• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 4 Announcement At Destination PlayStation Hinted By Future Shop, Removed

ironcreed

Banned
It better be a new character/world.

If it stars Kratos, will officially not care. That storyline is DONE, and it's incredibly lazy to go back to it.

This. A new God of War, in a new mythology and I'll actually have some real interest. The Kratos story is done... please don't burn it.

Torraz

As long as the new character (if its not Kratos) is just as big as a jerk as Kratos I'm very fine with a new main star.

NIGHT-

This franchise really didn't need another game... But whatever I hope they find a way to keep it from being stale

apana

I think we are ready to move beyond some aspects of the Kratos personality.

Hephaestus: "Tell me, has Aphrodite conquered another God of War?"

Kratos: "That is a question you should ask your wife."

He never had a way with words but c'mon now, that's the kind of reply I'd expect from a marriage counselor.

CamHostage

This is what, the sixth rumor or leak of GoW4? Does anyone NOT know about this game's upcoming release at this point? Just give us something damnit, I need to violently kill some mythical creatures!

Future Shop never knew jack about any GoW4 leaks. They just posted the most popular running rumor to get Twitter followers before getting to the event.

I so appreciate Future Shop tweeting from the floor (I'm sure this businessman's event is supposed to be kept private, but Sony doesn't whip the reins on attendees since they'll be taking their info back to their pimply-faced store clerks anyway... actually, this is the first I recall anybody ever live-blogging the event, usually we just get sneaks from a GAF-friendly store manager.) That said, they are not in the know.

Helscream

Banned
Well I will say that according to greek mythology. You still have Uranus who was the Titan that was Gaia's consort. He is the father of the Titans, Cyclopes, Furies, Gigantes, and Hecatonchires.

So "IF" Sony Santa Monica wanted to stick with greek mythology. This is the only path I could think of it they are restricting themselves to the greek mythology.

injurai

Banned
I like that idea. Norse Mythology, Egyptian, Mayan. So many to choose from. :)

Yeah, any pantheon that can provide excellent set pieces, and contains plenty of stories involving the gods and there interventions with the world.

I think Norse would be okay, no real complaints if it ends up happening, I just don't think it would be my favorite choice. Egyptian however would be awesome. The Greek and Egyptian cultures shared a good deal of influence, and would provide some awesome set pieces. Mayan is pretty awesome and unique, but is a world away, and probably not likely. Shinto would actually be amazing too, with its vast mythologies. This would most definitely appeal to the Japanese audience.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
On the subject of switching mythologies

1) They can change mythologies, but keep many of the underlying systems and concepts intact, and get complaints of merely reskinning GOW.

2) They can change mythologies, completely overhaul everything about the gameplay and visuals, and fail to capitalize on all the time and energy they've already invested in GOW on PS3.

3). They can make another GOW game, people will expect it to be similar, and they will be able to keep up the momentum they gained making GOW3.

Of course, some people will complain whether it's too samey or too different; you can't please everyone. But it's hard for me to imagine they'd want to just change universes and still call it GOW.

Well I will say that according to greek mythology. You still have Uranus who was the Titan that was Gaia's consort. He is the father of the Titans, Cyclopes, Furies, Gigantes, and Hecatonchires.

So "IF" Sony Santa Monica wanted to stick with greek mythology. This is the only path I could think of it they are restricting themselves to the greek mythology.

Ouranos isn't a Titan (although, of course, neither is Gaea).

If this is true, I hope it's Ready at Dawn developing it. I'd like to see what Santa Monica can do with a new franchise gameplay-wise.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

1) They can change mythologies, but keep many of the underlying systems and concepts intact, and get complaints of merely reskinning GOW.

2) They can change mythologies, completely overhaul everything about the gameplay and visuals, and fail to capitalize on all the time and energy they've already invested in GOW on PS3.

3). They can make another GOW game, people will expect it to be similar, and they will be able to keep up the momentum they gained making GOW3.

Of course, some people will complain whether it's too samey or too different; you can't please everyone. But it's hard for me to imagine they'd want to just change universes and still call it GOW.
Well, "Kratos" and "God of War" are recognizable names, so it will be extremely difficult for them to ditch them and concentrate on something entirely new. I don't see them introducing a new mythology, though; the third option seems more likely. New God of War game with Kratos and multiplayer(?)

dummydecoy

As much as I love GOW, I just can't believe there's gonna be another God of War.
I mean, SSM pretty much abandoned God of War 3 when it came out, like they were sick and tired of the franchise as evidenced by the lack of DLC (stupid skin pack don't count). I can't imagine them working on God of War 4 immediately after 3. hmmmm

If there is indeed gonna be a GOW4, can a junior member like me work on the OT?
Hehe, I know it's a huge task, but I think I got the photoshop skillz.
Plus, the OT will come with an exclusive PS3 tema by me
(gif slideshow preview heh)
xusHK.gif

Thores

Here's my guess as for when the general public's gonna see it.

This season of The Tester has the winner getting a job with Sony's God of War studio, right? I'm thinking that in the final episode, they announce that the specific game that person is working on will be God of War 4. Then they show him/her (and us, the viewers) a teaser trailer.

They seem to be going pretty nuts with their advertising and featured games on the show this year. It'd be kind of a weird spot to debut it but it still feels about right.

injurai

Banned

My vote is after Kratos has destroy the pretty much the entire Greek Pantheon, the Egyptian gods a stones throw across the Mediterranean decide to step in. At this point perhaps Kratos is looking to finally find rest only to be pursued. At which his rage is too much and all of the Egyptian pantheon finds themselves dead at the end of GoW6. Only to move onto some other mythology.

