• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Go! Go! Kokopolo being removed from "DSiWare" on Aug 31st

Pikma

Banned
Keith last posted on 07-15-2013 at 06:48 PM

I found his (old?) address and a Zoopla listing for it.

I would totally call his number but.. umm.. it's in like Oxford (Great Britain) and I live in Colorado. If anyone in Europe is brave enough to call him, I'll slip them the number.

That took all of five minutes, people. But.. I'm umm.. kind of a little worried about calling him all the way from Colorado.
I'd do it (I'm from the US too) if it wasn't for fucking time zones

It would be nice if there was always some sort of advance notice before a game was pulled from digital services. It's usually just an unpleasant surprise.

Looking through it.. now I'm poking around his Facebook page looking at pictures of him and owls.

Anyhow, people don't lock down their Facebooks like they should.

Which makes this much easier.

I like doing this stuff... but only if it's worth doing.

I just want to know about the game and to make sure the creator is okay.

Question. Running through his friends and people from his photos.

Umm.. off hand, anyone remember his Birthday?

If I cross reference all of his friends on the days around his birthday, at least one or two will post a birthday wish on his timeline. His timeline is private, but a post on it.. would show up on the friend's timeline as well. verifying a few things.

From what I can gather, he was probably born in 1979. I'll look for clues to a month.

Edits: I see my wording is bad. Sorry about that.

Looking through it.. now I'm stalking around his Facebook page looking at pictures of him and owls.

There was some sort of incident with his family in November of 2012.

I just want to know about the game.

If I cross reference all of his friends on the days around his birthday, at least one or two will post a birthday wish on his timeline. His timeline is private, but a post on it.. would show up on the friend's timeline as well. verifying a few things.

From what I can gather, he was probably born in 1979. I'll look for clues to a month.

Also looking up information on Szilard Peteri.

wow

ethanny2

Looking through it.. now I'm stalking around his Facebook page looking at pictures of him and owls.

Or... email him and wait a few days ... geez

A line has been crossed in this thread. No bueno dude

I just wanted to check and make sure nothing has happened to him. :-(

So far, all I can tell is that he's still at his studio, renewed it's business operations, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him. I guess we have to wait for Circle to announce something.

But honestly.. that's what investigative journalism -without money- looks like. :-/

OKAY, to avoid anything STRANGE, I can confirm, he's FINE! :)

I've been in contact, though he's been quiet for the past short while, but only for a few months since I last spoke with him.

I'm not in a position to say anything else, but I want to just assure people that he's fine and I'm very confident he would want me to say this.

I've been in contact, though he's been quiet for the past short while, but only for a few months since I last spoke with him.

I'm not in a position to say anything else, but I want to just assure people that he's fine and I'm very confident he would want me to say this.

I wrote him twice in the last year, and he never replied me back. So I'm happy it's fine!

I was just looking to make sure that Keith is okay. Yeah, e-mails and PMs have been sent, but he's in a different time zone, so I would have to wait a bit before making any sort of phone call.

In the mean time, I just did a few searches on DuckDuckGo, Google, ICANN records, and Oxford business records. Verified that everything seems to be okay there.

Then I searched around on LinkedIn to make sure there hasn't been any job shifts or other catastrophic events. From LinkedIn, I cross searched former co-workers, connected those to pictures made public on his profile and looked to make sure that there wasn't anything awful that happened to him. The conclusion is that there isn't anything of that nature and he's probably signed a contract with Circle, similar to what they did with ARC Systems in Japan. Part of the Circle take down is probably to make way for the 3DS port. Similar to what happened with Cave Story DSi on the eShop before Cave Story eShop was released.

Looking at the responses, I'm a bit concerned that people don't know what reporters and investigative reporters actually do. None of the information used in a quick search is private and all of it is publicly shared.

Back in the day, if we wanted to talk to people of interest, we'd show up at their doorstep or offices with cameras and notepads.

