• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Go! Go! Kokopolo (DSiWare) |OT| of Indie, Sprite-based, Hyperactive Awesomeness!!!

The following OP was written by the creator of the game named Keith Webb, who personally asked me to post this for him as he was finally approved but as a Junior he is not allowed to make his own thread yet. I made some spelling and spacing corrections, and added the platform in the title, but otherwise it's word-for-word by Keith:

hZ0GB.jpg

Platforms: DSiWARE / 3DS eSHOP
Price: $8, 800 points
Release Date: 4th August 2011 (Europe) / 11th August 2011 (USA)
Developer: Tanukii Studios Limited
Publisher: Room4Games Limited

l5wMe.jpg

What the hell IS "Go! Go! Kokopolo"??

Basically, it seems to be a new puzzle-action game, described as the "worlds first chase-em up!" It's an action packed caper set across 80 worlds of "pure arcade mayhem". It seems pretty much like a unique take on the PacMan mechanic, crossed with some elements of "snake" and "flicky" with a few devious puzzles thrown in for good measure. And all wrapped up in a candy coated sprinkling of epic mischief!

etUNt.jpg

"Kokopolo is a hyperactive wildcat, whose peaceful afternoon slumber has been rudely interrupted. Due to his over-the-top sense of revenge, he vows to take his anger out on all the innocent creatures in the forest! Help him in his madcap quest, by taking control of his infamous sharp claws, and scratching all the enemies in your path! Watch as their tempers flare, then they turn on you and relentlessly chase you through dangerous mazes and over hazard-filled highways! Lead them to their fate, in the bellies of the ever hungry Snap Snap plants, where they will be slowly digested forever!"

1dkGx.jpg

"On the other hand, take control of the more sedate Tatsumo, who just goes along with his buddies insane antics, whatever the outcome! Both play exactly the same...but you get TWO PLAYERS TO CHOOSE FROM!!!"

ZjUns.jpg

Once enemies have been lured into the Snap Snap plant, the focus shifts to the bottom screen...where perfect timing must be utilized to destroy the enemies once and for all! Will you get a treat as a reward, or a bomb as a punishment??!!!"

IcLez.jpg

6J7Nc.jpg

Yes, indeed, it does sound ridiculous! But that is not all, as there are 20 different types of enemies lurking around the stages...each with their own attacks and gimmicks.

pKUgp.jpg

The whole game has a mischievous look about it, and a colorful humorous nature! The return of old-school pixel based sprite action!

GExAL.jpg

FaTf3.jpg

After every 7th level, you face off against a boss, in which you must work out how to use it's own attacks against itself!

AvTPV.jpg

90aKh.jpg

1nrv6.jpg

The game was developed by a new UK indie studio called Tanukii Studios Limited. It was first announced back in early 2009 in a series of developers diaries in the UK Nintendo magazine, NGamer. It seemed they went into a bit of radio silence whilst they searched for a publisher, but it is finally released, and ready to go!

Tanukii Studios comprises of one guy, Keith Webb, who was responsible for character design and concept art for Crash Twinsanity (the 5th Crash Bandicoot game), A Super Monkey Ball game, and the Simpsons game, before setting up his own indie studio. In fact some of you might also recognize his style from this piece of artwork he created a few years back - HYPER 8BIT MEMORIES!

UzQt4.jpg

Also involved in the project, were two guys from a company called Room4Games Limited, who seem to have a background in some portable Namco titles a few years back! Szilard Peteri took on the role of engine programmer, and oversaw publishing duties, whilst Gergo Kiss complimented with exceptional gameplay programming!

k3wAB.jpg

Go! Go! Kokopolo

Oxford, England – August 3 2011 – Get ready for a brand new experience in arcade action, introducing the worlds first chase ‘em-up – Go! Go! Kokopolo – Harmonious Forest Revenge!, exclusively available through the Nintendo DSiWare™ service.

Take control of the wildcat, Kokopolo, on an epic adventure of madcap revenge and mayhem as he scratches his way through 80 fantastic stages, and across 10 different worlds. Filled to the brim with slapstick humour and comic mischief on the surface, Go! Go! Kokopolo also offers extra complexity and depth for players who want to best themselves in the various time attack modes, and unlock all the secrets the game has to offer.

