• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater 3 announced

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Funny thing about the keywords the one who uploaded the trailer used:

"keywords":["God Eater","Monster Hunter","Dark Souls","Code Vein","PlayStation 4","Action RPG","RPG","Console Game","Gaming","XboxOne","PC","Aragami","Final Fantasy"]
Well there it is lol

sublimit

Banned
The environments look exactly the same as Code Vein minus the Thorns of Judgement. :p I could have easily thought that both games take place in the same world.

koutoru

I'm expecting this to be similar to Code Vein, tech wise.

Running UE4 on PS4, PC, and Xbox One with enhancements for both PS4 Pro and X1 due to Phil talking with Bandai Namco.

Funny thing about the keywords the one who uploaded the trailer used:

"keywords":["God Eater","Monster Hunter","Dark Souls","Code Vein","PlayStation 4","Action RPG","RPG","Console Game","Gaming","XboxOne","PC","Aragami","Final Fantasy"]

I mean, if I were to make a JRPG, I'd also put Final Fantasy in the tags.

I've seen some aggressive mobile gaming ads. They might even go as far as calling their game Final Fantasy.

Ridley327

Not really a whole lot there, but I don't think anyone is expecting it until late 2018 at the earliest, and only in Japan.

I wonder why they didn't bother to announce this at TGS, especially since it didn't seem like they cared that terribly much about getting Code Vein out there at the event.

Rymuth

Not really a whole lot there, but I don't think anyone is expecting it until late 2018 at the earliest, and only in Japan.

I wonder why they didn't bother to announce this at TGS, especially since it didn't seem like they cared that terribly much about getting Code Vein out there at the event.

inb4 Duckroll coming in and saying "TGS don't matter!"

In all honesty, though, more and more Japanese devs are moving towards announcing games in their own special events outside of TGS. Tales has an event. Dragon Quest has an event. This was announced at a concert dedicated to the GE franchise.

The BN Asia press release says

After the successful launch of God Eater 2 Rage Burst, leading video game publisher and developer BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Asia announces that it will be bringing GOD EATER 3 that is totally upgraded from last series, the latest iteration of the monster slaying Action RPG series. GOD EATER 3, developed for home console will be available across Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia,Thailand, Philippines and Indonesia).

PS4 is a lock in. Pc when it comes to the west as well going by namco and god eater. The question is switch or not. Vita defo ruled out by the wording imo.

Ceadeus

I really feel like this genre is fading.

Each monster hunting game that comes out have nothing new on the table. You just know you'll grind sponges for hours.

MH used to be the only game I play but i'm now completely burned out from this saturated genre :/

Kyoufu

Each monster hunting game that comes out have nothing new on the table. You just know you'll grind sponges for hours.

MH used to be the only game I play but i'm now completely burned out from this saturated genre :/

I felt burned out on MH because it wasn't moving forward on 3DS hardware. MHX felt too much like MH4 which felt too much like MH3 which felt too much like MH2 etc.

I'm banking on MHW revitalising my addiction to the hunting genre. Hopefully GE3 can do something special itself. If it's just more of GE2 then I'd probably not play it a whole lot.

NSESN

I felt burned out on MH because it wasn't moving forward on 3DS hardware. MH4 felt too much like MH3 which felt too much like MH2 etc.

I'm banking on MHW revitalising my addiction to the hunting genre. Hopefully GE3 can do something special itself. If it's just more of GE2 then I'd probably not play it a whole lot.

MH3 and 4 feels not alike. And lol at blaming the hardware.

Ridley327

inb4 Duckroll coming in and saying "TGS don't matter!"

In all honesty, though, more and more Japanese devs are moving towards announcing games in their own special events outside of TGS. Tales has an event. Dragon Quest has an event. This was announced at a concert dedicated to the GE franchise.

I guess, but considering how quickly this is coming off of TGS, I'm of the opinion that there really wasn't a good reason not to announce it there, unless TGS has a strict "don't tease out platform designations" requirement.

