• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War 2018 and Ragnarok are way overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I own GoW III remastered and I much prefer Ragnarok's combat
Yeah, because it doesn't require skill.

200w.gif

GametimeUK

I was so burned out on GoW that I totally skipped GoW Ascension back in the day. I played through GoW 2018 and had a good enough time with it, but I really missed the classic style game.

I then played Ascension and had so much more fun. It was kind of cool actually to be able to have a new experience with the classic gameplay.

I dunno... the new games are just fine. The classic games are where its at for me.

MrA

Banned
ahhhh overrated, when other people think a game is better than I do but are wrong because I'm smarterer and rightererer than they are!
I personally don't think gow or gowR are that great, but other people think they are fantastic, lots of people, I'm simply of a minority opinion, they aren't wrong and the games aren't overrated....now under appreciated is a better topic to explore, just don't pick a multimillion selling super highly rated game as your example.

DW74

I liked my Kratos loud, pissed, banging chicks, and tearing off heads.

Couldn't get into Dad of War. I realize by the time Ascension came, they had run the well dry, though. I just wouldn't have gone in the direction Barlog did. Might have just let the series be retired.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
bro never played action games before

But i do admit GOW has tons more pretty colorful glitters on-screen.

Does Bloodborne count? I've beat it 3 times

Ninja Gaiden?

Nier Automata?

Devil May Cry?

I've played a lot of them

digdug2

In terms of overall content, the games are absolutely overrated. I think that the main story is great for both games, but man those side quests are ridiculously grindy and annoying. If you're an achievement hunter, these games aren't fun.

GymWolf

Imagine being one of those putting "fire" and like under that post..

bR0H3YB.png
The only chance is the he played on easy or normal and never touched hard or very hard or that he completely ignored all the side fights, but ragnarock is different from 2018 that only had hard fights as sidecontent, you need to beat some nasty fights even during the story and more than 2 enemies on screen are already problematic on higher difficulty mode.

I heard drenchdickhard calling horizon and ragnarock boring in favour of returnal but both games are way, WAY harder then returnal so once again, i think they played these games on normal and never touched the hardest difficulty (or that he is just ignoring the combat side and just talking in general)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I know you played the game, you don't strike me as a M fanboy ready to lie, but that was just a bizarre thing to say for a game that at max difficulty is as hard as any fromsoft game (and harder than some of them)

Games are solid on those difficulties...just some of the bosses are too cheap and the weak area combat is not ideal to roll on those difficulties. I wouldn't put myself through that ever again. Especially not on ragnarok. Making it so you are just one shot by enemies is deffo a choice.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Games are solid on those difficulties...just some of the bosses are too cheap and the weak area combat is not ideal to roll on those difficulties. I wouldn't put myself through that ever again. Especially not on ragnarok. Making it so you are just one shot by enemies is deffo a choice.
They require absolute focus and no mistake, when other games like doom or fromgames do the same i never heard these critics tbh, just the usual git gud.

At least you don't die in gow because the camera does the fuck it wants at random (being too close is the problem of gow gamera) or enemy hits throught solid objects...

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Brah, I was just trying to lighten the mood. Everyone is so stone cold serious about this crap, lol.

It's not actually a big deal when you think about it.

You really have a great way of explaining your negatives and I agree with them. I wouldn't be able articulate it as well.

Like, if people love these games then fair play...they are wrong but they will think I'm wrong in my opinion. Thats fine. We should be able to just laugh it off. 😆

A lot of people love poorly written and designed, badly paced popcorn flicks....

That's fine, so do I when I want it...let me see flashy effects and brain dead humour...I just admit I know what it is.

:😀

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They require absolute focus and no mistake, when other games like doom or fromgames do the same i never heard these critics tbh, just the usual git gud.

At least you don't die in gow because the camera does the fuck it wants at random (being too close is the problem of gow gamera) or enemy hits throught solid objects...

Put me one on one with a berserker or a valkyrie and I completely agree with you. It's absolute concentration and top tier vibes when you are locked in.

I will stress, I loved ragnarok when it let me be kratos and I went and did my thing. There was like a 10 or 12 hour window towards the end that I absolutely adored it. Mopping up berserkers....side content etc.... I was like...this is a ten out of ten right here...then I thought I'll just do this one story mission. I was suddenly transported to being little shit again and trudging through snow or something...I can't even remember and I was like...Holy shit here we are again....no combos, stupid wacking people with a bow...it made me sit there and think...kill this shit.....I remember the other 40 hours of badly paced, poorly written, weak dialogue, awful handholding, constantly yanking me away to play as different characters and walk through areas....

Man, it pissed me off and it solidifies it that anyone with any real sense about gaming...in my opinion of course...would not rate this above a 7.5 or an 8 out of ten for the overall package.

In my opinion, if one quarter of your game is absolutely excellent and genuinely 10/10 content and 3 quarters is like 5/10 content...you have issues...

Especially when the best parts of the game are side content and could be missed by 90 percent of players. So something just doesn't add up to me.

Hypnotised by incredible production values I guess.

Shit, sorry for double post.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Put me one on one with a berserker or a valkyrie and I completely agree with you. It's absolute concentration and top tier vibes when you are locked in.

I will stress, I loved ragnarok when it let me be kratos and I went and did my thing. There was like a 10 or 12 hour window towards the end that I absolutely adored it. Mopping up berserkers....side content etc.... I was like...this is a ten out of ten right here...then I thought I'll just do this one story mission. I was suddenly transported to being little shit again and trudging through snow or something...I can't even remember and I was like...Holy shit here we are again....no combos, stupid wacking people with a bow...it made me sit there and think...kill this shit.....I remember the other 40 hours of badly paced, poorly written, weak dialogue, awful handholding, constantly yanking me away to play as different characters and walk through areas....

