• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

god damn this DOOM box art is bad

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
91kihgETzXL._SL1500_.jpg

brooding big guy walking away from the bad times.

Reminds me of a dirty urinal.

Flzzlsharkop

Neo Member
A closer look:

nMZReHi.jpg

Look at that six pack!

Huh, somehow I never noticed there was another marine in there. That's the thing with these old covers, they have actual details you can discover instead of a super bland and simple composition covered in greebly texture.

I wasn't expecting a ton from DOOM's cover art, but yeah, this is pretty laughable.

Remy's coloured versions make it look better though.

Not much of a fan of the cover but dont really give a fuck. It could be a picture of a turd on fire and it wouldnt bother me.

JDHarbs

This looks like promo art to me. Halo 4 did the same thing.

One box art was placeholder for advertising until the final was finished. Hopefully Doom is doing the same thing.

Placeholder:
halo-4-xbox360-boxart.jpg

Final:
CCBhz.jpg

why would you not put demons on the box art

christ

EDIT:
they should have gone and just used the collector's edition box art for the standard box art. looks way more eyecatching

VariantX

I certainly hope its placeholder. Im actually starting to get tired of the guy with gun surrounded by orange lighting on covers. That type of box art to me is playing it way too safe and not telling us WHY we want to experience that game.

Huh, somehow I never noticed there was another marine in there. That's the thing with these old covers, they have actual details you can discover instead of a super bland and simple composition covered in greebly texture.
This one also has little details. It's a reference to this cover lol

Greebly?

UberLevi

I must be in the vast minority that absolutely loved the box art when I saw it.

It's very machismo and in your face. Which isn't an inherently bad thing despite what most gaffers seem to believe. It plays well into the theme of the game. DOOM is literally about a beefy space marine going around blasting cyborg demons into chunks with huge guns. It's a perfect fit as far as I'm concerned.

Unit24

Seriously? I knew some people didn't like the box art much, but is it really that bad? Sure, it should be better, but I find it to be inoffensive at worst.

oti

Banned
To be honest, at this point the Doom franchise is so well known, distinctive and iconic this box-art would be plenty good. The name sells itself, no need for anything else.

It's like how all you need is the Batman icon for people to know something badass is coming, same applies to the Doom logo.

Marketing people are (rightfully) screaming and crying after reading this post.

Top Bottom