• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater (PSP) demo now up on Famitsu.com

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1229546_1124.html

Download it here: http://eb-dl.pod.tv/trial/ge_trial.zip
More info: http://www.godeater.jp/trial/howtoplay.html

What is this: Some Monster Hunter ripoff thing from Scamco.

Why do I want this: I don't know, but it's free. Oh and the composer of ToL is working on it. Rock!

Why does duckroll keep trolling all of us: I'm not, you just have to accept me for who I am.

Have you tried it: Yes, I've played 2 minutes of it. Seems very strong in terms of graphics and audio. Haven't fought any battles yet.

This came out yesterday, why is the thread so late: Because yesterday the server was overloaded and I couldn't even download it!

Vrakanox

Finally , I was just starting to get over Monster Hunter. I'm downloading it now I'll be playing online in a few hours.

kadotsu

Banned
First impressions:

The characters are cliche B-tier shounen anime. Think Sousei no Aquarion. The weapon design is ridiculous, thrice the size of a character. Its like they glued motorbike engines onto Cloud's sword. The swords are also living beings design similar to "The Darkness". Idle character animations suck, battle animations are ok.

Gameplay is surprisingly solid. Its basically Monster Hunter with Zelda style lock on. The weapon you wield is comparable with the long sword+charge attacks but you can transform it into a long range weapon which mimics Monster Hunters heavy bowgun.
You can dash and double jump. Your character can also perform some kind of limit break attack when he has fought for a while. Your weapon can also eat enemies.

Overall good game that I would like more if it had a cohesive and more grounded artstyle.

CamHostage

kadotsu said:
First impressions:

The characters are cliche B-tier shounen anime. Think Sousei no Aquarion. The weapon design is ridiculous, thrice the size of a character. Its like they glued motorbike engines onto Cloud's sword. The swords are also living beings design similar to "The Darkness". Idle character animations suck, battle animations are ok.

Gameplay is surprisingly solid. Its basically Monster Hunter with Zelda style lock on. The weapon you wield is comparable with the long sword+charge attacks but you can transform it into a long range weapon which mimics Monster Hunters heavy bowgun.
You can dash and double jump. Your character can also perform some kind of limit break attack when he has fought for a while. Your weapon can also eat enemies.

Overall good game that I would like more if it had a cohesive and more grounded artstyle.

I like the graphics quite a bit technically, although you're right that its style is all over the place.

As far as gameplay, my impression is that with jumping and locks and the other techniques built in but also with the slidey control, it is both the poor man's Monster Hunter and the rich man's Monster Hunter.

Spiegel said:
You can see a video of the second? mission here

240px-BlackRoseHeavyBlade.jpg

By the by, that first few minutes of ranged looked incredibly boring, glad I stuck around for the later parts.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
kadotsu said:

so it's futuristic Monster Hunter.

this thing will sell in japan

duckroll said:
Why does duckroll keep trolling all of us: I'm not, you just have to accept me for who I am.

Ducktroll ?

Vrakanox

Damn this game is pretty fun. Don't know any Japanese though. I'm wondering if I should just stick to Monster Hunter until it comes out in English or make a serious attempt to figure it out. I guess it all depends on how popular it is with the English speaking crowd.

Anyway the combat system is a blast more fun than Monster Hunter as far as I can tell. I like the anime style characters although I will admit those swords are way too humongous. I know there is no way those little guys could lift those things.

kadotsu

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
Who do I talk to in that lobby area to go fight something?

Any idea if the character creator will be more robust in the final version?

Take the elevator to the lab then talk to the lady at the desk.

DR2K said:
Any way I can get this to play on my Go?

plug your psp go to your pc like the psp-3000 and earlier? drag and drop the psp folder on to the root directory?

stupid CFW. i want to try this out!

Xanathus

Based on the gameplay video, combat still seems too floaty and there isn't any weight to the attacks. I can't tell whether the attacks are connecting to the monster or not. Also those stationary turret monsters look annoying, and it's weird how you can't tell whether they're still alive.

Still anxiously anticipating :eek:

Udde

wow, it looks pretty good for a PSP game! I think I would describe it as Soukaigi + Monster Hunter + Vagrant Story :lol

Demo levelling etc carries over to the full game too. At least that was what was reported a few weeks back when the dmeo was revealed.
Gonna try this and I expect to love it and get my preorder in :)

Jonnyram

Wasn't remotely interested until you said "composer of ToL" - this game has a score by Go Shiina!?!? I will download as soon as I get home!

koma

I tried the God Eater demo for a couple of hours and killed the second "God". The game plays like a more arcade version of Monster Hunter, but still it's a lot more technical than PSO, which is awesome imo. It seems that you'll need some time to master the controls, but it seems worth the time.

There are so many actions / buttons to use, but the japanese tutorial helps enough (still, i'm not sure about some of the stuff that you can do.. what are those shining things to take with O?).

