• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst |OT| "We stand defiant"

Emalde

Bought it, and playing through the first now. It's good, like, really really good. Had Freedom Wars had the kind of depth this game has, I think it would have been a top tier hunting game. For one, this game actually has characters.

Also, two questions.

1. When consuming, is the charge only good for getting ammo for weapons? You get all of the materials from even quick bites?

2. I have no idea how to make a good bullet. The debuffer ones I make do basically nothing

1. Correct
2. Focus primarily on the conservation of OP in pursuit of your objective for the bullet

Ascheroth

Look at this thing of beauty
C62584161281C5C813019EFA2172FFC8437A465E

But question, is there a way to make the HUD smaller or take hudless screenshots (maybe with GeDoSaTo)? It really clutters up the view.

Are we getting any of the other DLC outfits or just the anime crossover stuff that comes with purchasing the game?

If you don't have either Bind/Hold, pick one NPC for each. Venom is purely optional and only valuable early on before everybody gets their primary combination DPS abilities.

Thanks for the tip.

Huh...voice acting isn't half bad. Just started playing today and so far the game feels very good. I hope it sells well here so that we get GE3 if that ever becomes a thing.

As someone who was actually introduced to the hunting-action genre through GEB, revisiting the series through GER and GE2RB, I'm having a blast. I'm sad the first one didn't catch on over here. I'd love to see MH levels of weapon types in a God Eater game.

Phexe

Neo Member
Loving playing GE2:RB on PC, can even run it @ 4k downsampled to 1080p @ 60fps :D

One question as a noobie GE, is there any easy way to determine a melee weapon's element type? (other than the flavour text, which sometimes isn't too clear).

Cheers!

SkyOdin

Loving playing GE2:RB on PC, can even run it @ 4k downsampled to 1080p @ 60fps :D

One question as a noobie GE, is there any easy way to determine a melee weapon's element type? (other than the flavour text, which sometimes isn't too clear).

Cheers!
There is an indicator on the right side of the crafting or upgrade screen, under the damage values for Piercing, Crushing, etc. An "O" after the listed element means that the weapon does that type of elemental damage.

Phexe

Neo Member
There is an indicator on the right side of the crafting or upgrade screen, under the damage values for Piercing, Crushing, etc. An "O" after the listed element means that the weapon does that type of elemental damage.

Ahhh thanks, I'm such a dummy haha.

Cob32

How does the split damage on a weapon work?

For example I have a short sword with;
20 Slash
60 Thrust

Does that mean I should be using more triangle attacks with this particular weapon since these appear to be thrust attacks judging from the attack animation.

Also Raw vs Element for shortblade?

OniBaka

Anyone from Europe/Australia who bought the Vita version? I understand Resurrection comes bundled with it, but after I bought GE2 off PSN, GE1 didn't download and I can't find it anywhere on PSN
I used my vita to buy GE2 and it downloaded both games. Did you check your download list?

So Second Riser (I think that's the right name) is a pretty good Blood Art on short sword. It's the one that gives you another R+Square uppercut in midair and it does a lot of damage for a single move.

Some of them seem kind of weak though, especially the ones that add blade trails on your normal attacks.

Idolmaster Alisa's apparently in.

I wonder if most of it is just packaged into the game already and they just decided to have a few anime ones as a launch advertisement.

SkyOdin

How does the split damage on a weapon work?

For example I have a short sword with;
20 Slash
60 Thrust

Does that mean I should be using more triangle attacks with this particular weapon since these appear to be thrust attacks judging from the attack animation.

Also Raw vs Element for shortblade?
When it comes to melee weapons such as Short Blades, the exact attack motion you use is completely unrelated to attack element. So, the Square and Triangle attacks of a typical Short Blade will do the same mix of both Slashing and Piercing damage.

In the example you give, each hit of the Short Blade will be doing 20 points of Slashing damage and 60 points of piercing damage (weighted by the power of the swing you use, of course). The difference between the two is in how resistant the bodypart of the Aragami you are fighting is. For example, if you use that weapon to hit a part of an Aragami that is strong to piercing but weak to slash, most of your weapon power will be wasted. So, you should be aiming for body parts that are vulnerable to piercing hits.

I'm not certain if it is exactly correct, but I'll give some examples based on my understanding of how the math works out.

1) Hitting a target weak to all forms of damage. Both slashing and piercing are 100% effective, so you deal the full 60 points of pierce and 20 points of slash, for a total of 80 points of damage.

2) Immune to slash, weak to thrust. You deal 100% of piercing, 60 points, and 10% of slash, 2 points, for a total of 62 points.