Featuring fantastic 2D pixel-art, and a mind-boggling number of enemies and bosses, Go! Go! Kokopolo is an epic quest of quick reflexes, and thinking on your feet, as players try to lead endless chains of angry enemies to their doom in the jaws of the deadly snap-snap plants, whilst also keeping a watchful eye on dangers and hazards that are set up to stop our infamous anti-hero in his tracks.

“Go! Go! Kokopolo is a perfect fit for the Nintendo DSiWare service, as it combines both addictive gameplay, and simple, yet ingenious, game-mechanics with a variety of twists to keep even the best players on their toes!” explains Tanukii Studios producer Keith Webb. “Fast and frantic action is the main ingredient for Kokopolo, and we feel it delivers a heap of that until you are full in the face, and then keeps serving! A great pick up and play game that will keep you entertained for hours and hours and refuse to let you go!”

Go! Go! Kokopolo is the one game your going to want to keep close at hand to celebrate old-school arcade mayhem, and pure timeless fun, perfect for casual and hardcore gamers alike! Go! Go! Kokopolo will be available for purchase on August 4 2011 for Europe, and August 11 2011 for the USA, exclusively through the Nintendo DSiWare service for 800 Nintendo DSi Points™.

About Tanukii Studios Limited

Tanukii Studios Limited is an independent entertainment software developer operating out of Oxford, England. A small developer with huge ambitions for the future!

About Room 4 Games Limited

Room 4 Games Limited is a Fleet, UK based game developer company with a wisely placed developer centre in Budapest, Hungary. The founders are games industry veterans with huge experience on Nintendo platforms.

JuzIr.jpg

bfrwd.jpg

Certainly can!

Here is the Gameplay trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_t0MHeJZ10&feature=feedlik

And here is a live action trailer (warning, doesn't actually show any game play footage!) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VZXQm6g8EQ

uJkZc.jpg

CWJyY.jpg

Information is scarce until the game is released, but here are some useful links-

Official Site - www.kokopolo.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/kokopolo

Nintendo.com page - http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/mCz4ZQ_Dlpy6FXuyH1vIvaat4bPXFW6e
Nintendo Europe page - http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/dsiware/go_go_kokopolo_44149.html

And a bonus picture for all to enjoy!

hIykH.jpg

Wow. Incredible thread for a DSiWare game.

But it did its job, I'll probably pick this up next Thursday, I think I have a few thousand points left on my DSi.

DarkWish

Great OP, it got my interest. And that was a great trailer... the game looks like fun. I like the unique concept. Depending on what else releases that day, I may get the game on release date... but either way, I'll probably buy it soon.

Boney

Banned
Hey this looks pretty darn sweet, I especially love the presentation.

Got 400 points on my DSi and zero on 3DS so I won't be getting it that soon, but looks mighty fine.

This looks great! Kokopolo is kind of a jerk though. :lol

The enemies are so cute, I don't want to lead them to their doom...

Will purchase.

Londa

Banned
*good sprite art

*takes me back to old school 2D games

*Never seen a game concept like this

*Looks fun and funny

Must buy

mollipen

I'm BEGGING you, people who released DS games and put screenshots out for them - PNG, not JPG! For the love of everything that is holy, I so desperately wish people had a better understanding of image formats and what to use for what.

These screenshots would be beautiful, uncompressed, and typically even smaller in file-size as PNGs. As they are now, I can see the artifacts, and it makes me cry.

(Far, far worse offenders are people in video game media who don't understand this, because you assholes should know better.)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Good work OP, you got me interested in a game I had no idea existed and then pushed me into wanting to buy it due to the excitement presented.

zigg

KenOD said:
Good work OP, you got me interested in a game I had no idea existed and then pushed me into wanting to buy it due to your excitement.

The excitement was from the game's creator, just FWIW.

(I am still interested.)

Dragmire

Been watching this game. I always thought it was Japanese. Great style, either way. I wish it was coming out tomorrow in the US. :p

Gameboy415

Looks fantastic - I'll definitely give it a whirl!