Kyoufu

MH3 and 4 feels not alike. And lol at blaming the hardware.

Yes they did. MH4 introduced some verticality and a mounting mechanic but that's really it.

And why is blaming 3DS hardware funny to you? Look at how much they're able to add to MHW with the gigantic leap in RAM and CPU power.

Salty about mhw I see.

Nah, I played MH3 for Wii for about 30 minutes and it wasn't for me. I have no investment in the series at all. I've talked MH briefly here and there in sales threads, but my interest in it now is mostly just in the goldmine of comedy surrounding Capcom.

This was my stance on MH in May before we knew platforms:

I'm not into MH, so my desired outcome would be Scorpio exclusive. What a lovely thread that would be.

God Eater 2 Rage Burst is around 200 000 sales on Steam, that's not bad at all. Makes me wonder how much MW World can do there. As for God Eater 3 on Switch I don't think we know enough about Bandai Namco level of support just yet to be sure of anything, it's 50/50. Right now my guess is the game will not focus too much on the japanese market (just like Code Vein) and we will actually see it pretty much everywhere : PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC.

NSESN

Yes they did. MH4 introduced some verticality and a mounting mechanic but that's really it.

And why is blaming 3DS hardware funny to you? Look at how much they're able to add to MHW with the gigantic leap in RAM and CPU power.

Why not blame Capcom? Almost any of the changes have to do with hardware power.

Mista

Banned
Never played any God Eater before. How is it from your experience guys? and its similar to which game?

Ceadeus

I felt burned out on MH because it wasn't moving forward on 3DS hardware. MHX felt too much like MH4 which felt too much like MH3 which felt too much like MH2 etc.

I hope it works for you, but in the end you'll surprise yourself fighting a rathalos for the 1000th time and be like... Ok i seen this before

Kyoufu

Why not blame Capcom? Almost any of the changes have to do with hardware power.

There's a lot they couldn't implement on the 3DS games due to hardware power. I suggest watching their GDC talk about localising MH4U and the things they wanted to add but couldn't because of memory restrictions.

Ridley327

Never played any God Eater before. How is it from your experience guys? and its similar to which game?

It's OK. It's basically if Monster Hunter played more like the edgelord version of Kingdom Hearts. Some people love the extra mobility of the series, but the combat is too basic for my tastes, and the aesthetic can be pretty grating.

Mista

Banned
It's OK. It's basically if Monster Hunter played more like the edgelord version of Kingdom Hearts. Some people love the extra mobility of the series, but the combat is too basic for my tastes, and the aesthetic can be pretty grating.

No wonder it never caught my attention. Thanks

fortunato

Banned

The genre itself only made commercial sense on PSP, because Monster Hunter was there (and there it exploded), people were hungry for similar games on the same platform, and local co-op was the main driver of its success. Without portability (at least in Japan) and with Monster Hunter spreading across platforms, the genre will have a much harder time.

God Eater has already seen a pretty steep decline in Japan, and it didn't take off on PS4 (especially comparing with other PSV/PS4 titles which had a much smoother transition handheld->home). Other attempts in the same genre were poisoned by bad management decisions, such as embracing PSV (Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars), or low budget (Final Fantasy Explorers), or design choices (Toukiden 2). Also, the popularity in Western countries is really low.

I actually like the aesthetic, but the weightless weapons are what kills it for me. Either way I'm not buying a hunting game for a non-portable so I'm probably not going to get this.

Lux R7

Mh, i may be interested. I can get god eater 2 steam version for 10 euro. Is it worth it? I never played a god eater game so i don't know what to expect. Is it like MH in terms of gameplay?

Ridley327

I actually like the aesthetic, but the weightless weapons are what kills it for me. Either way I'm not buying a hunting game for a non-portable so I'm probably not going to get this.

Yeah, I know the art style has its fans, but I've never been a big fan of the outfits being strictly cosmetic, as everyone looks so ridiculous in their stock anime clothes (come at me, Alisa fans!), and the monsters don't do anything for me at all. It's all too garish for me.

