• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

DrXym

Captain_Spanky said:
A review, by definition, is not objective. It's an opinion. There are writing standards certainly, but the conveying of enthusiasm is a perfectly legitimate style.

Sometimes, sometimes not.

For example if I am looking to find out if a movie is good or not I would favour a professionally written, intelligent and constructive critique over the gushing and juvenile writing style of Harry Knowles any day.

Likewise with games. A review can still be enthusiastic but it should do so by drawing reference to how the game is good, what it gets right, why those things are right etc. Also no game is perfect so a review shouldn't gloss over (but shouldn't exaggerate either) things it doesn't get right. Just gushing out unqualified hyperboles simply isn't acceptable.

Some sites and magazines are clearly better than others in this regard.

TTP said:
And sound. I think uncompressed sound eats a lot of space. BTW, do we know if game supports DTS? (Please do)

2qn42t1.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
And sound. I think uncompressed sound eats a lot of space. BTW, do we know if game supports DTS? (Please do)
It's highly doubtful that the game has any uncompressed sounds. Just imagine how much disc speed would be wasted on streaming huge uncompressed sound files - especially in a game that relies on streaming level data so much, they cannot afford such waste. My guess is that the game just has a lot of stuff in it, no repetition of anything, and also some high quality bonus videos probably.

Denzar

Combichristoffersen said:
9+ languages? What could those be? English (duh), French, German, Spanish.. Portuguese? What else?

Dutch, Italian, and, uhm....

And I wouldn't be so sure of the English language option though... inFAMOUS was missing that here in the Benelux.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Deepack said:

And I wouldn't be so sure of the English language option though... inFAMOUS was missing that here in the Benelux.

Sure? It was patched in all versions upon release.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Deepack said:
It was patched day one, yeah. But it wasn't on the disc in the Benelux. Don't know about the rest of Europe.

Very odd. Italian version was patched, so I assumed every version was. That sucks.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Deepack said:

Would make no sense to release a version here in Scandinavia without English language option though, as I'd hazard a guess that most GoW players here would play with English VA and text.

Denzar

Would make no sense to release a version here in Scandinavia without English language option though, as I'd hazard a guess that most GoW players here would play with English VA and text.

Same in Holland and Belgium, man.

When the news hit the Benelux Sucker Punch's message boards were stormed by outraged gamers demanding for English VA. Sucker Punch delivered though, so in the end no harm was done.

I hope Sony learned their lesson.

It's common that English sitcoms, programs, etc... are dubbed in France, Germany, Italy etc... But in the Benelux we use subtitles (in dutch speaking parts at least) and hate dubbed stuff. I guess it's the same in Scandinavia then.

Combichristoffersen

Deepack said:
It's common that English sitcoms, programs, etc... are dubbed in France, Germany, Italy etc... But in the Benelux we use subtitles (in dutch speaking parts at least) and hate dubbed stuff. I guess it's the same in Scandinavia then.

I think they use a lot of dubbing in Spain too. In fact, I've always wondered why Spain, Germany and France are all so hellbent on dubbing everything into their native languages, if it's just a remnant of the historical animosity between the 'big playas' in European history (the British Empire, Germany/Preussen, France and Spain), or if media companies just assume that people in those countries for some reason aren't as fluent in English as the rest of Europe.

And yeah, it's the same in Scandinavia. Generally the only things that get dubbed here are games, TV shows and movies aimed at children. The rest uses subtitles.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The game has 5 MB install only?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ULTROS! said:

The need of a given amount of free space doesn't always mean the game installs data. It might use the HDD for caching, hence the need for some free space.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well... I'm glad it's not 5 gig. I'm running out of space due to PSOne games, demos, and PSN games.

Malvolio

Just played the first two for the first time recently on the PS3. Loved every minute of it. In fact, I grabbed Chain of Olympus on the PSP after playing them because I just had to have more before 3 releases. The demo for GoW3 had me giggling like a schoolgirl once I finally played it. That ending sequence brought a huge smile to my face. Can't wait to see more!

Combichristoffersen

Deepack said:
That also explains why we are generally better at speaking English then the French, Spanyards or Germans. :D

True :lol Obviously there are people in those countries that are just as good at English as someone from other parts of Europe, but going by the observations I've made going by by the Internet, TV etc., it seems people from Scandinavia, the Benelux area etc. are generally better at/more comfortable with talking, and reading, English than, say, the average Frenchman, for some reason (more exposition to the English language, maybe?).