3) Immune to pierce, weak to slash. You deal 10% of piercing, 6 points, and 100% of slashing, 20 points, for a total of 26 points of damage.

4) Immune to both. You deal 10% of both damage types, dealing a total of 8 points of damage.

Note that, as far as I am aware, there are several enemy weakpoints with resistances that are somewhere between highly resistant and fully weak, and that my math is just a loose estimate that is probably highly incorrect in some way. But I think it illustrates the general idea.

As far as Raw damage vs. elemental effectiveness goes, preferably you want both. However, elemental effectiveness gives you roughly a 20% boost in damage (based on my experience, not anything more solid than that), if that helps you evaluate different weapons. As long as you avoid using an element that an enemy is resistant to, you should be okay either way.

BTW, the discussion of how attack types work I gave above only applies to melee weapons. Guns work in a different manner. In short, the damage listings for guns are multipliers that are applied to the damage done by the bullet modules selected in the bullet editor. Each bullet module is either a piercing hit or a crushing hit, with the sole exception of buckshot, which is equally both. If you have a gun with a high Crush multiplier, use bomb-type bullets or radials. If you have a gun with a high pierce modifier, use regular bullets, sniper bullets, or lasers. If you have a gun that has both, feel free to mix and match as you please.
Bought it, and playing through the first now. It's good, like, really really good. Had Freedom Wars had the kind of depth this game has, I think it would have been a top tier hunting game. For one, this game actually has characters.

Also, two questions.

1. When consuming, is the charge only good for getting ammo for weapons? You get all of the materials from even quick bites?

2. I have no idea how to make a good bullet. The debuffer ones I make do basically nothing
To answer this question from earlier...

Both devour types get the same number of materials when used on a dead Aragami. However, Charge Devours have a number of benefits to make up for their longer activation time if used on a living Aragami. I'll just lay it out here:

Quick Devour: You deal a small amount of damage, fill 50% of your Burst Gauge, and acquire one Aragami Bullet.

Charge Devour: You deal a lot of damage, fill 100% of your Burst Gauge, and acquire three Aragami Bullets.

Note that the devours are technically attacks with your melee weapon, and I'm fairly confident they share the same damage properties as that weapon. For example, a Boost Hammer's devour counts as a crushing attack, and a Long Blade's devour counts as a slashing attack, so aim them at the appropriate body parts whenever possible.

So for those of you using Short Blade, if you want to end your combos with an attack that does up to 750 damage in a single move when hitting an enemy weak point equip Killer Bee Stab Blood Art. To get it out fast use square until the fifth hit then use triangle to do the stab. IT does serious damage. This is while equipped with the Ice or Heat Drill which gives Warcry 10, and the Kokusei Shield that gives Melee Attack Up 10.

The aerial version of this is the Second Sunrise Blood Art, just R+Square then R+Square again if you have little time to get a hit in.

After testing out most of the Short Blade Blood Arts I think Killer Bee Stab is definitely the most useful if you want to deal a lot of damage quickly.

Just did 988 damage to a Kongou in one hit after breaking the torso.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I'm seriously considering getting this. How is it for longtime MH fans? I've found that every other hunting game I've tried (Toukiden, Freedom Wars, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Soul Sacrifice Delta) has been rather disappointing. Toukiden came the closest to replicating the MH experience for me, but the overall lack of difficulty put me off. How is GE2 in that regard? I'd love a challenging hunting game I can really get into as MH Gen kinda disappointed me. If another longtime MH fan could sell me on GE2 I'd really appreciate it.

Emalde

So I'm seriously considering getting this. How is it for longtime MH fans? I've found that every other hunting game I've tried (Toukiden, Freedom Wars, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Soul Sacrifice Delta) has been rather disappointing. Toukiden came the closest to replicating the MH experience for me, but the overall lack of difficulty put me off. How is GE2 in that regard? I'd love a challenging hunting game I can really get into as MH Gen kinda disappointed me. If another longtime MH fan could sell me on GE2 I'd really appreciate it.

If MH is what gets your rocks off, literally none of the other games in this "genre" will excite you because they are all literally trying not to be MH. Faster, less arduous, easier, less complex, more streamlined, etc etc etc.

If you want a button-mashy game w/ a bunch of auxiliary features, GE is great. If you want MH, you should stick to MH. Maybe check out the Frontier MMO.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
If MH is what gets your rocks off, literally none of the other games in this "genre" will excite you because they are all literally trying not to be MH. Faster, less arduous, easier, less complex, more streamlined, etc etc etc.

If you want a button-mashy game w/ a bunch of auxiliary features, GE is great. If you want MH, you should stick to MH. Maybe check out the Frontier MMO.