Mephala

I disagree completely but I know I play the game a little differently so I might be in the minority. I mean, I understand getting burned out but I think each game (ignoring Ultimate/update releases) is pretty standout. I know most people will tend to mad rush to late game "fun" parts and use meta tactics and weapons to make the most out of their runs. To me, this is the reward at the end of the path and not something I typically enjoy for long periods when I get there. I much prefer the slow struggle and experimenting with what works until I finally reach the top with occasional dips outside or online to get help with certain road blocks or to more efficiently get an item I need.

Monster Hunter releases with new weapons, new monsters, skills, status, elements etc. I'm fine with this.

Toukiden was an interesting one. It had its own take on weapons and monster part destruction. The purification and spirit collection system was interesting. The sequel adds the spirit hand/grappling hook feature as well as somewhat open world. Some of the best AI companions.

God Eater allows focuses on customising only your God Arc really almost everything else is cosmetics. The weapon has a shield, melee and gun in each variation and you can craft bullets for your guns. This bullet crafting is pretty deep and can literally break the game. The feel of the combat in this is far more fast paced but is somewhat let down by an insane amount of easy and boring missions until later chapters where you need to focus a bit. Missions are much faster though. The pledge/burst system is also pretty unique and very powerful. I also really like the combo and move variations in GE2RB though I hear customization was better in GER (never played this version). If nothing else the AI's ability with the healing shots are to be commended.

Freedom Wars' thorn is one of the most innovative features in the genre. The ability to cling to walls, spring to enemies and revive downed allies from a distance is exceptional. The abduction/recovery type missions where the main purpose isn't to destroy enemies but to save the captured allies or NPCs is also fantastic. I really want a sequel to see where this goes. Each player having an AI robot companion is also interesting. It means there can be 8 human like allies on the field at one time causing chaos.

Soul Sacrifice is one of my favourites. It's setting is great and the premise is strange. Has the best story in the genre and mechanically does a lot of unique and interesting things. I enjoy the offering system quite a bit more than I imagined I would and I think a sequel that tunes this a bit better would be fantastic. Similarly Black Rites are great in concept but a little lacking in execution. Quite nice build variety.

Ridley327

Oh this kinda puts me off

Here's a decent video of combat. One of the big things about the gameplay is unlike other hunting action titles, every weapon is both melee and ranged with just the tap of a button, so you can slash at an enemy and then go right into shooting at them. The ranged element might actually be the most in-depth element to the game, since there's a bullet crafting system that you can get into that allows you to control virtually every element of how a bullet acts once fired, right down to the arc it follows. You can even do some really crazy stuff like having it climb up a bit from a horizontal position before slamming into the target at full force.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'll spoil the platforms, it's coming to everything but Switch.

If you want it on Switch, Bandai Namco execs want to see you begging for it.

Yup
Of course

BTW, looking g forward for it on PS4
Inspires me more than code vein so far

Lux R7

Here's a decent video of combat. One of the big things about the gameplay is unlike other hunting action titles, every weapon is both melee and ranged with just the tap of a button, so you can slash at an enemy and then go right into shooting at them. The ranged element might actually be the most in-depth element to the game, since there's a bullet crafting system that you can get into that allows you to control virtually every element of how a bullet acts once fired, right down to the arc it follows. You can even do some really crazy stuff like having it climb up a bit from a horizontal position before slamming into the target at full force.

Well it seems ok! I'll think about it, thanks for all your info

Mephala

Well it seems ok! I'll think about it, thanks for all your info

I enjoy the game well enough. The mechanics are quite nice but the mission designs are slow and the progress is excruciating as you need to get through many missions before you begin to find a decent challenge.

Weapon variety and customisability is not bad. Bullet customisations can break the game.

In general I would say the game is dated but still fun to be had. Don't expect MH quality though. MH is the peak, everything else is downhill even if it is equal or better in one or two areas nothing compares as a whole.

Top Bottom