• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

god damn this DOOM box art is bad

Marketing guy: If people think it's Halo related, they will buy it.

But...it also kind of reminds me of Samus in a weird way...just recolored.

Basically an awful cover.

Didn't someone say in the other Doom thread that the cover was temporary according to Hines?
Always surprising to me how boring stuff like this gets past focus testing.

flattie

BombermanActZero_USBOX_Mrated.jpg

Came here to post this. Fake-beaten.

Art is terrible. Would of preferred something more like the classic doom. Halo nailed it.

109123-hi.jpg

Doom_cover_art.jpg

on mobile, no idea how this is gonna look

poodaddy

Gold Member
Yeah it's not great. How many times are we gonna get this type of cover man? Shit's boring as hell. Do marketing departments just honestly not get it? It's the same stoic looking bad ass guy doing the same fucking pose every time. Hell Mega 64 made fun of this with one of their videos a while back and it's still happening constantly. Talk about unaware man.

Doom marine doesn't have a massive suit of armor though.
Only because it was the 90's and you couldn't show those washboard abs with all that armour on.

First time I ever saw Masterchief on the front cover of PC gamer, before Halo went to Xbox, I thought: "Oh look, it's Doomguy".

Reebot

Only because it was the 90's and you couldn't show those washboard abs with all that armour on.

First time I ever saw Masterchief on the front cover of PC gamer, before Halo went to Xbox, I thought: "Oh look, it's Doomguy".

Yeah, but unluckily for Doom its been completely mismanaged as a brand for over a decade now.

People associate the look with Halo, not Doom.

Should have gone with an awesome throwback cover.

gblues

Banned
Original Doom art was metal as fuck.

This Doom art looks like it was shit out by a Nickelback-listening intern.

The classic "DOOM" lettering in the original art echoes the jagged peaks on the horizon. The lettering itself is a merging of NASA space-age materials and Geiger-esque alien tech, hinting at the game's premise. And the Doomguy is a woefully under-equipped soldier trying his best to survive against impossible odds.

The whole piece is beautiful and cohesive.

This new abomination is: logo stencil + totally-not-master-chief-we-promise guy in a suit + piss filter. Nothing goes together. No design. Just something barely passable with a glorified nostalgia reference. They might as well have used Helvetica, though.

Hopefully they put more effort in capturing the spirit of Doom in the actual game.

bigmac996

Art is terrible. Would of preferred something more like the classic doom. Halo nailed it.

109123-hi.jpg

Doom_cover_art.jpg

on mobile, no idea how this is gonna look

The artist on that Halo pic is Jamie Jones if I'm not mistaken. They need to wrangle him into illustrating a cover for them for sure.

Marvel

could never
Make the text coloured like the old design, would immediately improve it. But yeah whole cover is pretty bland.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
To me box art doesn't matter. Honestly, when you are finished with the game or moved on, does the cover art really matter?
I mean, it's not important enough to affect purchasing decisions, but look at the people in here praising the original Doom's cover. The interest in (good) covers clearly remains after the playthrough, just like people put up film posters in their room even after having seen the film. It's a piece of artwork in and of itself, and if it's good it will be appreciated.

dan2026

I dont understand my game covers are so crap these days.

Why not get an artist to draw you a cool image instead of generic man with gun render?

I dont understand my game covers are so crap these days.

Why not get an artist to draw you a cool image instead of generic man with gun render?

"72% of our focus groups said 'guy with gun' let them know that there will be shooting and 'I will be the guy' while other more visually interesting deigns were said to be 'confusing'."

EloKa

I want Doom Guy on a lenticular lens cover.
This guy will always look straight into your face depening on the angle of your view on the cover. Like this kind of stuff
KLwOcL7.gif
mVkxEu9.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just found this. Why not do something cool and funny like this?
Why do covers have to be so boring?

Well for why not that cover specifically is obviously because that's an edit of the cover for Evil Dead: Army of Darkness.

But for general theme, I honestly think that sort of direction would be better than what they're currently proposing, certainly.

I respect your opinion even though you don't respect mine. Just because I don't mind the box art doesn't mean I am a "easily led pleb."
I didn't intend to insinuate that you are an easily led pleb on account of you not minding the box art, but reading back what I wrote I can see that it comes off that way. My apologies.

Along with Legend of Zelda, the original Doom was the game that really cemented me as a lifelong gamer, and I guess I'm just worried that this box art could be a representation of what to expect of this new game. I know it could never live up to the unrealistic expectations of another Doom1 & 2, but I have been hoping for it to be another "Wolfenstein New Blood". I guess we'll see.

NBtoaster

I was thinking the Revenant would be on the box art because of how much screentime it was getting, like the Doom 3 Hell Knight.

Frillen

Hopefully people bashing these box arts are not the same people praising the Uncharted 4 one. It's just as bad.

With how bad this looks, How much worse would the other concepts of been? the placemaker cover that sites have used since E3 were much better.

Top Bottom