• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

god damn this DOOM box art is bad

Henkka

Banned
Eh, it's whatever. Communicates well enough what the game is about.

Although it's weird how a sci-fi space marine is holding what looks like a pretty normal shotgun.

Alright. Since you all requested new covers:

KVGv8Ls.jpg

jk9mhI5.jpg

g9aSGHy.jpg

feE5iZ4.jpg

GDdYhk7.jpg

Feel free to print as you may please!
Amazing.

Raitaro

This one would have been fantastic.

I agree.

Though it could also be used for Fallout 6 simultaneously. Or 7 if they'd want to show a face first.

(v0yce could you photoshop that and put it in the Fallout 3-5+6/7 line-up perhaps?)

Edit: but seriously, what is up with these generic "guy + logo against empty background" covers? SFV's is equally boring, and could have made use of the Bengus art for instance. It's like publishers are terrified of covers actually showing some art or at least a shot of the game world.

This is so fucking bad. It's just so generic and trying SO hard to be cool it's almost unbearable to look at.

Yes, the DOOM guy is a badass, but this cover is missing any semblance of vulnerability that makes the original cover great. We all know the original cover where DOOM guy is being overwhelmed and is cut up and seconds away from certain death. It's ominous, and almost brings a horror element to the cover.

Another example, lets look at the PS1 cover:
doom-front.jpg

DOOM guy is certainly a badass, but he's cut up and fighting for his life. He's vulnerable as fuck fighting the beasts of Hell.

This new cover on the other hand? He might as well be fucking Superman with all that high tech armor. The beasts of Hell are gonna see him and cower away in fear.

This artist missed the entire point of this entire fucking franchise.

Absolute. Fucking. Fail.

Adnor

Banned
While the cover is super ugly the main thing I learned reading this thread is that the colored bars for boxarts of the XONE and the PS4 are really ugly.

They clash with anything.

G-Fex

194669-doom-playstation-front-cover.jpg

PS1 box art = best box art

Yeah, this is a great one, and my favorite.

But it wouldn't fly now a days, a little too extreme for 'today's audience I guess.

And can't you people go five fucking seconds without mentioning Bloodborne?

I thought the armor is fine, it's just the generic way they use it.

I bet they could put the same armor suit guy in the classic DOOM1 cover pose fighting aliens from all sides and it would look ultra badass.

If one is looking at this boxart presented in a vacuum, then sure, the boxart isn't outright bad. But in this context of the Doom series and when compared to contemporary covers, you really can't get any more uninspired than this.

I really don't understand why whichever marketing group behind this cover settled on a cover that plunges deep into aping currently popular trends (which just makes it look dated not only now, but especially later on in the future) rather than rely on the IP's defining features (a historic and iconic one such as Doom in this case!) to stand out from the crowd. Even if it does turn out to be a placeholder and it's replaced down the line, it looks kinda lazy. It kinda screams clueless marketing, focus group meddling, or a obnoxious touch of both sides.

Let's hope this is just a placeholder art.

All we can do is say what we don't like about what's on the boxart and then "Gee I hope that's not the final." Especially since the game's releasing in a few months...

HeeHo

Kotaku kinda killin' the joke there. It's funny because it practically works for games like Halo and Gears of War. I don't really get why they decided to use a bunch of jRPGs.

I'd love to see a crazy hand drawn one with lots of demons and blood and stuff, but I'm not going to take the time to do that so I did these.

Which one? Both of them are skulls.

Oh I'm sorry, I'm too new to have figured out how to quote images that aren't directly in the post.

I meant the first one. The second is cool as well, but the first one is really nice looking, kudos.

amdb00mer

brooding big guy walking away from the bad times.

Like holy shit, I wasn't a fan of DOOM 3's cover art but most Id games, or rather Id IPs have some pretty good box art covers. Even Rage's box art wasn't that offensive to the eyes but...man, this kind of sucks.

I've seen fanart and photoshops better than whatever the fuck this is, goddamn Bethesda/Id.

I would hope, at least, that there would be a reversible cover or something cool for the CE but even the screaming Revenant isn't that...good.

Looks like a poor man's version of Master Chief.

Top Bottom