Yeah, I kinda figured that'd be the case. Thanks.

Although, that said, if I'm still interested in trying out the series, how's Resurrection compared to 2, content/gameplay-wise? $20 isn't a huge investment to try something out, I suppose, and I'm still interested in giving it a look if only because GE is the only MH clone series I haven't tried yet.

EDIT: On second thought, did some more reading on the game and I think I'm gonna pass. Really doesn't sound like it's for me.

PaulSane

How's the online community? I had a look yesterday for GE:R and there was only 2 rooms.

If i'm not mistaken, GE uses lobby system where you create a lobby, invite people\wait for people to join and then start a game - at that point your lobby is no longer displayed in the list, since you can't hot-join a game anyway. So the two rooms you saw were two parties that haven't started a game yet - and from my experience, game sessions in God Eater tend to be rather lengthy, so there are a lot more multiplayer games being played than it seems :)
Also, creating a multiplayer game and inviting people is very quick and easy, so most of the lobbies aren't staying visible for long.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

This game is hardly challenging. Plus you can totally break it with the bullet system later in the game.

One needs to remember that MH has had over a decade to improve its formula. Most other series are just starting.

Game is high speed melee spam mixed in with third person shooting on the fly. It works great for what it is as long as you dont try to compare it to MH.

Shengar

Most other game actually more complex than less. MH's gameplay is very simple and that simplicity is what gives them extreme depth. Of course I'm talking about the weapon moveset, not the overall hunting play.
at least until CB arrives.
Not that they've taken the opportunity to.
f1Tq1Sf.png

At least they fix the hitboxes and instant-frame attack moves.

The only thing that other hunting game needs to copy from MH is thoroughfully thinking on how each weapon interact with the monsters moveset. But again, MH needs Nargacuga and Tri to pull this off, so other games should take their time in improving their formula.

Emalde

Most other game actually more complex than less. MH's gameplay is very simple and that simplicity is what gives them extreme depth. Of course I'm talking about the weapon moveset, not the overall hunting play.
at least until CB arrives.

Hit zones, critical distance, true raw, motion values, MH obscures far too much information to a massive detriment. Even if these same things exist in the other games, they give you ways to measure their potency.

The only thing that other hunting game needs to copy from MH is thoroughfully thinking on how each weapon interact with the monsters moveset. But again, MH needs Nargacuga and Tri to pull this off, so other games should take their time in improving their formula.

Going from GE:R to GE2:BR, predator style is an amazing universal solution to this problem in their gameplay which is sorely missed in the transition. It's an umbrella fix, but one that Definitely Works all the same.

Zareka

DLC costumes don't come with the game, but Amazon should've e-mailed you the code.

Hmm, I don't seem to have an email with the code either. Plenty of emails about the order but no codes. Guess I'll just have to get on to CS about it. Pretty annoying considering it was a day late too.

Rarius

Is there a breakdown of the weapons in resurrection? There seems to be basically nothing describing how any moves work, like by complete accident I once did a massive jet slam with the hammer where I did like five times as much damage, or what the heck the uh... parry (????) does on the sword. Like I'm sure there are a bunch of controls that I have no idea how to do.

Ephidel

it keeps happening
Oh please, there's a whole bunch of that shit in Resurrection too and you said earlier that was fine. I also genuinely think those odd Personal Ability contractions are down to some sort of character limit (granted, II didn't need to be contracted because they can fit III in afterwards, but maybe III didn't fit :p).

Ascheroth

Is there a breakdown of the weapons in resurrection? There seems to be basically nothing describing how any moves work, like by complete accident I once did a massive jet slam with the hammer where I did like five times as much damage, or what the heck the uh... parry (????) does on the sword. Like I'm sure there are a bunch of controls that I have no idea how to do.

All the moves of the weapons (and some other stuff) are listed in the Database under System Terms, I think.

Emalde

Oh please, there's a whole bunch of that shit in Resurrection too and you said earlier that was fine. I also genuinely think those odd Personal Ability contractions are down to some sort of character limit (granted, II didn't need to be contracted because they can fit III in afterwards, but maybe III didn't fit :p).

Is there? I absolutely never ran into anything egregious on PS4 GE:R, all of these keep coming up during regular play of 2:BR. I feel like a single QA pass would have resolved most of it, but who knows

SkyOdin

There is a set of in-game tutorial videos found in the archive that demonstrate all of the weapon special actions. They also briefly demonstrate some combos for the weapons. I would highly recommend watching all of them. Descriptions of the moves can also be found in the database. If you still have any questions, I can try explaining a bit.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I know I said what I said a few posts up about the game not sounding like it was for me, but after that I kept thinking about it/reading about it and eventually I realized that there were demos for both Resurrection and 2:RB on JPSN. So I grabbed the Resurrection demo and I've been working through it. And y'know? I actually do kinda dig it. It's certainly not MH, but it does feel like there's some challenge to be had here, and the combat does feel really good. Really like the visual style too. So yeah, I dunno, I'm definitely going to mess with the demo a bit more, but I might actually grab Resurrection after all.