Also, any idea where I can find a high-rez version of the "HYPER 8BIT MEMORIES" art?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DAT ART.

Also, what's the biggest rez size one could find for the 8bit Memories artwork? I remember never finding a good one, I'd love to make it into a poster. Maybe you can ask Keith? I'll buy his game! :D

Teknoman

Londa said:
*good sprite art

*takes me back to old school 2D games

*Never seen a game concept like this

*Looks fun and funny

Must buy

Yeah I really like the art style, especially the enemy design. Just hope it has a catchy soundtrack that matches.

Luigiv

Hmm the animation work is quite nice but the character design is pretty boring and the sprites are way too big.

Gameplay could be interesting but the the tiny FoV (as a result of those giant sprites) is going to hurt it.

@MUWANdo said:
Does the PAL release date cover Australia/NZ as well? I assume it doesn't.

It's not on the local classification board, so like 99.9% of all DSiWare I'd say this won't be available in Australia and New Zealand.

I bought Kokopolo yesterday, has anyone got it?
It's a very nice "actionpuzzleplatform" game! Quite hard though :D
I'm completing the second world, B-7 currently.

Jazzem

Grabbed this today (didn't realize it'd been out on the EU store for a few weeks!). I was following the making of for the game when it was featured in NGamer, very cool to see the game finally released :)

It's a lot of fun, I love the mischievous nature of the premise and it's executed very well. Sprite work is very nice, but as has been pointed out it does mean the viewing area for the game is a bit small. Negated by the map on the bottom screen somewhat but it's still a minor point. Quite liking what I've heard of the music as well.

Recommended!

GeekyDad

Jazzem said:
Grabbed this today (didn't realize it'd been out on the EU store for a few weeks!). I was following the making of for the game when it was featured in NGamer, very cool to see the game finally released :)

It's a lot of fun, I love the mischievous nature of the premise and it's executed very well. Sprite work is very nice, but as has been pointed out it does mean the viewing area for the game is a bit small. Negated by the map on the bottom screen somewhat but it's still a minor point. Quite liking what I've heard of the music as well.

Recommended!

How far along are you into the game? Read it was brutally difficult later on.

GeekyDad said:
How far along are you into the game? Read it was brutally difficult later on.

Yes, it is. Frustrating just sometimes, though, since once the mechanism to use in a particular level has been discovered, it's just a matter of speed and memory. Still at world D anyway.

watershed

Banned
I just added this to my wish list though if its punishingly hard I may have to skip it. I'm still working through my backlog of dsiware and 10 sec run gets crazy hard towards the end!

TheOGB

Banned
...on the title screen.

Bought this and Mighty Milky Way at 3 in the morning. I'm not the only one that instinctively tapped a butterfly when the game started up, am I?

It turned out to be a neat little Fruit Ninja-type minigame that, after 300 butterflies scratched, declares you a "Scratch Master" and gives Kokopolo a nice little outfit that kinda makes him look like Terry Bogard.

Into the actual game, it is quite fun and gets challenging, which I like. I'm enjoying it very much, and the wacky, mischievous style is fun and humorous. The characters are all crazy, but there's a lot of charm to the sprites and artwork.

Bottom line, this game is about being a dick and I love it. Looks like there's quite a bit of content, what with all the secrets being teased, time attacks and the aforementioned title screen. I'm only just now through world B (again, due to the title screen), but I'm already having a blast. Totally recommend this.

Heh, I didn't know about that title screen thing. I just tried it out, it seems like a waste of time to me but whatever.

Anyway, I'm halfway through World C and I'm really enjoying this so far. It took me a little bit to get the hang of it, but after a while I had learned to plan my routes and the best way to handle each of the many different types of enemies, and I was chaining together multiple enemy drops in no time. Your skills have to improve quickly, because the mazes were already becoming very intricate and introducing a bunch of challenging and unique obstacles by the end of World B. Very few games combine planning/level memorization with fast-paced twitch platfroming as well as this does. I highly recommend it as well.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Tanukii Studios comprises of one guy, Keith Webb, who was responsible for character design and concept art for Crash Twinsanity
:mad:

I like the gfx in this game tho, buying some cards tomorrow so I'll get this as well

Top Bottom