The first demo mission is easy, with 3 small enemies, but when you'll fight your first God along with 3 other NPCs that shot lasers from the other side of the arena, use their huge swords while flying around or revive you when the God has killed your character, then you'll feel that God Eater could be an awesome coop game. I need to try this with some friends asap.

I'm not sure why, but God Eater reminds me of a mix between Monster Hunter and Phantom Dust

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
My impressions

Oh jesus, this game is HARD! Maybe it's because I've never played monhun before, but it really just tries your patience and endurance.

The first Challenge Mission in particular has you up alone against 2 or 3 Vasura Aragami and 2 of another type that I'm not familiar with. It has wings and shoots energy spheres at you that inflict a lot of damage.

The Demo itself is really packed, too. It seems you have access to about 7 other Blade-Forms, 5 or 6 Gun-forms, and shields and you can purchase or upgrade with money (Fc) and materials you pickup on the field.

Character customization is a bit limited, though. If they had accessories as a separate category instead of attaching them to Hair customization, I could be a little bit more diverse. Preset colors and no gradient sliders for hair sucks though, although you change those at any time when accessing a Terminal before going out to the field.

From what little I've gathered from the story, it seems typical but at the same time strangely original-- As a new recruit, I believe, you are bound to weapons called God Eaters made from genes from Aragami or something. It's pretty neat, I think. Again, typical, but still pretty neat.

The game structure is mission-based naturally: You select missions from the Anagra(?) and head out to the field. You are limited to 30 minutes on a field though, so if time runs out, you fail the mission. Some missions have respawn counts that say you cannot die (i.e Lose all of your HP in a mission and your partner fails to respawn you in the 30-second limit) 3 times. If an ally fails to revive you though, you are sent back to where you started on the map. Maps are fairly large, but not too big, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

At the end of a mission, you're ranked, with SSS+ being the highest. I'm not sure what the lowest ranking is, as mine was a B, but the ranking are determined in part by clear time, Link Aids, Burst Modes, and few other things listed in Kanji I have no clue about.

All in all, it's a pretty good game. Very technical and complex, but still pretty satisfying. The controls are too ambitious for the PSP though. Having two or three crucial functions mapped onto the same button totally suck balls. The music is absolutely wonderful though as Masaru Shiina surely doesn't disappoint. The graphics are pretty decent. Of course, probably due to the amount of bloom plastered everywhere.

Takao

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
Anyone having issues DL this directly on the PSP. Its saving to the PSP Commons folder but I can't seem to open the file.

Suggestions?

If you're dling via the browser and Duckroll's link, you can't. You need a PC to extract the the eboot file, since it's been compressed into a zip file that the PSP can't read.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
No problem.

On another note, I still have no clue what purpose turning your God Eater into Predator Mode serves. Absorbing the Aragami's power only offers you the ability to double jump, generally move faster it, and a Level-1 special Aragami Gun-Form bullet that you can use only once (and stack up for any subsequent "chomps" after Level-1). Besides sending Link Aids to other players (which, of course is absolutely worthless when playing with computers), what point does it serve? I keep thinking it might improve your mission ranking, but other than that, I'm still wondering its purpose.

I really hope this is localized, just so I know a little bit more about the mechanics. Locking on to different parts of Vajura Aragami, for example, seems so pointless since they move so fast and just don't seem to respond to part-based damage at all (maybe they do though-- messages occasionally pop up during combat about your targets. I haven't had a chance to actually read what they say though, besides those about allies needing to be respawned, or yourself.)

From what I've seen of the demo it seems fun enough, but I can't really find much here that isn't more or less eclipsed by Phantasy Star Portable 2. Well, except for the Shiina sound track. I loves me some Go Shiina.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Farore said:
How is the music? I'm only interested because of Shiina...
The music is superb!

I personally don't think it has to same diversity and flavor that you'd find in Tales of Legendia, but even so, it's very good.
Battle themes occur during combat, much like Phantasy Star Online. From the two areas available in the demo, Forest of Pylons and Town of Atonement, they are pretty amazing. The track of the former, is especially good.

There are some sample tracks in the special section of the official site.

Camera management in this game is absolute garbage. Couple that with how difficult it is for me to hold the psp for extended periods of time.

Sagitario

Surgeon Rocket said:
The music is superb!

I personally don't think it has to same diversity and flavor that you'd find in Tales of Legendia, but even so, it's very good.
Battle themes occur during combat, much like Phantasy Star Online. From the two areas available in the demo, Forest of Pylons and Town of Atonement, they are pretty amazing. The track of the former, is especially good.

There are some sample tracks in the special section of the official site.

Camera management in this game is absolute garbage. Couple that with how difficult it is for me to hold the psp for extended periods of time.

Edit: OMG @ the music in the website!!! <3 Shiina...

Top Bottom