ULTROS! said:

Seems so. Or maybe it's for savegames, as the guy above me mentioned.

onken

I think they use a lot of dubbing in Spain too. In fact, I've always wondered why Spain, Germany and France are all so hellbent on dubbing everything into their native languages,

Because if they're anything like the British they probably say "Subtitles?? I don't watch TV to READ stuff..."

ULTROS!

old?

http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/02/21/god-of-war-iii-utilises-35gb-of-blu-ray-space/
Tim Moss, Director of Technology at Sony Santa Monica, has revealed the monstrous amount of space that God of War III is set to take up on Blu-Ray.

In a tweet this morning, Moss states “#GOW3 35Gb of goodness. Thank heavens for Dual Layer Blu-Rays”.

Blu-Ray capacity is currently averaging at 25 for single-layer, with this doubling to 50GB for dual layered discs. Recent developments have also allowed single-layer to reach a capacity of 33.4GB for single-layer, so it’ll be an exciting time for PlayStation 3 owners when Sony begin to adopt larger sizes … the thing is, will the developers have enough content to fill them? We bet Hideo Kojima will!

How much space did Uncharted 2 occupy?

Combichristoffersen

onken said:
Because if they're anything like the British they probably say "Subtitles?? I don't watch TV to READ stuff..."

I've seen some Americans on the Internet with that mentality too. 'I don't want to watch those foreign movies, they don't speak American in them, and I don't watch movies to read'. It's a sad attitude, but what can you do?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JB1981 said:
The game has 1080i support but not 1080p? Kind weird, no?
Not really. 1080p upscaling the way PS3 does it is a waste of effort anyways. You always get better looking picture just leaving your TV to upscale from 720p.
With 1080i support they have oldest HDTVs covered so it's good that they have that in there.

onken

JB1981 said:
The game has 1080i support but not 1080p? Kind weird, no?

Not really, the game's native res is 720p, so if you're one of the great unwashed with a 1080i only set you'll be covered. I don't think there's any situation where you would have a display that supported 1080p but not 720p/1080i.

ULTROS! said:

Here's a revolutionary idea: read the thread BEFORE posting and find out!

ULTROS!

Lagspike_exe said:

Wow.

So this game is as big as... FFXIII. :p

ULTROS!

onken said:
Here's a revolutionary idea: read the thread BEFORE posting and find out!

I couldn't find it in this thread, maybe it's in the other thread. Sorry sleepy. :lol

Nizz

Still surprises me how these fantastic looking games like Uncharted, Killzone 2, and now God of War 3 have no mandatory install. No 5g installs for that matter.

I'm pretty glad I never touched the GoW 3 demo. I'll get the full impact the day I get the game. But I can't help but tune in on Thursday's GTTV episode. Hope they don't spoil too much of anything...

onken

ULTROS! said:
I couldn't find it in this thread, maybe it's in the other thread. Sorry sleepy. :lol

I'll let you off because I like your avatar, but the only reason we're talking languages currently is because we were wondering how they managed to fill so much space :)

Cruzader

Banned
Guys are the Ultimate Editions(UE) selling out in the US??? Or is it only OOS on Amazon??? I have it preordered(both just incase I dont want to spend $100) so I was just curious since some ppls are saying some are selling them for $200+ online elsewhere? Does that mean the Ultimate edition could become rare or no?

BTW, Im still wondering if the UE is worth it. Anyone know if the EU Documentary is a disk or downloadable PSN video??? Only thing worth it for me is the video(only if its a disk) and the extra arena with 7 extra challenges.

Firewire

Banned
Cruzader said:
Guys are the Ultimate Editions(UE) selling out in the US??? Or is it only OOS on Amazon??? I have it preordered(both just incase I dont want to spend $100) so I was just curious since some ppls are saying some are selling them for $200+ online elsewhere? Does that mean the Ultimate edition could become rare or no?

BTW, Im still wondering if the UE is worth it. Anyone know if the EU Documentary is a disk or downloadable PSN video??? Only thing worth it for me is the video(only if its a disk) and the extra arena with 7 extra challenges.

I know my EB Games (Canada) which is basically Gamestop won't take any more pre-orders on the UE version.

ULTROS!

I guess I really am that sleepy (since it was posted a lot and found out just now). :lol

Well, usually the obvious factors of occupying the big space are:

1. High-detailed 3D Models especially for the backgrounds (hi-detailed characters are usually around 30mb+++ in .obj/.3ds/other 3d format form)
2. Voices, Sound Effects and Music (is Europe having 9 languages from what I've read? So Kratos will be talking in Spanish?)
3. Hi-Res textures.

Maybe the God of War III world would be very VERY big.

Top Bottom