That's good to hear. I just got worried that something happened to him, so I investigated. Well, if he's doing okay and you say he's doing okay. Cool. That makes me feel better. Well, wish him luck on the 3DS game and I can't wait to play it.

Frolow

Banned

This is approaching Retro Studios levels right here.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I was just looking to make sure that Keith is okay. Yeah, e-mails and PMs have been sent, but he's in a different time zone, so I would have to wait a bit before making any sort of phone call.

In the mean time, I just did a few searches on DuckDuckGo, Google, ICANN records, and Oxford business records. Verified that everything seems to be okay there.

Then I searched around on LinkedIn to make sure there hasn't been any job shifts or other catastrophic events. From LinkedIn, I cross searched former co-workers, connected those to pictures made public on his profile and looked to make sure that there wasn't anything awful that happened to him. The conclusion is that there isn't anything of that nature and he's probably signed a contract with Circle, similar to what they did with ARC Systems in Japan. Part of the Circle take down is probably to make way for the 3DS port. Similar to what happened with Cave Story DSi on the eShop before Cave Story eShop was released.

Looking at the responses, I'm a bit concerned that people don't know what reporters and investigative reporters actually do. None of the information used in a quick search is private and all of it is publicly shared.

Back in the day, if we wanted to talk to people of interest, we'd show up at their doorstep or offices with cameras and notepads.

None of that was necessary, no-one seriously thought he was dead or incapacitated or whatever. Moreover, it seems like no-one (including me) actually bothered to just straight-up ask about it, which is what should have happened in the first place.

None of that was necessary, no-one seriously thought he was dead or incapacitated or whatever. Moreover, it seems like no-one (including me) actually bothered to just straight-up ask about it, which is what should have happened in the first place.

For a moment, I thought something happened to him. He's been quiet on almost all social media for a while. So, I went all Philip Marlowe. It's a habit from back when many artists in the music biz had hard to work with agents. So, you just sit down, crunch out some stuff, and then ask them directly for interviews, information, and so forth.

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
I've never purchased a DSi game but have both a DSi XL and 3DS XL, and intend to buy this game. Would I be able to have it on both handhelds at the same time? Not sure which one to buy it on. I prefer DS games on DSi because the 3DS colors are a bit more muted, but rarely ever take that system out with me these days.

I've never purchased a DSi game but have both a DSi XL and 3DS XL, and intend to buy this game. Would I be able to have it on both handhelds at the same time? Not sure which one to buy it on. I prefer DS games on DSi because the 3DS colors are a bit more muted, but rarely ever take that system out with me these days.

It's one purchase for one system.

Honestly, the game looks fine on the 3DS XL. But, if have issues with the way DSi games look on the 3DS XL, get it on the DSi XL. It's worth playing through and then -later on- you can transfer it from the DSi XL to the 3DS XL.

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
It's one purchase for one system.

Honestly, the game looks fine on the 3DS XL. But, if have issues with the way DSi games look on the 3DS XL, get it on the DSi XL. It's worth playing through and then -later on- you can transfer it from the DSi XL to the 3DS XL.

Awesome, thanks. Going to download it tomorrow. Saw it a while back and looked interesting but I forgot about it, so now it's a definite must get.

ChrisD

Oh man, I wanted this when it came out but didn't have the money at the time. After that it was always swept aside for different games.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks for all the concern everyone. Everything is absolutley fine :) I haven't been kidnapped or anything (yet...)

What I'll do is write up a big post letting everyone know the current status of Kokopolo, why it's being removed (it's nothing majorly serious, more a licensing type thing) and the potential release of the 3D sequel, with a rough timeframe of when we might hope to see that. I'll write it all up in the next hour or so, but sorry again if I worried anyone...

Will write stuff up in a bit :)

Best

Keith

Thanks for all the concern everyone. Everything is absolutley fine :) I haven't been kidnapped or anything (yet...)

