• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

god damn this DOOM box art is bad

openrob

Doesn't bother me but not nearly as awesome as this:
latest

It ablosutely stunned me when I realised that he doesn't have two guns in this picture

Greddleok

It ablosutely stunned me when I realised that he doesn't have two guns in this picture

FUCK! You're right. I have to re-contextualise years of looking at that cover.

Edit: What the hell is he doing with his other hand then? Now the pose just looks dumb.

Occam

Doom is the series that basically invented the faceless, generic space marine, which in turn inspired Halo's protagonist. We have come full circle.

Edit: fixed

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
If I was going to design the cover Id go for a very different take, but I thought with some post edits you could make it more interesting

The placeholder box art of text on a black background was ten times better. I mean that sincerely.

This should indicate how much I dislike this goofy cover.

Yeah, I was about to say, isn't Doomguy one of the most instantly recognizable faces icons in gaming? Hell, there's Doomguy emojis on Slack (the mobile app).

I wonder why people in this thread keep trying to lump Doom in with today's generic FPS installments. Doom 1 and 2 are more different from modern FPSs than they are similar, in aesthetic, gameplay, pacing, level design, music, pretty much everything.

If they wanted something generic that looked similar to other shooters with a character holding a gun/walking forward they nailed it

fester

Banned
The cover is pure shit, but my expectations are so low these days that I can't say I'm even bothered by it anymore.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Since people liked my edit so much I re-did it better, and also put it in different colors. Click any color to enlarge it.

Top Bottom