Holy shit. Why is the audio quality for this absolute dogshit compared to Resurrection.

No clue. It's only in the full cutscenes.

Normal scenes appear to be fine but the audio quality goes down the shitter (the res seems to be low on them too as well as the opening video) during cutscenes.

I hope this doesn't derail the thread, but has anything been said about the PC version having Denuvo? I'm not a DRM purist, but I do tend to stay away from titles that have extra DRM tacked on. Is it just for the protection of first week sales?

sensui-tomo

Holy shit. Why is the audio quality for this absolute dogshit compared to Resurrection.

have a friend who has both the pc and ps4 release, said the ps4 sounds worse/compressed compared to the pc version. (i've been playing GE2 on pc , played GE1 on ps4 and i can say the pc port at least is good)

Ascheroth

For anyone interested, here are the PSHashes to get hudless screenshots with GeDoSaTo in Resurrection.
Code:
injectPSHash 40281d2e
injectPSHash 82938a24
injectPSHash bfa838f7
injectPSHash abde9c8d
injectPSHash 8638b70a

It's possible that I've missed some, since the game seems to randomly choose from a number of hashes every startup, but those 5 seem to work fine.

Anyway, have some hudless Quadriga action

I think GE2 uses the same engine, so they could work there as well, but I haven't tried it.

At the
2nd area base thing with the other group
, over all seems very soul sacrifice using a blade, hit a dozen times, dodge, repeat. Still dont get the guns or when they are useful outside of when they run away.

Mephala

At the
2nd area base thing with the other group
, over all seems very soul sacrifice using a blade, hit a dozen times, dodge, repeat. Still dont get the guns or when they are useful outside of when they run away.

Guns deal its own damage types. So Gun Slash/Blunt/Pierce are different to Melee Slash/Blunt/Pierce. As you fight larger enemies some of them will have harder to reach parts that are weaker to gun types for breaking.

Guns can be quite powerful too and later, custom homing bullets are a good way to keep the damage going. While melee comboing you can RB+A to leap backwards whilst switching to gun mode. Great for when an enemy is doing an aoe around itself.

Gun also lets you use aragami bullets when you devour living enemies. You can pass the shot to any ally and give them a quick burst.

Okay so... What's character progression in this game?

Right now I'm just beating up monsters and taking their body parts to make better weapons. All these abandon god arcs, personal skills, and Blood techniques is overwhelming... @_@

I'm currently at the [Difficulty II] missions.

Emalde

Okay so... What's character progression in this game?

Right now I'm just beating up monsters and taking their body parts to make better weapons. All these abandon god arcs, personal skills, and Blood techniques is overwhelming... @_@

I'm currently at the [Difficulty II] missions.

Slow and generally unimportant until you've "beaten" the/a campaign. Keep your shield upgraded, and defensive upgrade modules if you have any, but other than that just grab the highest numbers and keep plowing the story. You get very few proper freedoms in gear selection until you start reaching the end of whole storylines.

Slow and generally unimportant until you've "beaten" the/a campaign. Keep your shield upgraded, and defensive upgrade modules if you have any, but other than that just grab the highest numbers and keep plowing the story. You get very few proper freedoms in gear selection until you start reaching the end of whole storylines.

Roger that, and how long is the campaign story? Currently I'm at the point where I became
Ciel's first friend
, so I'm guess another 20 more hours? ^^;

Normally I would love to take my sweet time... Except Trails of Cold Steel 2 is just around the corner...

Roger that, and how long is the campaign story? Currently I'm at the point where I became
Ciel's first friend
, so I'm guess another 20 more hours? ^^;

Normally I would love to take my sweet time... Except Trails of Cold Steel 2 is just around the corner...

GER is about 60-70hrs. GE2RB is longer. Specially if you tackle side mission and whatnot.

Mentok

Banned
I made an excel file of all the monsters' elemental strengths/weaknesses based off the wikia info. Not sure how to upload it here for everyone though....

Man, this game is a TON of content. I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

At first I was bummed out about the lack of predator styles introduced from GE:R, but Blood Arts really add a lot of flavor to the combat. The character story arcs also make you give a damn about the other members of the team. I *love* how they've really hammed up Kanon's incompetence. It's hilarious.

Top Bottom