I think if they don't switch mythologies for the next game, they surely will have to to do more main titles. I also don't think they could get away using a character other than Kratos without ruining the integrity of the series.

Hmm maybe Jaffe will move back on board??? We can only hope, although Stig has done a great job.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Santa Monica should try some one shot title and something completely new( like what ND doing right now with The Last of Us ) and keep and prepare GOW4 for PS4/next gen.

CamHostage

If this is true, I hope it's Ready at Dawn developing it. I'd like to see what Santa Monica can do with a new franchise gameplay-wise.

Seconded the R.A.D. job recommendation, but as far as Santa Monica taking on a new franchise, I'd actually like to see them give their old franchise a revisit first. More Kinetica, please!

Clevinger

PleaseDon'tHaveKratosPleaseDon'tHaveKratosPleaseDon'tHaveKratosPleaseDon'tHaveKratosPleaseDon'tHaveKratosPleaseDon'tHaveKratosPleaseDon'tHaveKratos

Promote it with Kratos.
Have a totally over the top first half hour, which has become the trademark of the series. And let him die, indefinitly in these 30 minutes.
Start over with a new setting and main character. Bring Kratos back as end boss.

DerZuhälter;34956219 said:
Promote it with Kratos.
Have a totally over the top first half hour, which has become the trademark of the series. And let him die, indefinitly in these 30 minutes.
Start over with a new setting and main character. Bring Kratos back as end boss.

That would be really awesome.

DieH@rd

Banned
I've recently played trough GoW3 and Ghost of Sparta. Awesome franchise.

Also, they dont need to switch to new gods, story of Kratos is definitely not over [ending of GoS].

Bowdz

Seconded the R.A.D. job recommendation, but as far as Santa Monica taking on a new franchise, I'd actually like to see them give their old franchise a revisit first. More Kinetica, please!

THIS!!!!!! Kinetica + GoW3 engine = GOTY.

If anyone followed the SSM interviews before GoW3 released they all (especially Stig) said that they wanted to take a break before returning to the franchise (I know Stig said he wanted to take at least 6 years off from GoW). Sadly, it sounds like SSM are working on GoW4, but I honestly can't imagine it being better than the first three. My only hope is that they don't go the Jaffe route and have Kratos start killing other mythologies' gods as well.

Italian mythology would be very similar the Greek, maybe too similar. They pretty much share the same God's but with different names and I think Apollo is the only one they share in name. Shinto would be totally out of the box if they used it, totally awesome too. Shinto statue designs look very bad ass and would lend well in a game. Egypt would be amazing too as would Mayan mythology. I do have a feeling we will be getting Norse though, not my first choice but at least it would be a step in the right direction. Reasons why I think they will go Norse over any other mythology? Its the most recognizable and mainstream. We will never get a GoW set in Shinto or Egyptian at least anytime soon.

It would be total bad ass if the first level in GoW4 is Kratos crossing over from Greek mythology onto the next in a monster boss fight. Like starting in Greece at the beginning of the level than entering Egypt or something after a battle to where the rest of the series will take place.

Thinking about it. The easiest and cheapest way to go for it, which I personally fear, is going back to the time traveling poop with the Sisters of Fate.
It's so obvious that most forget about it. But having Earth plagued and flooded this might be the way to straighten out the differences between Kratos and our *timeline*.

Liamario

Banned
I think they can get away with a reincarnation of Kratos. He doesn't have to be called Kratos, just have physical similarities. This will allow to start a new story without upsetting fans of the previous trilogy.

They can then implement and overhauled combat and gameplay system.

Norse mythology would be perfect for this. Egyptian mythological locations could potentially be very similar to what we've already seen.

Paches

God of War 4 being announced soon + Jaffe leaving ESP to make casual games =

God of War 4 confirmed Facebook game.

Promote it with Kratos.

love this idea.

Yeah I don't care at all for another Syphon Filter. Way too many games like it on the market these days and besides, we all know it will just turn into a generic 3rd person action game. I would have been all for this in 2007 but in 2012 I would rather see Sony use their resources on a new Jak or Medievil game on the PS3

rdrr gnr

There are many other 'Gods of War' in many other mythologies. I do hope we have seen the last of Kratos, but not the last of that amazing engine.

Sadly... This series is getting as stale as Halo.

Nope.

Norse mythology. Bring it.

Yep!

My thoughts on another God of War...So by the end of what happens through all these games, Kratos fucked up A LOT of shit up. I say that you have a new main guy introduced and he is set on going and taking out Kratos after having his entire family die in a flood or some other catalyst that Kratos caused in the other games. Make Kratos the bad guy and this new character go after him just like Kratos did to Ares in the first game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Promote it with Kratos.

So kinda "Metal Gear Solid 2" it, lol.
It is a nice idea though, though doing the same thing in MGS2 didn't exactly go down well with a lot of people.

I think that a co-op game for PS3/Vita (with WiFi play) would be very cool and with some new gameplay mechanics and a different storyline could really shake up the IP.

Massa

The writing and story in God of War 2 and 3 were so awful, who gives a shit what they'll do with it. Just give me more epic gameplay.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They should revolutionise the series by introducing a likeable protagonist and gameplay that doesn't make me fall asleep every five minutes.

*buys and plays anyway*

Top Bottom