Man, it pissed me off and it solidifies it that anyone with any real sense about gaming...in my opinion of course...would not rate this above a 7.5 or an 8 out of ten for the overall package.

In my opinion, if one quarter of your game is absolutely excellent and genuinely 10/10 content and 3 quarters is like 5/10 content...you have issues...

Especially when the best parts of the game are side content and could be missed by 90 percent of players. So something just doesn't add up to me.

Hypnotised by incredible production values I guess.

Shit, sorry for double post.
Sure i have no problem with people who didn't liked the pace or playing with little shit.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I realize that it's a spicy thread premise but I hope that at least it grabbed your attention.

Now, before I move on, let me be clear - those are perfectly fine games. I don't really have any major complaints about them beyond the fact that I'm just not into them. If you're into the sort of experience that they're offering, then I'm sure you're gonna have a great time.

My main problem with these games is that they're way too focused on everything except what used to make this series great.

They're long, they take forever to get anywhere, the combat is a slog, the story is pretentious, and watching the behind-the-scenes footage makes the creators of the game seem way too preoccupied with the notion that they're creating some form of high-brow art. But personally, the story being told in this game resonated with me about as much as a loud fart resonates inside of my toilet bowl.

You know what I used to love about God of War? The fact that as soon as I put the disc into my console, it greeted me with a title screen that immediately got my blood pumping:

It's the fact that as soon as you pressed the Start button, a really pissed off Kratos made sure to let you know that you're in for a mean ride, and you don't wanna be there once he starts passing tickets around. Those classic games didn't fuck around. They told great, heroic tales too, but they never spent more time dishing out the plot than it was necessary and you spent most of the time curb stomping monsters and wearing their entrails like a necklace. It was a pure, unapologetic, testosterone-fueled power fantasy, and its main concern was to make sure that you have a raging power-boner the entire time while playing.

And what do we have in those new games? A 45-hour journey following an elderly man and his soy boy son as they endlessly walk through forgettable forests and mountains and engage in small-scale battles with a limited number of monster types.

Now, to be fair, there are some epic moments here and there. However, the overall emphasis on emotional storytelling over balls-to-the-wall action and gory combat felt severely underwhelming for me. While the story may be engaging for those who appreciate it, there isn't much replay value after completing it once. I struggled to finish a second playthrough of the 2018 game in preparation for Ragnarok, and by the time I got to Ragnarok, I was utterly exhausted with the gameplay style and simply pushed through it to reach the end. I doubt I will ever revisit this game when I could instead replay God of War 2, which remains a high point in the series for me.

So yeah, happy for everyone involved in the making of that game, glad that Chris Judge had his moment on stage, but I don't really care about those games.

One thing you are right, the replayability is trash ... finished the first game on ps4 and went to try the updated version for ps5 and just could not ... and will only play Ragnarok when it comes do ps plus ... two many havy narratives driven games, GoW didnt need to be one more ... well thats life on sony camp

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The new ones get an "exclusive bump" in ratings I think. If they changed the skins of the protags, the exact same game would be received as a solid 7/10. Since it's an "exclusive", it gets an extra 2 points from most people. Coasting off the old trilogy.
That worked so well for Days Gone and The Order 1886, they got all 10/10 scores

Drizzlehell

Banned
That worked so well for Days Gone and The Order 1886, they got all 10/10 scores
But Days Gone is really good. I think it got a lot of shit upon release for being buggy.

The Order is just straight up trash, though. They couldn't sell anyone on that shit even if it had Dwayne Johnson in it.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Kinda agree. I miss the old GOW. The music the gameplay, the gore the boobs. It's so Fucking epic and true M18 experience. The new GOW? Fucking feels like PG13. The only thing i like about new GOW is that the story and gameplay is abit better.

The same feeling i have when playing Elden Ring. I really miss the Old dark soul. Really hated the open world aspect of the game.

In the nutshell, both GOW and Elden Ring are Overrated.
Yeah .. Elden Ring ( even as a good game ) is the most overrated game of all time in a close tie with breath of the wild ... original souls formula is miles better in everyway ( in my opinion)

3liteDragon

The new ones get an "exclusive bump" in ratings I think. If they changed the skins of the protags, the exact same game would be received as a solid 7/10. Since it's an "exclusive", it gets an extra 2 points from most people. Coasting off the old trilogy.
It's the other way around. If it was multiplat, it would've been praised to high heavens by some on here but because it happens to be a console exclusive to a certain platform, problems...

Bernardougf

Gold Member
But Days Gone is really good. I think it got a lot of shit upon release for being buggy.

The Order is just straight up trash, though. They couldn't sell anyone on that shit even if it had Dwayne Johnson in it.
The order is a great minigame ... as a full fledged title hell no.. but it had a lot of potential

Drizzlehell

Banned
The order is a great minigame ... as a full fledged title hell no.. but it had a lot of potential
The visuals looked great, I'll give it that. But as far as those "cinematic" games go, I think this was the worst offender of them all. Seriously, all I remember from that game is slowly walking and listening to the dialogue or watching cutscenes, with some occassional QTE set pieces where you had to fight off a werewolf... oh, and I think you shot a tesla gun at some point or something.

Freeman76

By the time I got to the end I was totally sick of Atreus. I dont think he was written very well at all. I probably would have liked the game more if it was less story focussed, it was mostly bollocks. I still wanted to carry on playing to 100% the game so they did something right, but the last mission i was tempted to skip the cutscenes and rush to the end, not a sign of an all-time great imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom