• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension Has A Secret Code, But What Does It Mean?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Update 2:

We have an update on this one.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/god-of-war-ascension/Cistern_Painting_Code_(QUJIKPHIUEEEKMJQUJ)

You can make the image disappear and it will show an image of the earth with the following text....

"When the Earth stops, the journey begins... "

There are symbols on the ground in the area which correspond to the translation. If you stand on them and press R1 in the order of the code, the painting and the prophecy change.

Sun
GoW-0000.jpg

Bird
GoW-0001.jpg

Bull
GoW-0002.jpg

Lion
GoW-0003.jpg

GoW-0943.jpg

When the Earth stops, the journey begins...

Update:

So to compile for OP:

English: SUN BIRD BULL LION SUN
French: SOLEIL OISEAU BOEUF LION SON SOLEIL
Portuguese: SOL PASSARO TOURO LEAO SOL
Spanish: SOL AVE TORO LEON SOL

One of the things that these are all common to is Mithras:

http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Mi-Ni/Mithras.html

"The Persians saw Mithras as the principal assistant of Ahura Mazda, the god of goodness and light. Mithras battled demons, sorcerers, and other evildoers and helped the souls of worthy humans. In another role, as a god of war, he rode in a golden chariot pulled by four horses."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraic_mysteries

"The iconic scenes of Mithras show him being born from a rock, slaughtering a bull, and sharing a banquet with the god Sol (the Sun). One statue had its base perforated so that it could serve as a fountain and the base of another has the mask of the water god. Sometimes he also has other weapons like bows and arrows and there are also animals like dog, serpent, dolphin, eagle, some other birds, a lion, crocodile, lobster and snail around. On some reliefs, there is a bearded figure identified as Oceanus, the water god, and on some there are the four wind gods. In these reliefs, the four elements could be invoked together. Sometimes Victoria, Luna, Sol and Saturn also seem to play a role. Saturn particularly appears to hand over the dagger to Mithras so that he could perform his mighty deeds."

http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Mi-Ni/Mithras.html#ixzz2NL7Rr8Er

"Some scholars identify Mithras with Mitra, a mythic figure of the Aryan peoples who invaded northern India around the l600s B . C . Mitra, the god of friendship, was associated with the sun and served as one of the judges of the dead. He was supposed to bring worthy people back to life after the universe ended. Some of Mitra's functions lingered in the developing mythology of Mithras."

Fans of the the popular God of War series likely know by now that the original God of War had a phone number hidden inside it that, when accessed by the player, actually resulted in a recorded message from none other than Kratos himself. They also discovered that both God of War II and God of War III included secret website urls hidden within the torturous tales of Olympus. Well, with a series of secret messages resulting in real-world interactions, it appears that the newest game in the series, God of War: Ascension, continues the tradition with a cryptic message players can find deep inside the game.

God_of_War_Ascension_Aletheia_English-2-640x360.jpg

The message is found on a painting of Mount Olympus. The caption to the painting reads:

Of all the prophecies I have seen, this one haunts my dreams.
QUJIKPHIUEEEKMJQUJ
The full truth of this nightmare yet remains hidden. – Aletheia

What does it mean? So far only the game's developers know, and they aren't saying. But we here at the GT offices have been putting our minds to work and have parsed out a few clues:

Aletheia is the Greek personification of truth.
It is not a Caesarian Shift or a single letter substitution cipher. There are a limited number of keys for these kinds of ciphers, and none of them create a readable message.
The code starts and ends with QUJ. If it is a cipher the key may only be three letters long.

There are many possible ciphers and solutions and some of these result in the following messages, none of which are probably the right answer:

BIG TO A STILL LONG BIG
RUN FISH FULL LION RUN
TBA USE DUB III SCA TBA
KEY NUMBNESS SUZY KEY
BEG LUCKLESS SUNG BEG
GET LOCKLESS SORT GET
HER DAY NEVER YET HER

One possibility is that it is a string of acronyms. QUJ means “reversing a bearing” and IK is an animation term “Inverse Kinesis” EEE may mean E3 and PHI may mean the Greek letter. But together they still don’t make much sense.

