• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glory to mankind - NieR Automata turns two years old today

mcz117chief

its been two years and the game is still a wreck on pc without Kaldaien's mod
Yeah, that is what really makes me mad. Square Enix and their PC ports. My favorite RPG (FF XIII-2) has one of the most broken ass ports in the history of humanity. It pains me to see the sorry state of that game. I was so frustrated with it that I almost went out and bought Xbox One X JUST to play FF XIII-2 in full HD without it being about as stable as a 400 pound person doing a handstand on a 45° slope coated in butter.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So the story is not set in a post-apocalyptic setting? The story does not focus on asking the player if he is on the right side of the conflict? The story has no focus on sexual innuendos and trying to appeal to male audience? The story does not feature any gloomy, brooding, mysterious characters?

***Apologies, Spoilers follow for rebuttal purposes***

Well considering its a sequel to a game with a post apocalyptic setting... its technically post, post-apocalyptic.

The point is, and this goes for Nier also, sometimes there is no right and wrong side. Just competing interests and agendas. So your simplistic "good guys and "bad guys" description is precisely the thing that Yoko Taro is deconstructing.

There's very little focus on sexual innuendo, and given the importance of 9S to the story, I doubt its aimed at a specific gender or romantic interest group. Yoko's works tend to include characters of all genders, gender-statuses, and sexualities because as he's spoken of in interviews the world contains a diverse range of types with "normal" being merely a synonym for what's most commonplace.

But in any case. what any story about is not just setting and basic character tropes. Its about theme, issues, and authorial intentions.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm not sure if you are talking literally about episode or season because I never bothered with the 2nd season but it is clear as day that episode 1 is not the ending. The comparison is just ridiculous.

I was referring to the first episode and I disagree entirely. It is clear as day that ending A is not the ending. They literally tell you it isn't. Just take the L and move on.

Deanington

I cant wait to start this game. After all the praise that it gets, I am done with being on the fence about it. This thread pushed me over. I am waiting for it to download now on pc. A little concerned about that ( pc port ) based on the comments. Anyways, I didn't really want to just make comments about my purchase. Hopefully I can add more to the praise after I have played it.

Sygma

To be honest there are logical gaps in the game, most definitely with the two brothers who don't make anything clear as far as their intent goes. Like they're here as a kinda weird weeb-y threat, while everything else actually has meaning tied to it, which was kinda disappointing

Also 9s. He's the main reason I'll never replay this game because I absolutely can't fucking stand characters like him. All rage and pain, no brain. Absolutely terrible, also his gameplay more than overstayed its welcome. Game had some of the worse example of false advertising. You spend more time playing 9s and his trash gameplay than anyone else

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
To be honest there are logical gaps in the game, most definitely with the two brothers who don't make anything clear as far as their intent goes. Like they're here as a kinda weird weeb-y threat, while everything else actually has meaning tied to it, which was kinda disappointing

Also 9s. He's the main reason I'll never replay this game because I absolutely can't fucking stand characters like him. All rage and pain, no brain. Absolutely terrible, also his gameplay more than overstayed its welcome. Game had some of the worse example of false advertising. You spend more time playing 9s and his trash gameplay than anyone else

Nothing you say is remotely correct, well done.

Can i ask any nier 1 fans please...the farming crops in my garden, is it based on in game time or the ps3 clock?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Can i ask any nier 1 fans please...the farming crops in my garden, is it based on in game time or the ps3 clock?

100% system clock based, you can blast through it in no time. 100%-ing the game isn't terribly time consuming.

angelic

Banned
100% system clock based, you can blast through it in no time. 100%-ing the game isn't terribly time consuming.

You mean I need to check in on the next real time day to harvest? As in if I dont play the game for a few days of real time, I lose my crop?

bukowski81

I played through half of this game, and dropped it. All I can remember is the world being empty as fuck, a very convoluted story and bosses that come out of nowhere (that naked one in the middle of the desert, just why). Too weird for me.
Its fine that you dont like it, but if you dont know whats up with "that naked guy" you played way less than half the game.

mcz117chief

You mean I need to check in on the next real time day to harvest? As in if I dont play the game for a few days of real time, I lose my crop?
You plant the crops, save the game then quit to dashboard. There you set the clock a day forward, load up the game again and your crops will be ready. The only reasonable way to get the farming achievement.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

If I remember correctly, what I did was plant stuff. Save and exit to title. Go to the system options, and adjust the clock. Back to game, load and harvest. Rinse-repeat until I had the lilies. Then reset system clock to correct time/date, save again and continue as usual.