What I'll do is write up a big post letting everyone know the current status of Kokopolo, why it's being removed (it's nothing majorly serious, more a licensing type thing) and the potential release of the 3D sequel, with a rough timeframe of when we might hope to see that. I'll write it all up in the next hour or so, but sorry again if I worried anyone...

Best

Keith

Dude, we better see another Kokopolo! one day or I'll scratch my cat.

Joqu

Wow this thread got creepy

Anyway I'm glad to hear you're doing well, Keith! I was really looking forward to the sequel but I gotta say I gave up on it. I hope you can still make it happen. :)

And if so perhaps you could look into some way you could release the original on another platform? Such a great game shouldn't get lost in the internet void.

Thorakai

Best

Keith

so how many phone calls and e-mails from opinionatedtfish did you get

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Best

Keith
You'd better do that! (release a sequel, that is)

One of the few games last gen that actually required me to develop some darn gaming skills ; )

so how many phone calls and e-mails from opinionatedtfish did you get

Can't remember, I'll go and ask him, I think he's standing outside my house right now! (only
joking ;) )

Okay everyone, so here's the reason why it's being removed from the eshop, it's nothing too serious, but more of a contract licensing issue....

Even though my company, Tanukii Studios Ltd (basically just me at the mo ;) ) owns all the rights to Kokopolo, the company that helped publish the game was/is called Room 4 Games ltd. They are based in Hungary, but in order for us to work together on the game, they had to set up a company over here in the UK. Their UK company was the one who had the contract with Nintendo to release the game on the European and USA DsiWare and eShop stores, so basically they are the publisher of Go! Go! Kokopolo.

After 3 years, as sales started to dwilndle to about a handful a month, it seemed a little counter-intuative for them to keep their company open only to get the revenue from the sales, whereas in actual fact, is was costing them more on the company insurance to keep it open, than they were making.

They chatted to me, and asked if it was okay to pull the game from the stores, so that they could close down their UK company, and concentrate soley on their Hungarian company which is much easier for hem, as that is where they are based.

I reckoned a nice time to take the game off the store would be on the anniversary 3 years after it was released, as I reckoned by now everyone who wanted it would likely have brought it. I emailed a few sites telling them about it just to allow anyone who didn't have a chance to buy it before, or forgot, that they could get thier hands on it one last time.

Talking with Nintendo of Europe, they reckoned that anyone who already purchased it would still be able to redownload it if they somehow lost all their digital content, so don't worry about that if you already purchased it :)

The other thing is, although Nintendo of Europe confirmed to me that it was going to be unavailable in "all territories" after 31st August, I'm not 100% sure they included the US in that or jusy all European territories. We did request from NOA to remove it as well, but if you are in the US, could you check on the eShop notifications this week and tell me if it mentions anything about it? If not, you USA peeps might have an extra week or so.

Anyway, that's the basic premise. In a way, I think it's quite nice that this version will become a limited release exclusive, and hopefully everyone who got it had a good time playing it (hopefully not too frustrating in areas ;) )

---

Now, onto "Kokopolo 3D - Space Recipe For Disaster". I can confirm the plan is still to relase this sometime ... but I'll be 100% honest, I aint got a clue when. In terms of art assets and level layouts etc, it's about 60% complete...but I am just waiting on the coders to finish porting the gameplay code from the original over to the 3DS hardware. When it is finished, however, it will be a brand new game, rather than a straight port of the DSi version, with all new levels, bosses, music intro's, endings etc...so if you already have the original Kokopolo, this will be a new adventure for you :)

Circle Entertainment will be publishing "Kokopolo 3D", but they have been very patient with me as I try to get everything done, so kudos to them. Chances are, I'd also like to release Kokopolo 3D around the $4 mark (the original had to be $8 as per Nintendo's policy back then based on file size). This should hopefully make it more palateable for players who were on the fence with the first one.