Going into the options menu and changing the text language for the game changes the string of text:

English: QUJIKPHIUEEEKMJQUJ
French: QJFTRFJRQTEUCJTUNFRJHQJHQJFTRF
Portuguese: MHDILMMLKHNHOKHDRLHMHD
Spanish: QJFLTORJPJFOJIQJF

Each of these samples start and end with the same letters. In French it is a six letter string, in the others it is a three letter string. In each language the number of letters in the string is different. That they are different but still share some traits would suggest the message is a phrase translated into multiple languages, rather than a code designed to be entered somewhere in the game.

God_of_War_Ascension_Aletheia_multi-640x360.jpg

For the time being the code remains unbroken. But undoubtedly amateur code breakers, and perhaps even professionals, are crunching numbers and testing keys at this very moment. No one knows if the code will be solved quickly (the collective intellect of the internet excels at breaking codes) or if it will stand the test of time (shorter codes are much harder to break than longer ones). If or when the true meaning of the message is revealed we will let you know here on Side Mission.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...nsion-has-a-secret-code-but-what-does-it-mean

sawy0sdn9kxl.png

KidBeta

The number of possibilities for the cipher is huge its all possible strings in any language (or english if we restrict it to that) that are that long, of which there will be numerous, without knowing the key theres nearly no way to know the actual correct result.

darkwing

hmm amazing that in all the languages, the first few characters are the same as the last ones, so that means first word of the phrase is the same as the last word?

Does the fact that the recurring character-string goes from three letters to six in English to French suggest that it's an actual word (that's three letters long in English and six in French)?

Also "EEE" meaning E3 seems plausible.

Remember: if QUJ, QJF, QJFTRF and MHD are repeating, they are either space or some common word. It's a cryptic message so it must be a common decoding word. It's not a literal acronym.

So: Which 6 letter french word is the same as 3 letter spanish word, since both have QJF?

Also, that EEE is throwing me off as I don't think there ever is a word with three letters back to back. I don't know lol.

Celestial

Banned
Pretty sure it is supposed to be Mount Olympus, no doubt referencing the fall of the greek gods and the events of GoW3 or even what comes afterwards.

This makes more sense although i dont know why Mount Olympus is supposed to have chains.......well the important thing here seems to be the code so....

"Of all the prophecies I have seen, this one haunts my dreams."

this is soo about the future of GoW, something after GoW3. get to it detective gaf, I'll cheer you as I lurk this thread. :)

since I doubt I can contribute :(

ekim

Remember: if QUJ, QJF, QJFTRF and MHD are repeating, they are either space or some common word. It's a cryptic message so it must be a common decoding word. It's not a literal acronym.

So: Which 6 letter french word is the same as 3 letter spanish word, since both have QJF?

Also, that EEE is throwing me off as I don't think there ever is a word with three letters back to back. I don't know lol.

mclem

One quick word of warning: It may be a mistake to assume that all languages are using the same cipher. I think it's quite likely, but probably best to not take it as guaranteed.

vladdamad

It would probably make sense that 'EEE' is the end of a word with a double letter, and the start of another word with the same letter, like 'still life' or whatever the example is in the OP.

Also, in what context is this painting shown in the game? Could shed some light on things

Kifimbo

Might be the end of a word and the start of another.

Example: still and life.

Trevelyan

Banned

Could EEE literally just mean E3?

mclem

The letter distribution seems - at a glance - wildly different in portuguese than in the other languages. Is there a letter that's used more significantly there than in E/F/S?

vladdamad

also, judging from previous teasers, is is it probable that this is some sort of url? it doesn't look like it, obviously, with the same three letters at the start and end, but it would fit in with the past easter eggs of the same sort

grkazan12

I wouldn't mind another Kratos game especially on the PS4, but I would love it if SSM tried to tackle another mythology like Norse or my dream would be a game set in Egypt. I don't know what the rest your thoughts are on the this topic, but I feel that with the ending of God of War 3, I feel like they could start fresh in the storyline. With the Greek gods gone, civilization could rebuild itself maybe with a new set of gods, maybe Egyptian. Idk You could eventually role that into ancient Egypt and the building of the pyramids.

Top Bottom