soma is okay and I don't have to say anything about Mother 3, I think. You're not that badly off.

Coming from a guy with a KotOR avatar, let's not talk about recycled material, k? :D

I never said they didnt use it. But tell me who uses it more, what style is it attributed too?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Aeana said:
No. In fact, my opinion is the opposite. Soma Bringer was blah, and ASH was pretty decent.
Yeah, but you hate action RPGs and are also the only person I've heard say good about ASH. Also, ASH is about $7 now. It would cost me more to buy a copy of Mystic Quest but then I'd at least be getting a good game.
Anyway, I don't know why we're doing this dance. I am kinda excited for this game but EO2 is also kinda stuck in my DS. I'm conflicted. Show me more awesome. :(

duckroll

ASH is an average SRPG with above average ideas (not all of them work). Soma Bringer is an above average action RPG that brings nothing "new" to the table. Not really comparable, but as a fan of both genres I found Soma Bringer to be the much better game.

I'll look through the credits for Heracles again after I fix this chair I bought. One of the fucking screws won't go in!!$&^@($@*^$#@!$@%T FJCK!

Aeana

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, but you hate action RPGs and are also the only person I've heard say good about ASH. Also, ASH is about $7 now. It would cost me more to buy a copy of Mystic Quest but then I'd at least be getting a good game.

I don't think ASH is awesome or anything, but it's a far cry from "crap." Then again, this could be that "best game ever" or "crap" binary GAF scale in the works!

RevenantKioku

Aeana said:
I don't think ASH is awesome or anything, but it's a far cry from "crap." Then again, this could be that "best game ever" or "crap" binary GAF scale in the works!
You hurt me by insinuating I am of such a style.

Aeana

RevenantKioku said:
You hurt me by insinuating I am of such a style.

:(

Anywho, back on topic! Heracles!

To those who don't see anything unique or special about the game, I invite you to watch the three movies I linked in the first post. Though I'm not sure I understand why a game has to be totally unique and innovative for it to be worth your time, that's neither here nor there I guess.

This and Soma Bringer should be arriving Thursday or Friday. I've decided to use my limited grasp of the language to try to work through these games since I'll probably never have a chance to play them in the future. I'm pretty excited about both the game and my first attempt at trying to play a game in Japanese.

jesusraz

Does anyone have an inkling as to why it was originally going to just be called Eternal Chronicle? Something to do with licensing issues, maybe?

Aeana

jesusraz said:
Does anyone have an inkling as to why it was originally going to just be called Eternal Chronicle? Something to do with licensing issues, maybe?

That's as good of a guess as mine. The original series was by Data East, which no longer exists.

jesusraz

Makes sense...Cheers for the thread. I definitely think this needs more attention than it's been getting. Sadly many took a look a 'PAON' and switched off (despite the excellent Jungle Climber coming from the same developer).

duckroll

I HAVE FIXED THE CHAIR! REJOICE ALL FOR NOW I AM TYPING IN COMFORT ONCE MORE! :lol

Seems the game was co-developed by this company: http://www.saizensen.co.jp/

The character designer, motion director and lead planner is a guy called "Han". Yup, just Han, nothing else. :/

The opening animation is by XEBEC, and directed by Shigeru Ueda.

The music is credited to both Hirota and Yuuichi Kanno, no Aki Hata in sight although she said she was working on BGM for the game.

man, I do love that artwork, game's looking promising as hell

on my radar, yessir

P.S. Achilles looks incredibly pompous..I bet you ten he'll be the comic relief :lol

vareon

Pureauthor said:

:((((

Hmm, I liked the artstyle, but the battle system looks standard, so I'll be waiting for more impressions.

IF this gets localized, that is.

:(

duckroll

Aeana said:
It seems that the director is... the Umihara Kawase illustrator? Pretty weird.

Yeah, he's the director, concept designer, and event designer of the game. He owns Studio Saizensen too, they just have 20 people working there. It seems they made the GBA Stellvia game, which is a...... RPG/sim hybrid?

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
I have yet to play a Paon game I enjoy. I'd rather this game be developed by some no-names then by them.

Yeah, I had no faith in them making a RPG either, but it seems.... they didn't have any faith in themselves either! :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Only thing I don't like about this game are the cel-shaded character models, they look too jaggy... perhaps they look better in motion, I haven't seen the videos yet. Game looks pretty sick otherwise though.

djtiesto said:
Only thing I don't like about this game are the cel-shaded character models, they look too jaggy... perhaps they look better in motion, I haven't seen the videos yet. Game looks pretty sick otherwise though.

They aren't models, they're pre-rendered sprites. In turn, they aren't jaggy, they're pixelated. :lol

Herakles isn't wearing a lionskin! HE MUST BE A FAKE!

Also I pray to god, that in some instance where you meet up with Agon, he demands you have an argument in poetic metre.

jarrod

Banned
Aeana said:
That's as good of a guess as mine. The original series was by Data East, which no longer exists.
Gmode bought all Data East's IPs and back catalogue though iirc... did they sell to Paon then?

Aeana

jarrod said:
Gmode bought all Data East's IPs and back catalogue though iirc... did they sell to Paon then?

That seems likely, yes. PAON doesn't seem to have anything to do with the development, and they DO seem to own the IP (since they're credited on all of the VC releases, too), so I imagine their role in this project was organizing the development or something.

RevenantKioku

Just picked the game up. The packaging is shinier than I could have ever dreamed.

RevenantKioku

No double points for buying it day one? BOOO CLUB NINTENDO BOOO.

duckroll

http://blog.livedoor.jp/aki_h/archives/51270657.html#comments

It's really weird that Aki Hata posted on her blog that she's doing BGM for the game but she isn't credited at all!

http://www.twintail-studio.com/newsinfo_main.html

But Hirota's site updated as well. He's said he composed the game along with Yuuichi Kanno, and that Hirota composed 25 of the tracks in the game. That would make this his first significant RPG soundtrack since Shadow Hearts From the New World. YAY! He doesn't mention Aki Hata either... weird. :(

Top Bottom