Last edited:

Sygma

Except everything is correct, but you're welcome. 9s shouldn't even have been playable in the first place

angelic

Banned
Surejan.gif

You can talk crap all you like, except its factually wrong, You spend part A as 2B, B as 9S, C as a mix of all 3, with a lot of A2, then you spend a long time as the women again doing the other endings and DLC.

Honestly, low quality trolling, take it away.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

At risk of being snarked to fark for saying it on an "appreciation thread" but out of weird coincidence I'm playing through this for the first time at the moment and, to be honest, my experience is merely "ah ok". Not crap, not wonderful.

Hoping I get more hooked as I go, as obviously you've all got very high opinions of it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
At risk of being snarked to fark for saying it on an "appreciation thread" but out of weird coincidence I'm playing through this for the first time at the moment and, to be honest, my experience is merely "ah ok". Not crap, not wonderful.

Hoping I get more hooked as I go, as obviously you've all got very high opinions of it.

Route A is about as "normal" as Yoko's stuff gets, so it can seem relatively ordinary especially as much like 2B its emotionally quite reserved. It mainly plants seeds for whats to come. The following route steadily escalates the drama and by C we're back to the relentless intensity of the original Nier's second half.

Its a Yoko Taro joint through and through, which is always going to make it an acquired taste. However Platinum's involvement makes it a whole lot smoother to play than the original. That's the thing, some people (me for one) consider the original Nier to be an unforgettable masterpiece despite the fact that its janky as hell and clearly B-tier in terms of production values.

Approaching Automata like a regular AAA action RPG is not really fair, because as always Yoko's ideas are bigger than his budget and its less interested in wowing you with spectacle and technical virtuosity than trying to keep throwing different stuff and unexpected swerves at you to evoke a reaction.

Sygma

User has been removed from thread. Cool off for a few days.
You can talk crap all you like, except its factually wrong, You spend part A as 2B, B as 9S, C as a mix of all 3, with a lot of A2, then you spend a long time as the women again doing the other endings and DLC.

Honestly, low quality trolling, take it away.

go fuck yourself to be honest

route A is 2b, route B is 9s and half of route C is 9s again. Here, one and done. There's no mix of all 3 in Route C for more than maybe 30 mins

its not what I expected from the game and as I said, 9s is the SOLE reason I'll never replay it

edit :

just so we're clear on the low quality trolling

Last edited:

Doom85

Not only best game of 2017 for me, but game of the gen as well (Bloodborne's a close second). Incredible story, characters, combat, and holy crap that music.

Tamy

Banned
I still don’t get the hype for that game. It’s for free on gamepass now so I’m trying this out but the saving system is horrible.
Just plain horrible and stops me from playing this game.
In Addition you can’t even skip cutscenes. Making the stupid save system even worse. Fuck this Game. Seriously.

The combat system looked deep, but at higher levels there was nothing to kill. You breathe on the enemies there, and they fall to bits. Boring. I really wanted a level scaling option so I could enjoy running around and fighting.
Of course 2B has an amazing design and the story is decent. Automata is a good game, but not great.

Dr.Morris79

I still don’t get the hype for that game. It’s for free on gamepass now so I’m trying this out but the saving system is horrible.
Just plain horrible and stops me from playing this game.
In Addition you can’t even skip cutscenes. Making the stupid save system even worse. Fuck this Game. Seriously.
If you had to wait for it to come to Gamepass to actually play it then it would seem that the game was never going to be any good to you, it's a niche game to be fair

Anyone else who actually liked Nier was pretty much on it day one, and like me, loved it.

I was so disappointed with this game. Played through route A and almost nothing meaningful happened. Played about half of route B and I'm essentially doing the same thing again. What I read is that the story really begins with route C, but yeah, the game is definitely not respectful of your time.

Top Bottom