• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension Has A Secret Code, But What Does It Mean?

Many people seem to forget about this. SSM probably added it just to fuck with our minds and to leave the future open for anything, but come on. It's time for them to address GOW3's mysterious ending.

in gow director meeting video, when asked about gow 3 ending, stig said he already had some general idea about where the game could go in the future and he already put some stuff in gow 3 to support it.

ekim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraic_mysteries

The iconic scenes of Mithras show him being born from a rock, slaughtering a bull, and sharing a banquet with the god Sol (the Sun).

One statue had its base perforated so that it could serve as a fountain and the base of another has the mask of the water god. Sometimes he also has other weapons like bows and arrows and there are also animals like dog, serpent, dolphin, eagle, some other birds, a lion, crocodile, lobster and snail around. On some reliefs, there is a bearded figure identified as Oceanus, the water god, and on some there are the four wind gods. In these reliefs, the four elements could be invoked together. Sometimes Victoria, Luna, Sol and Saturn also seem to play a role. Saturn particularly appears to hand over the dagger to Mithras so that he could perform his mighty deeds.

perhaps every language has a different cipher key
Could someone please give me the exact chapter where the painting can be found?

I saw it in my first playthrough and took a picture of it, but I had the game language set to English at the time, my copy is the English/Chinese/Korean version, I'd love to see if there's any difference in another language, but can't remember where the painting is......

http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Mi-Ni/Mithras.html#ixzz2NL7Rr8Er
Some scholars identify Mithras with Mitra, a mythic figure of the Aryan peoples who invaded northern India around the l600s B . C . Mitra, the god of friendship, was associated with the sun and served as one of the judges of the dead. He was supposed to bring worthy people back to life after the universe ended. Some of Mitra's functions lingered in the developing mythology of Mithras.

fit nicely following gow 3 ending

Ricky_R

in gow director meeting video, when asked about gow 3 ending, stig said he already had some general idea about where the game could go in the future and he already put some stuff in gow 3 to support it.

Hmmm interesting. Watched all the behind the scenes videos, but I don't remember much of it. Was there a GAF detective thread or some info out about what were the things put on GOW3 to support his view on where the game could go on in the future?

Sid

Some scholars identify Mithras with Mitra, a mythic figure of the Aryan peoples who invaded northern India around the l600s B . C . Mitra, the god of friendship, was associated with the sun and served as one of the judges of the dead. He was supposed to bring worthy people back to life after the universe ended. Some of Mitra's functions lingered in the developing mythology of Mithras.

So Kratos will be brought back to life and then we'll get to kill Mithras?

Kifimbo

Thanks to everyone involved.

The key was really the three letters spanish word and six letters French word. SOL/SOLEIL is the only one I found.

angels.phillipe

Neo Member
Have the same in portuguese:

M H D I L M M L K H N H O K H D R L H M H D

S O L P A S S A R O T O U R O L E A O S O L

Sol = Sun
Passaro = Bird
Touro = Bull
Leao = Lion

edit: beaten.

So Kratos will be brought back to life and then we'll get to kill Mithras?

well the humans are basically all dead by the end of gow3, all you see is their souls. so 2 scenarios could happen

1. mitras resurrect worthy humans, athena not wanting mitras to control humanity grab Kratos and somehow resurrect him to battle Mitras

2. Mitras saw Kratos as worthy and bring him back to life, ask Kratos to do something for him for the reward of resurrecting his family. something like that

Drencrom

This must be it

Well done GAF

Batman

Banned
They still have plenty of Greek gods leftover for the next game, they don't have to jump into another mythology.

Margalis

Banned
One possibility is that it is a string of acronyms. QUJ means “reversing a bearing” and IK is an animation term “Inverse Kinesis” EEE may mean E3 and PHI may mean the Greek letter. But together they still don’t make much sense.

IK stands for "inverse kinematics", not "inverse kinesis."

<Insert "the more you know" jingle>

So to compile for OP:

English: SUN BIRD BULL LION SUN
French: SOLEIL OISEAU BOEUF LION SON SOLEIL
Portuguese: SOL PASSARO TOURO LEAO SOL
Spanish: SOL AVE TORO LEON SOL

One of the things that these are all common to is Mithras:

http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Mi-Ni/Mithras.html

"The Persians saw Mithras as the principal assistant of Ahura Mazda, the god of goodness and light. Mithras battled demons, sorcerers, and other evildoers and helped the souls of worthy humans. In another role, as a god of war, he rode in a golden chariot pulled by four horses."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraic_mysteries

"The iconic scenes of Mithras show him being born from a rock, slaughtering a bull, and sharing a banquet with the god Sol (the Sun). One statue had its base perforated so that it could serve as a fountain and the base of another has the mask of the water god. Sometimes he also has other weapons like bows and arrows and there are also animals like dog, serpent, dolphin, eagle, some other birds, a lion, crocodile, lobster and snail around. On some reliefs, there is a bearded figure identified as Oceanus, the water god, and on some there are the four wind gods. In these reliefs, the four elements could be invoked together. Sometimes Victoria, Luna, Sol and Saturn also seem to play a role. Saturn particularly appears to hand over the dagger to Mithras so that he could perform his mighty deeds."

"Some scholars identify Mithras with Mitra, a mythic figure of the Aryan peoples who invaded northern India around the l600s B . C . Mitra, the god of friendship, was associated with the sun and served as one of the judges of the dead. He was supposed to bring worthy people back to life after the universe ended. Some of Mitra's functions lingered in the developing mythology of Mithras."

Ricky_R

But why hint at this now when GoW 4 is years away?

Only God knows what is really happening inside Sony first party studios. Some of them have mentioned that they working on new IP's (Stig even confirmed it on an interview before last E3), but we don't really know if plans changed or if Sony put pressure to keep working on a certain franchise (GOW for example).

Who knows if Stig stopped working on whatever he was working and was tasked to make GOW4 for PS4 considering he did an amazing job creating epic spectacles, boss battles and set-pieces with GOW3, and the game is more advanced than we imagined? I know it's a stretch, but still possible.

Imagine an opening more epic and with more scale than GOW3's on the PS4.

Top Bottom