At the mo, I really can't guarantee when that'll be released. I think in the past I may have announced things a bit too soon (prob the same with most indie developers) so I'll keep quiet on Kokopolo 3D until I know it's def ready for release so as no to prematurely get people's hopes up :)

Anyway, I hope that answers any queries anyone's got, but feel free to fire away any more questions, and I'll try and answer them.

Thanks again for the concern as well. Nice to know people are wondering were I am (but please don't ring me at 5am in the morning ;) )

As, an aside....did you know that right now, if you have a European DSi with a copy of Kokopolo on it, you very well might have a very rare DSi indeed. Only 500 people brought it on their European DSi's, so if you've got one, wait a few years and sell it on ebay for millions! :)

Refyref

Thank you for the update, Keith! I just went and bought the game on my 3DS, so I'll be able to play it. Didn't have a DSi when it released, and had too many games I wanted to buy once I got a 3DS, so sorry for not buying it earlier!

mollipen

DAMN. I prefer to have all of my DSiWare on my DSi, not my 3DS, but I won't be able to get back to my DSi until I return home from PAX, after the game is gone. GRR.

Since Circle still puts out DSiWare games, I wonder if they could just transfer publisher duties over and keep it up?

I guess Nintendo's old policies would prevent it though, which is a shame.

It just seems like a waste to remove it since there isn't something like a outside franchise license involved.

^^Credit where credit's due, you definitely managed to get a response!
Haha, that's one way to look at it.

Drago

Just bought the game tonight. Don't know when I'll get to it but I'm glad to have it, and it's great to have an update on the second game. :)

alazz

What a blast from the past! I'm going to have to dust off my 3DS (literally) and play some of this tonight; it's like comfort food.

Kokopolo 3DS and Smash Bros are two big reasons why I've kept my 3DS and it's awesome that you're still committed to the sequel! I really, really look forward to it.

rjc571

Banned
I'll take it! But seriously, I hope everyone buys this game while it's still there.

The fact that only 500 people in Europe bought it is depressing and wrong.

500 Europeans bought it on DSi. It likely sold much more than that on 3DS as the game was released when the 3DS was already out (and starved for eShop content).

I never heard of this game!
Would you recommend a download on DSi or 3DS? I would prefer DSi but it sucks because I can't add money through a cc, so I have to buy an eshop card which is 15€ minimum and the game is only 8€ ... So 3DS is preferable since that money can go to other games. However it's probably the best to play it in original resolution on DSi, right? Ah. ):

I never heard of this game!
Would you recommend a download on DSi or 3DS? I would prefer DSi but it sucks because I can't add money through a cc, so I have to buy an eshop card which is 15€ minimum and the game is only 8€ ... So 3DS is preferable since that money can go to other games. However it's probably the best to play it in original resolution on DSi, right? Ah. ):

Just grab it on 3DS. If you hold the start button when booting up DSiWare games on the 3DS you can play them in their original resolution!

Original resolution is pretty small on a 3DS/2DS. On a 3DS XL it is the same size as a DS Lite.

Just checking the eShop now (UK) there is a notice of software removal. This is the thing I hate about it. Why couldn't they put that info into the press release everybody reads as opposed to the eShop news nobody does (it was probably there before the 28th but after the 21st I would guess).

As, an aside....did you know that right now, if you have a European DSi with a copy of Kokopolo on it, you very well might have a very rare DSi indeed. Only 500 people brought it on their European DSi's, so if you've got one, wait a few years and sell it on ebay for millions! :)
Thanks for the lowdown on what is going on.

As for the DSi consider some of those 500 may have transferred it to a 3DS.

Since Circle still puts out DSiWare games, I wonder if they could just transfer publisher duties over and keep it up?

I guess Nintendo's old policies would prevent it though, which is a shame.
Nintendo are so awkward with these things that I imagine their policy would be that changing publisher counts as a new release so lot check all over again etc.

Top Bottom